Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I have this laserjet printer that sometimes just doesn't accept print jobs. Instead of troubleshooting it I'm buying another one. Is that wrong of me?

No, it's not. gently caress printers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Depends on which model. There is a printer shortage going on. You might need to make that one last longer.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

redeyes posted:

Depends on which model. There is a printer shortage going on. You might need to make that one last longer.

Eh, I’ll just have my friend carry his printer over from his dorm room.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
How are people handling domain joining laptops when everybody is working remotely now?

Like... if I lift and shift a domain controller to Azure, can I domain join laptops without needing a VPN? I'm shamefully uninformed about that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ideally you'd move to Azure AD and manage devices with Intune. If you really really need actual AD join then you can deploy an always-on VPN using Intune and then do a Hybrid Join.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Thanks Ants posted:

Ideally you'd move to Azure AD and manage devices with Intune. If you really really need actual AD join then you can deploy an always-on VPN using Intune and then do a Hybrid Join.

That's the goal I think. We're already managing devices with Intune, it's just... figuring out how to make our domain open to regular over-the-internet joining that I'm struggling with.

edit-- huh, apparently I'm just an old fogey, you don't even need a domain controller in the cloud, you can just connect directly to Azure AD.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 13, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants is pointing you in the right direction. Autopilot with Azure AD Hybrid Join. It's not super straightforward, unless you already have an Always On VPN solution. Expect to have to put some engineering resources in. To directly answer your question, no, you cannot join a domain without a VPN.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

edit-- huh, apparently I'm just an old fogey, you don't even need a domain controller in the cloud, you can just connect directly to Azure AD.

Keep in mind that plain ol' Azure AD cannot do Kerberos authentication. Joining a computer to Azure AD in the non-Hybrid way will not join it to a domain. If you only use modern apps that use SAML or equivalents, then you're good, no more domain needed for you. But if you have legacy apps that need Kerberos, then you need to look at Autopilot with Azure AD Hybrid Join.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Keep in mind that plain ol' Azure AD cannot do Kerberos authentication. Joining a computer to Azure AD in the non-Hybrid way will not join it to a domain. If you only use modern apps that use SAML or equivalents, then you're good, no more domain needed for you. But if you have legacy apps that need Kerberos, then you need to look at Autopilot with Azure AD Hybrid Join.

If you want to be galaxy brained, you could always put your onprem web-apps behind Azure web proxy.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

How are people handling domain joining laptops when everybody is working remotely now?

Like... if I lift and shift a domain controller to Azure, can I domain join laptops without needing a VPN? I'm shamefully uninformed about that.

Where I'm at right now we're full-on Azure AD and it's awesome. Take machine out of the box, sign in with my Azure AD account, and it pulls everything from InTune. Not a beautiful image like the old days but definitely good enough. No domain controllers, no VPN, just beautiful borderless clouds :yaycloud:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

redeyes posted:

Yeah you weren't kidding.... good gracious

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Apparently Lexmarks are in stock though! I could install that and immediately quit.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've always made sure to push toward leasing printers with an included service contract and removing desktop printers everywhere I go because it saves time and it really is cheaper if people commit to ditching the desktops and printing things in B&W that belong in B&W. But yeah this past year we've had to deploy a couple desktop ones and it's amazing how much time and a percentage of my workload that managing these dumb things can be.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Has anyone here actually understood ssh certificates? I'm reading about them and it seems smart, but I hit my dumb wall/no one can explain things in simple terms.

In particular, I would love if they could integrate with FreeIPA, somehow.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

bolind posted:

Has anyone here actually understood ssh certificates? I'm reading about them and it seems smart, but I hit my dumb wall/no one can explain things in simple terms.

In particular, I would love if they could integrate with FreeIPA, somehow.

I have to second this, including IPA. Last week/this weekend/Monday I had to deal with expiring certificates. My network admin was talking about doing it with me (I was going to just use Ansible to move them into place), but he never got around to buying them until the last business day. So I had to scramble to put them into place last minute. NA even the balls to ask me at 4:55 if I planned to work last weekend on a Skype call with my boss.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

IUG posted:

I have to second this, including IPA. Last week/this weekend/Monday I had to deal with expiring certificates. My network admin was talking about doing it with me (I was going to just use Ansible to move them into place), but he never got around to buying them until the last business day. So I had to scramble to put them into place last minute. NA even the balls to ask me at 4:55 if I planned to work last weekend on a Skype call with my boss.

