Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I hate videos and would rather read everthing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Internet Explorer posted:

I find videos helpful, but if it's just going to be full of marketing fluff then I don't bother. It has to actually go into some sort of detail. Webinars / "user group session" type stuff is also useful. A 3 minute video full of buzzwords, less so.

Gotcha. I think the thing that I get tripped up on is "if someone is looking on this website for this type of advanced product... SURELY they know everything in this video right? Who should this really be for?"

For instance the stuff I'm working on right now, it's not full of fluff, but a mix of kinda basic explanations of the problem with some 30,000 foot view solutions they provide ... and some Gartner stats thrown in. They haven't even solicited me for strategic solutions yet, but I'm trying to be proactive (if it's even necessary - it might not be) in delivering useful content.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

BonoMan posted:

I have sort of a very unofficial marketing question for IT pros.

When you are researching new tech for your office (say...privilege management solutions), what is your process and - primarily- your engagement with videos on possible solution's websites (Bomgar, Thycotic, CyberArk, etc).

Are videos and animated explainers helpful? Do you send them to your boss to help with purchasing decisions?

For my research, I'd rather read up on a product or if possible, use it in a lab environment to test it out myself.

For convincing management types to spend money on something, generally most of those people prefer PowerPoint for digesting information, or anything that conveys information the same way. This means videos are no good. Instead, use graphs, charts, and bullet point lists to convey information to those people. They tend to respond the best to data showing improved ROI. They don't give a drat about product features unless they can be shown to directly improve worker efficiency or customer experience so don't waste time talking about how cool a product is. Instead frame the conversation around exactly how the product will help the business.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 3, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Fool posted:

Oh see this is me, too. Like I don't really see myself watching a video to get important info. Much less forwarding a video on to my boss. I'd rather have a nice landing page with useful (but pretty!) info and a PDF one pager to forward on to anybody involved in the purchasing process. I'd keep the video to just digital ads driving to the landing page.

GreatGreen posted:

For my research, I'd rather read up on a product or if possible, use it in a lab environment to test it out myself.

For convincing management types to spend money on something, generally most of those people prefer PowerPoint for digesting information, or anything that conveys information the same way. This means videos are no good. Instead, use graphs, charts, and bullet point lists to convey information to those people. They tend to respond the best to data showing improved ROI. They don't give a drat about product features unless they can be shown to directly improve worker efficiency or customer experience.

Some good stuff, thanks!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 3, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So, last question, but I'm going to pivot a second. If a client insisted on creating something a bit flashy for marketing purposes... would you prefer an animated explainer video or this type of animated infographic webpage: https://lucidworks.com/darkdata/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What I don't want is to have basic stuff like datasheets stuff behind a contact form so someone can email me and pester for a follow up.

Also in the age of consuming services I want the prices on the website. You could be 60% of the price of a competitor but if they published the price plans and you didn't then I'd never find out.

I agree on the trial point - but it has to be a decent trial. Making someone go through a sales engagement to get a 14 day trial is pointless, I don't think it's reasonable to expect someone to engage so much with your product that they can get a good feel for it in such a short period of time.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 3, 2020

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

BonoMan posted:

So, last question, but I'm going to pivot a second. If a client insisted on creating something a bit flashy for marketing purposes... would you prefer an animated explainer video or this type of animated infographic webpage: https://lucidworks.com/darkdata/

What's the situation here? Are you, an IT professional, being expected to put a sales video together for a client of your business? Are you part of a managed IT services provider who has a client that is expecting you to put together a marketing video for them to use to sell something to a 3rd party?

Are you, again an IT professional, being asked to research different softwares for some other marketing department to use?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GreatGreen posted:

What's the situation here? Are you, an IT professional, being expected to put a sales video together for a client of your business? Are you part of a managed IT services provider who has a client that is expecting you to put together a marketing video for them to use to sell something to a 3rd party?

Are you, again an IT professional, being asked to research different softwares for some other marketing department to use?

