Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

OK, I've received a couple of submissions so far. Just to add a bit of flavour, you guys should post a picture of your car and write a quick blurb about it! If you don't want your stats laid bare for everyone to see, the game has a built-in screenshot function (the little camera-shaped icon in the top right of the screen)...it'll take a picture without the GUI.

Riso posted:

Do all the "LSD" differentials count as electric or does it explicitly mean the electric lsd?

Any of the LSDs are allowed, just not the electric LSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Does "Semi-Active" stuff fall under the ban?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

After seeing engines posted here, I'm doing something wrong. I can't avoid valve float.

More quality into the valvetrain, smaller cylinder bore (thus, smaller valves with less weight).

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Riso posted:

Does "Semi-Active" stuff fall under the ban?

Yes.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
I've whipped up my abomination pretend internet race car.

"Killll mmeee"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I played around a bit with my old, old copy of Automation, and don't think I can get anything competitive together. Good luck to the rest of you!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Is the ingame reliability figure taken into account in the race sim, or is it all just calculated from quality?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

I played around a bit with my old, old copy of Automation, and don't think I can get anything competitive together. Good luck to the rest of you!

Just do it anyway and run with me in the unofficial chump spec.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hrm. I could cram this 5000cc pushrod v8 into an Estate Wagon chassis...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

OK, I've sent out scrutineering reports to the entries I have received thus far. Please note that adaptive suspension parts are active in nature and are banned under the rules.

Also Chiwie I had a problem with your submission; the engine works fine by itself but it doesn't seem to be associated with the car and model you sent.

Vando posted:

Is the ingame reliability figure taken into account in the race sim, or is it all just calculated from quality?

Overall reliability as seen on the final summary screen is not taken into account, as it counts things that are extraneous to the simulation (like the quality of your exterior trims, interior quality, etc). This sim will be strictly based on Quality Points as outlined in the rules post, with additional weighting added to critical categories outlined in the rules.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 8, 2015

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

MrChips posted:

OK, I've sent out scrutineering reports to the entries I have received thus far. Please note that adaptive suspension parts are active in nature and are banned under the rules.

Also Chiwie I had a problem with your submission; the engine works fine by itself but it doesn't seem to be associated with the car and model you sent.

Overall reliability as seen on the final summary screen is not taken into account, as it counts things that are extraneous to the simulation (like the quality of your exterior trims, interior quality, etc). This sim will be strictly based on Quality Points as outlined in the rules post, with additional weighting added to critical categories outlined in the rules.

Resent my submission.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!

MrChips posted:

Oh, whoops. I'll revise my suspension and resubmit later today.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

MrChips posted:

What about the reliability on the engine screen?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
damnit... I've only had like 2 hours to play around and just barely started getting a motor together. I don't know if I'll be able to get a car built well enough in time. :sigh:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

ssjonizuka posted:

damnit... I've only had like 2 hours to play around and just barely started getting a motor together. I don't know if I'll be able to get a car built well enough in time. :sigh:
Deadline is in 21 days, plenty of time to throw something together.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FatCow posted:

What about the reliability on the engine screen?

I'm not overly keen on how it is calculated (NA engines seem to be penalised heavily), but I will take another stab at integrating it into the calculation in a way that makes sense.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
While designing the cars I learned that I can't design turbos worth poo poo and that the chassis I designed doesn't have enough space to fit my I6's.

But that's alright, I am going to show you the power of naturally aspirated V8's instead. :getin:

(Not that I managed to design one above 620bhp.)

Chiwie posted:

I've whipped up my abomination pretend internet race car.

"Killll mmeee"

:lol: 1500cc. What is this, Kindergarten?

Riso fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 8, 2015

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I think i broke the spec :

As far as i can tell it's within spec and the quality limits.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Max boost is 1.5 bar.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Was pretty sure i was missing something. Not that it matters much anyways, on the stock test track it's actually slower than my 680hp NA motor that actually has a reasonable torque curve.

Edit : Still 800hp at legal boost

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 9, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

MrChips posted:

I'm not overly keen on how it is calculated (NA engines seem to be penalised heavily), but I will take another stab at integrating it into the calculation in a way that makes sense.

OK, I think I have a way of doing this. The engine reliability (from the engine tabs) will now be factored into reliability calculations.

Also, a couple of observations; first, for those that are having trouble fitting engines to cars, I found that building the engine and car as a unit (rather than building an engine and then trying to fit it to a car) helps prevent any nasty surprises when it comes time to fit the engine. Second, I'm not saying anyone in particular needs to pay attention to this, but fuel economy matters. Remember, the spec says cars only have a 100 L fuel tank, and if you're making 35 second fuel stops (plus the slowdown on the in/out lap) every five or six laps, you're not going to have a good time...

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Kafouille posted:

Was pretty sure i was missing something. Not that it matters much anyways, on the stock test track it's actually slower than my 680hp NA motor that actually has a reasonable torque curve.

Edit : Still 800hp at legal boost

Turbo engines have a lower CC limit.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Chiwie posted:

Turbo engines have a lower CC limit.

Pushrod engines have a higher limit.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Ah heck I'm sold, I'll submit if I can come up with something decent.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Are you using the fuel economy from the UI or deriving something based on the high RPM fuel consumption?

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Kilonum posted:

Pushrod engines have a higher limit.

I think that means only the "Pushrod" valvetrain option. Modern Overhead Valve would fall under the lower displacement limit.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FatCow posted:

Are you using the fuel economy from the UI or deriving something based on the high RPM fuel consumption?

