Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
We're ordering a bunch of Aruba switches for a core stack replacement and the delivery date is 28 weeks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have some Meraki stuff where the date is December. WAPs and MS390s.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm gonna need some switches in April 2023 so I should probably order them.... now. ugh.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:suicide:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our Meraki rep told us if we moved from MS390s to MS355's we could get switches in weeks instead of months.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

So after years in MSP Land I'm back in house... And I need something to track inventory. Our MSP has Automate and ITGlue but I want something separate. What should I use? I'd really like something where I can put in the serials and it will barf out when my warranties are up, or that hooks in to Endpoint Manager and sucks stuff out of there.

What I need to track: laptops (all remote), desktops, mobile devices (all remote), network hardware. No servers, bless.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Does anyone have any experience with migrating domains in Microsoft 365?

My 60 employee company just bought a new domain and I’ve set it up successfully, but all users still have the old domain as their login and email.

In an ideal world, I could allow existing users to log in with either email address and have both emails deliver while I’m creating all new users on only the new domain.

Is there an easy way to do this migration?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Go into the admin center. Highlight everyone. Click “change domain.” It will keep the old alias. Notify people that their login/primary email are changing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

nvrgrls posted:

So after years in MSP Land I'm back in house... And I need something to track inventory. Our MSP has Automate and ITGlue but I want something separate. What should I use? I'd really like something where I can put in the serials and it will barf out when my warranties are up, or that hooks in to Endpoint Manager and sucks stuff out of there.

What I need to track: laptops (all remote), desktops, mobile devices (all remote), network hardware. No servers, bless.

Free and not that great is Snipe-IT.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Snipe-IT is fine and way better than a raft of pay products.

also a hilarious follow on twitter

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Snipe-IT is pretty good for the price (free). There are absolutely flaws and bug fixes can be hit or miss, but it does get the job done if you can make it fit your needs.

The API documentation is really good too.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I would like to bench test a SM fiber link, can I just get an OS2 patch cable and use that? I read some horror storries about tranceivers burning out due to not enough attenuation in a short patch cable, but then others said that as long as TX power < max permitted RX power everything should be fine.

Halp I've never messed with anything more sophisticated than SPDIF.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're fine until you start putting the 80km optics through 2m of cable. Attenuators aren't expensive though:

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/88058.html

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Cool, thanks, ordered the 15dB one.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

You're fine until you start putting the 80km optics through 2m of cable. Attenuators aren't expensive though:

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/88058.html

Oh, that's cool. I'll poke my team lead tomorrow and recommend we order a couple of those for each of our field kits.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Will take a look at snipe-IT thanks everybody!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

So we're building a new office from scratch.

What should I make sure to include on my wish list? Here's what I got so far
  • 2 cat6 runs to each workspace LABELED all terminating to lan room
  • one full rack for IT stuff (I won't need a full rack, all in cloud, but just in case)
  • dedicated hvac for server room
  • power and data outlets in floor for conf rooms
  • Data outlets in ceiling for wet-rear end points
It's been like 7 years since I've done this.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

bolind posted:

Cool, thanks, ordered the 15dB one.

OK, dumbass me thought it was a duplex cable, it isn't. Make sure to order two.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

nvrgrls posted:

• one full rack for IT stuff (I won't need a full rack, all in cloud, but just in case)

Do consider cable run lengths vs. your current or future needs for 10Gbit vs. cost vs. Cat6a.

Think rack layout so you can keep patch cables short.

Think 2.5/5.0 Gbit standard when you buy networking equipment.

Consider whether you want a full depth rack so you can fit a real server.

Watch your electricians as a hawk as they will ignore any instructions, no matter how detailed, and just wing it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

bolind posted:

Watch your electricians as a hawk as they will ignore any instructions, no matter how detailed, and just wing it.

I use a dedicated data cabling guy because I don't trust electricians to run ethernet

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Yeah we have a separate data cable guy

Thank you!!!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Do you want a generator and/or a big UPS for power?

Do the conference rooms need projectors or TV? You may need power in the walls. Do they want video conferencing?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
We had three big TVs mounted on a wall of the main work space with cabling running back to PCs in our racks. I could RDP into thrm and put up dashboards, pretty monitoring applications or just streaming “the game” whenever relevant.

I loved having these setups at my disposal and executives love it too. “Cool! Our office looks so modern and high tech!”

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

If you're a small/mid sized company, welcome to a new form of pain/pressure unless you've got a great project manager. Stock up on aspirin! A couple of tips:

Conference rooms are their own beast - get the highest ranked exec to tell you want they want to see/do in there (Dual screens/etc). If they want a control system that's beyond a zoom room ipad controller (like for lights/content switching), then contract the entire room setup out to AV professionals. You end up with power and ethernet in the weirdest of places if the room is of any larger size. It'll be $50k+, but that's someone else's problem/budget then. You think you might be able to do it, but it's not worth it.

You're specing 2x drops per desk, but this day in age, expect to drop it to 1x drop and use that budget savings for something else. Soft phones and wifi are the new kings sadly.

