Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

dexter6 posted:

Thanks for all the replies about MSPs.

Can you give me recommendations if a few to look at? Or at least to avoid?

May also be worth asking around in your professional network to see what other folks are using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a local business group that you can talk to?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

dexter6 posted:

if your metro area is DC, Chicago, or Tampa, I can give you recommendations in PM.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

But I'll say publicly because gently caress it: avoid red river

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

nvrgrls posted:

But I'll say publicly because gently caress it: avoid red river

Huh. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Mileage may vary, I guess.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Albinator posted:

Huh. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Mileage may vary, I guess.

It might be our size. I was with a 50-person org and we were 100% at the bottom of the priority list all the time, and it showed. I found out later their sweet spot was more the 250-500 seat clients (at least that's what one of the account execs told me).

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
There's been a big consolidation movement in the MSP space lately. Big players previously not in the space are buying up small shops and exploiting economy of scale to get a unified national presence. Sharp is one, quality varies on the market.
https://www.sharp-sbs.com/Managed-Services/Managed-IT-Services

As a previous poster said, quality varies A LOT by market. I'd personally advise against small locals who were a computer fix it shop 10 years ago and lateraled into the MSP market when remote connectivity made it possible, as they tend to be a poo poo show, but some are gold.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Get references from their similarly-sized clients also.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Silly Newbie posted:

There's been a big consolidation movement in the MSP space lately. Big players previously not in the space are buying up small shops and exploiting economy of scale to get a unified national presence. Sharp is one, quality varies on the market.
https://www.sharp-sbs.com/Managed-Services/Managed-IT-Services

As a previous poster said, quality varies A LOT by market. I'd personally advise against small locals who were a computer fix it shop 10 years ago and lateraled into the MSP market when remote connectivity made it possible, as they tend to be a poo poo show, but some are gold.

Hey I just left Sharp after they purchased our MSP out of chicagoland like 2 years ago. They aren't too bad, but yeah it really depends on the area. Our "branch" was basically covering a ton of other ones because we actually had good engineers and our helpdesk was pretty good as far as outsourced helpdesk goes. Sadly, the Chicago branch is falling apart, they've lost 4 engineers including me, a bunch of senior HD folks and the engineering manager just left.

Their california branches are pretty good, I did some travel with some of their folks and the manager there was a smart and driven dude, so they're prospering out west from what I can tell.

dexter6 posted:

Avoid Impact Networking, they're loving scum, we had a senior sales guy come in a few months before I left Sharp and he had some loving stories about that place.

If you're chicago/north midwest I can give some reqs as well.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

MF_James posted:

Hey I just left Sharp after they purchased our MSP out of chicagoland like 2 years ago. They aren't too bad, but yeah it really depends on the area. Our "branch" was basically covering a ton of other ones because we actually had good engineers and our helpdesk was pretty good as far as outsourced helpdesk goes. Sadly, the Chicago branch is falling apart, they've lost 4 engineers including me, a bunch of senior HD folks and the engineering manager just left.

Their california branches are pretty good, I did some travel with some of their folks and the manager there was a smart and driven dude, so they're prospering out west from what I can tell.

Avoid Impact Networking, they're loving scum, we had a senior sales guy come in a few months before I left Sharp and he had some loving stories about that place.

If you're chicago/north midwest I can give some reqs as well.

Man we've been over this, we just forget each other's usernames. I'm still using Sharp for running backups, they're fine for that.
The MSP we worked at before that is getting a little thin for talent too.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Silly Newbie posted:

Man we've been over this, we just forget each other's usernames. I'm still using Sharp for running backups, they're fine for that.
The MSP we worked at before that is getting a little thin for talent too.

haha I was pretty hungover while posting, but yeah your UN just does not stick with me for some reason.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Is it really not possible to obtain my office’s public IP address from the Xirrus portal?

My other office I was able to log into Ubiquiti and Meraki and see it displayed but Xirrus is hiding it from me.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

dexter6 posted:

Is it really not possible to obtain my office’s public IP address from the Xirrus portal?

My other office I was able to log into Ubiquiti and Meraki and see it displayed but Xirrus is hiding it from me.

Cant you just go to any whats my ip website? Or google that phrase?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

Cant you just go to any whats my ip website? Or google that phrase?
the office is across the country and no one will be in the office for a little while. Was just hoping to get this task done today but will wait for that.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you run some sort of ping test from a managed AP? Ping something you manage and capture the packets.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Can you run some sort of ping test from a managed AP? Ping something you manage and capture the packets.
possibly? The only way I can manage the two APs is through the Cirrus portal and it just shows their local IPs

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think you can, so ping an endpoint that you are in control of and see where the ICMP packets came from.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I think you can, so ping an endpoint that you are in control of and see where the ICMP packets came from.
Oh I see what you mean. I have no endpoints behind the APs. I’ll just wait for someone to be in the office.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It doesn't need to be behind the AP - just something on the public Internet that you have access to. Ping the WAN IP of your office and packet capture your firewall and you'll get the public IP of the other site.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
What is everyone’s minimum processor speed/model and minimum amount of RAM you purchase for the most basic of users (think: Windows + Office + Zoom)?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

dexter6 posted:

What is everyone’s minimum processor speed/model and minimum amount of RAM you purchase for the most basic of users (think: Windows + Office + Zoom)?

