Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Uhh anyway, reading part 5 really shocked me when Ginorno would heal his buddies especially Mista who needed like a new chunk of head at one point. When Giorno passes away the healed parts will revert to concrete and everyone will drop dead. Trish I think would loose an ankle from that final Diavolo fight too iirc.

I just figured that Giorno transforms inanimate objects into regular body cells, which then go on to live out their normal cell lives, die, and then get replaced by newer ones. Maybe it would only be a problem if he dies before that entire process was finished (and most cells' lifespans aren't that long, though they are replaced at different rates depending on the type). Then you'd get like normal bits of living tissue interspersed with whatever junk the surviving transformed cells used to be :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

I wonder if they'll end the episode on the split-second before Kakyoin gets World-punched to psych out anime-only viewers like they did with Polnareff.

e: maybe not since the last episode preview was basically "yeah he's totally dead"

standard owl fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 5, 2015

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

I was thinking Kakyoin would eat poo poo right before the commercial break at least (if they really milk the introspection/flashback about how he used to be a friendless loser), but I also probably remember him going against DIO as being way longer than it actually is.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Holly just wanted her son to make some actual friends and bond with his grandpa :kimchi:

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Hazamada or whatever in part 4 did try to bang Surface, so the idea of stand-loving is technically brought up in canon

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is it accurate that Araki didn't make Fugo have to fight Giorno's group because he found the idea of a traitor disgusting? They have that listed on Fugo's JJBA wiki page.

Apparently he left this postscript in one of the volumes. Though it seems like the thought of having Fugo betray the others was less disgusting to him and more like just a huge bummer.

Araki posted:

Also, i can’t ignore the fact that Giorno was probably the one who should have killed Fugo and i was sure that something like that might have disappointed my young readers.

And because it would make Giorno too much of a stone cold killer?

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

I agree, but I'm not the one writing a series aimed at children v:v:v

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

Jotaro says something like he *hasn't* been fighting as much so his ability atrophied a bit, I think.

You just can't get swole writing theses and research grants :(

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Vanilla Ice was probably like a cabaret dancer, honestly

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Is this actually true, or is this another "Araki said" thing with no source? Because I know there wasn't any stands or anything, but even from the start SBR felt like another Jojo story. I mean, when the main protagonist is a dude named Johnny Joestar it's tough not to think it was always intended to be part 7 of JJBA.

Not to mention that we get introduced to Diego "DIO" Brando and Gyro's GO! GO! ZEPPELI grill long before Johnny even appears...

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

I thought Kira's dad stabbed him with the arrow out of fatherly love and concern.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Part 7 always sticks out to me as having lots of visually striking stuff as it goes on, especially with regards to lines and foreground/background objects (it also gets pretty sameface-y but it's a beautiful sameface so who cares :v:). Although personally I have a soft spot for mid-to-end Part 4's line art, it's just really appealing to look at.

I remember Part 5 and 6 as being pretty gory and gruesome (Green Day, Metallica, and C-Moon especially), but I've always thought it was interesting how the gore is really up close and detailed for some stuff like nails and eyes, but more abstract when it comes to things like limbs being blown off.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Davinci posted:

the real protagonist of Part 4 is the town of Morioh.

the real protagonist of part 4 is the friends we made along the way

a cartoon duck posted:

Did Abaccio or however you spell his name even do anything aside from early on on that boat and late on when uncovering the Passione leader's identity? I don't remember "can rewatch scenes as re-enacted by my stand" ending up useful most of the time.

He made Giorno drink his piss and revealed an impression of Diavolo's face that in retrospect, didn't look like Diavolo at all.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Sort of related to stands being able to talk, I kinda wonder what's the logic behind voice casting for the ones who have a different will/personality than that of their user. I know in ASB that Koichi and Echoes Act 3 (and Mista and Sex Pistols in the old Vento Aureo game) share a voice actor, but Whitesnake, GER, and Sex Pistols have a different one from their users. Would a projection of your own soul really not speak in your own voice or is it some arcane voice acting industry/business decision thing? (I know Diavolo and Doppio have different voice actors in ASB too but I'm like 85% sure that was to get Ishida Akira in the game :v:)

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Normally, he seems pretty good about avoiding pointless deaths.

I see you've yet to read Steel Ball Run.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

It's true, Araki is willing to literally kill for his art and will unhesitatingly punch children in the face. How long will his crimes go unpunished

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

So Holly Joestar-Kira's kid and a Kujo(-Joestar? he has the birthmark, guess they're cousins or something) got smashed together to make Josuke. The name was a distraction, our protagonist is actually alternate universe Jotaro :v: Unless Araki doesn't really mean anything that significant by it and is just throwing familiar names and references out there for fun.