And watch out for lead times on gear. The 48 port switches and hard phones you want basically don't exist any more (or have 3+mo lead times) - governments are now exercising "critical infrastructure" rules to bump everyone down. Expect different/weird or used gear if you can't deal with that.

Make sure you constantly view the build plans/drawings for the space, as that's what the construction people use. If it's not on there, it's not being done, and wasn't quoted by them. You'll find someone in accounting starts stripping things from it without checking with you if it's essential.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nvrgrls posted:

Get all the connectivity requirements for BMS systems, elevators, door entry etc. off the contractors in advance so you aren't being asked to provide switch ports for them on the morning they turn up to install.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I remember from this thread or one of the other IT threads that someone made a script or just a setup using windows setting to monitor against Ransomware locking out files. I think it shut things down to stop the spread. Can someone point me to that? Is that still a valid solution?

The place I am working now doesn't want to pay for a NOC monitoring type thing so I am trying to find a solution that will keep things safe. Also is there any cheap/free monitoring setups that I can implement to alert me of anything happening in real time via Text? If not via text just some sort of monitoring that I can display on a monitor or tv might be better than nothing.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Trastion posted:

I remember from this thread or one of the other IT threads that someone made a script or just a setup using windows setting to monitor against Ransomware locking out files. I think it shut things down to stop the spread. Can someone point me to that? Is that still a valid solution?

The place I am working now doesn't want to pay for a NOC monitoring type thing so I am trying to find a solution that will keep things safe. Also is there any cheap/free monitoring setups that I can implement to alert me of anything happening in real time via Text? If not via text just some sort of monitoring that I can display on a monitor or tv might be better than nothing.

I think it was Cryptoblocker: https://github.com/nexxai/CryptoBlocker

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
We have a new office we're moving into later this year that has a bunch of "hotel" desks where anyone can sit there, but we want to have some way of signing up for those desks. Is there a good cheap/free solution short of just throwing a bunch of Outlook resources out there, since that'd be kind of clunky for 20-ish spots.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Count Thrashula posted:

We have a new office we're moving into later this year that has a bunch of "hotel" desks where anyone can sit there, but we want to have some way of signing up for those desks. Is there a good cheap/free solution short of just throwing a bunch of Outlook resources out there, since that'd be kind of clunky for 20-ish spots.

That's what we ended up doing. Office resource for every single hotel desk.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can use Teams Displays to do this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/get-started-with-hot-desking-on-teams-displays-27f95e8a-e09f-4aee-ba3c-ca9940eb28a8

But it doesn't tick the cheap/free requirement. Room resources are pretty much the way to do this so there's not much point fighting it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Thanks, I think that might have been it but it looks like it was last updated in 2018 so not sure if this is still a valid solution. Guess I will keep looking for something better.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

nvrgrls posted:

These may sound stupid but ...
[*] Make sure your server room/IT rack is on seperate breakers than the rest of the building (don't ask me how I know)
[*] Make sure every desk has enough power outlets near so you don't get extension cords mayhem from day 1
[*] For meeting/conference rooms, have power and network somewhere centrally so long meetings don't become a tripping hazard
[*] Check your network cables before they get put somewhere hard to reach; construction people tend to be a bit lackadaisical with them (don't ask me how I know)

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I would like to contract with a company to provide tech support for my company. While I can handle most of it, some things are getting backed up and when I am on PTO we have no one else in the company to do it.

Any suggestions of companies I should check out?

We are a small non-profit with 60 employees, but are also looking to possibly provide support for another hundred-or-so students we work with.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

dexter6 posted:

I would like to contract with a company to provide tech support for my company. While I can handle most of it, some things are getting backed up and when I am on PTO we have no one else in the company to do it.

We are a small non-profit with 60 employees, but are also looking to possibly provide support for another hundred-or-so students we work with.

You're looking for something called a Managed Service Provider, or MSP. They will charge you a flat rate either per device or per user. Larger projects may be additional billing. Frankly, it's not the greatest industry, but if that's what you need then that's what you need.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
You can sometimes get MSP to just bill you per hour at-need or sell you a certain number of hours in a package rather than a contract which may not be very cost effective since they're usually pretty expensive.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

dexter6 posted:

I have a ton to say about selecting MSP having worked for them and having them worked for me for my entire career. My biggest advice is find someone LOCAL in other words, can get a tech to your site same day. There are many other considerations but that's huge especially if you're a dept of one which is what it sounds like.

I'll add one more thing: most MSPs that work with companies your size are used to replacing entire IT departments. They won't like working with someone technical who can call them out on their bullshit when they send a tech that doesn't know what they're talking about. So be prepared for some "vendor management".

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 11, 2022

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Tips on moving a bunch of 27" LCD monitors?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
rent a truck from home depot

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Thanks for all the replies about MSPs.

Can you give me recommendations if a few to look at? Or at least to avoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's quite regional really, you wouldn't want to try and find an MSP that operates nationwide for 60 users as they will be crazy money.

If you're happy for someone to operate remotely then Lawrence Systems post lots of YouTube videos and they seem quite competent rather than just fanboying over specific product ranges https://lawrencesystems.com/co-managed-it/