Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I dunno about others but I tend not to make large mutual options that I don't expect to execute; 4-5m in dead money is still meaningful. For me it's a good way on a big contract to have an out just in case, but I would expect, say, Stuart Boyer on a one year deal at his option price to be an easy pickup.

I guess at the end of the day I am really not just signing deals like jennie orbien's to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Yeah, I almost always give mutuals on guys who I expect to pick up because I hate that dead money. It's also why I often won't trade for such a guy. I more often use last year mutuals as an out on extending my own guys who I worry may not age well at the back end, like Melky Mareina.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

saintonan posted:

Tomorrow is the Rule 5 draft. Protect your babies!

Vancouver did not, but the kind thing to do will be to return Yusmeiro Vega to a new owner

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Davewillie has the first overall R5 pick, dunno how magnanimous he is but hopefully he offers Vega back if he takes him.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Spring training games begin tomorrow, make sure you have lineups/rotations/pitch counts the way you want them!

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
Has HBD ever created a switch pitcher?

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

duyarvish posted:

Has HBD ever created a switch pitcher?

They have not! For this kind of sim environment, a dude like that could be really valuable and effective

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

chutwig posted:

Vancouver did not, but the kind thing to do will be to return Yusmeiro Vega to a new owner

I've only got one guy I want and I'm going to gamble on him being there in the second round, so Vega won't be slipping past 6 at the very least.

So you people in the 1-5 slots feel free to take whomever you need; no need to do any charity I've got this covered.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

And on a second note roster freeze day is so drat annoying. Right now would be the perfect time for me to straighten out my minor leagues but nooooooooooooo.

Just make it so you can't put anyone on the 40 man WIS c'mon.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

I definitely protected Hub Woods and my 40 isn't full so I have no clue what happened. Submitted a ticket but I know that won't do anything so I'll take my lumps for not adding him to my 40 man a second time for reasons, and whoever drafts him can have the dude I traded Steve Sweeney for.

I was doing pretty well about not getting mad at this game too

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

gyroball posted:

I definitely protected Hub Woods and my 40 isn't full so I have no clue what happened. Submitted a ticket but I know that won't do anything so I'll take my lumps for not adding him to my 40 man a second time for reasons, and whoever drafts him can have the dude I traded Steve Sweeney for.

I was doing pretty well about not getting mad at this game too

If i got Hub Woods I would give him back to you. Russ McNeil on the other hand....

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

After 20 games, this will be my lineup. It's actually not half bad I think. I've reunited with another 2 prospects I should have never traded in Santo Park and Chuck Schwartz.

My pitching is still going to be a dumpster fire, though.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Huh, they made the HoF voting screeen less of a pain to go through.

Levrault, Stearns, Toombs, Cam, M. Cordero

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
I had eight players for it to pick and it gave me none. gently caress this piece of poo poo game for making me blow the rest of my budget on a swing man and a backup CF

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I just demoted Aramis Hernandez to high A. In a stunning twist, he was too terrible for even me to deal with.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

duyarvish posted:

I had eight players for it to pick and it gave me none. gently caress this piece of poo poo game for making me blow the rest of my budget on a swing man and a backup CF

Weird thing about Rule 5 is that if you rank and then alter and save your draft settings, your rankings reset. Also, if you don't put your total target number above 0 in the settings screen, it ignores everything.

You may already know that by now but one of those may have happened this time.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Levrault, Sterns, Everett, Surkamp, Krause

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Atheistdeals.com posted:

Huh, they made the HoF voting screeen less of a pain to go through.

Levrault, Stearns, Toombs, Cam, M. Cordero

But they don't show IP for pitchers. lol

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I hope we get at least 3 of these guys in

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
Only being able to vote for 5 players for the HoF is pretty stupid.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

gently caress, I was only 4 spots away from getting Hub Woods?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Levrault, Surkamp, Toombs, Stearns, Cordero btw

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

so when is Thauros gonna take Vega back

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

nasboat posted:

so when is Thauros gonna take Vega back

Whenever he sends me a trade offer. I TCed him this morning

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Devo posted:

Whenever he sends me a trade offer. I TCed him this morning

I figured you were on top of it, being the kind soul that you are

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

nasboat posted:

I figured you were on top of it, being the kind soul that you are

The real question is when is Ottawa going to trade me the guy I wanted in the second round

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Levrault, Stearns, Surkamp, Cosby, Poole

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
As a heads-up, this is going to be my last season. I don't really have the interest my team deserves at the moment.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Three of my last four non-Dimaggio seasons have been with 100-win teams and I've won one playoff series.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Three of my last four non-Dimaggio seasons have been with 100-win teams and I've won one playoff series.

I won 96 games and didn't make the playoffs.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

ThatsMyBoye posted:

I have never won a playoff series.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

We're all winners :unsmith:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm made the playoffs 5 times and i've won a total of 4 games. Beat that, assholes.

Edit: Toby Cox got hurt for a week in his first spring training start. Nice, buddy.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

I'm made the playoffs 5 times and i've won a total of 4 games. Beat that, assholes.

Can't beat that but I can match it

Oh god I'm exactly as successful in HBD as art

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

gardenald posted:

Oh god I'm exactly as successful in HBD as art

Don't give up! You've got so much life/HBD in front of you!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I can already see the trend continuing very soon. I'm going to win at least 90-100 games in Clemens and probably get the wild card (scrotos is going to win the division), and I just know I won't even win a single game.

Very annoying.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
i am prepared to DESTROY YOUR BUTTHOLES in two seasons.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I think I'm inclined to start recruiting pubbies for future openings, because this twitter thing with people going MIA in the first week is way past old. Would much rather have someone who'd actually manage a franchise for a full season.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
I'm surprised you haven't reached out to people here on the forums as much recently. Or, maybe you have, I've barely followed N/V threads recently. Did you put a post out there anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

No, I've never recruited from the forum for this world (maybe once? Either way it was probably a long time ago) but I'll probably start next season.

Somebody's gotta do something to dispel the bad pub from their ridiculous world ranking thing anyway

• Locked thread