Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Giorno thing isn't really an idea that was really hinted at. It was just a "maybe Giorno is here too..." thing on a privilege card and not offered as a real possibility. Nothing like Josuke saving baby Josuke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
i feel like slogging my way through part 5 again, which one is the halfway decent translation

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

bonewitch posted:

i feel like slogging my way through part 5 again, which one is the halfway decent translation

JoJo's colored adventure. I think they're doing it with B&W scans too so you don't have to read it in color if you don't want to. They're not done yet though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Aurain posted:

The Giorno thing isn't really an idea that was really hinted at. It was just a "maybe Giorno is here too..." thing on a privilege card and not offered as a real possibility. Nothing like Josuke saving baby Josuke.

I deliberately avoided listing the Josuke thing because it's not clear that Araki even intended to hint at a time travel plot there.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

ChaosArgate posted:

JoJo's colored adventure. I think they're doing it with B&W scans too so you don't have to read it in color if you don't want to. They're not done yet though.

thanks

Hopefully we get an official translation or an anime at some point

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

E: Batoto has an upload date column, so you can always tell what's newest and in this day and age, what's newest is probably the best option for VA.

Silver2195 posted:

I deliberately avoided listing the Josuke thing because it's not clear that Araki even intended to hint at a time travel plot there.

Very true, and that's personally how I see it too.

It'll be very interesting when we get there in the anime in regards to voice actors.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 3, 2015

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

* Was that guy an alien or did he have a stand?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Why did Josuke's mom freeze his bank accounts after he won and start charging him for meals? Since she froze his account he can't get at the money so how is he supposed to pay for food?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Potsticker posted:

* Was that guy an alien or did he have a stand?

Tbf, this is best left unanswered because Mikitaka's mysterious powers is one of the best things about him.

Senor Candle posted:

Why did Josuke's mom freeze his bank accounts after he won and start charging him for meals? Since she froze his account he can't get at the money so how is he supposed to pay for food?

It was probably a gag.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Beef Waifu posted:

Tbf, this is best left unanswered because Mikitaka's mysterious powers is one of the best things about him.

For sure. The exchange with his mother is one of my favorite scenes in Part 4.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Senor Candle posted:

Josukes mom isnt that smart. Joseph seems to have a 'type'

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Senor Candle posted:

i'm pretty sure she would have been able to access it due to being his mom and all and with him being a minor but overall it's probably just meant as a joke, as meat wife said

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Silver2195 posted:

* Giorno being in Florida
* Silver Chariot Requiem making people's souls evolve into monsters or something like that
* Stands being able to shrink in the Lovers fight
* Stands as "Ghost Ripple" at the beginning of Part 3

* Dio's use of real people like Jack the Ripper as minions
* Grandpa Joseph and the Invisible Baby
* Emperio's origin
* Sandman's character

I think my 2 and 4 are wonky but the first one really miffed me

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
that happened loving once

After the first time he used fake ancient people and they didn't do much better.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Using Jack the Ripper is an easy way of saying "Dio is so evil that even the notorious Jack the Ripper bows down to him". I think it's pretty cool, honestly.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Part 6 is insane and poor Jolyne gets brutally beaten in every fight

Love that it's all in color too

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Aurain posted:

Nothing like Josuke saving baby Josuke.
Josuke saving baby Josuke is dumb. I don't think Araki ever seriously intended for Josuke to save baby Josuke, but if he did then I'm glad he dropped it because that would've been stupid.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

Josuke saving baby Josuke is dumb. I don't think Araki ever seriously intended for Josuke to save baby Josuke, but if he did then I'm glad he dropped it because that would've been stupid.

I like to think he planned initially for Josuke to save baby Josuke, since Araki is really interested by things like time and causality. But he couldn't think of a good way to do it, so gently caress it, it was just a different guy. Which I like better, it's such a swerve for the more genre savvy readers, while still making perfect sense why Josuke looks so much like his rescuer.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Senor Candle posted:

1.) Why isn't Joseph a vampire?
2.) Did they ever find that baby's mom?

1. Star Platinum is just THAT GOOD at blood transfusions or Joseph expelled the vampire extract like Jonathan.

2. No, which is why Joseph adopted her. Suzie Q is the closest thing now since I doubt she'd separate from Joseph after 50 years of marriage.

