Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

First off, if you are new to the show and haven't seen the intro yet, watch this. It doesn't give anything of the show away, but is just an awesome intro for a show about tech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY8NO8R4AI8

Season 2 preview (thanks SpaceAceJase): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBF38GXVzH4

Recap from last season: The Giant is about to be a huge success! Joe can't handle the fact that he hasn't changed the entire face of computing, and torches that which he created. Cameron leaves the company to start creating... CompuServ? Bosworth took the hit and went to jail. Gordon shaved his beard, surprising many people that didn't realize it was the same character. Donna turned down a sweet paying job with Cardiff Electronics to play with Cameron on the phone lines.

The Main Players

Joe MacMillan played by Lee Pace
It has been over a year since Joe MacMillan made his destructive exit from Cardiff Electric and set out on a solitary trek to Fisk Observatory. There, he reconnected with Sara Wheeler, a college friend and intellectual sparring partner who knew Joe before his creative ambition was corrupted by Machiavellian tendencies. They have been together ever since, and Sara’s love and understanding have helped Joe tame his inner demons and rediscover his better, truer self. After sidelining himself for a year, Joe is eager to return to work, but his reputation remains a major hurdle. With few options, he accepts a job offer from Sara’s father, Jacob Wheeler, the formidable chief of a Dallas oil company called Westgroup Energy. It’s a drone job, but Joe’s passion for tech and his knack for the breakthrough idea means he won’t be at the bottom for long. As Joe climbs the ladder at Westgroup Energy, he will re-enter the lives of the people he hurt at Cardiff. And Joe’s struggle to overcome their skepticism won’t be the only hurdle he faces.

Gordon Clark played by Scoot McNairy

As president of Cardiff Electric for the past 14 months, Gordon has been burning the candle at both ends to meet the demands of introducing new products while managing a large company. Now Nathan Cardiff has sold off his company, leaving Gordon with a sizable payout and a lot of time on his hands. With Donna happily absorbed with her work at Mutiny, Gordon feels good about taking on the daily responsibilities of the household and parenting that she had shouldered for so long. He builds a computer workshop in the garage, but finds that inspiration eludes him. Thanks to a Mutiny game, Gordon finally gets his tech mojo back; however, in his eagerness to help Mutiny, he may end up creating more problems than he solves.

Cameron Howe played by Mackenzie Davis

After being put through the wringer at Cardiff Electric, Cameron has bounced back and created the company of her dreams in Mutiny. She and her band of misfits, including Cardiff veterans Lev and YoYo, have built and environment where she feels safe, understood and at peace. Despite its early success, Mutiny is in a precarious position, forever playing catch-up in the race to provide sufficient computing power to its online game players. As she confronts the uncomfortable realities of running a business, Cameron finds an unexpected source of emotional support, and maybe more, in Mutiny’s new coder, Tom Rendon.

Donna Clark played by Kerry Bishé

Donna is energized by her work at Mutiny, where she finally has the opportunity to use her talents to their fullest. However, she also recognizes that Mutiny needs organization if it’s going to survive. She’s alarmed by the way the day to day business is being run – or ignored – and tries to convince Cameron of the gravity of the situation, without much success. When Donna notices that the online chat rooms are increasingly attracting users, she suspects she’s found the key to Mutiny’s future. Cameron is skeptical, but Donna lobbies for a block of time and network space to develop the idea further. Consumed by the concept of virtual human connection, Donna grows increasingly disconnected from her life at home.

John Bosworth played by Toby Huss

Released from prison after serving time for embezzlement, Bosworth isn’t sure what he’s coming back to. Cardiff is gone, his divorce has been finalized, and his relationship with his son is uncertain. However, he does have stalwart support from Cameron; their bond has been deepened by their steady correspondence during Bosworth’s incarceration. Cameron gives him a job at Mutiny, where he wrestles with self-doubt and struggles to find his footing among co-workers who are 30 years younger. But Boz has never been a quitter, and he isn’t about to start now.

