Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

Is it a common/accepted practice to run a public guest WiFi off the same firewall as the internal one(s) or should I push our contractor to keep it on a separate box? The ISP provides us multiple public IPs/ethernet ports on the router so it wouldn't be hard to just set up an extra device.
Our venue has ~250 devices (peak), 40 Unifi APs, 500 Mbit WAN and the firewall is pfsense on a quadcore machine. This of course all assumes the setup is done by certified professionals. My worry isn't so much about security but about something on the guest lan causing resource problems on the firewall that potentially takes all other internal networks down. The contractor thinks it'll be fine with one box. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

redeyes posted:

Just get a seperate router. Costs what, $100 bux at most?!

Their main argument is maintenance overhead and the fact the same WiFI will eventually provide access to the internal LANs via a seperate WPA2 encrypted SSID anyway (which I'm hesitant about due to security concerns :tinfoil:).

redeyes posted:

Yeah and what if a guest downloads the latest blockbuster movie torrent on your business IP address. Not good things anyhow.

This can easily be done with VLANs as well.

It's pretty easy to get pfsense to NAT one interface out through its own external IP (using multiple virtual IPs on one physical WAN interface) but I think you all are right despite the argument of the contractor, for now I'll sleep better knowing that the guest network is on its own box.