Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

the only thing wrong with fallout 2 is it's too drat big and messy. it's like the first draft of someone's totally awesome thousand page novel before the editor gets hold of it

This is a perfect explanation. The core gameplay might be improved on a technical level but even if you excuse how glitchy and unfinished a lot of the game is and don't care about the huge change in tone with all the pop culture references and edginess it's just way too sprawling and big for its own good. Fallout 1 may have some oldschool jank to it but you almost always have some idea where you're going and what you're doing and it has clear goals and antagonists and develops organically.

As much criticism as Fallout 3 got for being too wacky I'd take its wanna-be vampires and superhero cosplayers over 2's Mike Tyson ear-biting jokes and Mad Magazine-level Scientology jokes (it's not Tom Cruise, it's Juan Cruz :owned:) any day.

Real hurthling! posted:

nah FO2 isn't ugly as gently caress with a wet fart ending.

Fallout 2's graphics are 90% brown dirt and grey roofs and the ending is a super soldier with almost no foreshadowing or explanation showing up out of nowhere just so you can have a boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
after trolling D&D's only gaming related thread, I miss people like Adam and taint reaper. that is how bad that thread is.

I am going to play spaltoon tonight because I need the scum wipe clean by ink and fish puns.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sleeveless posted:

Fallout 2's graphics are 90% brown dirt and grey roofs and the ending is a super soldier with almost no foreshadowing or explanation showing up out of nowhere just so you can have a boss fight.

Fallout 3 is 100% brown and grey with a filter effect over it and the end of the game is a dude in a suit and tie that you gib with one vats shot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Maybe... they're both decent games with some flaws?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Maybe... they're both decent games with some flaws?

yes but this is the internet so no

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Adam Bowen posted:

Wow that sounds really problematic, I hope someone does something to protect those fictional characters from abuse.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the other day i saw a Pip-Boy wearing a NASCAR driver's outfit and giving the thumbs up on a redneck's Ford F150

not sure how to feel about it tbqh

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

precision posted:

the other day i saw a Pip-Boy wearing a NASCAR driver's outfit and giving the thumbs up on a redneck's Ford F150

not sure how to feel about it tbqh

that was calvin u loving idiot.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ekster posted:

Bethesda games suck but the new Deus Ex is gonna own.

It's gonna be different than HR? God that was lovely. A stealth game with bad stealth, lots of crashes, and stupid OP bosses where your stealth stuff is useless? I never played a Deus game before that but if they're all clones of MGS like that then I'll pass on the rest of the series.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Calvin and Vault Boy are mortal enemies, because Calvin flaunts authority, but Vault Boy is authority personified.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

effectual posted:

It's gonna be different than HR? God that was lovely. A stealth game with bad stealth, lots of crashes, and stupid OP bosses where your stealth stuff is useless? I never played a Deus game before that but if they're all clones of MGS like that then I'll pass on the rest of the series.

They are actually doing stuff with the combat this time instead of it being "the thing you use if you gently caress up stealth", which is the eternal problem of most stealth games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Alain Post posted:

They are actually doing stuff with the combat this time instead of it being "the thing you use if you gently caress up stealth", which is the eternal problem of most stealth games.

the way you get around this is like mgsV and alpha protocol where you just give an abilty that lets you stop time and blow away all your attackers before they call in an alert.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

effectual posted:

lmao is this a real post

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
HR was pretty good but I didn't even try to get the no detection achievement.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Japanese Nintendo President Company Man is talking about the NX like it's coming out next year and they're going to probably definitely kick the Wii-U to the curb because that's what "third pillar" always translates to in Nintendoease .

Literally my reaction upon hearing such glorious news.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrMawW5J6NU

I wish them much luck at making a good videogame console after a series of weakass watered down ones.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

computer parts posted:

I did the same thing I tend to do with all MGS games on first playthrough. I did no-detection until I got caught and started shooting stuff and found the game a lot more fun and interesting just doing whatever felt fun in each scenario. Ended up having a blast, like with MGS. The bosses got a lot of heat from people but I found them to be pretty easy aside from the first one who caught me by surprise the first time. I didn't start reading about the game online until after I finished and was surprised that people were way more pissed about the bosses than the mostly crappy, zombie-infested end section culminating into an underwhelming final boss with an unsatisfying epilogue.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Considering that every new mechanic they showed off in the trailer seems to be tailored to make your base character more effective offensively I'd say that they're aware of most of the complaints about the original.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

computer parts posted:

first time was a loud playthrough, second time i got the no detection, no kills and legend achievements in the same run. both times were really fun and the game owned

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bloodychill posted:

I didn't start reading about the game online until after I finished and was surprised that people were way more pissed about the bosses than the mostly crappy, zombie-infested end section culminating into an underwhelming final boss with an unsatisfying epilogue.

