Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Aruba Instant On could be worth a look as well

https://www.arubainstanton.com/files/AAG_AIO_SmartMesh.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

dexter6 posted:

Thanks for the suggestions!

I’m worried all of this might still be overkill: We’re a nonprofit that is very basic (think O365+Zoom) so we really just need stable Wifi. Is there anything more basic?

Aruba, seriously do Aruba. IAP-200s or IAP-300s depending on size/user count.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Meraki if you can afford it, Aruba is good too though.

I recently put a Zyxel AP in my home and they have a cheap cloud controller option. I'm happy with the hardware and web GUI, 0 complaints.

FS.com has gotten into the hardware game recently, has anyone had a chance to check out their switching or wireless? Their optics have been drat good and drat cheap for years, maybe they'll deliver some winners there

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

CloFan posted:

Meraki if you can afford it, Aruba is good too though.

I recently put a Zyxel AP in my home and they have a cheap cloud controller option. I'm happy with the hardware and web GUI, 0 complaints.

FS.com has gotten into the hardware game recently, has anyone had a chance to check out their switching or wireless? Their optics have been drat good and drat cheap for years, maybe they'll deliver some winners there

I have a client with a switch, seems fine, not really doing anything super crazy just some VLANs, POE+ etc, no routing or anything fancy.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
don't buy loving meraki

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

why not

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Has anyone had luck moving a print server or other infrastructure related server (badge swipe, etc.) to a colocation over dedicated VPN? Is that a supremely dumb idea?

We're trying to minimize our on prem server load since we're moving to a smaller office later this year, so I'm just brainstorming.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Print server you can do as long as you enable branch office remote printing and the network supports it.

Door entry I would check that it’s supported by the vendor and that the door controllers can cache things in case the VPN drops.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Has anyone had luck moving a print server or other infrastructure related server (badge swipe, etc.) to a colocation over dedicated VPN? Is that a supremely dumb idea?

Go with a security\alarm service for your door\badges that is cloud based. They'll usually do landline\4G or dual 4G cell services to keep them highly available.

Nothing wrong with deploying a ESXI box with an domain controller, print server, VM on like a R240 wall mount in this , but if you do over vpn always make sure you got a primarty and secondary on lock.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Thanks Ants posted:

Print server you can do as long as you enable branch office remote printing and the network supports it.

Door entry I would check that it’s supported by the vendor and that the door controllers can cache things in case the VPN drops.

To echo part of this - a lot of physical security stuff (door entry, cameras, etc) was written last century and relies heavily on broadcast to do anything, so it's not going to play over VPN.
I'm in favor for small, cheap on site servers for apps with minimal load, like security and print servers.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

We're trying to minimize our on prem server load since we're moving to a smaller office later this year, so I'm just brainstorming.

In small enough offices I straight up would have users connect directly to the printers without print server.

In some other environments were no-server is the goal, look at printix and printercloud as a printer server alternative.

I'd be kind of nervous about moving badge swipe off prem

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

incoherent posted:

Nothing wrong with deploying a ESXI box

Amen. Always good to have something local-local. You can get an hpe proliant microserver properly configured for under 3k that can run DC, print, workstation images, and of course the corporate plex media server.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The only problem I have with deploying a local server is now you need to have "what do I do when this thing fails" sorted out.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Silly Newbie posted:

I'm in favor for small, cheap on site servers for apps with minimal load, like security and print servers.

I'm curious what hardware everyone is using for these kinds of roles, where you don't really need any real horsepower but you need a reliable and supportable server physically on site.

We use a lot of Supermicro E200-9Bs because they're basically the smallest and one of the cheapest servers I've been able to find that has a proper BMC with full remote KVM+media support. Two of them can fit in 1U, low power consumption, and all the ports I've ever needed out of an "appliance server".

The bang for the buck is a bit rough though, even though I don't need anything more it still does hurt to pay $500 for a system with a CPU that was bottom of the barrel in 2015. I would love to see something like a modern NUC but with a BMC from a major vendor.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A single local server also puts you into the world of CALs unless it's something that will happily run on a client version of Windows (which most badge swipe stuff will). Add up the TCO and see if it buys you a backup internet connection for that period of time to keep your VPNs up.

wolrah posted:

The bang for the buck is a bit rough though, even though I don't need anything more it still does hurt to pay $500 for a system with a CPU that was bottom of the barrel in 2015. I would love to see something like a modern NUC but with a BMC from a major vendor.