I usually aim for i3's with 8 GB of ram and a 256 ssd for base minimum.

edit: I have no idea how that stacks up against the rest of the world.

Comfortador fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 27, 2022

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

dexter6 posted:

Our standard desktops and laptop 256 gig ssd, i5 or amd, 16 gigs standard

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

GreenNight posted:

Our standard desktops and laptop 256 gig ssd, i5 or amd, 16 gigs standard

Same, Windows loves all the RAM it can get.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

16GB with M1 Pro chip :smug:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i5, 16GB, 512GB SSD

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I5 11th gen or better, 16GB, 256+ nvme.
The office suite in particular needs at least 16GB RAM to not run like poo poo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I mean we run Office on Core Duo with 4 gigs of ram. If all they need is Outlook and a simple spreadsheet, it's fine.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

i5, 16GB, 512GB SSD

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I once again approach the fountain of knowledge.

Where does one get a legit license for Win10 Enterprise LTSC 2021?

A municipality has PLCs at a water station running Rockwell poo poo that ought not ever get rebooted.

100% no network after install except for the closed SCADA stuff. They want it to not do the Update restart every month, six month, etc.

The PC will be effectively an appliance. Set up one day and ideally never touched again and just runs and runs.

I know some of you have this going with scientific instruments, MRIs, and such.

I have never had experience with licensing Enterprise.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

IDK how many small shops have those requirements... There is a Windows Enterprise thread though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3327309

That thread has the distinction of having the most correct subject line in this entire subforum.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Enterprise is a volume license thing so you'll need to talk to someone like CDW and get an agreement

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Or TechSoup if you are non profit.

Microsoft donates enterprise licenses to us through them and I just ignore them for pro because, I got no loving clue and don’t feel like getting one.

Speaking of donations, I am going to try and convince the org to finally move on from Office 2013 to the 365 suite even though it costs (a little with non-profit prices) money. We were stuck on 2013 due to some legacy apps before I was hired until late last year. I hope the answer isn’t “okay use all the 2016 licenses first “ because there are 100 of them in a company of 74 people.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Has anyone ever setup AAD Connect with a tenant that already has MFA enabled? I've done a few existing tenant AAD Connect setups but never when they've had MFA enabled and I'm just wondering if that's going to cause any weird poo poo with app passwords and such. Been having trouble finding info via google.

I mean, I'm leaning towards it will be fine but just figured I'd throw it out there.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 28, 2022

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

MF_James posted:

Has anyone ever setup AAD Connect with a tenant that already has MFA enabled? I've done a few existing tenant AAD Connect setups but never when they've had MFA enabled and I'm just wondering if that's going to cause any weird poo poo with app passwords and such. Been having trouble finding info via google.

I mean, I'm leaning towards it will be fine but just figured I'd throw it out there.

You mean you have users right now logging in with MFA directly to M365 cloud accounts, and then you separately have on-prem AD with the same accounts, and you want to mash the two together? Yeah MFA will not impact that, go hog wild.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
nvrgrls, Thanks Ants, thank you for the help. I'll contact CDW (CDW-G ? maybe) and look at that thread.

Appreciated!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I seem to have spoke terror into the world, for some reason our RDS Outlook 2013 clients as of the last server update will not do modern auth. I can enable it for me, myself, by running a tool they have out to fix this, but it seems to only update it for me, rather than all users. I'm totally going to have to do a remote session with each user to do this it seems. gently caress.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You could do that, but you've only got about 9 months of support left for Office 2013 anyway so it seems like misplaced effort

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

You could do that, but you've only got about 9 months of support left for Office 2013 anyway so it seems like misplaced effort

Even if I convinced the bosses to pay for 365 today they would still make me do this since it would take a month to get the funding approved. I’m just hoping when we roll out front line staff with modern office this month it is enough for them to see it’s not the boogeyman they think and worth a nominal monthly fee.

Luckily the registry edit seems to have worked.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

bolind posted:

Today, our servers lost contact with our main storage node.

Because I had been migrating the DHCP server.

And said storage node pulled an IP (fixed via MAC) from the DHCP server.

Did we, a) fix this properly before a high-stress office/server room move or b) kick the can down the road and got bit by this again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I moved up to 500GB SSD minimum ever since my users began testing the theoretical limits of .pst file sizes (incidentally, it's 50GB):

I generally just use 365 for email hosting for clients since it keeps everything in one place and everyone uses Outlook, but is there somewhere else I should be looking?