I didn't even meet up with my boss or the activist guy so my choices at the end were just "broadcast the conspiracy" or "blow up the whole boat". It made my choice easy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
HR was a real good game and MD will probably be even better because Eidos seems to be learning from their mistakes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was kind of astounded by how hard Human Revolution poo poo the bed right at the very end. They were doing so, so good, and then the final level was crap. The final boss was crap. The "ending" was crap. It didn't ruin the whole game or anything but boy was it a downer considering how good of a stride it had going prior to Jensen going to Panchaea.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CJacobs posted:

I was kind of astounded by how hard Human Revolution poo poo the bed right at the very end. They were doing so, so good, and then the final level was crap. The final boss was crap. The "ending" was crap. It didn't ruin the whole game or anything but boy was it a downer considering how good of a stride it had going prior to Jensen going to Panchaea.
Games making GBS threads themselves at the end in general are way more common than they should be sadly.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Accordion Man posted:

Games making GBS threads themselves at the end in general are way more common than they should be sadly.

Hey it's way better than it was during the 8 and 16 bit era, some games didn't even have an ending.

Hell some had Killscreens. The only way to beat a game like that was to technically break it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Having bad endings seems to be endemic to Deus Ex, the original had you fighting your way through concrete corridors full of endlessly-respawning monsters to press the button tied to your ending of choice, Invisible War has you wading through an island full of supersoldiers with rocket launchers to talk to the NPC linked with the ending of your choice, and even the tablet game ends with an unresolved cliffhanger and a "TO BE CONTINUED...?" stinger.

The one thing they should take away from the original games is that hidden dance party endings make everything better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM4yzgITg5c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghf3vTA20mE

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Taint Reaper posted:

Hey it's way better than it was during the 8 and 16 bit era, some games didn't even have an ending.

Hell some had Killscreens. The only way to beat a game like that was to technically break it.
This is very true, lest we forget...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Accordion Man posted:

LA Noire's end sequence was 100% combat oriented in a game where the combat mechanics were sort of slapped on as filler.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Just blew through Sleeping Dogs over the last few days. Wei is a loving monster, I'm amazed he could even walk in that last mission, let alone chuck a guy into an ice chipper.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

HR is a great game but yeah the last mission was definitely its weakest part, although I liked the zombies personally.

1) Lie to humanity to make it a libertarian hellhole.
2) Lie to humanity to further the Illuminati agenda, an organization notable for screwing everything up in the Deus Ex universe.
3) Tell people what actually happened.
4) Blow everything up out of spite.

Although I understand that people like to have a lot of freedom in gameplay in these kinds of games I can't help but feel that a lot of them seem to misunderstand that it's a stealth game so it's inherently going to 'punish' you for going Rambo in some way. The only exception I know of is Dishonored, where people have the exact opposite complaint (stealth/non-lethal is boring!).

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

LA Noire's end sequence was 100% combat oriented in a game where the combat mechanics were sort of slapped on as filler.
Also the protagonist falls down a manhole and drowns in poo poo water.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Accordion Man posted:

Also the protagonist falls down a manhole and drowns in poo poo water.

That was a satisfying resolution to his character arc of being a piece of poo poo.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I think it's worth mentioning that you can get the PC version of Human Revolution: Director's Cut in exchange for a $1 donation to charity right now so if you or someone you know hasn't played one of the best games of the last console generation now's your chance.

Ekster posted:

HR is a great game but yeah the last mission was definitely its weakest part, although I liked the zombies personally.

The commentary for Human Revolution is pretty good but the commentary for Panchaea is kind of sad because a lot of it is apologizing or explaining what they were going for and how disappointed they were with the final product. There's a whole bit about how they hate how the "zombies" turned out because they wanted to have people that were panicked and hallucinating but since it was the last part of the game they worked on and they didn't have the time or resources to really build up a unique AI just for that one part of the game they wound up just bring crazy zombie people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR2sxfImoM4&t=220s

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Red Dead's ending was real good though.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

These are both extremely boring.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Tried playing Human Revolution last year finally. Hot loving garbage. Either it just hasn't held up well, or playing too much MGS made the horrible stealth unbearable.

I beat the first level non-lethal, in spite of the game doing its best to prevent you from doing so. And just never came back after i got bored in the tower before the next mission.

Bad writing, very limited toolset for stealth from the begining which seemingly urges you to gun dudes down. And overall boring rear end level design.

HR gets huge negative props for deciding that CQC should have a charge limit. Because punching dudes hard with your augmented, metal body takes AAA batteries.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Manky posted:

Idfk what this means still. It's confirmed that there are going to be Metroids in it.

I'll admit that the character designs in FF look incredibly, disappointingly bland to me but I don't mind the basic idea of a Metroid game without Samus. It'd be cool to see the Metroidverse from another perspective, if competently executed.

It means a 2D game where your progress is gated by geometry requiring new abilities to progress, and you can break the order if your good or if parts of it are inadvertently broken.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Human Revolution is good and the sequel will be better. Why are people comparing it to Metal Gear.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

In Training posted:

Human Revolution is good and the sequel will be better. Why are people comparing it to Metal Gear.

non-lethal options, railroaded missions, stealth.

All of which HR does worse than even the first MGS game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nasgate posted:

non-lethal options, railroaded missions, stealth.

All of which HR does worse than even the first MGS game.

That's like saying Stealth Bastard Deluxe is a Metal Gear clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ah yes, Deus Ex has all my favorite parts of Metal Gear: branching conversations, an XP system, restrictive inventory and resource management, and hub worlds.

• Locked thread