Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

This is the new Games Chat Thread for the month of June. Please use it to goad people into arguments with your caustic personality. I will be using it for passive aggressive remarks about your posting. It is going to be a good time. :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Why is Obsidian making a tank MMO instead of another RPG can someone just give me a quick and easy to understand answer plz and ty

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Wachepti posted:

Why is Obsidian making a tank MMO instead of another RPG can someone just give me a quick and easy to understand answer plz and ty

$$$

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love to post. About games

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

but I thought all most MMOs ended in hilarious and entirely predictable bankruptcy for everyone involved

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
so are the telltale game of thrones games good or not
i enjoyed walking dead and wolf among us

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
nah only the Wildstar/SWTOR/TESO massive-scale ones, which are really fun to follow when they predictably bring the tent down

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Jon Do posted:

so are the telltale game of thrones games good or not

Supposedly they are - especially if you have partaken of GoT through some other medium already (and if you haven't well then you should)

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Wachepti posted:

Don't worry, we can all get hopeful and then more disappointed when Fallout 4 releases and Bethesda decides to do the same-engine sequel inhouse.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

With new responsibility I am playing games less but I make sure the time counts!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
All games are good, therefore.....Hatred is good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Taint Reaper posted:

If all games are good... then no game is good. Think about it.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
splatoon is good

I like to be the squid and the kid

I appreciate how fast the matches are as well. 3 minutes is the perfect time for a small game like that.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I finished Pillars of Eternity, now I have to decide if I'm going to play through Witcher 2 or skip it and go straight to Witcher 3 or just play something else instead of another long RPG. Gamer life never slows down

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Alain Post posted:

If all games are good... then no game is good. Think about it.

holy poo poo

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Adam Bowen posted:

I finished Pillars of Eternity, now I have to decide if I'm going to play through Witcher 2 or skip it and go straight to Witcher 3 or just play something else instead of another long RPG. Gamer life never slows down

Just go straight to Witcher 3 and save yourself the burnout

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Wachepti posted:

but I thought all most MMOs ended in hilarious and entirely predictable bankruptcy for everyone involved

from what I can tell obsidian makes the thing and gets paid for it, then the other company pays all the upkeep on the servers and poo poo.

thats what im hoping anyway otherwise obsidian's business sense is as bad as their bug checking.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I completed the Season for Diablo 3.

Now I hope Blizzard announces the expansion or whatever because now I need stuff to do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

codenameFANGIO posted:

This is the new Games Chat Thread for the month of June. Please use it to goad people into arguments with your caustic personality. I will be using it for passive aggressive remarks about your posting. It is going to be a good time. :angel:

i made the June chat thread like 12 hours ago :mad:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

precision posted:

i made the June chat thread like 12 hours ago :mad:

Apparently, you didn't. :whatup:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
The BASIC joke in the title was too confusing for today's hip teens raised on C# and Ruby so nobody clicked it

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i once programmed a text adventure in BASIC

it wasn't very good, but it had a lot of rooms and bullshit puzzles

so, you know, an 80s text adventure

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

bloodychill posted:

penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus

Yes.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

precision posted:

i once programmed a text adventure in BASIC

it wasn't very good, but it had a lot of rooms and bullshit puzzles

so, you know, an 80s text adventure

Did you do it on your ti-83 calculator and did the puzzles involve selling drugs?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

CJacobs posted:

The squids killed all of the octopuses because they didn't like them after sending their entire race underground, because they didn't like them, after the world flooded and killed all of the humans and then squids evolved into the new people because the land came back. The octopuses all died because they couldn't get up early enough in the morning to fight the squids. It's incredibly stupid and unnecessary.

So no it's not that, but it is pretty close.

edit: Now the squids kill each other for fun because their race is so prosperous. That's like almost literally the plot of the game.

CJacobs posted:

Like what's the point? What's the point of making a game that is on the outside cute and happy so dark and edgy on the inside if it serves literally no purpose in the game as we know it because it's all past history?

chumbler posted:

We have to know where it fits in the Zelda timeline.
Well...

