Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Anyone managed to solve the second last challenge, the sorting challenge yet? I know what I must do but there are so many communication pathways that will cross through each other to make it viable that I don't even know where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I should really go back and modify some solutions so they use JRO. Way too many of my solutions stash things in BAK just so I can receive a flag from another node and branch on it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Orthogonalus posted:

I fit the niche for this game perfectly. Until the last row. gently caress the last row forever.

If you just want to open the final level, do the division one. You've supposedly already done multiplication, so you "just" have to do the opposite.

If you want to 100% the last row...well...

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

zedprime posted:

Those were probably the most fun I had. If a puzzle deserved to die (or preferably be gentler with node placement) its sequence sorter.

I think Sequence Sorter has been changed slightly - I seem to recall the lower right node was corrupted before, but now it's a normal node.

Still trying to figure out how I'm gonna solve it, though.

(I also did the new task, Signal Window Filter, without any stacks. But I kinda cheated)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
And I finally solved Sequence Sorter. It was really hard to cram everything into place, three of my nodes have 14 instructions and two have 13 and 12 instructions respectively.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I see some people with like 2000 cycle prime detectors. How is that possible? A filter that just checks all known primes below 999?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Speaking of friends lists, anyone want to become my friend so we can compare scores? http://steamcommunity.com/id/threedotonefour/

edit: I pressed "ignore" on one of you by accident and I don't recall the name. If you sent me an invite and didn't get accepted, try again.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 11, 2015

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Sequence sorter is in my opinion the hardest problem in the game. (Even harder than the Prime Detector and Scatter Plot Viewer problems that were removed)

My general algorithm became this:
1. Init stacks
2. Get input value
3. If zero, goto 7
4. Move all values from stack A to stack B, inserting the input value at the right point
5. Move all values from stack B to stack A
6. Goto 2

7. Output all values from stack A
8. Goto 1

This sub-optimal solution takes 77 instructions and three of the seven instruction blocks have 14 instructions each. I use a lot of back-and-forth communication and state machine like stuff, but it works (As long as no inputs are 999)

ymgve fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 7, 2015

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I just saw someone else proposing a different algorithm that might be better, too:

1. Pump everything into stack A until you get a 0
2. Move everything from stack A to stack B, and detect the lowest number and output it
3. Move everything from stack B to stack A, but remove the number detected in step 2
4. If stack empty, goto 1. Else, goto 2

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Cheating is still possible, as I have someone on my leaderboard with 31 cycles on T31 Node Emulator.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I assume Zach is finished with the game - it is a pretty small game and seems more of a side project he did while working on Infinifactory.

I wonder if this pen-and-paper thing hints about his next game - something related to biochemistry?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Huh, so according to Linkedin he's not at Valve anymore? I guess their philosophy of not releasing games became too much for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
"slp" sounds like "sleep", whatever that means

• Locked thread