Do you have ssh certs up and running? I can’t even understand them/make a PoC in a lab setting.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

bolind posted:

Do you have ssh certs up and running? I can’t even understand them/make a PoC in a lab setting.

I ended up with an Ansible playbook/role that put them into these places on the systems:
Centos / Redhat:
/etc/pki/ca-trust/source/anchors/
update-ca-trust

Ubuntu:
/usr/local/share/ca-certificates/
update-ca-certificate

The "update-ca-*" command makes them take effect on the systems. Our certificates were the bundles for these locations, and there was a single cert/key pair that was put in other locations for nginx, load balancers, and some of the web servers (librenms, graylog, etc).

I also have a question for this thread, but on another subject. What is a good, open source, tracker of systems' OSs and updates? My boss wants a summary of which systems are running Ubuntu 20, 18 (god help me there's a 16 in there), Centos 8/7, etc, and have it all on one page/portal. Our firewall can do it, but for a price, so that's not going to work for us.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I use Spacewalk for that but it's EOL and doesn't support any of the RHEL 8 derivatives. Will probably retire it next year, but we've been moving away from it for a while since it got EOL'd and we aren't going to pay for Satellite.

Our current process is to use an Ansible playbook that gathers host facts, dumps them into a CSV, then uses Snipe-IT's API to update any changed asset info, so we have real-time data on all our machines whenever we want. It's simple enough that we could include package/version information if we cared (we don't).

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 16, 2021

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sheep posted:

Our current process is to use an Ansible playbook that gathers host facts, dumps them into a CSV, then uses Snipe-IT's API to update any changed asset info, so we have real-time data on all our machines whenever we want. It's simple enough that we could include package/version information if we cared (we don't).

We’re using Snipe-IT too, and I would love this, but it is way beyond my skill level. Plus our Snipe system doesn’t include the instances in Openstack, VMs, etc. Hell, just the CSV would be better than the nothing we have now.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Could be a good time to broaden your skillset and learn Ansible? It's not particularly difficult to dump host facts from Ansible into a local CSV. Snipe-IT's API is pretty well documented too if you wanted to roll your own automatic updator yourself, same with OpenStack and presumably VMware. The Python3 CSV importer we use is linked off of SnipeIT's main github repository.

My rule is if I have to do the same thing more than three times a year, it gets automated. Keeping databases updated with information that is automatically generated by other systems is like 100% top of the "this should be automated" pile since there's no reason for human interaction between two computer systems (VMs/deployment/etc & asset tracking, for example).

Sheep fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 16, 2021

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ansible I'm fine with, but it's API calls I've hardly ever done. Plus the problem with not all our Ansible targets not being in Snipe-IT.

I was just looking into AWX/Ansible Tower, but it seems that they don't have a summary of Ansible Facts unfortunately. We still got to get around to installing that too...

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Found an HP printer in stock and ordered it yesterday!

Then today found out it's actually backordered! :negative:

Anyway I'm with you Rick on reducing the printer footprint. Some day....

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Manager who shouldn't be entrusted managing a hot dog stand: :argh: "X isn't working RRRRRRGH!"

Me: :) "OK, let's take a look. Can you tell me this and that?"

:argh: "You changed something!"

Dude, if your attention span isn't even sufficient to answer the two questions in a four-line email, then... :bang:

I swear he's the Hydra. Fix one problem, he comes up with three more.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

bolind posted:

Manager who shouldn't be entrusted managing a hot dog stand: :argh: "X isn't working RRRRRRGH!"

Me: :) "OK, let's take a look. Can you tell me this and that?"

:argh: "You changed something!"

Dude, if your attention span isn't even sufficient to answer the two questions in a four-line email, then... :bang:

I swear he's the Hydra. Fix one problem, he comes up with three more.

I've been working for these types of users for a few months. I tried giving them a script to fill out whenever they send the desk an email:

pre:
[---start copying here---] 

* When did you first notice the issue? 

* Is this issue preventing you from getting your work done? 

* What action are you trying to take?  

* What happens when you try to take this action? 

* What device and app are you using? 

* What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far? 

* When are you available to work on this issue? Include a few time windows for 2-3 days out (if can wait that long). Please include time zone -- we have users all over the world. 

* What is the best contact number for you? Please include direct line. 

