Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

wolrah posted:

IMO the fact that Outlook sucks with Gmail is just one more reason to avoid Outlook, not a reason to switch to 365. The worst users I have to deal with are the ones who refuse to learn anything other than Outlook.
I totally agree - but if someone comes to me insisting they use Outlook because it's all they know, and all they want to know, then I'd rather fulfil that need with a move to Office 365 then trying to get the Gmail connector working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wolrah posted:

I completely agree about the admin tools, but it amazes me to see so many people in this thread speaking of Outlook as if it's a good thing instead of a fragile, overgrown pile of poo poo.

IMO the fact that Outlook sucks with Gmail is just one more reason to avoid Outlook, not a reason to switch to 365. The worst users I have to deal with are the ones who refuse to learn anything other than Outlook.

I cried tears of joy the day we left local mail clients behind.

We had 2 new employees that came from a large corporate environment. One of them almost had a panic attack when they didn't see Outlook on their desktop. I literally had to calm her down and explain that yes, you can get emails via routes other than Outlook. She had a hard time grasping it. When 100% of the company is using Gmail, we are not going to satisfy one snowflake's request.

Most of our former Outlook lovers (who are also prolific email hoarders) preferred Gmail once they saw they could hoard all they want without crashing it. Of course we never had Exchange; we went straight from ISP provided POP3 email to Gsuite with our own domain. (or Gmail for Work as it was then called)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

wolrah posted:

I completely agree about the admin tools, but it amazes me to see so many people in this thread speaking of Outlook as if it's a good thing instead of a fragile, overgrown pile of poo poo.

Outlook sucks with anything that isn't Exchange.

O365 webmail is actually good as well.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Amphetamine-addled post to follow, please excuse the :words:

Guys, what the gently caress is a Sharepoint? I've only ever interacted with that poo poo from the furthest possible distance, and I genuinely don't know how to describe what it's supposed to be capable of. But somebody in my shop was on a holding position where they were doing Sharepoint work to come up with some kind of back-office Grand Unified Information Repository, and it looks like they're going to be flying away to their permanent position without really finishing the thing. It was kind of a pet project for a C-Level that I'm tight with and I get the sense that it could solve some problems in my neck of the org, so I'm wondering if I should put out some feelers to see if it's in a state I could personally salvage or if I should just keep my loving mouth shut and continue to avoid being a Sharepoint Guy.

Some specifics: One of the things I do here is participate in recruiting (we fill contracted tech positions at client sites, so I talk shop/interpret needs/etc), and as a result, I own the tools used by recruiting and HR. For the former we use CATS ("cloud applicant tracking system"), which I'm perfectly happy with, and for the latter it's the barest possible minimum use of a garbage application that our HR partner provides, plus a bunch of disorganized human effort from nearly a dozen people, none of whom have complete institutional knowledge of how the process works or where all the papers are filed. Every new hire is processed in a huge email string where they pass around a plaintext checklist and never really get on the same page. Effort is duplicated, nothing is automated, and poo poo falls through the cracks. Somebody needs to touch computers at them and clean up this mess.

I really want to see this happen: The hiring manager lives in CATS and never touches anything else. They prepare all the information they are reasonably expected to collect in the pre-hire stage: Anything from the candidate's resume, and the terms of their offer of employment. CATS has workflows, so I think I can provide the hiring manager with a button that says "hire this motherfucker," sending all of that information to a Sharepoint page for HR. Ideally this would happen by making the APIs from the two systems talk to each other directly, but I could accept a solution where CATS just sends an email to a mailbox that Sharepoint is watching.

Ideally, Sharepoint would then manage the following:

-Create an authoritative file for all the employee's information, starting with whatever it got from CATS.
-Provide a registration form for the candidate to fill out (best possible scenario is one where they don't need credentials to do this), and send the link to this form this person's personal email (which at this point is already recorded). I need his SSN, pictures of his identification, poo poo like that. Add that to his file.
-When the candidate completes the form, Sharepoint sends a notification email to all the people that need to collaborate to get him settled.
-For those people, provide a page with the candidate's files, where certain sensitive information categories are only available to the specific people who need it.
-Also on that page should be a big checklist where those people can record when they've completed each of their tasks. When they do so, the date and time is also recorded. Anybody can see at a glance if anybody else has a task left uncompleted, so they can either pick up the slack or harass their colleagues until it's all done.
-It would be extremely excellent if the employee, after this point, can also log in to record his weekly activity logs and expense requests, update his information/files (with a change-log and archive of previous revisions), and get a portal to the company handbook and our insurance providers and stuff. But I don't know what kind of user license that would require in Office365. Are we going to need to pay for a user to have a whole Office suite to do this, or can I use a cheaper piecemeal option? I'm not the guy that handles IT for users in general, so I'm not boned up on the licensing structure for their programs, but I'm pretty sure everyone in the org has an Exchange email even though they don't all have a copy of Word.
-Whatever other neat things. Like, if the information dump from CATS says the original application was a result of a referral, then after 90 days from the hire date, Sharepoint could set a new task to pay a bonus to the referrer and email whoever needs to take care of that.