Who even is anyone in this mixed-up crazy world.

chaos rhames posted:

Still shocked that despite the outfit Josefumi is possibly the most heterosexual jojo.
I swear I've seen part 4 Josuke wear a top with that kind of pattern in some artbook illustration or chapter cover, but I can't find it right now.

edit: it's this illustration from the penultimate chapter of part 4.

standard owl fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 28, 2015

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Akagi begins playing against Washizu in 1998.
:negative:

I can't imagine having to read Steel Ball Run as it was released, the monthly waiting would've been actual murder (even though it began around the same time I started reading One Piece weekly). Now I just have to deal with reading a mystery series semi-monthly!

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

The last fight in part 4 is great because it shines the spotlight on our TRUE heroes, Morioh Emergency Services :japan:

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Stuffing your wounds with plankton or aerosol meat is gross, I just wanna say.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

King Crimson basically lets Diavolo use the power of jump cuts on reality (I've seen this joke used a couple times on Nico Nico so I'm pretty sure that's how it works :nyoron:)

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Every Boston terrier is now known as an Iggy dog, much like how collies are Lassie dogs :woof:

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

No one brought up part 3 Joseph, a hot rich old man with a great bod and tons of money. I won't stand for this thread's anti-gold digger attitude

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Yeah but have you seen his face? his bank account??

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Another pet peeve of mine is

people who are all
"hahahaha jojo is SO GAY look at HOW GAY it is those outfits are GAY not like me! I google TITS and VAGINAS cos i'm NOT GAY"

Conversely, people (dudes who have mainly watched parts 1-3) who go "jojo is saving anime because it's so MASCULINE and MANLY and full of extremely muscular straight men doing incredibly hetero things, no homo"

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Hopeford posted:

Oh strange pet peeve: people saying that Joseph was the strongest JoJo. This annoys me because what made him so fun was that he wasn't the strongest, he was probably literally the weakest JoJo out of them all. He just happened to win due to a combination of good ol' Luck & Pluck. When someone says he's the strongest I feel like they're selling him as a character for the wrong reasons.

And I think Joseph is the only Jojo to not do a proper punch rush, he just pulls out a machine gun and goes to town! Giorno is a middle schooler with a physique that can be described as Prince-esque and he gets like 7 straight pages of punching, while beefcake Joseph is a smug, lazy rear end in a top hat whose trump cards are "gun" and "run away." Unless they meant strongest as "best overall chances of winning a fight," but even then...

Like, Joseph would be the guy who could pretty easily pass a course if he showed even a modicum of effort, but instead chooses to gently caress around and ends up putting in waaay more time and energy trying to cheat his way through the final exam. Even if he gets an A, that doesn't make him a good student, you know?

Moltrey posted:

Sheer Heart Attack should've been Yukako and Koichi fighting Kira when like they're on a date or something, I dunno. Let Yukako do stuff other than sit around and want koichi to like her.

the first time Kira would try to threaten Koichi he would just get murdered by Yukako and the story would end there tbh

I also have similar misgivings about Yukako (and sort of about Trish too, actually, in the sense that she's literally the only female character in part 5 who's not somebody's mom or a bystander; seriously Passione needs more inclusive hiring policies or something), but the fact that Annasui later returns to fit the "character is only motivated by and is involved in the plot due to their obsessive romantic interest in the protagonist" archetype but as a guy is...semi-interesting. I don't know. Miss me with that straight poo poo, honestly

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Most American English speakers definitely pronounce 'Paris' like Pair-iss or Pear-iss, like the yokels that we are.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

let's kill da ho beeetch

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

What kind of music has Koichi been listening to, to learn such turns of phrases

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Making a list of parallels between this and DiU would be interesting.

I only just remembered RHCP parallels the TV World victims.

- a group of youths (Rohan is 20, so technically a youth) work together to track down a serial killer in their small town using the ghostly manifestations of their psychic will, or something like that
- said serial killer is a misanthrope pretending very hard to be a normal person in the community
- delinquents/delinquent-type characters
- older mentor type who is the protagonist's uncle/nephew who accidentally neglects his young daughter due to work obligations
- some very superficial name similarities that are more like coincidences, like Josuke and Yosuke or Yukako and Yukiko edit: hell isn't your uncle-nephew's first name Ryotaro in P4?

It's been a while since I've played the game, so that's all that comes to mind for now. Some major differences I guess would include the fact that the 'whodunnit' aspect of DiU gets explained to the reader pretty much right away and we even follow Kira's misadventures for a while, instead of getting the Culprit reveal at the very end. Also DiU doesn't totally fudge the landing on its overall messages and themes.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm kinda loving how some people still think RHCP is the main antag

You'd think that people would have learned after part 2 that the first (and even second) bad guy introduced is not the Bad Guy.

