Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
This thread convinced me to join this form of torture.
Although I haven't entered in I've been having fun playing along at home to the rule set.
Somehow I got a 660 hp 3.2L i6 - and then my files broke and when I tried to recreate it I could not.
The 572hp @8800 408ft/lb @7800 torque 2283cc turbo motor is a ton of fun.

Anyone have any tips on gearbox so I can get my 240Z copycat past 190mph?
Sitting on F.255x15 R.305x15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Build an engine focused on reliability over power or economy. Suffer aero damage. :negative:

This brought such a smile to my face because its always some such poo poo as this in the real world too.

Last engine was too drat tired and slow, put in new engine!, water pump shits the bed.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
This is barely over and I'm chomping to jump into the next series.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Having the ability to go CANAM with the aero bodies of the 80s, 90s, and 2000s would be fun.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Working on a vehicle for the 1970s class and have a few questions about the proposed rule set.

Is the max wheel diameter listed on your rule set the same as RIM diameter or is it the listed Wheel Diameter?

I can't seem to fit wider tires onto the chassis I've chosen - I've flared the fenders like I've had to do with others in order to increase tire width.

Has anyone seen issues with the geometry of the 240z body style?
I'm seeing the hood / nose clip when applying a grill and other fixtures to the front end.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Tremek posted:

It seems like tire section widths are extremely gimped due to the 1970 bullshit.

Can't even turbo a car in 1970. :P

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Cast iron, it appears, is your friend in good old nineteen hundred and seventy.
I can make a 600hp v8 and ~300hp i6's even with the current constraints, which is nice.

Go to load everything I did yesterday... and like that I lost 2 days worth of work. :suicide:

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

MrChips posted:

An unrelated but nonetheless interesting observation; it is entirely possible to build a car that, with different trim levels, could compete in two or even all three of the classes in this challenge.

I have one car that fits in two classes with 3 different motors.
Is it 1 car per class or 2?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

MrChips posted:

Each entrant can compete in up to two classes with one car in each class. Whether you choose to build one car model with trims that are eligible for the different classes or two entirely different car models is up to you.

Pull a red bull / toro rosso and compete in all three. :colbert:

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
What am I doing wrong? I make a car all the way through, make a variant - it works.
Save it, exit game, make another variant and all my poo poo breaks.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

^^ This is the body style I am having trouble with. I was going for a 2995 turbo i6...

As for people doing benchmarking... when my game isn't breaking ever single loving car I've made in the last 4 weeks... with the rules prior to the change I was making ~290hp from 1499cc, 390 from 2998 Turbo, and around 660 from a flat plane v8 coming in around 6200cc. Cast iron block and heads... seem to be good for 3-8 horse power.

What directories do I need to clear out? (Steam)
edit: [drive]\users\<userid>\my documents\my games\automation ... cars & engines.
I nuked everything in here and then I'm re-verifying game content via Steam.

Where do I report anything? I've been all over their forums and don't see a proper submission thread.

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 1, 2015

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I give up - every car I made has been eaten again. :emo:
Stuff that was clearly NOT missing from the build is now missing according to the load script.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Duckaerobics posted:

- Never ever touch the little save icon. Instead run the car on a track and run the engine before you close.

God damnit. This is exactly when it is breaking if I think back. Save button after hitting the track and then closing the app.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I'm so tired of adjusting something and then having the game break the whole car.
If I adjust something on the motor it can give me a nil value for front or rear suspension.
I don't use the save button. All of this started happening after the last build.
And it doesn't just bork 1 car - it borks them all.

I can get 3200cc at about 385g/kWh making 350/306, max speed of ~160. 185x14 or 185x15.
I've had my 1200cc turbo making 220 at ~285g/kWh, max speed of ~145. 145 x 12.
If I could just do suspension setups AND keep a car alive long enough I can get back down into the low 9s at the Green Hell.

I'm so sick of starting over after a few hours of futzing.
Is there a way to rescue my files?

I guess this is the current official procedure for producing a car for those of you with continued issues:
http://automationgame.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7459

Oh dear god - learned to read the charts correct.... 680g/kWh for 471hp

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 8, 2015

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Riso posted:

Reinstall the game.

Your post is difficult to read. kW or HP? Is your speed in mph? What does 185x14 mean?
Those are some drat good economy numbers. Are you sure you are using 1975 as a tech year? You should have twice the values.

Also, following this page, if your Touring car doesn't do at least 9:00, start over.

