Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

It's been a year or more since I've played, but I wouldn't mind getting back into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Sheesh, just got back from a day of errands, and things are heartily underway. I will catch up in a bit.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

i'm vt but it's okay because it's all about the music.

As others have said, this is a really stupid thing to do. If you're telling the truth, the statement offers town no benefit. The only person who has anything to gain from it would be you, which means you aren't playing for town, you are playing for yourself. I'm thinking most scum players wouldn't go this route, so you're more or less a liability. Think about your fellow members of town.

I think Guisseppe Pizzapie stands out the most to me. He comes in and makes a huge detail about Pinterest Mom. An excessive amount of fuss really. If it was such a compelling thing to talk about, it might be worth a vote that early on. It is weird when people don't vote with their convictions. Then, as you try to back away from all the attention you've drawn to yourself, you're just bringing more attention.

I don't think Ghastly Gangsta is forcing anything, and trying to deflect doesn't seem to be working that well.

##vote GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE

It might have been awhile since I've played, but its weird for somebody to be this spastic right out the gate. Maybe you need a nap, and you can dig yourself out of this hole when you wake up.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Bad post, compadre. You're completely riding on the back of things other people said and did the classic faux +1 to content thing that scum tend to do. You're also framing this argument from an emotional perspective, basically saying without saying it that you find my mannerisms irritating rather than finding me scummy. ##vote RoyDrowsy

You come out the gate acting crazy and erratic, pushing things way harder than they need to be, and then jumping at the throat of anybody who points it out. Granted what I brought to the table wasn't exactly breaking new ground, it was still worthy of note. I was curious to see what would happen if additional pressure was applied to you. Now we know. You continue throwing out revenge votes and attacking everybody who looks at you. You continue to play erratically.

So lets talk about why we can consider your actions scummy.

First, you are throwing votes around like crazy, trying to find something that will stick and take off of yourself. You are not playing as though you have any interest in finding scum, you're playing out of your own interest. I've voted once. I've not moved my vote. This isn't to say I can't, or I wouldn't, but I understand that doing so has weight and value. My job is to eliminate threats to town, and it won't happen if I flail about like fish on a line. You spread chaos and confusion at the expensive of the town's mission.

Second, this recent moment where you are trying to take credit for getting the game going. It is another odd thing to do. This is the first game I've played in which somebody cared who got the ball rolling. The only reason to mention it, is that you're trying to build goodwill and favor towards yourself. If you got the game started by making yourself vote-able, what debt do you think we owe you?

Third, your focus in the scum hunt, the trigger that sets off your radar, is that somebody looks at you. As town, I want to stay in the game, but its more important that my contributions help identify and uncover scum agents, even at the cost of myself. You are not playing that way at all. You are playing like your life matters more than those around you, and that's only true if you're playing for the other team.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Okay, at least you're trying to explain yourself and for that I can move back to ##vote Ghastly Gangsta, but you're misunderstanding a few things and I will do my best to address those now.

Firstly, you say I am throwing my votes around a lot. This is true. What you fail to realize is that pressing somebody without a vote in a game of mafia is akin to doing nothing in a game about doing something. By adding a vote to a suspicion, the incentive to respond is increased and thus the chances of an insightful reaction are also increased. Looking for scum is the number 1 priority and getting as many people meaningfully involved as possible is the biggest hurdle in the pursuit of that.

I understand that votes can be used to generate action, but not when you're spreading it all around town.

I don't want to sound like some Christian lady talking to her daughter about her virginity, but if you toss your vote everywhere with every whim your vote loses meaning.

The first few people might feel inclined to respond to your antics, but after awhile nobody is going to care because you have turned yourself into the local crackpot, who nobody takes seriously.

You keep failing to recognize that your actions are, and continue to be a liability to town. Either you are scum, and you are just really not good at it, or you are a member of town who is actively working against the interests of town.

The whole conversation in this game is now about you. If your are scum you deserve it, if you are town you are giving scum a free ride for all of day one.

You need to rethink your strategy.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I have a very high success rate as both town and scum and I employ this tactic in most of my games. I realize what you think you're saying, but what you're actually saying is you prefer it when people aren't under pressure and you need to find content from pressureless people. I think you'll find your success rate following that strategy is lower. Oh, and I have a track record of leading the vote.

I'm not a liability. I don't think I'll be hanged today because I have the banner of Correct on my side, friend.

It's not that I have a problem with people under pressure, but it takes time for pressure to build. But we can call it a difference of game play, and we can chat about it another time, as there is work to be done.

##UNVOTE I can't say I trust you... but there are other things I would like to look at.

I'd like to hear a bit more from Chic Trombone. They'be been around and contributing in small ways to the conversation, but there really hasn't been much of substance. The justification for your vote is rather non-existent, but when the tide seems to be turning a bit, you made sure to get in right in the middle. Seems a little cherry picked.