I'M THE ONE ASKING THE QUESTIONS HERE!

but no seriously I'm a marketing guy for an agency and one of our clients is a an IT solutions provider and we do a lot of high end videos for them (both animated and traditionally shot). And with the next round of work coming up, we were doing some resets on certain aspects. And this idea of "how effective has video *really* been for you" has been a thought of mine for a while - so I finally just wanted to start exploring it.

I handle the IT for our company as well (a long stupid story that is finally coming to an end) so while I don't consider myself a well informed pro like you guys do... I feel like I have enough knowledge to know the kind of people that make these purchasing decisions and start thinking that video might not be the best tool to spend money on.

But, to say again, they have whitepages and demos and all of the other good stuff, so they aren't just depending on video or anything. But I want to make sure they're spending wisely and so I just took the opportunity to say ask some questions so maybe we can start shaping their strategy a little differently.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BonoMan posted:

I have sort of a very unofficial marketing question for IT pros.

When you are researching new tech for your office (say...privilege management solutions), what is your process and - primarily- your engagement with videos on possible solution's websites (Bomgar, Thycotic, CyberArk, etc).

Are videos and animated explainers helpful? Do you send them to your boss to help with purchasing decisions?

when a video quickly gets into "Here is how you do X" or "this is the step-by-step breakdown of how something works architecturally," I stick around

your competitors already know all of the internals of how your systems work, there's really no good reason to avoid getting into the details with prospective customers

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think it really depends on the solutions. I will definitely watch videos for an intro into the product if it's something I need others to understand, because I will send the folks above me or below me the video as an introduction to the topic. My peers who would prefer the documentation over the video aren't the people I'm going to share the video with, because they don't need an introduction on the product. They'll have already likely understood just by me talking with them about it for a minute or two.

I don't need documentation on a ticketing system to send to folks who have never used one before. I'll find a quick video and send it along. Same for something like PagerDuty. Or PRTG. Or a bunch of other stuff. People who I have to share basic concepts to, a video does help.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A video is a lot harder to keep up to date - if I went on a product page and there was a video that used old branding or an old UI of the service in question I would see that a much bigger problem than if the video just wasn't there.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Does anyone know of stats I can point to that show VDI popularity compared to laptops for like, companies under 500 users

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Does anyone know of stats I can point to that show VDI popularity compared to laptops for like, companies under 500 users

I'm not aware of anything generic, although I am sure it exists. In the legal field, there is a legal tech group that puts out surveys every year that asks questions like that and breaks it down by company size. They call it a "technology survey." Might be worth looking around for that sort of thing. If you're interested in something from that group, let me know and I can see if I can find a question along those lines.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

how do you log into a vdi without a laptop

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Methanar posted:

I do it every single day. It's great.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Methanar posted:

Personal device.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm not aware of anything generic, although I am sure it exists. In the legal field, there is a legal tech group that puts out surveys every year that asks questions like that and breaks it down by company size. They call it a "technology survey." Might be worth looking around for that sort of thing. If you're interested in something from that group, let me know and I can see if I can find a question along those lines.

My industry doesn't ask that question unforch.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm running all of our admin crap at my new shop, which is great, because we're a small-ish start up and I've gotten to put in a lot of great stuff from the ground up.

We're being asked to implement a VOIP/PBX system for our users. We're all remote now, so I'm interested in cloud style stuff. We need voice mail, hunt groups, all that crap. Hardware phones would be great too.

Kind of out of my depth here so I'm curious what you goons are doing for this. We don't have an office or I'd call in a vendor to just stand something up for us.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Look long at hard at something like RingCentral before you start getting into hosting your own VOIP/PBX. Teams phones may also be an option if you're in the Microsoft excosystem. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/getting-phone-numbers-for-your-users

vvvv 8x8 works too vvvv

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 24, 2020

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

8x8 is fairly decent, cloud pbx and all that, we resell them to our customers.

Their support can be iffy, they have pretty decent KBs for most common items.

I've run into random weird things that don't work well such as..

