Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Ynglaur posted:

A 6 digit PIN? Really? Crack time per password for that is measured in microseconds. So if you have a 50-50 chance of dodging, either most ofyour other users have stronger passwords or you have a lot of users.

I was talking about specific user's password. The system simply don't allow online brute forcing. When I did the calculation the system would lock the account for half an hour after 5 failed attempts within some time frame. You got less than 5 thousand attempts within a year before the password had to be changed. If you got the list of usernames, then you most likely could have cracked someone's PIN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Saukkis posted:

I was talking about specific user's password. The system simply don't allow online brute forcing. When I did the calculation the system would lock the account for half an hour after 5 failed attempts within some time frame. You got less than 5 thousand attempts within a year before the password had to be changed. If you got the list of usernames, then you most likely could have cracked someone's PIN.

out of curiosity, whats the pattern to usernames? finitial+last?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

rabidcowfromhell posted:

This seems wrong but I'm not smart enough to dispute it....

edit: this was a reply to me suggesting people use a password manager
The simplist counter to this argument, is - yes, they don't attack your password. They attack them all. The easiest to break get used first.
There's plenty of YT vids of people throwing GPU arrays at leaked databases and getting 1000's of unsalted passwords in moments.

Once you've concluded you need a stronger password. And a unique password, you have to then conclude the easiest AND most effective solution is a password manager.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

RFC2324 posted:

out of curiosity, whats the pattern to usernames? finitial+last?

That is probably the most common pattern, but there are all kinds of variations. Some have only last name, some are split. And when a self-service account creation for students was built, where you can choose from a list of suggestions, we got usernames like hahaha or xooxoo.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
A friend of mine who isn't too savvy wants to encrypt some of her stuff on an external hdd. Personal documents, I think her diaries, maybe some photos. Shouldn't be more than 1tb all told, probably much less. Bitlocker isn't an option because she has no TPM and no windows pro.

Am I right to just teach her VeraCrypt and managing volumes and stuff or is there a new hotness in lay person-focused volume/drive encryption?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

most consumer external drives have a built in encryption tool, some even do it in hardware

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shop/encrypted-hard-drives

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
You can upgrade to win 10 Pro without reinstalling, and turn off the tpm requirement

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Isn't veracrypt explicitly not maintained and the guys who wrote it said not to use it?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Isn't veracrypt explicitly not maintained and the guys who wrote it said not to use it?
You're thinking of TrueCrypt. The post-humous TC audit showed a few issues which the devs were likely referring to, they were fixed a long time ago. Veracrypt itself has gone through an independent audit and the issues found were fixed. Not using it at this point is quite aggressively paranoid.
That said, a Win10 pro license can be bought for ~$5 and comes with other benefits.
I'd just buy Win10 pro.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Khablam posted:

You're thinking of TrueCrypt. The post-humous TC audit showed a few issues which the devs were likely referring to, they were fixed a long time ago. Veracrypt itself has gone through an independent audit and the issues found were fixed. Not using it at this point is quite aggressively paranoid.
That said, a Win10 pro license can be bought for ~$5 and comes with other benefits.
I'd just buy Win10 pro.

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

I'll still stick to bitlocker/whatever is in my current linux distro, just for convenience

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The upgrade to 10 pro is the proest recommendation, thanks. I didn't know you could do bitlocker without some kind of TPM so that's very helpful!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

tuyop posted:

The upgrade to 10 pro is the proest recommendation, thanks. I didn't know you could do bitlocker without some kind of TPM so that's very helpful!
I've recently done encryption with pro and the only time I know it's on is if you reinstall windows or update the bios you have to type your 100 digit key in.

Pulling it up on your phone and knowing how to use a numpad without looking helps greatly.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

tuyop posted:

For reference Microsoft call it BitLocker To Go.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I've recently done encryption with pro and the only time I know it's on is if you reinstall windows or update the bios you have to type your 100 digit key in.

Pulling it up on your phone and knowing how to use a numpad without looking helps greatly.

That's regular BitLocker using TPM.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Pile Of Garbage posted:

That's regular BitLocker using TPM.
Yeah there's a TPM in my Ryzen 3700x I guess.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I just recently had to do that to resurrect an old tablet running Windows 10. Using the onscreen keyboard. Like 3 times because of how hosed the previous install was. :emo:

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Does anyone know if there are any users on SA that have achieved a CVE certification? Or has earned a CVE for some discovery?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My roommate just got hit with a sextortion scam, the whole "send me btc or I send a video of you masturbating to all your friends and family" thing. That's not the big concern, the concern is she opened a .txt attachment in the email containing the blackmail message. I had her shut down her computer, but I'm trying to figure out if she needs to flatten just her C drive or every drive on her computer in case the virus that was likely in the .txt file. Thoughts? I've told her never to open unexpected attachments but it's a bit late now. She opened it in the Gmail previewer, she didn't download it fullly, not sure if that makes a difference at all.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
if it's just a txt it probably can't be anything? doubly so if it was only opened in chome

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, thanks. I hadn't thought about the Chrome previewer thing at first, and I wasn't sure how hard/easy it is to run a virus out of a text file like you can from a PDF.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Delete system32 just to be safe

astral
Apr 26, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My roommate just got hit with a sextortion scam, the whole "send me btc or I send a video of you masturbating to all your friends and family" thing. That's not the big concern, the concern is she opened a .txt attachment in the email containing the blackmail message. I had her shut down her computer, but I'm trying to figure out if she needs to flatten just her C drive or every drive on her computer in case the virus that was likely in the .txt file. Thoughts? I've told her never to open unexpected attachments but it's a bit late now. She opened it in the Gmail previewer, she didn't download it fullly, not sure if that makes a difference at all.

