Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Happiness Commando posted:

If you had to choose between DHCP reservations and static IPs for printers, which would you choose and why?

DHCP Reservations. Easier to keep track of and allows you to keep a semi-official record of their IPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

The method that lets me change things around on the network without having to touch multiple devices.

Or just leave them all on DHCP on their own subnet and let DNS work it out :getin:

DHCP as a system of Natural Selection. I like it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I do static IPs so that all my printers can be close to each other in IP range. How often are you guys changing printer IP addresses lmao.

I only have like at most 6 printers per company I work with though.

I never have to change them because DHCP reservations are MAC based and I have them on their own VLAN subnet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowley posted:

IIRC you can't even promote a server to DC if it's using DHCP.

Usually Windows DC makes the DC's primary network controller static regardless of if it was running DHCP or not. It's one of the first things it does when you promote it to a DC.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wolrah posted:

It tosses a warning during the promotion process saying one or more network interfaces are DHCP, but it doesn't make the change automatically or even pop up a dialog asking you to do it. I just did a fresh 2012 R2 DC in a VM to verify and it's happily running as DHCP.

Not saying it's necessarily a good idea for reasons already covered a few posts back, but it definitely works and you don't have to do anything special to force it to do so. If your DHCP doesn't depend on AD to operate I'm not sure there's even any technical reason it would matter between hard static or "static" via DHCP reservations.

Maybe its a new thing with 2012, but 2k8 would not let you continue unless you setup a static for the DC NIC. Huh.

Gerdalti posted:

I asked this over in the Enterprise thread too, but you guys might have different thoughts.

I have an older file server that I'd like to use as a disk target for my backups. What's the best of the "free" linux based nas choices for this? The one's I'm familiar with are OpenFiler and FreeNas, but I know there are a bunch of other options too. Looks like FreeNas is probably going to be my choice, but I figured you guys would have other opinions worth hearing.

Just going to throw my support behind FreeNAS, as it supports both SMB and NFS mounts as well as Domain Controlled access.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zakutambah posted:

Come in this morning to file server issues: slow, remote access crapping out, general weirdness. Nothing too unusual with the old box though, usually just a bit over-taxed, have a look... that's a lot of accounts logged in running odd processes... why is the administrator account logged in... aw poo poo...

An account with the name 'administrator', logged in via remote desktop, from an ip range in Nigeria. gently caress.

And a whole bunch of other newly created accounts (echo, sys, sql, mysql) all with elevated privileges, all with sessions open.

Going to be a fun day :sigh:

Do the song and dance and disconnect completely from the internet. Go into full lockdown and start notifying customers NOW.

Assume if he can get into that box, he can get into others.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 8, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MF_James posted:

oh man I never saw this thread before, so here's an abridged version of a conversation I had with my favorite client.

:argh: While our systems are down we are losing 100k AN HOUR!!!! FIX IT
:toot: Well, your drobo storage took a poo poo because, well I dunno, it's a black box and you refused to buy a support contract, luckily we get a free 30-day trial so I am working with them.
:argh: I have lost 400K ALREADY TODAY BECAUSE WE HAVE BEEN DOWN FOR 2 HOURS!
:toot: We're working on it, but if you would like to not have this problem I do recommend upgrading your storage to something that is not a giant heap of poo poo
:argh: I'M SENDING EVERYONE HOME BECAUSE YOU CAN'T FIX IT
:toot: ok?

2 hours later

:toot: it is now fixed, no data lost, you'll be ready to go tomorrow, I've tested everything and all VMs are operating as expected (really lovely)
:angel: Thanks for all your help!
:toot: So because of all your lost revenue today, I do recommend buying a support contract or, more preferably, a device such as an HP SAN instead of a consumer level NAS
:angel: Nah too much money
:toot: but you supposedly lost half a million dollars today, a SAN will only cost you a fraction of that
:angel: have a nice day!

:derp::fuckoff:

Been here, done that. Usually the other way around though. Usually I'm recommending the later part before the former happens, and then writing an "I-told-you-so" contract when I fix it for them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Moey posted:

Disable the windows update service. Problem solved.

Please patch.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
LVM with Encryption is an option.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Digital_Jesus posted:

Azure Security Center integrated with Win Defender?

Yes but its a different ATP license level. P5 IIRC.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Fool posted:

Defender ATP is in Windows E5, and last I checked didn’t come as a stand-alone add-in.

I mixed up P5 for O365 and E5 for ATP/Defender :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
3rd'ing KnowBe4.