Speed dials on physical phones randomly disappearing when the phone reboots/updates
iOS softphone app doesn't have a way to set it to not ring other than being logged out (android app does)

I'm sure there are a few other things I can't think of rn, but honestly despite the short comings it works fairly well.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

I'm running all of our admin crap at my new shop, which is great, because we're a small-ish start up and I've gotten to put in a lot of great stuff from the ground up.

We're being asked to implement a VOIP/PBX system for our users. We're all remote now, so I'm interested in cloud style stuff. We need voice mail, hunt groups, all that crap. Hardware phones would be great too.

Kind of out of my depth here so I'm curious what you goons are doing for this. We don't have an office or I'd call in a vendor to just stand something up for us.

Hardware phones are cumbersome, a source of technical debt, and expensive. Seriously consider just having everyone use soft phones, especially since you don't have an office.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Thanatosian posted:

Hardware phones are cumbersome, a source of technical debt, and expensive. Seriously consider just having everyone use soft phones, especially since you don't have an office.

Yeah agreed. I can see a world where we need to support this, however, since we have a "call center" component of our business (albeit not for a few months yet). So having the ability to get that and still have stuff like Voicemail/Hunt groups would be awesome.

I've used RC in the past, I'm really not interested in hosting my own PBX crap if I can prevent it.

Bonus if we can SSO using google/okta as well.

We looked at Voice but have a large portion of our team outside the US, so that is kind of problematic for us.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My company uses Nextiva, but I don't know about their outside the US coverage. We have one guy in the UK and he uses a soft phone on his laptop.

I used to be in our helpdesk call center until a few months ago, and the hardware phones they gave were fine. I'm using the iOS app now since I get maybe a call a week now. My only complaint is that some of the things I'd like to admin I have to put in a ticket with their support for.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're using Google Apps G Suite Google Workspace then use their voice service. If you're on Office Microsoft 365 then use their voice service. They both have the features you need, and the integration is worth more than any additional features brought by a 3rd party provider.

This advice doesn't apply to larger operations, but if you're small there's really no need to get too complicated.

Countries supported by Voice are here https://support.google.com/voice/answer/9310722

Can also vouch for 8x8, we have a couple thousand seats deployed for customers and most of them couldn't wait to get off the old Avaya poo poo they had been using before. 80%+ have ditched desk phones (covid really helped force this). If you wanted to run something yourself then 3CX can be deployed into AWS/Azure/GCP with one click and it's dirt cheap if you want to give hundreds of people access to a phone that will only get used rarely as it's not a per-user price. You do have to bring your own SIP carriers though.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 24, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BonoMan posted:

We use Bomgar heavily for in my org. Service Desk relies on it, my team uses it a lot for troubleshooting with a user. It's very polished, very powerful, and very expensive. CyberArk is new for us, we're using it as a secure gateway for third parties with a compelling need to remote in to, say, lab systems. We do 2FA and require a ton of paperwork for an account. It doesn't look as pretty as Bomgar, but that might just be our implementation.

Both of them have the key feature we need: they record every session, which was a minimum for Security approving the CyberArk solution. I suspect that makes CyberArk expensive too. Some companies will absolutely need the recordings though, so you get what you pay for.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mllaneza posted:

We use Bomgar heavily for in my org. Service Desk relies on it, my team uses it a lot for troubleshooting with a user. It's very polished, very powerful, and very expensive. CyberArk is new for us, we're using it as a secure gateway for third parties with a compelling need to remote in to, say, lab systems. We do 2FA and require a ton of paperwork for an account. It doesn't look as pretty as Bomgar, but that might just be our implementation.

Both of them have the key feature we need: they record every session, which was a minimum for Security approving the CyberArk solution. I suspect that makes CyberArk expensive too. Some companies will absolutely need the recordings though, so you get what you pay for.

Interesting - thanks! Was Bomgar/BeyondTrust missing a feature that drove you to CyberArk? (Also feel free to put this in a DM if it's too off topic for the thread)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Whatever you do don’t go with Five9 for your call center.