Also.

Captain Foo posted:

you're still doing it holy lmao

I feel like I missed something here...

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

do you have anything else to add other than a driveby on someone who already has a p deece amount of badposts?

what is it reference to this?

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

I don't know why you all unvoted Pizzapie, but regardless of how he plays in other games he feels like aggro scum. Take a moment to review these posts, or all of them really, he posts a lot about what scum would do, scum tactics, how scum might play this game and his own meta to justify stances. It doesn't seem like normal town speculation, or day 1 pressuring. Instead it feels like a deliberate imposition of bad casing and hysteria. Clearly he's vocal about what's objectively "good" for the game, but I find his reactions far worse than mine.

Whatever, the entirety of your posts are garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzBg6XiBTXo

I think the first point you make is weak. I think Pizzapie makes for an interesting subject, but your reason is silly. I'm no pro at this, but the whole points of the game is to identify what you believe town should do/does do and what scum should do/are doing and use that as the basis of arguments. Using meta arguments, while somewhat pointless in this game, is the sort of thing that happens in the insular community of SA Mafia games. Putting things into the perspective of "what scum" should do, is a natural part of the game. Trying to make that into a reason is weird. These are not spectacular reasons.

That being said, your second point seems rather accurate.

Chic Trombone's posts don't sit right with me. Nobody should be able to make the excuse that its D1, so Its okay that I make weak plays and hope nobody picks up on it. It is the worst kind of cop out, and I don't buy it a bit. You cast a vote because it was convenient, and you attempt to defend it in the weakest way possible. And then you defend those actions in the weakest way possible again. You keep doing things that show you are present, but aren't trying to draw too much attention to yourself. I don't like it, so ##Vote Chic Trombone

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

Again, what am I doing wrong here? What's weird and awkward???

You started off really weird and aggressive and that has turned people off quite a bit.

I need to sit down and rereada bunch of stuff before I comment more, I will be around for deadline.

First impression, I don't know if I found GG scummy, I think they made themselves a target by being somewhat off putting on the front end, but I will give it a review shortly.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Hal Incandenza posted:

You are the living embodiment of your username, trying to parse this has made me very tired indeed.

BUT I am glad to see you back in the game! I've been asking myself for years "whatever happened to Roydrowsy?"

Also even though your case on Chic is not very compelling (she is notorious for being checked out of most games) I do think it comes from an honest place and I like the cut of your jib.

Couple of things about this.
#1. I gotta be honest. That hurts a little bit.
#2. I find myself doubtful that this is true, but you flatter me.
#3. I was very pleased with myself when I learned the origins of that idiom.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

I think he's doing it in such a way that seems pro-town, but is artificial is what I'm saying. I think that's a good thing to do, but I don't think he's doing it for the sake of actually hunting scum.

I don't know if I agree with you, and I'm not sure how you could tell. I didn't see anything spectatular about this, perhaps you could go back and elaborate? I still think this point is weak, and you haven't done much to clarify.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

The only reason I've been "exceptionally hostile" is because of unprovoked criticisms from drive by and or smarmy posters right out the gate. My chains ain't ruffled.

I don't know if you are just playing around with the theme/flavor of the game, or if you really talk this way to people, but I think that it is coming off as aggressive and off putting. Perhaps your play for street cred is lost on others? Making you seem overly aggressive and inspiring suspicion?

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

this isn't a good vote at all, reads like an attitude vote instead of anything with real content behind it. Still pretty happy w/ my vote here

I agree with this statement completely. When Bottle cast their vote, I thought it was also particular fishy.

I think this is why the case on Captain Foo doesn't work for me. This far, I think that Captain Foo has been playing things fairly straight. And they're a voice that I have actually been trusting so far. I think that there are a lot of voices out there that GG could be turning attention to. Trying to flip it to Foo seems more like trying to target somebody who has been playing as an asset to town.

That being said, I am a little unsure about Foo because they have come across as so helpful and confident. Being that confident often comes from a place of having more information than other people, or that could just be how they play. As I do my read through, I'll give it a look, but I think you're trying a move WAY to early with very little to actually go on.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

Yeah, I guess breadcrumbing my rapper is dumb, but I didn't post my vote for Foo in my case on him so I just decided to spice up the post where I actually did.

This is a weird attempt at trying to inject some levity into the situation. It feels weird, and I think that can account for Epsilom's vote.

The whole playing to flavor thing came off as weird and off putting,
Then there is the aggressive play (which is understandable because you are in a tight spot)
Then you turn it around with this line... it literally is weird and awkward.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Hal Incandenza posted:

GG has kind of gone after everyone who has voted him though so it isn't like he ONLY went after Foo, Foo is just the only one who really responded.