I'm taking this to you guys first instead of looking for a sharepoint thread because I think you'll be able to appreciate the bigger picture that I am competent and motivated to learn this stuff but that I've also got other duties, and that that this is an opportunity and a means to an end, not a passion for this particular choice of tools.

...Typing it all out is helping me iron out the plan. Would appreciate any comments.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Eikre posted:

<the path to darkness>

You could make Sharepoint do all of this.

There are standalone products that do what you want that cost $$$$$ or more.
There are also consultants that specialize in Sharepoint that will do this for you, they will charge $$$$$ - $$$$$$

You should not do this.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

The Fool posted:

You could make Sharepoint do all of this.

There are standalone products that do what you want that cost $$$$$ or more.
There are also consultants that specialize in Sharepoint that will do this for you, they will charge $$$$$ - $$$$$$

You should not do this.

But by becoming the Sharepoint Guy you will be the Sharepoint Guy now and forever, amen.

Put Sharepoint on your resume after being the Sharepoint Guy and you will get Sharepoint Jobs and no other. Leave Sharepoint off of your resume as the Sharepoint Guy and recruiters will wonder what you’ve been doing for the last X years.

Don’t be the Sharepoint Guy [unless you really love Sharepoint, I guess].

Take it from me: an almost-Sharepoint Guy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Fool posted:

Otherwise, Crashplan is one that I have used with clients at $oldJob and did not have any serious problems with. That was a few years ago though.

Crashplan is pretty decent, although I've never done a bare-metal restore.

But keep an eye on it if you're running it on laptops. Once upon a time I had to do a restore for someone whose laptop was stolen. it turns out that Crashplan had stopped backing her machine up almost a year previously. I escalated the hell out of that. A few days later one of our Crashplan touchers forwarded me an email from a Code 42 engineer.

Apparently the servers had noticed the same client GUID logging in from varying IPs within what they considered to be too narrow of a range. The Code 42 doofus even provided a table of IPs and timestamps.

I start running traceroutes. Let's see...

Comcast residential IP on the peninsula.
SFO
ATL
ZRH
A hotel near the home office

It's a laptop ! They're supposed to do that !

We weren't able to convince them that this was a Bad Idea. We also weren't able to get someone made responsible for monitoring the reports for cases like that. Well, not 'we', I was a peon and the other guy would have gotten stuck with the work, and he didn't wanna.

Yes, it happened again. Fried SSD. By the time Drive Savers sent the disk back it was completely dead.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

mllaneza posted:

it turns out that Crashplan had stopped backing her machine up almost a year previously.
[...]
We also weren't able to get someone made responsible for monitoring the reports for cases like that. Well, not 'we', I was a peon and the other guy would have gotten stuck with the work, and he didn't wanna.
No one checking alerts sounds like a problem that could have been avoided with proper administration on your end. Crashplan's reporting isn't amazing or anything but it does give you two separate options for reporting clients that aren't backing up, although it is admittedly dumb about the GUIDs.

Anyways as the saying goes, a backup you haven't tested isn't a backup at all. I used to do random restores of users from our backup provider (not Crashplan but same difference) just to make sure that the backups that were reported as completing were in fact complete.

We currently use Crashplan in our organization of ~100k and I've been using it at home for like a decade, no real complaints aside from the line I always drag up about the Windows client being artificially rate limited when I last used it ~8 years ago.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 29, 2019

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

What’s the best way to convince g suite users to move to o365

Tell finance they get excel back.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

stevewm posted:

I cried tears of joy the day we left local mail clients behind.

We had 2 new employees that came from a large corporate environment. One of them almost had a panic attack when they didn't see Outlook on their desktop. I literally had to calm her down and explain that yes, you can get emails via routes other than Outlook. She had a hard time grasping it. When 100% of the company is using Gmail, we are not going to satisfy one snowflake's request.

Most of our former Outlook lovers (who are also prolific email hoarders) preferred Gmail once they saw they could hoard all they want without crashing it. Of course we never had Exchange; we went straight from ISP provided POP3 email to Gsuite with our own domain. (or Gmail for Work as it was then called)

I like Gmail just fine except (and this is a deal breaker for me) the way it visually compartmentalizes very long email threads, which are very often in NY organization. It's just junk and it's constantly trying to hide or compress information and it makes it hard to follow in a linear path... And then, let's say in the middle of the thread you respond to just one of the multiple recipients (but the subject remains the same) it groups that conversation inline with the one with multiple recipients. Which is garbage and, given the lovely way it organizes said thread... Can lead to some bad accidental replies to the wrong people.

