Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Gonz posted:

The episode of Doctor Who where Tony Curran plays Vincent Van Gogh was on last night; I was half expecting him to rattle off a sarcastic comment and murder someone.

As Vincent he cut off an ear and as Datak he cut off an arm. He's becoming the Sean Bean of self-amputation. He needs a hashtag, like #Don'tdismemberTonyCurran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The TV IV > Defiance Season 3: That Was Some Gangster-Assed poo poo!

That was beautiful. I started cackling like a loon when Datak started chopping his own arm off. Just loving beautiful. Rahm Tak had a good plan, too; it was a great trap. But oh, Datak, you slimy, beautiful little bastard. I love it. Nice choice of soundtrack, too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol that anyone seriously though Datak would die. How many episodes are left? I guess the remainder will deal with the Omec?

That did seem like kind of a letdown after they built up General Beecher so much.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Holy poo poo. :allears:

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

Really? A ticking clock on your bomb?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
ahahahahaha

That entire scene was perfect.

...although at this point I'm wondering who is actually still alive inside Defiance. Most of the town was supposed to have left before the season started, another 20-30 died inside the tunnel, and the preview for the next episode sounded like a rampaging monster like the Hellbug episode. Or something equivalently Olmec-y. The season's gonna end with the town having like three people left.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

MinorRed posted:

Really? A ticking clock on your bomb?

Really. Presumably what they're going to do will destroy the stasis net for at least a little while. So, they want to see what's going on in Rahm Tak's camp and keep track of how long they have until the bomb goes off. If Rahm figures it out and orders a retreat from the net, it makes a difference whether there's two minutes to go or two seconds to go. If Rahm's forces start fleeing and they have time to make it to safety, Defiance will stop the bomb to at least keep the stasis net in place as a defense.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Cheston posted:

...although at this point I'm wondering who is actually still alive inside Defiance.

They're sacrificing the extras to make that last scene perfect. :unsmigghh:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Episode owned. Truly gangster rear end poo poo. :perfect:

ded fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 25, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Datak playing his own father was a stroke of genius.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
The end of this episode was god drat brilliant. God damnit Datak, you are the best drat cockroach on the earth.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I'm sorry, Defiance. First for being mad you were going to let Datak live. Then second for doubting you would let him live in the most Datak way possible.

Episode loving owned. I love this goddamn show.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Batham posted:

The end of this episode was god drat brilliant. God damnit Datak, you are the best drat cockroach on the earth.

The cockroach type is my favorite drat kind of rear end in a top hat character. :allears: Gaius :allears:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

XboxPants posted:

The cockroach type is my favorite drat kind of rear end in a top hat character. :allears: Gaius :allears:

I loved his massive smile after he realized he had successfully escaped.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

etalian posted:

I loved his massive smile after he realized he had successfully escaped.

He was happy that not only had he ecaped, he'd retrieved his Charge blade and wraught vengeance on Rahm Tak and secured a not-so-posthumous pardon for himself and Stahma. Plus, figure with the right tech, he'll probably even grow his arm back, too. It was "I am Datak Tarr! And I! Win! Again!"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hahaha, I caught on the moment he asked for the blade. loving loving this show and I'm happy that we've still got more of the season to go. :swoon:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Alak has really come into his own this season too. Curious on where they go with his character - just a father or back to being a dj or both, or something else.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

GreenNight posted:

Alak has really come into his own this season too. Curious on where they go with his character - just a father or back to being a dj or both, or something else.

I think it'll be something else, though I don't know what. It's pretty clear that they're building something between him and Irisa (and I have to admit that I never expected that). Really I'm more interested to see Datak's reaction to Stahma "trading up." I find myself feeling sorry for Kindzi, who is so clearly overmatched by Stahma and is also going through her own introduction to Earth, AKA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KThlYHfIVa8

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Given that we're returning to monster of the week next week, I have to assume that this being a siffy show they will have him step in to the role that Datak played in Defiance in some capacity or another. The whole chargeblade flashback thing in this episode suggests that at least some torch passing will happen.