:boom: NEW PLAYER :boom:
Sara Wheeler played by Aleksa Palladino

A freelance journalist of keen intelligence and wide curiosity, Sara Wheeler has worked hard to forge her own path without relying on the largess of her wealthy father, Jacob Wheeler. When Joe tracked Sara down at Fisk Observatory, she was in deep retreat from the world, smarting from the discovery that her now ex-husband was a schemer after her father’s money. Sara and Joe fell deeply in love as they helped each other heal, and have begun building a life together. Sara believes in Joe and his potential to do great things, but remains alert to the possibility that he could slip back into his manipulative old ways. And as much as she loves him, Sara won’t put herself in a position to be hurt again.

ballistics statistics fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Surprisingly I am.

Toilet Terror
Aug 5, 2006
Swirlie
I really enjoyed season 1 and am fully on board for 2.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
An investment firm. I expect nothing but horrible things :ohdear:

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Same, I loved the first season, but expected it to be cancelled. Was very happy to see they renewed it.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I'm on board.
Can you put together a better first post? I'd like more people to jump onto this one.

Here's a 30 second promo that'll give us an idea of what this season has in store. It looks like a pretty different show to the first season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBF38GXVzH4

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
And they're buying secondhand electronics in a parking lot from a shady motherfucker in a van at midnight. Awesome.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

SpaceAceJase posted:

I'm on board.
Can you put together a better first post? I'd like more people to jump onto this one.

Here's a 30 second promo that'll give us an idea of what this season has in store. It looks like a pretty different show to the first season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBF38GXVzH4

Honestly wasn't trying to make this the official HCF thread, if someone wants to make a better thread I'll close this one

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I'm glad they did the time jump and resetting of where half the characters were at. It seems like they couldve spent a meandering season detailing the Giant Pro development with a coked-out Gordon while Joe has a long "finding himself" arc in the woods and Mutiny treads water with lots of little problems getting set up, so I'm glad they jumped ahead and recapped just enough of what we need to know to move forward.

The new direction seems solid, and I'm glad we'll get to see more Bosworth. Toby Huss is too much of a national treasure to let go.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Solid opening episode, glad to see this show again. Now Sundays are a good contrast between the modern comedic reality (Silicon Valley) and the fictitious dramatic alternate past-tense of HACF.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I have been watching the show, but I forget some of the first season backstories of the characters in Silicon Valley. Is there any room in that show's continuity for a random Mutiny employee redshirt who appears in like one scene of this show to be called Gavin Belson?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Glad to see Cameron is still as mindnumbingly naive and dumb as she was last season. Her "lol anarchy" attitude is great for letting Donna get an insight into what she's going to have to do if she wants their company to stay afloat.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

The lack of beard is really killing Gary for me. After most of season 1 it's just so odd and makes his face look so bland.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'm just glad Toby Huss is back because his character owned last season.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
This premiere already feels like it's gotten a massive shot in the arm with full intent to start anew, using what we know of the characters as a toolkit in a totally new frontier. This is excellent and I'm really glad I stuck through all of S1. Sepinwall was raving about his advance screeners being a major step up. And the music direction is almost certainly going to be completely excellent once more as well.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I watched like two episodes of season 1 - mostly because of the great theme song, I ended up owning three Trentemoller albums thanks to that - and just let it go. Is it improving enough to try season 2? How bad is it if I haven't seen most of season 1?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Binged through season 1 over the weekend and caught the premiere of season 2 just in time.

Good poo poo.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Antti posted:

I watched like two episodes of season 1 - mostly because of the great theme song, I ended up owning three Trentemoller albums thanks to that - and just let it go. Is it improving enough to try season 2? How bad is it if I haven't seen most of season 1?

I would say season 1's main problem is a lack of focus and meandering tone until the last 3 or so episodes. The season 2 premier is a huge step up in quality though so go ahead and watch if you need a weekly dose of Lee Pace

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

Antti posted:

I enjoyed season 1, but you could probably catch up by skimming the wiki just to see why some of the characters act the way they do towards each other.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
Halt and Catch Fire is pretty drat good if you cut it a little slack and take it for what it's best at. As a nostalgia trigger for people my age its pretty effective, but some of the complaints about the character development and storytelling are definitely valid.