The Dell Precision 3240 Compact can be specced with vPro

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 10, 2022

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

wolrah posted:

I'm curious what hardware everyone is using for these kinds of roles, where you don't really need any real horsepower but you need a reliable and supportable server physically on site.

We use a lot of Supermicro E200-9Bs because they're basically the smallest and one of the cheapest servers I've been able to find that has a proper BMC with full remote KVM+media support. Two of them can fit in 1U, low power consumption, and all the ports I've ever needed out of an "appliance server".

We use Dell Optiplex 7070 Micros for this (print servers, etc). Includes Intel AMT for OOB management.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I've done printing for a 70 person office over a VPN running on a 500Mb connection. It was fine.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

The only problem I have with deploying a local server is now you need to have "what do I do when this thing fails" sorted out.

Well it has to be services that are in the "nice to have" category... Like if your print server fails and you don't have some backup way for the users to print / if printing is super critical to your office then this ain't for you. But if it's like a 20 person office where you can push or give them the instructions to connect directly to the printer as a workaround then it's fine.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

It occurs to me I should be very thankful that most of my clients these days consider printing to not be essentials, after 2 years of WFH.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

"Suddenly take a week of vacation time you banked" is not always the answer, but sometimes it can be.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

The Dell Precision 3240 Compact can be specced with vPro

Sheep posted:

We use Dell Optiplex 7070 Micros for this (print servers, etc). Includes Intel AMT for OOB management.

How does AMT/vPro compare with a full server BMC when it comes to hardware failures? I've never actually had a chance to mess with it but it seems like it still depends on the main system CPU, RAM, NIC, and firmware ROM. Something like an iDRAC or the ASpeed in the Supermicros being a truly standalone computer has its appeal because I can run a memtest remotely without having the remote management depend on that same memory. The rest doesn't really worry me as much.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
AMT under the hood is communicating with Intel Management Engine which AFAIK is just Intel running a custom Minix setup on separate hardware inside the chassis, so in theory it should all be remotely manageable even in case of hardware failure, but not something I've ever messed with. It does appear to support VNC access to KVM, BIOS, etc. from 15 minutes of Googling at the documentation.

In our case we don't make use of it for a variety of reasons, but it does look like any other BMC you'd run across.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 11, 2022

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sheep posted:

AMT under the hood is communicating with Intel Management Engine which AFAIK is just Intel running a custom Minix setup on separate hardware inside the chassis, so in theory it should all be remotely manageable even in case of hardware failure, but not something I've ever messed with. It does appear to support VNC access to KVM, BIOS, etc. from 15 minutes of Googling at the documentation.

In our case we don't make use of it for a variety of reasons, but it does look like any other BMC you'd run across.
What I mean is that from what I can find AMT uses system RAM rather than having its own dedicated RAM, so a memory problem with the host would also affect remote management. That seems like a major weakness when probably 1/4 of my hardware failures are RAM.

AMT also doesn't seem to support having a dedicated NIC for management independent of the main system which matters in a few environments. Not the biggest deal for most of my use cases but there would be a couple where that would be a no-go.

I still have no idea why no one sells a standalone BMC as an add-in card. Obviously it couldn't be as deeply integrated with the system as one designed in from the beginning but it still should be possible to have a card that looks to a host system like a GPU and has a few internal header connections to connect some virtual USB devices and operate power/reset remotely.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Getting severely out of my depth but I think an add-in BMC-esque card on the PCIe bus would have at least two issues: obviously it's all bottlenecked by the PCI bridge so a failure there would cut it off from everything else, and for remote power cycling, PS_ON# is part of the 24-pin main power connector so I can't think of a great* way to handle that.

The two really easy things though seem like they'd be KVM access and virtual storage devices. Aside from power control most of the functionality seems doable though.

* You could tap it with a custom connector but yikes.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 12, 2022

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sheep posted:

Getting severely out of my depth but I think an add-in BMC-esque card on the PCIe bus would have at least two issues: obviously it's all bottlenecked by the PCI bridge so a failure there would cut it off from everything else, and for remote power cycling, PS_ON# is part of the 24-pin main power connector so I can't think of a great* way to handle that.

