Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
:stonklol:

Well played game. The opaque 3x3 sprites not working are a bitch and handling it pixel by pixel is a garbage amount of data to wrangle and a perfectly placed error node to keep you from going comfortably wide, am I missing a simple transformation to describe those shapes? Otherwise I'll get back to trying to find enough lines to cram everything in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Quinton posted:

My approach to this one used a lot of instructions but was pretty quick.

I generate a stream of 5 relative coordinate pairs per sprite and add them to the base coordinates from the input.

I also started with opaque 3x3 sprites and was annoyed to discover that no, that wasn't going to work.
Did it thanks to that. I think my brain had written off a relative transform as too wide with that corner node out of commission which is an odd thing to get stuck on since you aren't about to fit instructions for two cases of sprite in one node while directing it where it needs to go. Offloading to a transform node means I suddenly had room to pass the white or red key to everything which was my unfounded hangup. Its nearly as simple as the opaque code and a lot drat sexier.

I could watch this thing run for minutes, its amazing how entertained you can be by the simplest thing when its your simplest thing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The last row is all the horror stories my computer savvy math professors told us about how horrible the computer guts really are for division, made manifest.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The histograms are very clear I'm not going to win any awards for any category but I had 3 parallel stacks running similar checks so for the sequence abcde, the first stack would report on abc, the second stack on bcd, and the third stack on cde. The offset in feed seemed to be enough to prevent a race and keep them reporting in order while sharing moving nodes.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You're right, the TIS-100 is closer to art. :nws:???? http://i.imgur.com/ra4zuGR.png

Freeform drawing program I made in case you want to laugh at bad code or draw dicks yourself on pastebin

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Demicol posted:

Is this possible to get into without never having done any coding? Does it teach you properly?
I haven't touched programming since learning a modicum of some franken-BASIC when I was 12. My nearest reference point is trying to make overly complex logical expressions in Excel. The good news is you have a relatively small toolkit. The bad news is you have a relatively small toolkit.

Can you convert a flow chart in your head or on paper to prose? That's the basic skill needed over a visualizer like SpaceChem except the prose isn't in English.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Vlad the Retailer posted:

I haven't solved Primes yet, but if you're doing trial division, it's helpful to keep in mind that you only need to check against the primes below (and including)
My fat fingers taught me the scored trial data set doesn't include any multiples of 23, 29, or 31. So I guess have at it till the test set is changed, probability is on your side to finish the random data test at that point.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Quinton posted:

The Sequence Sorter is infuriating. I wish I had FIFOs.
I think I've settled on the basic architecture I want but I have a feeling my poor grasp on JRO efficiency tricks are going to be my downfall since it depends so much on a master controller tracking the number of writes to out left to go and trying to keep the entire board in sync with JRO communication pulses.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

homeless snail posted:

They took out prime detector and scatter plot viewer. That's hosed up.
Those were probably the most fun I had. If a puzzle deserved to die (or preferably be gentler with node placement) its sequence sorter.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ymgve posted:

I think Sequence Sorter has been changed slightly - I seem to recall the lower right node was corrupted before, but now it's a normal node.

Still trying to figure out how I'm gonna solve it, though.

(I also did the new task, Signal Window Filter, without any stacks. But I kinda cheated)
I've got notes in the bottom right of one of my aborted attempts of Sequence Sorter so I don't think that's changed. If the corrupted node or top stack was anywhere else it seems like the communication pathways would open up immensely, which might defeat the authorial intent since the math is from a previous puzzle, but it'd save me from going crazy trying to sync everything.

If I had the attention span for the algebra I feel like there's a cleverer solution than what I have for Signal Window Filter but as it is its a super simple sequence of sums with an acc memory cascade. That puzzle could probably fit on the third row, if not second, of puzzles as far as brain tickling for a basic solution goes. What would you even use the stacks for in that puzzle?

e. I figured out a stack using solution for it and either my memory handling is incredibly amateur (very possible), or he needs to step up his sequence length game if we are supposed to use stacks because for n=5 it was pretty simple to cram everything in execution nodes but the memory handler seems like it'd be scalable to pretty large sequences.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 10, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Yoshimo posted:

Are there any games like this but...less hard? :effort:
Human Resource Machine has you doing similar mathematics based assembly coding, with a more visual interface and a slightly calmer ramp. The visual interface is more or less hard depending how your brain works, but the calmer ramp is more illusory and the difficulty walls still exist.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It looks like the maximization metrics for leaderboards are in universe, power used and production cost. I can't wait to get shamed by what actual experts can put together with simple ICs and paperclips while I am hacking solutions together from over complicated microcontroller schemes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
slp seems to wake on input change? So basically, if input changes, continue through the code. So most useful comboed with teq based infinite loops to save power, which seems to be an aggregate instruction count since the signals are continuous.

e. The closer I look the more confused I get because that first processor is pretty clearly a continuous to discrete signal converter, and if slp wakes on input change, you could do continuous to discrete with just slp 1 | mov p0 x1 instead of checking for change with the teq

zedprime fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 14, 2016

• Locked thread