It's totally fine for one off emails or short conversations but that's about it.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

BonoMan posted:

I like Gmail just fine except (and this is a deal breaker for me) the way it visually compartmentalizes very long email threads, which are very often in NY organization. It's just junk and it's constantly trying to hide or compress information and it makes it hard to follow in a linear path... And then, let's say in the middle of the thread you respond to just one of the multiple recipients (but the subject remains the same) it groups that conversation inline with the one with multiple recipients. Which is garbage and, given the lovely way it organizes said thread... Can lead to some bad accidental replies to the wrong people.

It's totally fine for one off emails or short conversations but that's about it.

If Gmail 'fixed' this, I would have no complaints at all about GSuite over Office. Having to remember the chronology of emails isn't hard, but you have to apply it to Every Single Email Thread All The Time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/2019/03/threading-changes-in-gmail-conversation-view.html

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Holy Jesus yes. One step closer to turning conversation mode back on!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

nice!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sheep posted:

No one checking alerts sounds like a problem that could have been avoided with proper administration on your end. Crashplan's reporting isn't amazing or anything but it does give you two separate options for reporting clients that aren't backing up, although it is admittedly dumb about the GUIDs.

Anyways as the saying goes, a backup you haven't tested isn't a backup at all. I used to do random restores of users from our backup provider (not Crashplan but same difference) just to make sure that the backups that were reported as completing were in fact complete.

No argument that we should have had a backup administrator. Except the parent company uses Windows machines like thin clients - if the only copy was on the hard drive, not in a document repository, then that's on you. That makes it hard to allot a proper backup admin role, even as one hat among many.

I've been doing a lot with Acronis Advanced Backup lately. We're in a rolling low four figures deployment and other than not having an API for adding machines to groups it's reasonably slick. I particularly like being able to target a hypervisor (ESXi or HyperV) and tell it to restore a backup to a new VM. I've been nagging them about Qemu/KVM support, but we can always boot a VM from their restore media and restore to that. The VM restores work great, and Windows 7 freaks out a lot less than I'd expect when it suddenly boots up in a VM instead of on the physical hardware it was expecting.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

We have a bunch of people that RDP into a Server 2016 AWS server. Remote Desktop sessions don't let you change color/brightness settings and being AWS everything is RDP. I don't want to globally decrease the brightness for all users anyway as that would certainly lead to complaints. Am I missing something or is there is no way to adjust brightness without adjusting the physical monitor every time they connect/disconnect?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

What are they using RDP from? I would instruct them to adjust their brightness on whatever local device they're using.

e: not the monitor, but within the os of the client device whatever that may be.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

The Fool posted:

What are they using RDP from? I would instruct them to adjust their brightness on whatever local device they're using.

e: not the monitor, but within the os of the client device whatever that may be.
Win 7 or Win 10 machines. On the computer I am using at home right now (Win 10 pro) the brightness slider is missing entirely. (not sure if this is because f.lux but appears to be a common issue from googling it)

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

What the hell are you guys even talking about? I've never seen the ability to change brightness on an RDP session

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

What the hell are you guys even talking about? I've never seen the ability to change brightness on an RDP session

I kinda just let that pass.

You can technically control brightness through GPO using power plan settings, but even if you did that it would have no impact on remote sessions.

Brightness control is solely the domain of the local device.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah I don't think you can pass an ICC profile for an RDP session through or something like that, so that's right out.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I've been asked if there's a cheap (free) and easy way to monitor a single employee's computer usage (are they on facebook all day, etc). I don't have anything in place for that, and my google-fu is failing me. Any suggestions? Even something as simple as "a screenshot a minute saved to a network folder" would do the job.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Have their manager assign them enough work that they can't do it all if they're on Facebook all day.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Gerdalti posted:

I've been asked if there's a cheap (free) and easy way to monitor a single employee's computer usage (are they on facebook all day, etc). I don't have anything in place for that, and my google-fu is failing me. Any suggestions? Even something as simple as "a screenshot a minute saved to a network folder" would do the job.

Check their browser history afterhours

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
How discreet does it need to be? ManicTime has a cheap (and also another, more limited, free version) that will do a great job tracking in realtime (even taking screenshots if you want). It can also upload to a centralized server.

But I would make sure that employee computer monitoring is something that has explicitly been agreed to in a handbook or something

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
We're all clear in the handbook. This is mostly "no way he spent 5 hours doing that small piece of work" type stuff. I think I've got a little utility that'll do screenshots for me. I don't need much, just a day worth of "what's he actually doing".