Our company is majority cell phones for the field techs, central office people get teams with pstn numbers assigned, and the call center uses Five9 as mentioned. Works pretty well overall.

We completed our porting/cutover to teams for everyone in the office in February, that was incredible timing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ok I've posted several times in this thread in the past where I ask for help and mention my company has no official IT guy.

Well good news is we have a MSP coming Monday to hopefully come under contract and go through our equipment and do an audit and eventually relieve me of this terrible burden.

BAD NEWS is we have an immediate crisis I don't know how to solve.

We have three proxmox nodes that handle our it infrastructure. primarily our DNS servers etc.

Occasionally when the power goes out I have to go in and manually spin up the DNS vms. So I can poke around it with a little bit of confidence.

Unfortunately today though there's a new issue. The proxmox nodes seem to be randomly disconnecting and connecting... They go red x on me... and thus the DNS keeps starting restarting etc and our connection keeps going in and out. Occasionally they're all three be up and I'll assume that maybe it was a sync problem but eventually one goes out and then they just restart the process of all three going in and out at different intervals.

Where do I even start to troubleshoot this?

Edit: the guy that originally set this up is long gone but I do have the logins etc

Edit 2: I know proxmox can have weird issues when the time is not synced correctly... they are connected to an edge max switch... when I look at the time settings in the edge Max switch . They are wrong... Looks like they're saying 1969. Could the proxmox servers be trying to get time from the edge Max switch and get the wrong time and thus gets stuck in a continuous loop of losing/gaining connection?

Edit 3: unlikely anything to do with the edge max switch. However when I do manage to login to two of the 3 proxmox servers they def have the wrong time. Both are saying it's yesterday and time is 6 minutes different. So I'm assuming this is part of the problem

edit 4: Long day. I ended up calling the MSP that had an appointment to come by on Monday and just being like "uhhh can you come by today? I need help with something" and they showed up right away. We toiled around on it for two hours trying *everything* with the same result... the three servers that house the VMs for DNS/PFSense/Etc would spin up and then shut down...and sputter to life every 10 minutes for maybe 30 seconds at most. Finally, after nearly giving up, we noticed a cable that seemed only mildly out of place. He said "what's this do?" then unplugged it and ... voila. Machines spun up and stayed up. Looks like that was a line connecting some old unmanaged switches to the EdgeSwitch and causing some sort of loop/broadcast storm. We didn't solve *where* the loop was just at the moment (too late and needed to call it a day) but the newer side of the network is up and running again and we'll figure the rest out this weekend.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 26, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Fool posted:

:same:

Videos are for managers and executives. For us IT People I want plan pure text without any fancy formatting. Examples how to configure the product. Bonus points for infographics or Visio diagrams.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I'm really puzzled by an RDP problem, and I'd love any hekp.

I've got a client who has a Win10 Pro box that I can RDP into ONLY from another PC on the LAN and not over the VPN.

Every other PC is reachable via RDP over the VPN. Here's what they have and what I've tried...

:::pfSense with OpenVPN (tunnels work fine, can get to router and any other RDP host). I really don't think it's the VPN nor firewall, but.. I'm stumped.

:::All Windows 10 Pro 2004/20H2, and this problem has been going on for a year

:::Firewall rules on the router are all very basic, basically just the OpenVPN wizard-created ones

:::Windows Firewall when completely dropped behaves no different

:::Network is Workgroup, flat 10.0.0.0/24, and network profile is Private

:::IP is 10.0.0.164

:::Changing default RDP port from 3389 to 3333 made no difference (nor caused a problem in local RDC)

:::"Telnet 10.0.0.164 3389" just times out, but responds fine from LAN

:::The only thing I haven't tried that I perhaps ought to have is to change the host's IP address, but I can't wrap my head around that mattering.

:::RDC just times out, doesn't call out NLA problems, etc.

Where in the hell do I look next?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does the PC in question have a static route that mentions the VPN client subnet that is causing problems? What happens if you traceroute from the PC to a VPN client IP on the problem PC and one that you can connect to?

