Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«67 »
NevergirlsOFFICIAL
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't envy anybody who has to support the combination of the Outlook client with Gmail.

hahaa I did an audit somewhere like that once.

The IT director: "we want to switch to Office 365, everyone hates gmail."
The marketing director: "No, everyone hates Outlook!"
Everyone: doesn't know why they hate everything, secretly start using slack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

stevewm posted:

Agreed.

But I also much prefer the Gmail interface. I am a bit biased though. We have been using Gsuite since it was invite only and called "Gmail for Work".

My company is still on the legacy "50 free users account" for Gmail for Work

stevewm
May 10, 2005

BonoMan posted:

My company is still on the legacy "50 free users account" for Gmail for Work

You poor soul.

We dealt with this for years. We were early enough to that program we had 100 users free. We outgrew that a couple years ago though.

You gain a lot more flexibility moving to a paid account, particularly the administrative backend. I think some of the newer features also haven't been rolled out to legacy free accounts either.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless You Ants, Blants

Fun Shoe

Anything below G Suite Business isn't worth bothering with - no centralised file storage? No thanks, not looking after some mess of individual users sharing files out their personal Google Drives.

Gabriel S.
May 20, 2006

I WILL KEEP IMMIGRANT CHILDREN IN A LOCKBOX, AND THAT PAYS DOWN THE NATIONAL DEBT.

Put this Nazi Scientist fuck on ignore immediately!

I'm pretty shocked the Google doesn't have a SharePoint or OneNote Competitor.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless You Ants, Blants

Fun Shoe

It's taken them until now to introduce the concept of folder sharing within Shared Drives, and it's still in beta. Before that they were trying to push everybody to create a drive for every group of people that need to work on something, which might be the best way to do things, but it ignores how people work already and at some point you just have to give people the features they are asking for, rather than being a huge puritan about how your way is best. Making a Shared Drive to work on a specific project and then sharing one folder inside that with a third party producing banner artwork or whatever for you just wasn't a workflow that Google saw as legitimate - their way to solve it was to create another Shared Drive called "Project X Banner Artwork" and now instead of everything relating to one project being in one place, it's in two places.

Google make some really dumb decisions sometimes, and then double-down on them way past the point that most people would find reasonable.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Thanks Ants posted:

Anything below G Suite Business isn't worth bothering with - no centralised file storage? No thanks, not looking after some mess of individual users sharing files out their personal Google Drives.

It's still G Suite Business sort of. Just an old rear end legacy version that's missing lots of stuff as stevewm mentions. But there's centralized storage and stuff. It's not personal accounts

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Gabriel S. posted:

I'm pretty shocked the Google doesn't have a SharePoint or OneNote Competitor.

I'm shocked they haven't already given up on two competing versions of each.

Gabriel S.
May 20, 2006

I WILL KEEP IMMIGRANT CHILDREN IN A LOCKBOX, AND THAT PAYS DOWN THE NATIONAL DEBT.

Put this Nazi Scientist fuck on ignore immediately!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I'm shocked they haven't already given up on two competing versions of each.

Keep doesn't even get close to OneNote.

NevergirlsOFFICIAL
Apr 24, 2004

I do love onenote

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN
Jun 1, 2003

If we vanished tomorrow, no organism on this planet would miss us.
Nothing in nature needs us.

Buglord

How are y'all doing big file collaboration now that everyone's working from home?

We have SharePoint+OneDrive for basic file storage and Office documents and stuff, but for big files (e.g. graphics department stuff) the options are either 1) sync to SharePoint (bad) or 2) copy to file server over VPN (also bad)

What's the least bad option these days

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Something that does bit-level syncing. OneDrive recently added it, but there are some exceptions on files I believe.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Git + large file support?

E: link is github, but tons of providers support it and you could self host

https://git-lfs.github.com/

The Fool fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 28, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless You Ants, Blants

Fun Shoe

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

How are y'all doing big file collaboration now that everyone's working from home?

We have SharePoint+OneDrive for basic file storage and Office documents and stuff, but for big files (e.g. graphics department stuff) the options are either 1) sync to SharePoint (bad) or 2) copy to file server over VPN (also bad)

What's the least bad option these days

Big graphics stuff is probably going to be a decent VDI setup with GPUs and the files stored very close to the hosts. I know Adobe refuse to support anything other than a file accessed locally and a VPN is asking for things to break unless you have people copy files locally and then upload them when they are finished (they won't do this). You also have to consider how you're going to get those big files to and from your users, as most home internet plans have pretty crappy upload performance.

Related - how much of a Photoshop/Indesign file changes when people make minor edits? Does bit-level syncing help with these formats?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm banging k y head against a wall with a seemingly simple request. A law firm client wants a network location to sync one direction to SharePoint online e.g. deletions on SPO won't replicate down and delete on the network location. I'm only finding onedrive to SharePoint using power automate for this.

I suppose I could script up something but there has to be a better way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Thanks Ants posted:

Big graphics stuff is probably going to be a decent VDI setup with GPUs and the files stored very close to the hosts. I know Adobe refuse to support anything other than a file accessed locally and a VPN is asking for things to break unless you have people copy files locally and then upload them when they are finished (they won't do this). You also have to consider how you're going to get those big files to and from your users, as most home internet plans have pretty crappy upload performance.

Related - how much of a Photoshop/Indesign file changes when people make minor edits? Does bit-level syncing help with these formats?

This is the major issue WFH graphics professionals like me and my co-workers face; downloads speed are pretty okay, dl your work but then upload back? At 5Mbps average? Thank dog Australia's incoming conservative Liberal government decided to make the entire nation's fibre rollout a slack, slow, cheap and ultimately backwards installation. It went way over budget as well, which is what they shitcanned the previous govt for, when the job would have been done expensively and once, not a rolling series of patches designed to keep us playing catchup to, say, our 'simple' neighbours in New Zealand. Who's 'simple'? The Australian Liberal Party. Utter dickheads.

«67 »