The two really easy things though seem like they'd be KVM access and virtual storage devices. Aside from power control most of the functionality seems doable though.

* You could tap it with a custom connector but yikes.

A BMC normally connects primarily over the PCIe bus anyways, so there's no change there, and power/reset control could be implemented by simply connecting to the same headers the physical buttons would use. No need to tap any actual power lines, just make the motherboard think someone actually pressed the button.

The only thing you'd be missing at that point would be access to temperature sensors, fan speeds, etc. The deeper hardware integration aspects. The core KVM/remote media/remote power functions should be just as easily implemented as an add-in card as they are an onboard solution.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm trying to test Prometheus and Grafana, as a way to A. consolidate OS stats B. replace LibreNMS as our monitor and alerting tool.

What I can't really tell from the documentation is how I should construct this environment. Do I install Prometheus on every node in our infrastructure, or just the exporter? Does the "monitor" system use Prometheus to grab from all those exporters, or do I have Grafana add each node's Grafana server as a Data Source? Or is it just one Prometheus server getting all the exporter information and passing that one Prometheus server as a single Data Source?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You'd have just an exporter on the target nodes. If you have it at all, I mostly have apps that expose their metrics in Prometheus format. Then a central instance of Prometheus to scrape those exporters/endpoints.
I do have multiple instances of Prometheus, each with their own areas of responsibility.this gets tricky when I want to correlate metrics on different instances, but I make do.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

IUG posted:

I'm trying to test Prometheus and Grafana, as a way to A. consolidate OS stats B. replace LibreNMS as our monitor and alerting tool.

What I can't really tell from the documentation is how I should construct this environment. Do I install Prometheus on every node in our infrastructure, or just the exporter? Does the "monitor" system use Prometheus to grab from all those exporters, or do I have Grafana add each node's Grafana server as a Data Source? Or is it just one Prometheus server getting all the exporter information and passing that one Prometheus server as a single Data Source?

Grafana is mainly nicer visualisations of the data; Prometheus can also display time series. Focus on getting Prometheus up and running first, then visualise it with Grafana.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Late to the party, but yeah for a small office I'd deploy printers without an interstitial print server

with respect to physical access controls, if you're thinking about pushing that off site with a vpn, make absolutely God drat sure that configuration is not only technically supported by the vendor, but WELL supported by the vendor. THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 16, 2022

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone else have domains with Enom? They’re doing a “data center migration” and now our domain doesn’t resolve. At all. Even the MX.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Sounds like you’re about to have a different DNS provider!

No seriously that is unacceptable, move it to azure dns or route53, the cost is negligible for what SLA they provide.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

devmd01 posted:

No seriously that is unacceptable, move it to azure dns or route53, the cost is negligible for what SLA they provide.

Even free tier cloudflare.

I used enom for a couple of years one place and it sucked the couple of times I had to touch it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

devmd01 posted:

I will, when I can log into my portal and configure things!

nvrgrls posted:

Even free tier cloudflare.

I used enom for a couple of years one place and it sucked the couple of times I had to touch it.

We've used it for a decade without problems, but days of downtime is not acceptable.

Thanks for the name drops, both of you, I'll investigate when the dust settles.

Edit: The irony. When I set up peoples' VPN, I debated whether to use FQDN or IP for the endpoints. I concluded that us having an IP change was more likely than DNS not working...

bolind fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 17, 2022

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Today, our servers lost contact with our main storage node.

Because I had been migrating the DHCP server.

And said storage node pulled an IP (fixed via MAC) from the DHCP server.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:gonk:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The DNS entry was, naturally, fixed.

Edit: and our two other storage nodes were configured as one would expect.

bolind fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 21, 2022

mewse
May 2, 2006

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Isn't IP reservations from DHCP the thing to do nowadays and not just manually set static IP's on poo poo?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Yes, until the gear is more important than the DHCP server (like your SAN/NAS box generally is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
DHCP is for having more clients (that come and go) than IPs, or for ease of setup.

We have (MAC reserved) DHCP entries for boilerplate stuff (compute nodes, workstations), but we only use it to establish identity upon install, then fix that IP for the life cycle of the installation.