Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as much as i would love a steel ball run anime, yeah, i definitely see part 6 as like the end of what we're reasonably 'likely' to get

even then i don't see 6 as an absolute guaranteed but i've always considered the chances of getting further parts somewhat possible once we actually got 4 in the first place, but 6 is the hard limit imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I see literally no reason why we wouldn't get a Part 6 anime.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I kinda understood the fears of stopping after Part 3 because it's The Biggest One and it didn't end with a stinger like all the past parts did, but once we got an even better Part 4 anime I knew David was ride or die with JoJo. Jolyne being the very first thing you see when the Part 1 starts has been my guiding star that they'll get that far

I know it means nothing, but the animator at David who draws fanart from all parts was retweeting a lot of his Part 7 work a month or so ago so like, the love for it is there, but maybe people want to move on to other projects

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

TheLoneStar posted:

I see literally no reason why we wouldn't get a Part 6 anime.

the animation industry is a fickle one

hopefully if we do get it the wait before an announcement isn't so hugely long like it was for 5

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How well does Jojo do on blu-ray sales? That's usually what determines if a series keeps going right?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
My concern with Part 7 is that between the length and inevitable CG horse animation it's either going to be very long and poor, multiple seasons and a little better but it takes 2+ years from beginning to end, or they just don't bother.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

RatHat posted:

How well does Jojo do on blu-ray sales? That's usually what determines if a series keeps going right?

AFAIK on these big Japanese media brands the home video sales aren't as paramount as on original anime, but rather their future depends on if the overall sales of the franchise are good and it's deemed the brand push of the adaptation is financially worthwhile.

How does JoJolion sell these days? I remember the early volumes coinciding with the start of the anime raking in record numbers for the series.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Szmitten posted:

My concern with Part 7 is that between the length and inevitable CG horse animation it's either going to be very long and poor, multiple seasons and a little better but it takes 2+ years from beginning to end, or they just don't bother.

I feel like by the time a part 7 anime happens CG would have advanced enough to put out good horse animation.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
David has proven themselves to be such fans of JoJo that the Bluray sales would have to be negative for them to not do Part 6

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Electric Phantasm posted:

I feel like by the time a part 7 anime happens CG would have advanced enough to put out good horse animation.

I think we'll get Part 7 before 2060, TYVM

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I blame youtube for giving people the impression that everything, absolutely everything, has to be dissected in a weird way which leads to frustrating discussions in which people inexpertly discuss their problems with "tropes" and "plot holes" and feel a bizarre need to make their viewpoint sound pseudo-intellectual instead of just saying "it's weird how this happens, I liked this, huh I hate this, anyway"

people using the word trope is generally a handy red flag

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

「This Troper...」

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
:tvtropes:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

people using the word trope is generally a handy red flag

Uhhh that word has existed, and been used, for a long time. It wasn’t invented by TVTropes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RatHat posted:

Uhhh that word has existed, and been used, for a long time. It wasn’t invented by TVTropes.

:goonsay:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I sometimes use the word trope because it's shorter than "genre convention" and also using "genre convention" a bunch of times in long effortposts gets repetitive to the point it loses meaning. Don't tropeshame.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I hope if they do adapt Part 7 they get someone who can say "Dirty deeds done dirt cheap" as well as the fighting game guy.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's a real mouthful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zztEmh6E2wY

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Excuse you it's "Filthy Acts At A Reasonable Price"

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I blame youtube for giving people the impression that everything, absolutely everything, has to be dissected in a weird way which leads to frustrating discussions in which people inexpertly discuss their problems with "tropes" and "plot holes" and feel a bizarre need to make their viewpoint sound pseudo-intellectual instead of just saying "it's weird how this happens, I liked this, huh I hate this, anyway"

Cinemasins voice: Giorno your power is so loving stupid. I loving hate you so much stop using it (ding)

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Wasn't CinemaSins conceived as a send-up of people who complain about stupid poo poo in movies aka the exact type of people in question here?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's their common defense whenever someone criticizes them, but it's kinda bullshit because a lot of what they say in those videos is their actual opinion.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I mean, if we're talking about the type of people who browse TVTropes too much and think they're intelligent because of it, then I agree wholeheartedly that they're tiring to talk to.

