Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Yeah so this game. I think I now understand how everyone else feels when looking at SpaceChem leaderboards. I'm more than happy to simply solve and maybe tweak my terrible solutions a little bit, because there is no way I'm catching up to you wizards.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/244969/Things_we_create_tell_people_who_we_are_Designing_Zachtronics_TIS100.php

Zach posted:

The funny thing, he adds, is that TIS-100 is already doing pretty well in light of what it cost to produce. “I think a large part of it is just because of how audacious it is,” says Barth. “Like, having a tutorial that basically says ‘Hey, read this 14-page manual, rear end in a top hat,’ seems like it would be a really bad thing for your game, but apparently it's actually pretty effective.”

This has to be part of the reason why I'm enjoying playing this game that I should hate with every fibre of my being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Moog posted:

I swear, every time I get into one of these Zachtronics games before I even have the chance to figure out the basics, someone else has already gone HAM in the sandbox doing stuff that I won't even understand by the time I finish the game-provided puzzles.

Wizards :argh:

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Peak detector
I'm not actually too happy with it, even though it's 346, several cycles faster. I've gotten a 345, and the high score on my friends list is a significantly faster 295
Does anyone have any scores they're really proud of? I am most pleased with my solutions for

Peak detector, 27 cycles. :smug: 363 for my non-cheaty solution
Exposure Mask Viewer: solved and 2nd on my friends' list somehow at 736 cycles. That was very close to being a Not Fun Level.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

chrisoya posted:

Edit: the new opcode is going to be really useful, it definitely fits my coding style. Well I guess if you really want to know(opcode spoiler -->)it's HCFand reboots the system.

WildM is going to be thrilled at this.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I'm in the same boat. Maybe I just don't get stack memory nodes? I've only needed them for sequence reverser and indexer, and I find them a pain because you have to use pretty much an entire node just to keep track of how many numbers are in there. Trying to do a sort at the same time just makes so many nodes, it's too hard to work with. Also having the two memory stacks be in the worst place possible doesn't help much with sorter.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I still don't get Sequence sorter, so let's try to solve stored image decoder.

*cue up 2 hours of music to listen to*
*write 20 lines of code over 5 minutes*
*done*

Oh. Well then.

Seriously, sequence sorter, how do you do that? I do know what selection sorts and bubble sorts are, there's just not enough room to do it all in, especially with the stack nodes so far away from each other.

Edit: My only chance to humblebrag on this game.

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 7, 2015

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Thanks for the tip!

Hey you wizards out there, let's see if you can figure out if the teaser trailer noise actually has any secret data in it. It's not a spectrogram image, I can add that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
When TIS-100 came out, I called it horrifying. I was wrong. This is horrifying. This is 4th year EE signal processing somehow in video game form. Just. No. Why? And why do I want to preorder it?

• Locked thread