I'm going to - my numbers are going all over the place constantly.
I can build the same engine 3 times and get 3 different sets of numbers for economy, horsepower, speed.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Is an economy of: 7.65lt/100km any good?
Making 131hp. Green Hell in 9:35.

:back edit:
Found a converter that's nice: unitjuggler.com/convert-fuelconsumption-from-lper100km-to-mpgimperial.html?val=
Put your Litres in at the end.

Rough chart:
code:
LT - USG
40 - 07
30 - 09
25 - 11
20 - 14
15 - 18
10 - 28
07 - 40
05 - 56

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 9, 2015

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
You missed a disclaimer about your car is going down the wrong drat side of the road! :smug:

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
:double post:

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Deedle posted:

I'm making 117.2kW, so about 150-160hp, doing the Green Hell in 9:08, getting a smidgeon under 9l/100km.

How much of that 08 is in suspension setup?
20 more horse power can't be a solid 30 more seconds off of time.
Suspension - it's a black art to me, anyone have a good tutorial?

Duuk posted:

That's because it is passing your jalopy! :smug:

We at Victorian Hooray's will not stand for such talk!
:drops posh driving gloves before you and pulls a sharp about face:

Back edited a post and threw a link to a lt/100km converter for those of us that are all USG-afied.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Riso posted:

My 200 HP turbo guzzling 12l does the Ring under 9 minutes.

See you at the finish line, suckers.

Nice! Some burnt up old Austrian still has you beat.
1975 08 02 6:58,6 196,4 Ferrari 312T F1 Niki Lauda 1975 German Grand Prix, pole-position.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Well must have tweaked something incorrectly - now none of my motors fit and cost an average of 1000-15000 more.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Up until yesterday (I lost another batch of cars) I had a 3200cc v6 producing 320 or there about using 15lt/100km for fuel and getting 8:38. It was a Sportsman class spec with open class pricing.

Thus farr I've had a 1200cc TT v8 producing 200hp using 15lt/100km and doing 9:16 w/o suspension tweaks. 3200cc i4 Turbo that got surprising good results.

I think I need to pick a motor format and drive myself mad with that rather than bounce around.

At this point I honestly don't mind all the lost data as I keep finding new envelopes to push in terms of tweaking the cars.

Lack of TT V6 or TT i6 chaps my rear end.

I'll actually start posting hard data here now that I plan on backing up the data after I build a semi-successful car.

Looks like there was an app update in the last 24hrs.

What files should I be backing up to submit for my vehicles?

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 11, 2015

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Looks like the spaceship in Heavy Metal.
Musta been some good nyborg, man.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Any designs to do RoadAmerica as a track?
I'm trying to figure out that online track editor but the majority of the tutorial is broken.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
So here is what I've whipped out in the last 2.6 hours:
Road America.zip
I'm dead certain I don't know WTF I'm doing with elevations. Camber on curves I did not bother with because I do not have that data handy. :effort:

I used images from the net to make the path file in InkSkape and then I traced out the track using the editor OP recommended.
Re-scaling was pretty easy after getting reasonably close to the actual track length... I believe I'm 2m short overall. This could be solved by simply adding 2 meters to the final straight as it's minimal overlap at the start/finish.
All files included in case any other goons want to 'learn' how to do it or improve upon what I've started.

It is very easy to get a base track down.

Recommended apps:
notepad++
inkscape
images.google
RTFA from track editor link posted by OP

Ooooooh look at that car go off the track and do all sorts of crazy braking in short corners.
Corrected the file and the link above.

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 15, 2015

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Spent about 5 hours on that model in total after I found I had to fix it.
Testing it is a pain in the rear end because it requires that you load Automation to run it and wait anywhere from 30 seconds - 2 minutes to find it's 'broken'.
I can't imagine what debugging the green hell was like to get that little animated car to even remotely stay on course.
I've started doing configurations of the kart / hpd course off of turn 7/8, that's been fun since it's between 900-1600 meters long.
Once you get the hang of it debugging the tracks is very easy.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Duuk posted:

Clearly the key to effective debugging is to turn the year up to 2020 and build the meanest, fastest monster you possibly can.

Actually that's a drat good thought!

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Duuk posted:

Invisigoth

Does it come in cerulean blue?

MrChips posted:

:words: TrackView

Yep - it's what I'm using too to trace out the track paths.
It can be a bit challenging but finding fixes is pretty easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Work has been crazy busy - hope to get my crazy 2.0L Turbo V8 into open class :D
It may be all I can qualify for and have success in.

• Locked thread