Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I'm trying to find a good solution for "cloud based" file storage, to completely replace file servers on the premises. Any success stories?

OneDrive for business / sharepoint online - personally have horrible experiences from a user experience standpoint.

Dropbox - Just Works, need a backup solution though since their customer support doesn't exist basically. Mover.io looks cool, does it Just Work too? Also hoping we'll get an admin control in the future that lets me force users to not sync specific folders.

Google Drive - weak if not going full on G Suite

SSLVPN+local file server or synology, which is backed up to S3 or carbonite or something - current solution, don't love it.

I want a rock solid, Just Works solution that I can sell to clients that doesn't involve relying on anything premise based. Oh and it still needs to look like a file system they're used to.

Me too, and for security reasons I'd like to do it without syncing local copies of everything to people's laptops.

Interested to hear what other people are doing for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

How do you guys manage remote machines that don't regularly connect to a DC?

Checking stuff like windows updates across ~40 laptops most of which probably aren't in the office on a given day is becoming a real pain.

Are any of the RMM products (Ninja, N-Central, Kaseya, Atera LabTech etc) actually good?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What does everyone else do with new Windows 10 machines?

I want to remove all the Xbox/Cortana/etc stuff and I'm guessing there's something out there that will do it for me so that I don't have to sit here going through settings by hand.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Internet Explorer posted:

I love audits that come in with questions at the level where they think we're some gigantic corporate entity that's susceptible to something like SOX, HIPPA, PCI. Like yeah, I'm going to fill out your 500 question tech audit with anything but a big marker and LOL scribbled over it. Our IT department and the necessary administrative staff would need to be bigger than our entire company.

I get these and have to do them.

I'm also currently working towards ISO27001 and PCI certification and GDPR compliance while supporting 450 users.

It's just me :negative:

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Internet Explorer posted:

What in the gently caress? How is that even possible?

To be fair only about 80 of the users are in an office environment with 1 machine per person, the majority are at remote sites where it's more like 1 machine per 10 people.

Mostly it just really sucks. I've been asking for a second person for ages but there's apparently no money for it. We do use a bargain basement IT support company (they have 2 engineers) but they're not very good and I have to clean up after them a lot, which means users don't trust them and call me instead, and they don't know enough to help with the audits.

I've just (finally!) gotten signoff from the board on getting a proper support company and contract in place from October and I'm hoping/planning that they will field all first line support so I can focus on other stuff.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I'm using consultancies to help with the compliance stuff, yeah.

My latest thing is we're moving offices and management want to replace the last of our desktops with laptops so that everyone can do flexible/agile/smart/collaborative/hotdesk working at the new site.

I've only ever ordered 1 or 2 machines at a time before, online, and I don't have an account manager or get quotes or discounts or anything like that. Is 20 machines enough of an order to get me into that zone? For those of you who do have account managers/VARs/similar, what kind of discount do you get on website prices?

Also, does anyone have a laptop they'd recommend? I'm thinking 15.6", 8GB RAM, SSD and a 3 year onsite NBD warranty, and I'm currently considering something like the 250 G5 or Probook 430 G4 (we're an HP shop at the moment but I'm not particularly wedded to them. Not sure if it's a US thing only but I hear Dell give good discounts).

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Teamviewer are releasing on iOS soon. Not sure of the details but got a newsletter about it recently.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Thanks people who recommended Dell - I went with Latitudes and got a good price.

They're nice machines, but Windows 10 is a pain.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What do you all use to report on Windows Updates?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What's a good way to back up a Hyper-V host + Sage/SQL VM?

Veeam looks great and is pretty cheap but their Cloud Connect channel partner stuff gets really expensive.

(I've just discovered that the box in question is being backed up by CrashPlan, which... basically doesn't work :eng99:)

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Digital_Jesus posted:

Get a separate box to run veeam for vm backups then use a cloud service to offsite your veeam backups.

Works like a charm. Though Im not hot on crashplan myself, I have other offsite backup hosts.

The Fool posted:

I run Veeam locally and then use Azure storage sync to get my backups into Azure.

I even do test restores directly from azure storage over smb and it works fine.
Thanks, this was helpful. I'm going to do Veeam to onsite storage and then CrashPlan the critical/finance stuff offsite rather than the whole machine(s).

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What do you all use for the internal vulnerability scanning bits of PCI compliance?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Okay, cool, I've booked calls/demos. Seems like Nessus is half the price of Qualys and like AlienVault can do more than either.

