Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

And still no humans got eaten by any Omec. :v:
So it seems that the Omec were more technologically advanced than the rest of the Votans, since they seem to have some form of FTL engine whereas the VC didn't?

MrData posted:

My thoughts when he shot off in the spaceship: how amazing would it be for the show to turn into a Farscape-like show. It would be the ballsy-est thing a show has ever done. Ditch most of the main cast and setting and turn into this ship-based sci-fi show.

But as it is, I wouldn't mind this being the series finale. Apart from the cheap CGI I enjoyed it.
It'd be pretty cool to see Nolan and Yewl's Crazy Adventures through Space, but it'll never happen unless they get a bigger CGI budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music
Looks like Berlin works as a dominatrix between acting gigs:

:nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkJd4h5T2kg

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

MrData posted:

. It would be the ballsy-est thing a show has ever done. Ditch most of the main cast and setting and turn into this ship-based sci-fi show.

Didn't work so well for Buck Rogers.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Barack HUSSEIN posted:

Looks like Berlin works as a dominatrix between acting gigs:

:nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkJd4h5T2kg

You really need to get your eyes examined. Apart from being female and having a significant nose she doesn't have much in common with Berlin.

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music
What a humorless boring creature.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

bull3964 posted:

Really, you can't get more on the nose, ruffian sheriff with a heart of gold rides off into the sunset after saving the town for one last time.

But goddamn do I want the Nolan and Uwell buddy travels show.

I finally got caught up on the last few episodes, and I honestly think I'd prefer to see the show go out this way rather than coming back for another season. Sci-fi shows with satisfying conclusions are rare enough as it is.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

I finally got caught up on the last few episodes, and I honestly think I'd prefer to see the show go out this way rather than coming back for another season. Sci-fi shows with satisfying conclusions are rare enough as it is.

We need another season to find out what happened to Pilar. And why Berlin returned to the town.

I think there will be a time jump to after the next election, with Alak as mayor - and Nolan & Yewll returning.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Sep 7, 2015

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Binary Logic posted:

We need another season to find out what happened to Pilar. And why Berlin returned to the town.
No, we don't. Neither of those things would add anything to the story.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Didn't Berlin say she came back because she heard about Nolan killing the VC leader? Also with all the time that has passed Pilar is definitely dead.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, it was a throwaway reason for a throwaway storyline that was just created to incite conflict. An Pilar was left open ended (assumedly) to be able to possibly bring her back at a later date. Her arc is over though, and to bring her back would be silly - her only defining characteristic baby stealin'.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Welp:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/10/16/defiance-follows-dominion-to-cancellation-at-syfy/479013/

At least it ended on a decent note.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Pouring one out for lost homies...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Good. Anything that followed up on that ending would have ruined it.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

I think we were all expecting it.

Disappointing yeah but I'm happy we still got some form of closure.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

haveblue posted:

Good. Anything that followed up on that ending would have ruined it.

Good point. Still a bummer.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
This news is disgusting, but really this series had a lot of untapped potential and wasted opportunities. The ending was fitting.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:rip:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TEAH SYAG posted:

This news is disgusting, but really this series had a lot of untapped potential and wasted opportunities. The ending was fitting.

Even for season 2 finale you can tell they weren't sure it was going to get renewed.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
This news is about as surprising as when the doctor tells you that your friend, who you've watched deteriorate during a long battle with what ended up being end-stage liver cancer, has passed away.

Of course the show got cancelled. Ratings went down, and there was no reason to believe they'd go back up. The show wasn't a sexy rehash of things done before, like, say, BSG. It was gritty and fairly original, and given enough time, it might have built a more respectable base. But, that's just a fan of the show talking. They had three seasons, and things weren't looking up. And that's sad, because there was a lot they really could have done with this concept, the setting, the characters, and the premise.

The season ending, now the series finale, was pretty final. I didn't see how they could continue the show without one of its core characters, and bringing him back would be cheap writing at best.

RIP, Defiance.

I'd say that this news makes St. Louis seem a little more grim, but it's pretty loving grim already.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So passes the last -real- scifi show left on the air I suppose.
I don't think there's any other series currently airing that features aliens and space ships all that jazz.

God loving drat it, I want my aliens and space ships on my tv! :negative:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Expanse starts in December and it has spaceships and such.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

muscles like this? posted:

The Expanse starts in December and it has spaceships and such.

Oooooh this sounds really great actually and oh gently caress Thomas Jane!

Oh... it's still on Syfy.
Based on a series of ongoing novels.

Yeah this doesn't stand a chance in hell.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

drat shame, such a great show. It was like a scifi Deadwood. Really lived up to it's premise and hype, and actually achieved more. Great characters and amazing worldbuilding of a really neat world that was all brand new.

I think it's problem was that it was straight scifi on Syfy at a time when such programming was not a priority for the network, and it wasn't given the promotion it deserved. It came on when they were still showing wrestling IIRC, and non scripted shows like Face Off were the new wave. Had it debuted this year, I'd be a 7 year show. I mean, I like Dark Matter a lot and I'm glad it's still around, but I'd gladly have traded it for another season of Defiance.

I never thought it would recreate the almost mainstream appeal of a BSG, but it had potential for more popularity than it got. Fantastic ending though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Where are the sci-fi fans? Why weren't they watching this? Is science fiction tv doomed to Nth# remakes and sterilized franchises?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I think real scifi tv died with BSG, everything kept trying to imitate it after it ended and failing and so they just stopped trying.

Now we get crap like Minority Report which are VAGUELY scifi but grounded enough that you won't feel like NECKBEARD UNCOOL NERD for watching it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Deakul posted:

I think real scifi tv died with BSG, everything kept trying to imitate it after it ended and failing and so they just stopped trying.