The collectible Sunken Scrolls reveal that Splatoon takes place on planet Earth some 12,000 years after global warming has caused the seas to rise and humans to become extinct. Squid and octopi have moved onto land to war over filling our evolutionary niche as the sapient apex predator. This is not the only Nintendo game to take place after the extinction of humankind. Pikmin does the same. Could it be that Pikmin and Splatoon takes place in the same universe (albeit, probably at different time frames)?

There’s more. It could be that some remnant of humanity escaped before the cataclysm, abandoning Earth and moving into space to form a Galactic Federation. They colonized planets and encountered alien life, eventually leading to the events of the Metroid series. One of the first planets was colonized by a variety of seed ships from four major powers (North America, Europe, Asia, and Russia) that experienced some decay and muddling in their culture and went to war over territory on this new world, causing the events of Advance Wars. Eventually peace returns, and the Mother series begins. More time passes and more colonization occurs, and on some planets, high speed anti-gravity races take place in the incredibly popular F-Zero tournaments. If that is the case, another known connection can be made to the Star Fox games through James McCloud, an F-Zero racer and missing father of Fox McCloud.

This is what I call Nintendo Universe B. In pre-cataclysm days, the events of Punch-Out!! and Wii Fit also occur here.

We’re through the looking glass here, people.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Agean90 posted:

from what I can tell obsidian makes the thing and gets paid for it, then the other company pays all the upkeep on the servers and poo poo.

thats what im hoping anyway otherwise obsidian's business sense is as bad as their bug checking.

Hasn't Obsidian admitted that basically the only reason they aren't bankrupt is because of their PoE kickstarter?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sleeveless posted:

Hasn't Obsidian admitted that basically the only reason they aren't bankrupt is because of their PoE kickstarter?

Obsidian is a studio, not a publisher, most studios have periods where they're technically bankrupt. The meaning of the word "bankrupt" is a little fluid.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
hatred looks like it would get boring really fast, unless you are repressing your inner serial killer and need an outlet for hours of blasting away defenseless NPCs.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Taint Reaper posted:

Bleach is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore, we are bleach.

Drink the bleach.

Also, check out your Steam badges page.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
While All games are good and all, why is Telltale making an Episodic minecraft game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

While All games are good and all, why is Telltale making an Episodic minecraft game.
Minecraft is a very popular game.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Fargin Icehole posted:

it's more popular than jesus

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Money, is also good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fargin Icehole posted:

They managed to make a good game in the Borderlands universe, which is aggressively terrible. At least Minecraft is a blank slate so they can just do whatever.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

They managed to make a good game in the Borderlands universe, which is aggressively terrible. At least Minecraft is a blank slate so they can just do whatever.
Actually, they didn't.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Fargin Icehole posted:

They have to cash in on the reputation they built off of season one of The Walking Dead before everybody realizes that the people who actually wrote season one of The Walking Dead no longer work for them and everything they've made since has failed to live up to it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Hatred isn't good. Like, on the most basic mechanical level. Literally the first message in the game you see is wrong, mixing up the left analog and the right analog stick. There's a fairly rote tutorial except for some inexplicable reason they don't explain a few functions, such as how to switch weapons, or that left bumper is this strange, wimpy kick (the animation is wimpy, somehow Hatredman can kick through solid brick as long as a window's attached). Switching weapons is the same button as executions, and it's not always immediately obvious when you c an perform an execution (which are also the only ways to regenerate health), so you will at several points just mash right up against someone, shoot them a couple times, then cycle through your weapons once or twice before you can begin one of the two or three canned animations that let you get more health. There's also no direction, you're just kind of shoved into the level and your only option is to shoot at things for a few minutes until suddenly you're allowed to go to the police station to kill people. The game's needless black-and-white visuals do it no favours for coherency either, to the point where they deliberately had to include a button to highlight things in the world that are interactable to distinguish them from the rest of the visual noise.

It's a shame there was so much hand-wringing controversy before the game came out, because if it was released without fanfare nobody would care about it in the slightest.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Obsidian is making a tank game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wachepti posted:

tank nerds are second only to train nerds

• Locked thread