Fair chance it wasn’t a text file, but a disguised shortcut with a .txt extension that launches e.g. a hidden powershell window and runs some code, but if she just looked at it with the previewer that shouldn’t be an issue.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Since there is no imbedded data or anything in a txt file, if there is a virus you can visually see it with your eyes if you preview the file.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Rufus Ping posted:

Delete system32 just to be safe

I'm on Linux, can I just run rm /rf ~ instead?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm on Linux, can I just run rm /rf ~ instead?

If you’re running Linux you already owned yourself way harder than any joke suggestions we make here would.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's actually Windows 10, the only thing I own running Linux is a Pi

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

22 Eargesplitten posted:

well you can either run the built-in windows antivirus and see if it picks anything up, or if that won't make her feel safe she can format and reinstall Windows. she will probably know if she has a virus or not when it encrypts all her files and tells her to send bitcoin to an address for the decryption password. but i haven't really heard of "opening a text file in gmail preview on your browser" as a risk factor in any sandbox escape or privilege escalation exploits so she is probably fine

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I think I may have a keylogger on my PC.

I play a popular online computer game (League of Legends). I logged on this morning to play a round or two. Long story short, my account was temporarily banned for security reasons for logging on from a different location. When I went to check on my recent game history I saw a ton of games I never played.

Now to state the elephants in the room -
No I have never shared my account password for this game. I have never logged on to another computer other than my own to play this game. All logins to this program are done from one computer in my house, and to clear things up. I have no children, family members, or any relatives who could have logged on. My computer is on a wireless connection with a few other tenants of the apartment I'm sharing.

My next thought was a keylogger. I ran a Malwarebytes scan and it found a few entries in my uTorrent program. It removed those.
I'm hoping I got a keylogger through uTorrent, and that scan removed it.

I'm not real up to snuff on keyloggers. But I'd like to make sure my computer is cleared of any threat. What should I do next to be sure I don't have someone getting access to my private information?

I was thinking of posting a hijackthis log, but I haven't been really up to date on computer security since 2010 so any suggestions would be welcomed.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 9, 2021

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Change your password, add/change your 2FA, and :pt:.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Is it a unique password? Or possibly been exposed in some password dump

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

fourwood posted:

Change your password, add/change your 2FA, and :pt:.

Ok. Yeah. I changed my password and got up to date on 2 step security. Out of curiosity , is it possible for other tenants on my wireless network to pick up personal information? Is a wired connection more secure. :shrug:

rafikki posted:

Is it a unique password? Or possibly been exposed in some password dump

Not sure how that would have gone down. But my password is a 10 letter password with a mixture of some @#$, numbers, and capital and lower case.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

zaepg posted:

Ok. Yeah. I changed my password and got up to date on 2 step security. Out of curiosity , is it possible for other tenants on my wireless network to pick up personal information? Is a wired connection more secure. :shrug:

Not sure how that would have gone down. But my password is a 10 letter password with a mixture of some @#$, numbers, and capital and lower case.

It doesn't matter what it is, the question is if it's a password you've used elsewhere or only for LoL.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

rafikki posted:

It doesn't matter what it is, the question is if it's a password you've used elsewhere or only for LoL.

Oh, I understand. In that case. Yes. I have a few different passwords. But my LoL password is used elsewhere.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, if you've used the same password anywhere else ever basically consider it compromised.

Also the official version of uTorrent has been shipped with malware since 2015, please switch to another torrent client ASAP and remove it from your system.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

zaepg posted:

Oh, I understand. In that case. Yes. I have a few different passwords. But my LoL password is used elsewhere.

It's entirely possible your system has been compromised, but it's just as likely that your password was leaked from somewhere else. Password reuse is one of the most common, if not the most common, methods of account compromise. If you care at all about securing your accounts, you should invest some time (and maybe a little money) into a password manager. Here's some random article I pulled up going into detail about why they're good and important: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/why-you-need-a-password-manager-yes-you/. I'll personally recommend 1password which does involve a subscription, but there are other options out there if you don't want to pay.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

zaepg posted:

All the other posters points are valid but yeah this is also possible and not good in general.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

zaepg posted:

Wireless traffic is easier to snoop since radio goes everywhere while a wire is harder to physically tap. But I expect your game and most websites that aren’t completely scamtastic to use TLS or similar to encrypt the connection, including your login, so even if an attacker has all your traffic they’ll still have to decrypt it.

Given what you posted it’s far more likely one of the other sites that you reused the password on got popped and someone took the password and email from there and tried popular sites until they got lucky. Get a password manager (Keepass, Bitwarden, 1password, etc) and take this opportunity to change every password to a unique strong password for each website. Turn on two-factor authentication anywhere it’s offered.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Deluge is a pretty good torrent client for downloading official versions of Linux and nothing else.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

zaepg posted:

A good place to start would be to run your email addresses through haveibeenpwnd.com Its a handy tool that checks if your emails were exposed in public hacks/password dumps. (edit:typo)

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 10, 2021

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Ah-ha

zaepg fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

this site is impossible to use for me because I use a different vanity email address for almost every website