Also Datak owns and I'm so glad they found a way for him to live but still be true to his slippery badass nature.

I guess the main season plot now has to be with the Olmec, so Stahma probably gets her chance too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The acting owned for all the VC soldiers for how they loved the loyalty test.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I can't believe one of my favorite characters on TV right now is on a SyFy show.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Holy poo poo that entire ending was perfect. :stare:

The Tarrs are the best characters on this show forever.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

VodeAndreas posted:

Holy poo poo that entire ending was perfect. :stare:

The Tarrs are the best characters on this show forever.

Clarified that for you.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

This whole ending setup was a roller coaster for me, and only when it was over could I applaud, because dammit, they did with me what they wanted to do with me, and I like to consider myself a fairly savvy viewer.

Leading up to the endgame, I knew there would be a trap; the only question was whether or not Nolan had sniffed out the interloper. He hadn't. I figured they'd kill all those militiamen, because they took so much time getting us to care about them that really, the only thing they could do was kill them off.

The Butcher of Yosemite strikes again! Nolan might be a good lawkeeper but is a really bad military commander.

Besides all the glorious Datak scenes it was good to see Irisa return to being badass, stabby Amazing Goddess of the Badlands. :ese:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The look on Rahm Tak's face as the arm removal was taking place was some classic poo poo. Someone please tell me there's a GIF of that.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Paradoxish posted:

I can't believe one of my favorite characters on TV right now is on a SyFy show.

Rahm Tak and Datak Tarr should be nominated for major awards for their performances this season. This show is unbelievable and holds up against anything currently on TV. Season 3 of Defiance at this rate is going down as one of the most amazing turnarounds in quality ever.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Fingers crossed it gets renewed.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

MacDougall posted:

Rahm Tak and Datak Tarr should be nominated for major awards for their performances this season. This show is unbelievable and holds up against anything currently on TV. Season 3 of Defiance at this rate is going down as one of the most amazing turnarounds in quality ever.

It's like night and day between the first 2 seasons and this season. Every episode advances multiple plots, and the performances are getting better all the time.

Tony Curran is a goddamn sleazeball treasure, and yeah, Lee Tergesen owned the Rahm Tak role.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I liked this episode because it was the first time they said poo poo instead of schtako. :v:

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
A shame that viewership is down on last year. Who would have watched season 2 and tuned out during this season! Boggles the mind.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

MacDougall posted:

A shame that viewership is down on last year. Who would have watched season 2 and tuned out during this season! Boggles the mind.

Defiance is easily the best episodic show currently on Syfy. 12 Monkeys is probably second best, with Killjoys up there, too. Dominion is kinda "meh".

Dark Matter has sadly turned into a paint by numbers "spaceship mystery of the week show" that's trying way too hard to be Firefly 2.0.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Z Nation.... yo

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Z Nation.... yo

I know a lot of people love Z Nation, but I can't comment on it because i've never seen it. It looks like goofy fun, though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's extremely loving goofy. It's great if you do not take it seriously at all and just enjoy the ride.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

MacDougall posted:

gently caress the nomination. I say, give them all a leg lamp!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Can't wait for Datak's dumb face, when he notices Alak ain't dead.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Combat Pretzel posted:

Datak knew Alak wasn't dead. I can't wait for Alak's face when he realizes Datak ain't dead.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

I can't wait for Alak's face when he notices Datak isn't dumb.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

johntfs posted:

Datak knew Alak wasn't dead. I can't wait for Alak's face when he realizes Datak ain't dead.
Ah, I understood that scene as Alak playing dead. Well then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ah, I understood that scene as Alak playing dead. Well then.

It could've been that, but I read it as Alak resting from his wound. Figure if he was feigning death, Datak could've tumbled to it and screwed the plan with Rahm Tak. As it was, Alak had been shot by Rahm Tak's forces and needed Datak to both avenge him and to save him. And Datak did that in the most awesomely Datak way possible.

• Locked thread