Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm running all of our admin crap at my new shop, which is great, because we're a small-ish start up and I've gotten to put in a lot of great stuff from the ground up.

We're being asked to implement a VOIP/PBX system for our users. We're all remote now, so I'm interested in cloud style stuff. We need voice mail, hunt groups, all that crap. Hardware phones would be great too.

Kind of out of my depth here so I'm curious what you goons are doing for this. We don't have an office or I'd call in a vendor to just stand something up for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Thanatosian posted:

Hardware phones are cumbersome, a source of technical debt, and expensive. Seriously consider just having everyone use soft phones, especially since you don't have an office.

Yeah agreed. I can see a world where we need to support this, however, since we have a "call center" component of our business (albeit not for a few months yet). So having the ability to get that and still have stuff like Voicemail/Hunt groups would be awesome.

I've used RC in the past, I'm really not interested in hosting my own PBX crap if I can prevent it.

Bonus if we can SSO using google/okta as well.

We looked at Voice but have a large portion of our team outside the US, so that is kind of problematic for us.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have a few sattelite offices coming on board next week and two are in remote locations without reliable/fast internet, but there is reasonable 4g LTE there. I am in the United States for context.

We were looking at meraki devices for LTE/failover which looks good, with the question being how/where do I get the LTE plan/sim cards for these devices?

Cisco Meraki Z3C

I'm going to talk to a local ATT rep but not sure if there is a better way or solution for pure data devices

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The Meraki didn't work with my Verizon LTE chips for some reason. But did work with my coworkers LTE from ATT.

Either way we are going with ATT so wish me luck!!!!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
what are the best options for physical badge/FOB security that won't make me want to hang myself?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
yeah that sounds sweet, we use Okta for SSO and SAML sounds slick as hell. I'll check that out. Thanks goons. This thread owns bones.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
We're an all MacOS shop, about 40 employees. We're also a startup, and have been able to use mostly cloud native stuff using Okta and 2fa which has been great. Zero trust and all that crap, we're all remote and no central office.

However we have partners that are asking us to allow-list IP ranges of our users, which was OK when we were 3-4 people, but now is a burden and clearly not scalable. Some stuff I was looking at:

- Zscaler, which is $$$$ but doable
- Pritunl
- Tailscale
- Twingate

and a few others. Wanted to get the Gooncensus on how to approach this - we don't need Deep packet inspection or anything like that, but my goal is to be able to have users toggle a connection (or just have it always-on) without degrading performance of their day to day activity.

I'd also like to be able to have something turnkey, or if I have to launch it into Azure or something that is OK too.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Thanks Ants posted:

OpenVPN Cloud with one of the nodes deployed in Azure behind a NAT gateway and all traffic routing out of that

This is interesting. I see they support Okta/SAML as well, so this is a pretty neat solution.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What do you goons recommend for conference rooms? We're slowly building out our in person office and I'm planning two TVs with Mac Mini/Apple TV, but I'm unsure what to do about a conference/bridge phone thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah that's my plan. We don't have anything and use Google Meet... So I guess my question is more around cameras/microphone setups.