Now we get crap like Minority Report which are VAGUELY scifi but grounded enough that you won't feel like NECKBEARD UNCOOL NERD for watching it.

Also stuff like zombies and period pieces like Vikings are hot right now.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Amusing that even with its lower ratings it was still Syfy's "most watched drama series this year".

They hosed up the first season too much; it wasn't good, and I was surprised it got a second season let alone a third. An expensive genre show like this one really had to come out strong to get some legs, else it gets easily dismissed by prospective viewers despite actually good followup season(s) as the ratings slide and the finances catch up on the road to cancellation.

It ended well, and I am happy for that.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm gonna go listen to a certain Johnny Cash duet in memoriam. Cheery bye, Defiance, you had cool characters and a nifty world and Datak Tarr.

I'll always wonder who'd survive in a fight to the death between Datak Tarr and Mickey Donovan.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

johntfs posted:

Any word on when the DVD/Blue-Ray will be released?

Dec. 22 according to Amazon

RIP Defiance. You had a good ending :unsmith:

wormil posted:

Where are the sci-fi fans? Why weren't they watching this? Is science fiction tv doomed to Nth# remakes and sterilized franchises?

Stuff sank when BSG went to poo poo and it never went consistently upright for consecutive years ever since.

I feel confident about the state of the Syfy channel at least. 12 Monkeys was great, Haven's having a good last season, Continuum had a great last season, and The Expanse and Childhood's End at least look interesting.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah, I'm sad this show is gone but it was a really, really good ride.

As for the cancellation, I don't think it was too much of a surprise. My ex interviewed for a VP Assistant gig at SyFy before this aired and, since I'm from St. Louis and she knew I was excited, she asked them about it. Apparently, they had a ton riding on the success of the show. As in, they were pumping the kind of money into it that was aimed to completely revitalize the entire network. After it aired, well... it didn't do that. It was a good show and a breath of sci-fi air, but it was massively expensive.

They wanted another BSG and didn't get the return on the investment they were hoping. They were cross-promoting the hell out of the show in that first season (remember those sweet car commercials) but it just wasn't enough in the wake of the Comcast restructuring.

Still, I'm glad with what we got. I'm less glad the cast has to find work though; they were perfect for the show and I was hoping they'd get to ride on a few more seasons.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I thought the show wouldn't cost that much since Trion was partially footing the bill but I guess since the game has kind of sunk as well, financing must have gotten harder considering the Expanse is also apparently SyFy's attempt at the next Game of Thrones.

Aside from Minority Report, there was also Killjoys, the 100, Continuum (finished)12 Monkeys, Dark Matter (lol) and all those zombie shows that fall into sci-fi viewing so its not like it was the only thing on TV.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
The 100 is a good fix for some gangster-rear end poo poo if anyone's looking for a fix.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Kegslayer posted:

I thought the show wouldn't cost that much since Trion was partially footing the bill but I guess since the game has kind of sunk as well, financing must have gotten harder considering the Expanse is also apparently SyFy's attempt at the next Game of Thrones.

Aside from Minority Report, there was also Killjoys, the 100, Continuum (finished)12 Monkeys, Dark Matter (lol) and all those zombie shows that fall into sci-fi viewing so its not like it was the only thing on TV.

Didn't the game go free to play after like a year? Or has it only been free to play for a year? I only just tried it out the last couple of months. It's fun, and there were a surprising amount of people online at any given time, but I don't know how they intend to keep such a large world going on microtransactions alone.

And yeah, I suspect the reason a lot of shows got the early warning to wrap up their storylines this season was to free up funds for The Expanse. The reviews coming out of the screenings suggest they have to be shovelling cash into the production values with a backhoe.

I'll miss Defiance, but I'll always be grateful they didn't end it on a cliffhanger or anything like that. It was sad, but satisfying.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I still have the last two episodes of this to go, and apparently I still have some Datak Ownage moments coming, but did anyone ever make a gif of Rahm Tahk's reaction to Datak chopping off his own arm? Or, even better, an avatar-sized one?

Gangster-rear end poo poo indeed. :perfect:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

OB_Juan posted:

A gangsta rear end gif:

This one?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You, sir, are a goon and a gentleman. :cheers:

drat, that was a great finale too. If the show had to be canceled, I'm glad it ended like that.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I can't describe how amazing that whole sherries of events was. We get a nice little back story and it looks like Datek is really truly sorry about all the bad poo poo he did. Now he's going to nobly sacrifice himself to save the town. Haha NOPE! He's cutting off his arm and making a run for it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Dr_Amazing posted:

I can't describe how amazing that whole sherries of events was. We get a nice little back story and it looks like Datek is really truly sorry about all the bad poo poo he did. Now he's going to nobly sacrifice himself to save the town. Haha NOPE! He's cutting off his arm and making a run for it.

Well, Datak is basically a cockroach. Ugly as gently caress, always underfoot, and refuses to die.

I like to think he really was willing to sacrifice himself to make up for his actions (to Alak if nobody else) but as soon as he saw Rahm Tak had his chargeblade he was like 'Yes! I can bullshit out of this...'

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Well, Datak is basically a cockroach. Ugly as gently caress, always underfoot, and refuses to die.

I like to think he really was willing to sacrifice himself to make up for his actions (to Alak if nobody else) but as soon as he saw Rahm Tak had his chargeblade he was like 'Yes! I can bullshit out of this...'

I think he had the whole thing planned from the beginning such as how he flattered and manipulated Rahm Tak to set things up for his miracle escape plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I like to think that the only thing at all that he truly had planned out was the part of the "plan" where he doesn't actually die.

• Locked thread