I love that the Rohan's Bizarre Adventure chapters have Reimi going "there's a prolific serial killer in this town who has eluded the public's attention for years! please help me solve this grisly mystery!" and then literally immediately after that Kira almost runs Koichi over. There he is. There's the horrible man.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Part 4 is a successful example of a narrative following the perspectives of both a killer and the group trying to find him, a feat that has eluded David Cage not just once but twice

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Vanilla Ice, whose existence is kind of an asspull.

Oh, like DIO wouldn't have a handsome muscular manservant clad in a leotard hidden somewhere in his mansion, slavishly devoted to waiting on him hand and foot?

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

I'm extremely looking forward to Rohan punching a child, and then himself in the face during RPS kid.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Dias posted:

My favorite ice cream flavor is pistachio, as long as we're doing non-sequiturs.

I feel like Koichi's is vanilla, Okuyasu probably likes chocolate chip or rocky road and Josuke is a strawberry guy. Rohan probably agrees with me, or thinks ice cream is too plebeian.
Okuyasu's is strawberry chocolate chip! It's canon.

Love how they set up Kira in the OP as [ MENACING] as all hell, but in his proper introduction chapters he 1) violates a sandwich and 2) hides under a vaulting horse in a middle school gym

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If it were Yuki Ono who said these lines, it'd be pretty sealed by that point, but they pointedly chose not to.
should have been Yuki Ono with his voice artificially pitched down like with Kiefer Sutherland in Ground Zeroes imo

standard owl fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 8, 2016

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Seeing as how the asteroid from which Stand arrows are derived is from space, and Mikitaka is also from space, we can conclude that Mikitaka's people have been harnessing the power of Stand-producing celestial bodies to give themselves Stands, furthermore,

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Moltrey posted:

I never remember if Reimi is established as his first, but yeah Kira has been killing ever since he was a teenager and his dad would help him cover his tracks. I'm too lazy to do the math, but Kira and Reimi might even be around the same age when he killed her.

Reimi was killed 16 years ago when she was age 16, and Kira is currently 33 or 34? They probably went to high school together :ohdear:

also the first line of Sheer Heart Attack is "well you're just 17 and all you want to do is disappear"

standard owl fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 8, 2016

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Maybe he walked right into a telephone pole and fell down a snow bank onto some rocks. It was Morioh's worst blizzard in 18 years, visibility must have been poo poo

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

3) The hell's going on with Pucci riding a broken window frame or whatever up to a plane.

One of Pucci's stands lets him manipulate gravity, so he zero-g floats up to a specific coordinate at a specific time for a specific reason.

Begemot posted:

I'm not even going to try to explain anything about the ending of Stone Ocean.

Stone Ocean's easy-peasy compared to SBR, imo (maybe don't read if you haven't finished it obviously :v:)

Pucci meets DIO one day at church, who says "hey isn't it totally crazy we met like this? you're pretty cool, if you believe in [ gravity ] then come and give me a call later ;)" Then Pucci finds out his little sister is unknowingly dating their long-lost brother, and ends up loving things up tremendously, oops! Then he goes to Egypt to hang out with DIO and learns about DIO's ideas on heaven blah blah blah DIO gets punched to death by Jotaro shortly afterwards. He left a journal containing directions on how to get to [ Heaven ] but Jotaro punched that to death too.

Stone Ocean happens as Pucci tries to steal Jotaro's memories of reading the journal and then tries to follow DIO's weirdo plan. Pucci's end goal is revealed to be this: speed up time so hard that this iteration of the universe basically repeats itself. Everyone (except the Stone Ocean gang who died while Made in Heaven was pressing on the accelerator) will relive their entire lives, but with a vague sensation that it's all happened before. Pucci's reasoning is that this foreknowledge will give people the ability to face their lives with [ resolve ] even if their lives were actually really lovely, resolution begets happiness, etc. But Emporio kills Pucci before the universe finishes the loop, so the entire thing is called off and Emporio finds himself in a universe (timeline?) that's kinda like his own but not at all. This may or may not be the universe SBR takes place in, depending on what Araki Says.

standard owl fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's probably this. One of the really unique things about Kira is that most of the time we see him he's under equal or even greater psychological pressure than the heroes, and has to fight an uphill battle against both the heroes and his own issues in order to get himself out of the situation. Therefore it's pretty understandable that he does make a lot of mistakes, which actually makes him a better villain since he gets to both do cool poo poo to beat the odds and not look like an idiot when he fucks up.

I agree except I think Kira looks like a huge idiot when he fucks up, such as when he sets up Bites the Dust to activate when Hayato gets closer to revealing his identity but then ends up saying his own name out loud in public, with his own mouth, several times within earshot of other people, like a huge idiot. But that makes him more endearing to me imo.