Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Aunt Beth posted:

IBM provides onsite repair services for macs now that it's best friends with Apple.

I believe you can also do this as a reseller which would be funny having companies all becoming resellers. This is how you can get spares in HK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

HTTPS ok, VPN very random as many local routers are really poorly implemented devices or the great firewall will just block it.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Internet Explorer posted:

Just replace the hardware and fix the actual problem, God drat. You should not be rebooting your firewall once a week.

Doesn't Cisco still support this in IOS? Regular reboots to fix memory leaks and other features.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

McDeth posted:

Is anybody aware of any alternatives to ExtremeZ-IP/Acronis Access Connect?

I am completely fed up with companies that do all they can do hide access to support phone numbers that lead to a real person.

Acronis the backup company? One would imagine an endless amount of crazy shouting people trying to reach them demanding support for restores. I wonder how many times they are threatened with law suits?

The alternative to that product appears to be OS X 10.9 or newer and SMB 2/3. That product only appears to fix SMB 1 being rear end, you can still get missing files with AFP and the performance is worse than SMB for a long time. Implemented a Spotlight server is pretty cool though, all the OS vendors don't put much effort into improving network searching: I think Microsoft added it with Windows Search 4, Gnome people did have it with Beagle but then dropped it and concentrates on local-only domain. I guess people just waive their hand and say use a DMS.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 19, 2016

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

pfSense the commercial entity has recently released a $299 tiny appliance that may be worth investigating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

CainFortea posted:

Until recently, our rental system was a bunch of dumb terminals hooked up to a unix mainframe. The guy I replaced had them all talking over ethernet somehow using some kind of serial to RJ45 adapter. I'm not a unix person, so I don't even pretend to understand how a 20 year old dumb terminal can talk with a unix system over an ethernet connection, but I never saw any of them on network scans or anything.

Every single device in the entire building came back to a single switch in his office. Which he had bolted to the wall, then put a table in front of it, and a shelf under the table.

He once told me that after a while he stopped following the color codes for terminating CAT5 and would just do all the solid colors in the middle since they were easier to see. Since some of these cables were laid when the system was installed and some weren't, I have no clue which wires are done right or not.

It's common to use serial to RJ11 or RJ45: a lot of networking equipment for example for console access. :lol: at randomly changing the pinout across the site.

Otherwise is it a converter rather than adapter? There are oodles of boxes for machine control and junk that loves that. Also popular in finance industry for broker feeds that run over serial protocol ever since they were created back in the 60s.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 12, 2020