Today's :psyduck: thing - Windows 10 has Fast Startup enabled by default, and Fast Startup means Windows Updates might not install.

e: Wow AlienVault is expensive. Nessus it is.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 2, 2018

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Gerdalti posted:

Backup Chat. I'm looking for some alternatives and I would love to hear a high level on what you guys use.

I'm stuck using Backup Exec myself right now, and I hate it. I'm backing up about 14 TB of data right now. Growth rate seems to be about 40-50% a year.
A bunch of Hyper-V instances (Microsoft Failover Clustering) and a ton of raw data on file shares (I think this excludes Veeam as an option for me) that is also setup on a Failover Cluster File Server setup. There's also some MS Sql and MySQL instances. Currently I do a lot of Backup to Disk, then Duplicate to Tape (AWS Storage Gateway VTL).

Please wow me with awesome alternatives!

Having recently looked at Veeam I'm pretty sure it can handle that. Their Backup & Replication product (also available far more cheaply as Backup Essentials for businesses with fewer than 250 employees up to 6 CPU sockets) includes the Windows and Linux agents for physical machines.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What do you all do for AV?

We have Webroot in place and it's been okay at an okay price point so far, but it's up for renewal in August so I'm having a look around.

We've had Sophos and Kaspersky in the past but I found the clients pretty heavy and users complained about scans making things crawl even on decent machines.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Thanks for the AV advice peeps. I have a new thing I'm struggling with.

We're on G Suite and since late last month a lot of our emails are going to spam/quarantine and not reaching recipients.

These are emails sent through third party newsletter services like sign-up.to, emails sent direct from the Gmail web UI, via Outlook with G Suite Sync, from the iOS app etc, to a range of businesses, some of them big enterprises, and including random individual emails sent to people we've corresponded with before and even replies to their emails.

I've had a bunch of the recipients send me headers and it looks like everything is passing SPF/DKIM but (e.g.) Office 365 just mark even innocuous personal emails from us as spam all of a sudden. I've switched our SPF from hard to soft fail and subsequently to neutral anyway, just to do something, but it's made no difference.

Google Postmaster Tools says we have a 0% user-reported spam rate, High IP and Domain reputation, 100% SPF success rate and so on.

I've looked the affected domain up on every blacklist/reputation checker I can find and haven't found anything bad.

We haven't changed our signatures to include links or GDPR disclaimers or anything recently.

We've contacted all our clients and asked them to whitelist us, but that isn't a great look, and we can't do that for prospects or anyone else we're communicating with for the first time.

Our CEO is angry and willing to spend lots of money on "high powered consultants" getting this fixed, but I don't know what the problem is or who I could give money to that would be able to fix it.

:negative:

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 29, 2018

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Thanks Ants posted:

Are you DKIM signing your outbound messages?

We weren't at onset but are now.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Jack the Lad posted:

Thanks for the AV advice peeps. I have a new thing I'm struggling with.

We're on G Suite and since late last month a lot of our emails are going to spam/quarantine and not reaching recipients.

These are emails sent through third party newsletter services like sign-up.to, emails sent direct from the Gmail web UI, via Outlook with G Suite Sync, from the iOS app etc, to a range of businesses, some of them big enterprises, and including random individual emails sent to people we've corresponded with before and even replies to their emails.

I've had a bunch of the recipients send me headers and it looks like everything is passing SPF/DKIM but (e.g.) Office 365 just mark even innocuous personal emails from us as spam all of a sudden. I've switched our SPF from hard to soft fail and subsequently to neutral anyway, just to do something, but it's made no difference.

Google Postmaster Tools says we have a 0% user-reported spam rate, High IP and Domain reputation, 100% SPF success rate and so on.

I've looked the affected domain up on every blacklist/reputation checker I can find and haven't found anything bad.

We haven't changed our signatures to include links or GDPR disclaimers or anything recently.

We've contacted all our clients and asked them to whitelist us, but that isn't a great look, and we can't do that for prospects or anyone else we're communicating with for the first time.

Our CEO is angry and willing to spend lots of money on "high powered consultants" getting this fixed, but I don't know what the problem is or who I could give money to that would be able to fix it.

:negative:

Update: After going back and forth with Office 365 support for a few weeks, this is mostly fixed (it's still happening for emails from our own servers but they say they'll fix those too in 2-3 days).