Timecard fraud ahoy, maybe

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Gerdalti posted:

We're all clear in the handbook. This is mostly "no way he spent 5 hours doing that small piece of work" type stuff. I think I've got a little utility that'll do screenshots for me. I don't need much, just a day worth of "what's he actually doing".

Timecard fraud ahoy, maybe

Gotcha. Well ManicTime is awesome for easily automating all of that and perusing it on a timeline. It's just an awesome piece of software all around

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Gerdalti posted:

this is a great excuse to buy that $60 USB hardware keylogger you always wanted

also see what kind of logs you can pull on existing systems. for example if you have cisco umbrella it can give you a report of all the dns hits. you could say "this employee hits facebook 20 times more than the average employee in this company". you might be able to pull logs from the network as well (firewall/whatever)

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 10, 2019

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Gerdalti posted:

We’ve used this from time to time and it’s always worked great:

https://activtrak.com/

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Maneki Neko posted:

We’ve used this from time to time and it’s always worked great:

https://activtrak.com/

I've used similar software in the past to do the same reporting. It works, and it gives HR/management what they want.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
We have a situation where we need an easy way to display the feed from our cameras in areas where it is impractical to get the feed dropped directly from the DVR. The camera do display on a browser though in the local network.

I had planned on using stick PCs (probably Chromebit? Although I see they haven’t released an updated version in 4 years which is worrisome ) but is there an easier way?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Server 2016, three drive RAID1 OS volume (incl. hot spare), nine drive RAID10 data volume, MegaRAID controller...

Do we run defrag software on RAID volumes?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
If they are spinning disks (not SSDs) you are fine to defrag them of you find it beneficial.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Indeed, spinners.

Thank you very much. I'd never considered the matter until now.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

stevewm posted:

Yeah, Sonicwalls with series 6 firmware have a settings page specifically for all things VoIP, and it is all disabled by default.

so are those ^ settings what -should- be in place if I have VoIP phones?

I look after a small office with VoIP phones and a sonicwall, and we were seeing all kinds of weird poo poo, BLF being wrong, one way audio, phantom ringing etc etc. The provider wouldn't offer any help on what settings to change on the sonicwall, and as we were so hosed off, we just got a second IP on the leased line, threw on a Draytek and a PoE switch and patched all the phones to that, zero problems after that.

Ideally, I'd like to just have one network, so 'fixing' the sonicwall so that the phones work would be useful. (I'd like to move everything to the draytek, but people use the NetExtender software to work from home and 'dont like change', so swapping to another VPN option would get peoples backs up)

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

spiny posted:

so are those ^ settings what -should- be in place if I have VoIP phones?

Now days the correct settings for voip phones is to turn off any/all voip specific settings in the firewall - phones and pbxes have all compensated for nat issues years ago.

For QOS - just give traffic to the PBX ip address a high priority.

That's basically it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sonicwall UDP NAT session timeout is very short by default, you can change it though. That tends to be the reason why inbound calls from a :yaybutt:-hosted PBX stop working.

If BLFs don't work then it might be that the platform you are using wants to use UDP packets larger than 1500 bytes and requires the firewall to support fragmenting them, Sonicwall are adamant this is in violation of a standard and so won't do it.

https://www.sonicwall.com/support/k...70505805848271/

Try chucking firewall rules in to stop the phones using UDP for their SIP messaging and see if the platform supports them failing over to use TCP.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I am so glad our SIP trunks are over a completely dedicated line on a private network. (our SIP trunk provider is also our local Fiber ISP). Our PBX is plugged directly into a port on the Fiber ONT. No router involved or indeed needed.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I look forward to this fuckery when we dump our T1 PRIs. Anything will be better than these making GBS threads out because of old rear end lines and freeze/thaw cycles. Or CenturyLink just disconnecting our circuit because they don't have poo poo documented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
So I’m building up some new machine for a client of mine. Their current PCs are almost 8 years old, but still running strong. V proud of that.

I convinced the client the best course of action is a fresh install of Windows rather than restoring from their backup image, and they agreed. So, right now I’m building up PC1, and was planning to make a copy and image that to PC2 before activating this and that. Any issues with that idea? I don’t think I’m missing an obvious “don’t do that” reason but that’s why I’m here.

Once everything is built up and I’m on-site, I was going to restore the primary user folders via their Acronis True Image backup I’ve got. Not sure what to keep in mind here as I’ve never done one. As tempted as I am to try and copy user settings over via AppData, I’m not sure I wouldn’t be inviting trouble. Any insight or things to keep in mind here?

Lastly, they’re switching ISPs to Comcast. Currently they’ve been setup for POP usage and their PSTs are huge. I setup archiving and did some compacting along the way. If they have access to Exchange, or not, any thoughts on the best way to re-integrate these PSTs? I’d like to avoid having separate PSTs/folders for everything to minimize sorting confusion, ya know?