Senor Candle posted:

I mostly skipped 5 because I couldn't deal with the terrible translation, is there somewhere I could read a good summary of it?

Giorno wants to be a GANGSTAR and makes plans to kill the mafia's leader, a guy with the least coherent backstory ever (though it is intentional) and a Stand ability that has become as memetic as ZA WARUDO, because of him polluting Italy with drugs.

But first, he has to kill all of the people trying to kill the boss alongside a bunch of other people with cool Stand powers (and Abacchio) who are (initially) loyal to the boss.

Eventually, Giorno's Stand becomes the most broken thing in the series and a certain Frenchman ends up living inside of a turtle.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

* Emperio's origin

You know, I really enjoyed Part 6 - Jolyne was incredibly badass, and Pucci felt even more hateable and insane than Dio, not to mention absolutely everything about Weather Report - but at times it seems like the most incoherent part...

I mean, what the gently caress was up with that bone Emporio gave Jolyne? Just... a regular ol' bone lying around that happened to poke Jolyne during the illusion? What about DIO's plan is supposed to make sense? HOW did he even find out about that? Why could Pucci's C-Moon stage apparently age half of a living being, when Made In Heaven explicity doesn't affect those? And why does Green Baby love Rhinoceros Beetles that much? (Barring that thing being just a weird Beatles joke)

I'd also like to state that the very first Stand user Jolyne fights - the prisoner who could shrink people, and who had a habit of forcing those people to wear the corpses of tiny animals as suits - is probably the most despicable one-off villain in the entire series, for me. She... she killed an adorable little parrot. And forced a guard to live in its skin before dismembering him. But somehow, it's the "killed and hollowed out a parrot" part that really got to me. :(

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

hoobajoo posted:

I like to think he planned initially for Josuke to save baby Josuke, since Araki is really interested by things like time and causality. But he couldn't think of a good way to do it, so gently caress it, it was just a different guy. Which I like better, it's such a swerve for the more genre savvy readers, while still making perfect sense why Josuke looks so much like his rescuer.
Josuke saving baby Josuke is dumb because the whole point is its the formative experience in Josuke's life that leads him to becoming such a super dude. A complete stranger saves his life, expecting nothing in return, so Josuke grows up to be the kind of guy to pay it forward, putting himself in danger for his friends. Josuke may be a scamp with a head full of zany get-rich-quick schemes, but he's got a heart of gold - and with Joseph out of the picture and his mother unmarried, that mysterious student is basically his ideal image of a man in place of a father figure. It's why he honors him with his pompadour, and gets upset when people insult it. They're insulting his hero.

To have Josuke save Josuke would make the whole thing ring hollow. It's not selfless if he's just saving himself. It stops being a thematically important moment and just becomes something weird that happened one time.

I've never seen any compelling evidence that Araki wanted to create a stable time loop, but if he did then I'm pretty glad he changed his mind.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Senor Candle posted:

Joestar moms are respected. If they tell you you can't use your lotto winnings you don't use your lotto winnings. You then call her a bitch and complain to your friends like any respectful gentleman would do.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If in doubt, punch a hole through your mom. She won't even realise.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Josuke's mom once slammed a guy's face on a car door and broke his teeth. That is how we're introduced to her.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 3, 2015

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

El Hefe posted:

Part 6 is insane and poor Jolyne gets brutally beaten in every fight

That just makes her angry, to be honest.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Jolyne is way cooler than her dad.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Jolyne is way cooler than her dad.

Jotaro wants to be cool. Jolyne is.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

1. Star Platinum is just THAT GOOD at blood transfusions or Joseph expelled the vampire extract like Jonathan.

2. No, which is why Joseph adopted her. Suzie Q is the closest thing now since I doubt she'd separate from Joseph after 50 years of marriage.

Giorno wants to be a GANGSTAR and makes plans to kill the mafia's leader, a guy with the least coherent backstory ever (though it is intentional) and a Stand ability that has become as memetic as ZA WARUDO, because of him polluting Italy with drugs.

But first, he has to kill all of the people trying to kill the boss alongside a bunch of other people with cool Stand powers (and Abacchio) who are (initially) loyal to the boss.

Eventually, Giorno's Stand becomes the most broken thing in the series and a certain Frenchman ends up living inside of a turtle.