Neither, actually. Automation calculates a specific fuel consumption for an engine (which is expressed in grams of fuel per kilowatt hour, or the Imperial equivalent unit), which is the basis (along with engine power, lap time, lap length and a couple other factors) for fuel economy calculations.

The in-game fuel efficiency calculation, expressed in miles per gallon or litres per 100 km, is based on a road car duty cycle; in other words, low speeds, low engine duty cycles and efficiency-oriented vehicle operation (short-shifting and the like).

fralbjabar posted:

I think that means only the "Pushrod" valvetrain option. Modern Overhead Valve would fall under the lower displacement limit.

Modern overhead valvetrain was put in specifically to model modern pushrod engines such as the LSx, modern HEMI and whatnot, which have better internal friction control, less rotating mass and better materials quality. It still counts as pushrod valvetrain because they are less reliable, less efficient and much lower revving than their overhead can counterparts. They are lighter, as a general rule.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 9, 2015

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Are the engine quality level substracted from the 72 body total or are they separate ?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Time for another evening where I attempt to be a lovely Nick Wirth & Adrian Newey.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Kafouille posted:

Are the engine quality level substracted from the 72 body total or are they separate ?

Subtracted.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Well, this thing isn't going to win any medals, but in the forest of JDM turbofourbangers and quasi-exotics, I felt the need for something a little more... primal.

Gentlemen, I give you the Griffin.

3405 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal, with this terrible creature beneath the hood :

5.5L MOHV 16V V8, with dual 4 barrel carbs and 3" pipes all the way back. 574hp @ 7600 RPM, with a 5 speed manual transmission.

Traction control? Power steering? Downforce? Where we're going, we won't need these crutches.

She'll do a 13.38 second quarter at 122 miles per hour, and more importantly, is SHINY AND CHROME.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jun 10, 2015

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

if we use a better safety level than "Basic 00s" does it still have to be +4?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Kilonum posted:

if we use a better safety level than "Basic 00s" does it still have to be +4?

I certainly read it as the +4 applying only to the Basic safety level.

What really annoys me though is not being able to use Direct Injection. What is this, Nascar?
I'd rather lose the ability to use quality points because that really forces you to build a good engine. :colbert:

I feel you should have set a minimum economy and hp level for cars to have but this is going to be a glorious trainwreck.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Going crazy. I have NA and turbo versions of V8/I4/I6 engines, in DOHC and ModOHV versions. I've got a couple candidates but I can't find the magic bullet.

Haven't even bothered to get started on the car design.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

The year is 2007, and engineers at a certain German car firm are under attack from both Allied and Axis competitors. Forced into a bunker to create ugly SUVs and sedan versions of coupe versions of saloons, and embittered by twin turbo deferred maintenance time bombs, they escape!

As tradition dictates, they hide on a boat to South America. Stashed with them are the designs for a newly designed four liter naturally aspirated V8. Fortunately the cooling system blueprints fell overboard. Settled into their new home, they spend 8 years creating their baby, a "Boy from Brazil" you might say.

I present to you the FRM m640i, a brilliant South American car that definitely isn't a genetic clone of a German.

It's green because it'll do 30mpg. It'll also do the quarter mile in under 11 seconds. Unfortunately I think I corrupted a .lua file so I'm going to have to rebuild it from memory :gonk:

Edit: Rebuilt it, went to reopen it and my original one was back. Bloody game!

stump fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 9, 2015

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I have a feeling I'm going to submit my car on the 28th because I never know how much is enough. I'm pretty much going through every setting in the game, changing one setting by 1 then recording the new time.

Quick Q on the driver changes. If the car can run for >2hr on one tank of fuel you can stay out until you need to come in for fuel/tires/repair right?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

stump posted:

It's green because it'll do 30mpg.
Crap, there's something else I need to look at. Most of my cars get a whopping 10mpg.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Riso posted:

I certainly read it as the +4 applying only to the Basic safety level.

What really annoys me though is not being able to use Direct Injection. What is this, Nascar?
I'd rather lose the ability to use quality points because that really forces you to build a good engine. :colbert:

I feel you should have set a minimum economy and hp level for cars to have but this is going to be a glorious trainwreck.

Basically yes. The minimum standard is a 50.0 Safety Rating (and whatever safety level and/or Quality Points you need to achieve that), or Basic +4. Note that extra Quality Points in safety are not counted against your overall totals.

As for direct injection, most GT series running today ban it, so I did too. It tends to make engine design a little too easy anyway, especially with turbocharged engines.

FatCow posted:

Quick Q on the driver changes. If the car can run for >2hr on one tank of fuel you can stay out until you need to come in for fuel/tires/repair right?

Nope; this is modeled on FIA rules. Two-hour stints are a hard limit. Besides, you'd have to have some pretty incredible fuel economy to go two hours on 100L of fuel. To give you an example, a car with an engine using 400 grams/kilowatt-hour, making roughly 600 horsepower and average gearing length can expect to do something like 11-13 laps of Le Mans with the current fuel economy model, depending on the aerodynamics and drivetrains of the car, which translates into 50-55ish minutes of run time and about 150-180 kilometres.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 10, 2015

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!

Meet The Beast of AI. It is powered by a 4.9 liter OHV Inline 4 making in excess of 500 horsepower and 300 ft lb of torque at idle. The suicide doors are functional.

Propaganda Bob fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Here's my entry, sporting a mid engined 5.5L OHV V8 it's probably going to be among the low side of the power to weight ratio since it has less than 700hp in a heavy MR car but i hope to be competitive on the strength of the chassis, an accommodating powerband and a fuel consuption around 400gr/kw.

• Locked thread