And it all seems pretty weak too.

That being said, I don't know if I get that much of a Scum vibe from GG. I think they're just doing a very bad job of playing this particular game and they keep paying for it. At this point, I don't know If I've see anything that would get me to cast one of the last two votes to lynch.

I'd like to hear more from BottleKnight in the meantime.

I also think it is seriously worth note that HiipFire has contributed absolutely nothing of value this entire time. With the action that PizzaPie generated early on and GG currently, they've pretty much been coasting, Dr. Hurt as well.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

apostateCourier posted:

claiming vt means claiming vt, "confirmed" means you got your role pm. That's a really weird argument to make.

just remembered you are in this game.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

##vote pmach

this isn't the first time you've let somebody do the work for you, and toss out a weak vote.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

I was not fully buying the PMach case, which is why I asked a question, and then when PMom said something I found convincing I voted. Would you rather I fabricate reasons to vote?

What do you think about PMach, Roydrowsy?

They are a better choice than ghastly at this point if I had to choose, but I am. It passionate about it.
They've played angry and they haven't contributed to the conversation I. Any meaningful way, but they are also not playing as though they have anything to hide. The fact that they make no effort to blend in suggests there isn't much to lose?

I think you or Chic would be better places to look for a D1 lynch, but with deadline looming (and floating), I don't see that happening.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Dr. Hurt posted:

Nah I've been mostly white noise too which folks have mostly overlooked/forgot about.

Mostly.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I am around, but I don't know if I feel good about it.
##unvote

But I think doing nothing is worse

##vote Propaganda Machine

This is the first time I've hammered somebody, I don't feel to great about it.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Roydrowsy posted:

I am around, but I don't know if I feel good about it.
##unvote

But I think doing nothing is worse

##vote Propaganda Machine

This is the first time I've hammered somebody, I don't feel to great about it.

:redhammer:

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

A GHOST APPEARS!

Hiip flipped,
he done skipped
lame move, spreadin’ cheese
like a baked Nip.

What was the point,
you big dope?
of sayin’ you playin’
then refusin’ to hold rope?

Now I’m Casper,
The friendly ghost
When I offer to host
I’m like beetlejuice
ladies scream my name three times,
I come and I cut loose

Now some of you are wondering,
“how he can?”
Well, I’m coming at you
unnastand,
as a hologram!

I’m photons and protons
tellin’ town to keep getting your vote on!
and if you’re feeling exhausted in an hour or two
pop over to grocer’s and buy some stew.

I may lay, slave to the grave,
pushin’ up dasies, the live long day
but I’ll always have time give proof
and spit truth
even while rottin’ under the floor,
‘bout the supernatural properties of Dinty Moore

THE APPARITION FADES WITH A DROPPED MIC!

Roydrowsy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 12, 2015

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

[Enter Ghost & Town]

My hour is almost come when I to sulphurous and tormenting flames, must render up myself.
Pity me not, but lend thy serious hearing to what I shall unfold….

Holy poo poo town, you are loving this up so much. It physically hurts my incorporeal form to sit and observe what has been going on. My rhymes have enchanted Cerberus, and I have been given a chance to whisper into your ears, but my time is limited.

First, This whole thing where Epsilon Plus suggests that members of town seriously consider using retirement as a way to give town extra shots, its loving crazy Scum have been running this game from the start and nobody seems to have the faintest clue what is going on, but with the ratio thinning, you want to just have people bow out?

This allowed both Dr. Hurt & Hal to cast votes on GG with no justification other than “He will retire and provide information”. Hal’s was literally out of the blue. It doesn’t feel right, but at the same time the whole town has their head up their rear end, it is hard to say what is going on.
Here are some things to consider.

1. Before I was killed, I started to talk about looking at Bottle & Captain Foo. After I was killed, nobody has talked about either of them in any depth. I imagine that this post helped contribute to my being bumped off.

2. I think Bottle is more likely to be Scum. Their play hasn’t improved since my demise, in fact they’ve been able to pretty much sit around and do nothing, because everybody else is blindly stumbling everywhere.

3. Epsilon’s crazy retirement plan is crazy, as are those who buy into it at this point in the game. If you had even an inkling of who scum was or you took one out, it might be worth a shot, but at this point, it’s nuts. It could be a scummy play, or it could be another indicator that everybody is an idiot right now.

The beast, he stirs!

[Exeunt]

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I have yet again found temporary egress from the afterlife.
I can’t do this forever. After awhile, they are going to catch on to what is happening and bar the doors forever. I can’t play the game for you, but perhaps I can stir up enough to shake my killers out of the bushes.