Exactly. An in-depth discussion about it is totally fine. Trying to talk to someone who watched a lot of videos about critique and picked up a lot of one-note musings about it is beyond obnoxious. It's not a discussion in that event.

Though yeah, it's fine for someone to say "I just like it, I dunno" or "I just hate it, I dunno" and if they want to be that way and not really sit around and talk about it more, that's their prerogative as much as someone explaining why it's frustrating when something doesn't really make sense. The latter isn't actually a nuisance, it's how the discussion is framed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A TV Tropes nerd: You see, Johnny is a [WELL INTENTIONED EXTREMIST] with a shade of [HO-YAY] and he [FRIDGE LOGIC] Valentine by [GROWING THE BEARD] and [YMMV] but he earned the [ESOTERIC HAPPY ENDING]

Me, a badas geek: Shut up nerd

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It feels weird to conflate TV Tropes nerds with, like, trying to discuss what you don't like about a thing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arist posted:

It feels weird to conflate TV Tropes nerds with, like, trying to discuss what you don't like about a thing.

Discussing what you like or don't like about a thing is great! Using TV Tropes words is bad precisely because when you do that, you're failing to communicate why that is. The TV Tropes mindset and vocabulary are tools for producing a taxonomy of works. Using that terminology to discuss either someone's personal taste or a given work's merits only serves to obscure the point.

You don't need to dress up your opinion in fancy gobbledygook! Just say what you mean!

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 30, 2019

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

No one in this thread been using TV Tropes jargon or complaing about CinemaSins 'plot holes' though, not sure where this discussion actually came from.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

multijoe posted:

No one in this thread been using TV Tropes jargon or complaing about CinemaSins 'plot holes' though, not sure where this discussion actually came from.

Yeah, this is what I meant.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Someone used the word trope to describe something.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This conversation sucks, no one is making any sense

Let's talk about Weather making it rain poisonous frogs, that was cool

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's jojo and things get asspulled and sometimes it's sick like at the end of part 3 and other times it's incomprehensible like king crimsom and other times it makes you go ? like the volcano at the end of part 2. I get that it's part of the series.

But I do think the best Jojo sequence ever (probably the best manga sequence ever), part 4's ending, works so well because everything was so unusually clearly defined by Jojo standards. You know exactly what's at stake when Josuke shows up by surprise at the exact right moment and the last image of everyone rushing towards Kira before he presses the button (another asspull I guess, but a very clearly explained one) you know exactly what everyone is trying to do.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Or how I forgot that FF is just animating a corpse instead of just assuming the form of the dead girl like a bunch of nanomachines

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Expect My Mom posted:

This conversation sucks, no one is making any sense

Let's talk about Weather making it rain poisonous frogs, that was cool

I like when Pucci uses White Snake like Heaven's Door by tossing a disc into one of the frogs with the orders to fly 10 feet and explode.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Speaking of Frogs anyone else remember when Anasui replaced Yo-Yo Ma's brain with a frog?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Part 6 as the end of the DIO saga, has the revenge of the frogs from part 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxU2eqZtYmc

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

ChaseSP posted:

Excuse you it's "Filthy Acts At A Reasonable Price"

The best alternative name for D4C I have seen is Dimes for Crimes and I wish that was the official one.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Live-action prestige adaptation of Steel Ball Run, please.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Watching Deadwood and squinting real hard

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Hello I'm new to this thread but up to date with Jojolion. When's the next chapter out? Do we know this in advance or does it ~go on hiatus~ all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
JoJolion chapters usually come out the second/third week of the month, like 14th - 21st thereabouts.

It feels like it rarely goes on hiatus. If it does, it's around December or because he's doing a Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe chapter and that will be the chapter for the month. It's never a Berserk or HxH style hiatus tho, he's back the next month