Apparently it was nothing on our end, there was a problem with Exchange Online Protection that was fixed after being escalated to their Product Group team, but they don't do root cause analysis and can't tell me why it happened or what the fix was.

So, uhhh, yeah. What.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

dogstile posted:

I've been asked to look into CCTV for a shop that my boss owns the property of. It needs to be sharp enough to recognise faces and I need to be able to store/auto cycle the data without actually being there.

I've never done anything like this before, anyone got a good idea of where to start? UK suppliers would be handy if you can help, if not general advice is appreciated.

I'm also in the UK and looked into this recently.

Depending on your budget and use case the Meraki kit is actually pretty good. It stores video on the camera (so theoretically someone can take the camera and you don't have the recording, but you also don't need anything else to make it work, just PoE/internet) and you can do analytics and motion heatmaps and whatever from the cloud interface. It was something like £530/camera and £88/year licensing. Easy to remote manage.

If you are on a complete shoestring there are various consumer options which talk to smartphone apps for £cheap but which are more about the realtime feed with maybe motion sensor alerting on the app than storing footage.

Otherwise there's the traditional talk to an alarm/camera/lock company approach, where they come out and install cameras which pass the footage back to some weird old software on an old PC (or whatever you like). Varies but in my case (4 cameras) would have been about ~£3k all in with no ongoing (pay per use for maintenance/replacement/whatever).

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Windows 10 Updates are confusing me.

Despite happily receiving and acknowledging GPOs that should make them run every day, I'm seeing endpoints that just sit there not updating until someone hits the button. There's a setting that says "Disable automatic updates" but nothing that matches in the gpresult output and I dunno whether it's a real thing or just a confusingly named GP thing where it disables disabling something to enable it. Anyone have any bright ideas? Am I missing something incredibly obvious?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Beefstorm posted:

Are you certain there is not another group policy superseding your automatic update policy?

Almost certain - from my third screenshot it looks like that must be it, but I've been through all the GPOs on the DC and the gpresult output on an affected machine and I can't see anything else touching Windows Update.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

That GPO was winning, but I made it Enforced and it looks like that may have fixed it, which is awesome:

Now if only I knew what was causing them to be disabled before I did that... :eng99:

e: Is there a list anywhere of these user-facing descriptions and the specific GP setting they correspond to? I'm not sure whether "Auto Reboot will not happen with logged on users" is the same as "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations". If it is, I don't know why it's shown here, since it's Not Configured in the GPO.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 8, 2018

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

This is the power going into the server rack at one of our sites and I don't like the look of it:

It currently goes that 16A IEC 309 blue socket -> PDU -> UPS -> other stuff and I want to replace the cable so we go blue socket -> UPS -> kit with no old/beat up PDU in between.

I'm not going to get a shock if I shut stuff down and just pull the plug am I? I haven't had anything to do with this kind of cable previously but this doesn't seem worth booking an electrician for.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

GreenNight posted:

Wrap it all in electrical tape and call it a day.

Serious answer, you should be fine.

Thanks Ants posted:

You'll be fine. Chuck the PDU though because even though you could just back the gland out and clamp it down on the cable, it looks like it's too large anyway, and that looks like one of the generic poo poo PDUs that you see everywhere.

I'm more concerned about the power cable going into the blue commando socket - is it flat twin and earth cable?
Thanks both, missed these before.

I think it is flat twin and earth, yeah. Is that horrendous? Apparently it was here (along with the PDU) when we moved in.

e: Also - sorry for the stupid question - am I right in thinking this socket is actually 32A and I can't run a cable straight from it to the 16A input on the UPS in any case?

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Thanks Ants posted:

You should get an electrician in to mount the socket on the wall because twin and earth cable isn’t designed to be flexed around (it’s solid core), and it will get easily damaged if it’s free to flap around.

You can wire a 32a plug onto a C19 socket which I assume is the UPS input, but you really should make sure that an appropriate breaker is installed. If you have a 32a outlet and a 32a breaker then you could end up drawing 32a through it if you had a UPS fault - when the IEC connector is designed for 20a only.

If you get an electrician in then you can have a 32a feed to a sub-panel and two 16a outlets with the appropriate breakers installed. Or just swap the 32a out for a 16a to make it safer.

Got it, thanks again - that's helpful and sounds like the way to go.