1. It is interesting how Bottle made a triumphant return immediately after my last visit. To answer their question, it is true. People not continuing the conversations I started isn’t scummy. If I were to play scum, I would pick targets based on people who started to sniff around in the wrong place, yet before they really turned it into anything. Eliminating me but an end to both of those conversations, which would be convenient of either of them were scum.

2. In the same line of thought..

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's still Hurt, his whole tone when I laid a vote on him feels wrong to me. Trying to diffuse the vote by painting it as ridiculous is p. scummy I think.
PM was starting to push towards a Case on Hurt, but before much could come of it, also dead.

3. The only other person to put a vote on Hurt is Bottle. This has been a consistent pattern. In two votes, Bottle tosses a useless vote towards Hurt instead of really participating in the conversation. Which given the previous points makes me wonder if Bottle and Hurt aren’t trying to set up opposition between the two of them, perhaps to distract from a possible scum buddies relationship?
Meanwhile… Pizzapie is all over the place.

:siren:please engage my posts when you see them rather than just moving forward and doing what you've been doing (hint: it isn't working).:siren:

You really, really want people to pay attention to you. Not scummy, just more of your weird approach to game play I suppose. If you are town, these types of moves are likely to push other town away from you.

This is a really weak vote. Roy just brought it up again but you'll see that Roy called BK out for this right away and tied it into a previous vote. Roy was found dead the next morning. He's pretty dead set on voting for Hurt, too. Held to that despite new flips and hasn't really branched out to any new reads, even in this new flurry of posts. Would vote.
This is a good post. Perhaps PIE, you can chip away at my Hypothesis going forward? I think your position/stance on Foo is also justified for now. Should they flip otherwise, I will be surprised and disappointed in myself.

6. Yet for everything you say that I like, you also say stupid stuff like this.

Guy jumps at the first opportunity to joke within the serious parts of the game. Is he doing so to force content?
This is in direct relationship to your announcement of a “Hate Day” I am not suggesting looking at Hurt is wrong, but this point is weak.

Here's Hal making GBS threads on the player who ended up being the second most useful town player in the game right out of the gate.

I think some of your thoughts on HAL are interesting, but this is another one of those times where you are straight up wrong. Hal and I have played games together before, though it has been awhile. I wouldn’t read too much into this at all.

Calm thy nerves,
thrice more I shall return

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I keep hemming and hawing about this.
If I am wrong, I pretty much ruin the game.
If I am right, them I'm right.
If I ruin the game, I apologize. But people don't seem really invested, or like they care too much. I was given a couple of votes and the ability to do the following...

If I don't vote, and keep a post available, It prevents a 3 -on - 3 scum win situation for another day,
I don't see how that helps at this point.
if I am right and vote, the game keeps going and town has a chance
If I am wrong, and vote... then i hasten the inevitable.

##vote BottleKnight

If I'm wrong, I'm sorry.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

:redhammer:
One post left.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=895PZQJK5TM

Town... Please click the play button and let it run as you read this post.

I am so very glad that I was able to earn the chance to come back and avenge those who tried to kill me, and help protect my fellow members of town. It took me nearly an hour to make a decision about what to do with BottleKnight, but I am glad I was able to make a difference in your lives, as you have made in mine. In doing so, I have exhausted all of my posting ability. The rest, it is up to you.

<sniff>

It's amazing...
the love inside...
take it with you...

see you

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

And so we have a win for town,
But even with victory, I have to frown
Thanks to some of you, we almost lost the crown
I’m sorry guys, but I have to ask,
Were any of you really up to this task?
I mean, come on, is mafia a game you even like?
Most of You couldn’t finger one, even a little dutch boy can get his up a dyke
That being said, the game was fun
I’m glad we played, I’m glad we won
That last round we owe to Hal,
Good job buddy, good job pal,
Had it been up to me, we’d all have died,
I was sorta trusting pizza pie!
Now the game is over! You know the score!
Give it up to town, and DINTY MOORE!

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

but in all serious, that was a lot of fun.

coming back as a ghost was just about the most fun i've had in a game of mafia ever.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Hal Incandenza posted:

Roy you were a god drat hero

Well, I tried. The whole rap thing was a fun little experience. I teach inner-city middle school, and so we screw around and write rhymes from time to time. There is also a built in advantage in posting from beyond the grave, in that you 100% know and can trust their position/alignment. Even if you think they are wrong, you know their intent is just.

I'm curious HURT,
aside from the random kill... what was the bonus you got when I got my 5 posts and a vote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Tremendous Taste posted:

I hope you stick around and play more games, Roy :)

i will probably play one at a time this summer, when i get too into it, it goes from fun to frustrating rather quickly, and i find myself needing to walk away for awhile. We will just have to see how things look once the school year starts again.

I just signed up for a new game.

• Locked thread