It's not that he's polluting Italy with drugs, just the fact that he's allowing them to be sold to children, but the rest of this is rock solid.

Silver2195 posted:

* Giorno being in Florida

Look, just because the gang wanted to go to Disney World...

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Araki just had the time of his life when he realized how much he can abuse healing stands. Oh man wouldn't it be cool if that rat just made Jotaro melt his legs to the bone? Narancia cutting off his tongue!? Whose arm should be cut off in this fight!? Johnny needs to stay disabled but man Gyro's going to get hosed up this fight.

Uhh anyway, reading part 5 really shocked me when Ginorno would heal his buddies especially Mista who needed like a new chunk of head at one point. When Giorno passes away the healed parts will revert to concrete and everyone will drop dead. Trish I think would loose an ankle from that final Diavolo fight too iirc.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I distinctly remember a bit where Fugo staples Mista's skin back together before Giorno's healing ability had been established and Mista was just "drat, this is a cool looking scar!" Part 5 had a pretty good supporting cast now that I think more about it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

BaDandy posted:

Look, just because the gang wanted to go to Disney World...

There was no Mickey! That poo poo ain't Disney!

I've tried to use "That poo poo ain't Disney" more often in my daily vernacular because it's just such a good phrase.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

Josuke saving baby Josuke is dumb because the whole point is its the formative experience in Josuke's life that leads him to becoming such a super dude. A complete stranger saves his life, expecting nothing in return, so Josuke grows up to be the kind of guy to pay it forward, putting himself in danger for his friends. Josuke may be a scamp with a head full of zany get-rich-quick schemes, but he's got a heart of gold - and with Joseph out of the picture and his mother unmarried, that mysterious student is basically his ideal image of a man in place of a father figure. It's why he honors him with his pompadour, and gets upset when people insult it. They're insulting his hero.

To have Josuke save Josuke would make the whole thing ring hollow. It's not selfless if he's just saving himself. It stops being a thematically important moment and just becomes something weird that happened one time.

I've never seen any compelling evidence that Araki wanted to create a stable time loop, but if he did then I'm pretty glad he changed his mind.

I agree with you 100%, it's much better that it is a random stranger that he emulates. There is also no real evidence as far as I know, just the guy that rescues him looks so much like Josuke and a lot of people (me included) wondered if that was a plot thread that got dropped. But yeah, glad it got dropped.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Araki just had the time of his life when he realized how much he can abuse healing stands. Oh man wouldn't it be cool if that rat just made Jotaro melt his legs to the bone? Narancia cutting off his tongue!? Whose arm should be cut off in this fight!? Johnny needs to stay disabled but man Gyro's going to get hosed up this fight.
I like how most manga artists use "It's a good thing you can heal" as an excuse to keep their characters always looking their best even after they've gone through the wringer, while Araki's over here like "How can I make everyone's day even worse?"

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Uhh anyway, reading part 5 really shocked me when Ginorno would heal his buddies especially Mista who needed like a new chunk of head at one point. When Giorno passes away the healed parts will revert to concrete and everyone will drop dead. Trish I think would loose an ankle from that final Diavolo fight too iirc.

I just figured that Giorno transforms inanimate objects into regular body cells, which then go on to live out their normal cell lives, die, and then get replaced by newer ones. Maybe it would only be a problem if he dies before that entire process was finished (and most cells' lifespans aren't that long, though they are replaced at different rates depending on the type). Then you'd get like normal bits of living tissue interspersed with whatever junk the surviving transformed cells used to be :v:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I liked that he had to cut back on the healing powers in part 7 so that they could get their wounds healed up but couldn't fix major stuff like Johnny's legs

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

FirstAidKite posted:

I liked that he had to cut back on the healing powers in part 7 so that they could get their wounds healed up but couldn't fix major stuff like Johnny's legs

Josuke's super heading Johnny's legs just so he can break them again is probably my favorite thing from all star battle.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Kabanaw posted:

Josuke's super heading Johnny's legs just so he can break them again is probably my favorite thing from all star battle.

So, he headbutts his legs so hard they get healed ?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

FirstAidKite posted:

It's okay they had zombie horse thread which is in no way explained.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It never needed to be explained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RatHat posted:

It's okay they had zombie horse thread which is in no way explained.

I just assumed it was some off-screen Neapolitan stand user.