Plus it has the same "nobody talks like that" programmer dialogue that Silicon Valley has, but its harder to let it slide if it's not in the service of a joke. But if you can get past that, and some of the unearned dramatic moments, it actually is shaping up to be one of my favorite new shows.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm just glad Toby Huss is back because his character owned last season.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639990&pagenumber=12#lastpost

he does own

Did Dallas/Austin/Houston actually have kooky house startups like California? I just don't see them being able to do that poo poo in some Dallas neighborhood.

Haha I bought a hot Apple IIe from a dude in a van back in 1983, that stuff really did happen.....good times.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 2, 2015

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Still the best part of Season 1:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Keyser S0ze posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639990&pagenumber=12#lastpost

he does own

Did Dallas/Austin/Houston actually have kooky house startups like California? I just don't see them being able to do that poo poo in some Dallas neighborhood.

Haha I bought a hot Apple IIe from a dude in a van back in 1983, that stuff really did happen.....good times.

I really doubt it, and that's why Donna keeps trying to get Cameron to take it seriously. Cam is just "oh whatever, we'll pay some fines, no biggie. Besides, power should be free" and Donna is 3 seconds away from a brain aneurysm because if the county finds out a house not zoned for a business is running a massive business that is tripping the power breakers fines are the least concern.

I get the impression that they're going to continue the idealistic no-rules Cameron until a critical point where all of her "don't worry, it'll sort itself out" results in some massive problems that Donna and Joe will to come in and fix and it'll get shoved in her face that someone has to be accountable and responsible for the business.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

pentyne posted:

I really doubt it, and that's why Donna keeps trying to get Cameron to take it seriously. Cam is just "oh whatever, we'll pay some fines, no biggie. Besides, power should be free" and Donna is 3 seconds away from a brain aneurysm because if the county finds out a house not zoned for a business is running a massive business that is tripping the power breakers fines are the least concern.

I get the impression that they're going to continue the idealistic no-rules Cameron until a critical point where all of her "don't worry, it'll sort itself out" results in some massive problems that Donna and Joe will to come in and fix and it'll get shoved in her face that someone has to be accountable and responsible for the business.

I don't know I kind of got the impression that Cameron realized that if neither of them want to be boss then she can go get the best boss who is need of a job hence the last scene.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Keyser S0ze posted:

Before the bigger, more organized online services appeared everything was just local BBSes run out of someone's house. Granted, I am (and was) in California so I can't really speak with authority to what was happening in Texas but there's no reason that the local companies we had here would run any different there. I don't think any of those "companies" ever really made enough money, or were run by people organized enough, to move into big data centers, and many, many of them were barely legitimate operations. It was just houses with dozens of individual phone lines and computers plugged into surge protectors which were in turn plugged into other surge protectors.

I knew a couple guys in here southern california running popular BBSes, and we're not talking about Silicon Valley or anything. I mean some dude's run down hovel in Fullerton.

At the end of season 1, I thought Mutiny was supposed to be a stand-in for something like Prodigy or Compuserve, but now I think it's just something like those house-run guys running Wildcat and some custom modules.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

ThaGrandCow posted:

I enjoyed season 1, but you could probably catch up by skimming the wiki just to see why some of the characters act the way they do towards each other.

I can confirm that season 1 goes down A LOT smoother when you're binging it, FWIW. The bugs -- Joe being a Don Draper stand-in, Cameron being a petulant child -- feel more like features, and the sluggish pacing takes care of itself, particularly if you have even a vague idea of where they're going with all of it.

S2 premiere was excellent. (Preview) Lee Pace going head-to-head with James Cromwell is gonna be fun.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I liked it. Hoping they don't totally focus on Donna and Cameron, as I still think Joe and Gordon are destined to do more work.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

I only had one problem with the premiere, that was how they just put a couple electrical cords into a neighbors outside socket and powered the entire house again. That much draw on one outlet should have popped the breakers in the neighbors house instantly. I know it's petty, but it just irked me a bit.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

ThaGrandCow posted:

I only had one problem with the premiere, that was how they just put a couple electrical cords into a neighbors outside socket and powered the entire house again. That much draw on one outlet should have popped the breakers in the neighbors house instantly. I know it's petty, but it just irked me a bit.

They weren't powering the whole house with it, although the timing of it just after the power coming back on kinda made it seem otherwise.