[---stop copying here---] 
I'm in between a rock and a hard place because I have the users on one end (who were used to, until covid, having a butt in the seat every day to help them with paper jams and beyond) and this outsources service desk on the other end (not me!) and both sides struggle with communication. And believe it or not, like 5% of the time people actually use my template!!! So I'm happy I did it. If someone calls me directly I ask them the questions from the script and literally tell them I'm reading the script. Waste their time 2022, that's my motto.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

LOL to the idea of ever answering a phone for any reason whatsoever

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Need a hardware recommendation. I work in the headquarters office, but we have 3 remote offices. All of the offices complain that their internet “sucks”. So, I’ve had some folks do speed tests and we seem to be getting what we pay for, it’s just that our wireless sucks. So I would like to get some new hardware in there. All the offices have the basic wireless router from the provider.

I was thinking about getting a basic mesh network like Google/Nest Wifi however I have concerns.

1. I hate google
2. I don’t think I remotely monitor and update those networks without the app

So, is there a recommended mesh hardware I could buy for offices of ~5 employees that I can remotely administer via web interface?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you afford Meraki (and are you OK with the *insane* lead times on it right now)

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Gotta push meraki as it was a fuckin dream if you go full stack (switch, firewall\router,wifi) and never have to worry about being in person again (unless you gotta change modem hardware)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

As someone that ran a full meraki stack for a while it worked great for the core use cases, but I constantly ran up against limitations in the non-autovpn configurations to the point where I ran vms to manage the IPsec tunnels.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Main thing with Meraki was provision and set up all the devices locally before you ship them out to the remote offices to deploy. We had more than a couple of times where a switch would just bug out and hang on provisioning and the only option was to RMA the thing. Hell of a lot easier to box up and ship back a switch when it's sitting on a chair in your office than it is when you've racked it and cabled everything up on the other side of the country and you're under a deadline to get the office up and running.

Used to be able to get demo accounts & units to test things with and make sure it's all up your alley before dropping 30 thou on a full deployment, no idea if recent supply shortages have made that more difficult or not.

We ran it full stack in all our offices and it was pretty slick, sounds up dexter's alley as well.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 6, 2022

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Aruba's are perfectly fine for smaller offices if you're not all in on Meraki gear, I've deployed a ton of Aruba poo poo; easy to deploy and Just Works.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Fool posted:

As someone that ran a full meraki stack for a while it worked great for the core use cases, but I constantly ran up against limitations in the non-autovpn configurations to the point where I ran vms to manage the IPsec tunnels.

Yeah if you want VPN tunnels then use something else and put the routes into the Meraki firewall. I use a pfSense appliance for this.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thirding or whatever Meraki if you can afford it.

My backup recommendation used to be "unifi is great", and then "unifi is ok". Now I'm at "no need to switch away from unifi but also don't switch to it"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’m so mad at Meraki right now. Whatever you do do not stack their switches. I’m running beta firmware because their management plane crashes SO MUCH.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

nvrgrls posted:

Thirding or whatever Meraki if you can afford it.

My backup recommendation used to be "unifi is great", and then "unifi is ok". Now I'm at "no need to switch away from unifi but also don't switch to it"

what have you been encountering with the unifi ecosystem

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Thanks for the suggestions!

I’m worried all of this might still be overkill: We’re a nonprofit that is very basic (think O365+Zoom) so we really just need stable Wifi. Is there anything more basic?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

what have you been encountering with the unifi ecosystem

I've had a few APs shipped that were just straight up bad, some that would randomly disconnect and reconnect a few hours later... Not A LOT, but more than I'd expect for the price point and the vendor lock. Customer service has not been great (but I do love their message board/community support).

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

dexter6 posted:

Thanks for the suggestions!

I’m worried all of this might still be overkill: We’re a nonprofit that is very basic (think O365+Zoom) so we really just need stable Wifi. Is there anything more basic?

What's the rest of your network stack right now? What do you have for switches and firewall at the remote offices? And is it 3 remote offices x 5 users at each office every day?

If you want to deliver reliable Wi-Fi that you can manage remotely there aren't that many names to look at.... meraki, unifi, aerohive (I guess extreme bought them now), aruba....

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 7, 2022

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

nvrgrls posted:

what's the rest of your network stack right now? what do you have for switches and firewall at the remote offices?
No stack. Current setup in that office is AT&T u-verse router. And because that doesn’t cover the office, they bought a AT&T hotspot and put it in the front of the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

dexter6 posted:

No stack. Current setup in that office is AT&T u-verse router. And because that doesn’t cover the office, they bought a AT&T hotspot and put it in the front of the office.

If you wanted to go cheap you could get one of those tp-link extender things but if you want reliable, that ain't it. I had that at my house and it sucked.