Is it just RDP, or does ping not work either?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Gabriel S. posted:

:same:

Videos are for managers and executives. For us IT People I want plan pure text without any fancy formatting. Examples how to configure the product. Bonus points for infographics or Visio diagrams.

Jeet christ, this. If I can't Ctl+F it I can't meaningfully use it in a support context (and no, I'm not going to write up a loving cue sheet for your lovely video).

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Thanks Ants posted:

Does the PC in question have a static route that mentions the VPN client subnet that is causing problems? What happens if you traceroute from the PC to a VPN client IP on the problem PC and one that you can connect to?

Is it just RDP, or does ping not work either?

Thank you for your reply!

I cannot ping any of the workstations, although I can ping the Server 2019 box and router.

I do not believe it's ever had its routing table modified, but I'll check for sure at EOB when I get access to it again.

tracerts from my PC at home to their LAN at 10.0.0.164, as well as to a very similar RDP-accessible one at 10.0.0.165 and to their Server 2019 (10.0.0.3) results:

(The tunnel is using 10.0.42.0/24)

code:
C:\>tracert 10.0.0.164

Tracing route to 10.0.0.164 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    21 ms    22 ms    23 ms  10.0.42.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert 10.0.0.165

Tracing route to 10.0.0.165 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    30 ms    21 ms    21 ms  10.0.42.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
code:
C:\>tracert 10.0.0.3

Tracing route to SERVER [10.0.0.3]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    23 ms    26 ms    22 ms  10.0.42.1
  2    24 ms    23 ms    29 ms  RAWSERVER [10.0.0.3]
I'm happy to throw up shots of their meager pfSense firewall rules et all, but I don't want to clutter the thread up unless they'll help.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Ah ha! Comparing route print from the problem PC to working ones, I spotted a difference in subnet masks, which lead me to check its NIC (could have swore I did...). It's mask was 255.0.0.0, cause that's what pops in there when you use 10.0.0.0 as a /24 and don't correct it to 255.255.255.0

Thanks a bunch Thanks Ants for pointing me in the right direction!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

We have a boardroom email account and any meetings people tag it in just automatically go in its calendar. Any way I can stop this? Some people are not checking the calendar first leading to double bookings

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

codo27 posted:

We have a boardroom email account and any meetings people tag it in just automatically go in its calendar. Any way I can stop this? Some people are not checking the calendar first leading to double bookings

Exchange Online/Microsoft 365?

In the Exchange control panel, you can edit the room mailbox and set booking delegates:

Edit: the new Exchange Admin Center looks different but has the same settings.

GigaFuzz fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 3, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeahh I dont have that access because that would be sensible. Have to put in a ticket for that. Thanks

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tapedump posted:

Ah ha! Comparing route print from the problem PC to working ones, I spotted a difference in subnet masks, which lead me to check its NIC (could have swore I did...). It's mask was 255.0.0.0, cause that's what pops in there when you use 10.0.0.0 as a /24 and don't correct it to 255.255.255.0
One of the many reasons to not hardcode static IPs on a device.

DHCP reservations for anything that doesn't need an address for the DHCP to work in the first place.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a suggested guide to learning MDT? Our setup is duct taped together, there's no documentation and nobody knows how it works, so upgrading the Windows 10 image turns into a clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a suggested guide to learning MDT? Our setup is duct taped together, there's no documentation and nobody knows how it works, so upgrading the Windows 10 image turns into a clusterfuck.

Microsoft’s own docs are better than they used to be: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/deployment/deploy-windows-mdt/get-started-with-the-microsoft-deployment-toolkit

Failing that I would normally google ‘deploy windows 10 mdt’ and glance at some blogs to remember the workflow and to see if there’s anything I can improve on.

I’m the person who set it up initially at our office (to replace clonezilla lol) but the desktop team looks at it waaaay more than I do at this point. If you have an existing deployment task that works, changing out the image it’s using isn’t too complicated.

90% of my MDT experience is testing deploys to see what breaks.