On another note, the last 60 seconds of this episode made me happier than season 1 really had any right to. Glad I stuck with it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Jehde posted:

Binged through season 1 over the weekend and caught the premiere of season 2 just in time.

Good poo poo.

Same here. I really enjoyed the show, and I didn't have a real problem with the early part of season 1 like it seems others did. My only real complaint is they was trying too hard at times to find a new man of mystery to replace Don Draper (I am sure this was talked about in the season 1 thread).

Hilario Baldness posted:

I liked it. Hoping they don't totally focus on Donna and Cameron, as I still think Joe and Gordon are destined to do more work.

I am sure (well I hope) that Joe and Gordon will end up doing another project together. I just don't want the show to become the team of D&C versus the team of J&G. It works best when all 4 of them are on the same side. Part me hopes that Joe and Gordon join them at Mutiny to take it to the next level. It can work if done correctly, but I guess that would be a step back for the show?

Also with Mad Men and Breaking Bad gone this is easily the best show on AMC right now.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 2, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ThaGrandCow posted:

This is not the most realistically plotted TV show. I don't think stealing those XTs would have worked out well either.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zythrst posted:

I don't know I kind of got the impression that Cameron realized that if neither of them want to be boss then she can go get the best boss who is need of a job hence the last scene.

No, Cameron thinks they don't need a "boss" because everything is free, man. Donna was trying to tell her "Wtf you can't just steal power from the neighbors" and Cam just laughs and talks about trickle down power and expects to be able to outpay any fines/problems.

In the absence of Donna Cameron is looking at complete insolvency as checks bounce left and right and the county shows up to condemn the property and seize the business assets and evict them. Even if Joe comes in he's going to have to be draconian as gently caress to get the place ship-shape and you know Cameron is going to scream about not needing bosses and rules until poo poo goes down. Her character has been written as "troubled genius+anarchy tendencies" but what gets the most emphasis is that all she wants to do is spit in the face of the system.

nate fisher posted:

Also with Mad Men and Breaking Bad gone this is easily the best show on AMC right now.

No. It's Hell on Wheels.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

pentyne posted:

No, Cameron thinks they don't need a "boss" because everything is free, man. Donna was trying to tell her "Wtf you can't just steal power from the neighbors" and Cam just laughs and talks about trickle down power and expects to be able to outpay any fines/problems.

In the absence of Donna Cameron is looking at complete insolvency as checks bounce left and right and the county shows up to condemn the property and seize the business assets and evict them. Even if Joe comes in he's going to have to be draconian as gently caress to get the place ship-shape and you know Cameron is going to scream about not needing bosses and rules until poo poo goes down. Her character has been written as "troubled genius+anarchy tendencies" but what gets the most emphasis is that all she wants to do is spit in the face of the system.

No. It's Hell on Wheels.

Yeah I watched the episode. My thinking is that she gets that Donna is right to some degree, and wants to bring in Bosworth whom she respects to do the hard things.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Zythrst posted:

Yeah I watched the episode. My thinking is that she gets that Donna is right to some degree, and wants to bring in Bosworth whom she respects to do the hard things.

It was obvious in the bar scene before stealing from the fence that Cameron had realized Donna was right. The fence came in right before she it explicitly, but the ending with her picking up Bosworth from jail was confirmation.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Antti posted:

The music recommendations in the thread were the only good thing about HACF S1.

Well, okay. The Mac unveiling was good, too.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the cast has chemistry off-camera, since the best scenes are when the characters work together. But there are other moments. Kerry Bishe's little pout at the empty box of Oreos in S1 is magical.

Poor Joe. He has no one to blame but himself, but still.

Glad to see this is back.

scarritt
Apr 19, 2010
I also binged this over the weekend, and I fell in love. Joe's gotta be my favorite character (Lee Pace is fun to watch), with Donna being a very close second. I really hope they all get together to work on Mutiny.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Keyser S0ze posted:

he does own

Dell was started and initially run out of a UT dorm room (dobie center).

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Also yeah this season premiere was better than any episode in the first season and I'm actually excited about the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Glad this show is back. I really liked S1. Premiere seemed to be all over the place, but I guess that makes sense since most of the major characters are doing different things. Will there be any significance to the nose bleed I wonder (health issue)?

• Locked thread