Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«43 »
The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Digital_Jesus posted:

Get a separate box to run veeam for vm backups then use a cloud service to offsite your veeam backups.

Works like a charm. Though Im not hot on crashplan myself, I have other offsite backup hosts.

I run Veeam locally and then use Azure storage sync to get my backups into Azure.

I even do test restores directly from azure storage over smb and it works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

The Fool posted:

I run Veeam locally and then use Azure storage sync to get my backups into Azure.

God bless you for testing your restores.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

someone on yospos slack was saying quip is the best thing ever https://quip.com/

idk anything about it though

My dream of collaborative Excel seems so much more achievable now!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hollow Talk posted:

My dream of collaborative Excel seems so much more achievable now!

https://www.smartsheet.com/

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Also the very obvious https://sheets.google.com.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Might as well https://office.live.com/start/Excel.aspx

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

Tortured By Flan

If only the largest banks in the US got up to the level of process control that smartsheet offers.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Digital_Jesus posted:

Get a separate box to run veeam for vm backups then use a cloud service to offsite your veeam backups.

Works like a charm. Though Im not hot on crashplan myself, I have other offsite backup hosts.

The Fool posted:

Thanks, this was helpful. I'm going to do Veeam to onsite storage and then CrashPlan the critical/finance stuff offsite rather than the whole machine(s).

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I am officially retiring our last 32-bit system as of tomorrow

Next up: Server 2008 R2

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010

Number19 posted:

I am officially retiring our last 32-bit system as of tomorrow

Next up: Server 2008 R2

Out with the old in with the new.

Got some major projects coming up with Server 2008 R2 getting close to end of support.

Can't wait.

Aunt Beth
Feb 23, 2006

Baby, you're ready!

Grimey Drawer

E: wrong thread

NevergirlsOFFICIAL
Apr 24, 2004

I need to put in a UPS in a tiny office. Are there any good 1-2U UPS appliances? In place: 1 firewall, 1 WAP, 1 server doing DNS/DHCP/SMB file share (it's running on a desktop lol) I'd really only need enough juice to power this for 15 minutes.

we usually get apc smartups but idk if there's something better I should be looking at

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I need to put in a UPS in a tiny office. Are there any good 1-2U UPS appliances? In place: 1 firewall, 1 WAP, 1 server doing DNS/DHCP/SMB file share (it's running on a desktop lol) I'd really only need enough juice to power this for 15 minutes.

we usually get apc smartups but idk if there's something better I should be looking at

Last couple of times I've needed to buy a UPS I've just used the APC selector tool: http://www.apc.com/us/en/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

This post is good to go

I usually buy APC or Tripplite for 1-4U. They all equally suck (fail without warning etc)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

I am quite pissed at my fat man avatar.
I am too politically correct to say this out loud though.
I yearn for a reason to exist.
Help.

Fun Shoe

Be careful because a lot of small UPSes are really deep for some reason, or they are shallow but to rack them needs a rail kit that requires a deep rack.

The Eaton Ellipse Pro is a small unit but you can get a rack kit for it that is shallow.

NevergirlsOFFICIAL
Apr 24, 2004

The Fool posted:

Last couple of times I've needed to buy a UPS I've just used the APC selector tool: http://www.apc.com/us/en/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm

thanks last time I used this I ended up buying one with the wrong voltage and everyone got mad at me

Jeoh
Jul 20, 2010

apc smartups 1500VA should be plenty tbh unless your server is actually a furnace

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

Tortured By Flan

PSA with some poo poo I'm reading in SMBs suddenly woke about GDPR

Don't let anyone tell you GDPR is an IT problem. It isn't. It's a process control problem. A business process problem. How to devise and enforce policy minimizing customer data retention is up to management, tracking down who is using what data is up to each C exec within his/her responsibility, reporting on that data is up to a relationship between those data consumers and your devs, and finally deletion may involve your assistance with orchestration tools to go and pick EU Citizen Jesus H Christ's data out of backups or ensure any recovery process includes a subsequent removal of Christ's data in live systems.

Don't let the entire business make this an IT problem.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I mean let them make it an IT problem.

"We have too much customer data, fix it!"

rm -rf *

"Fixed."

NevergirlsOFFICIAL
Apr 24, 2004

I just block all EU IPs from accessing my website :rollsafe:

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Digital_Jesus posted:

I mean let them make it an IT problem.

"We have too much customer data, fix it!"

rm -rf *

"Fixed."

rip your home dir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Jeoh posted:

apc smartups 1500VA should be plenty tbh unless your server is actually a furnace

Yeah, this is our go-to option for remote sites, although it's not cheap with the network card.

«43 »