Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I just took the last 2003 server in our environment down, and the VP of IT asked me this afternoon to run the numbers for a new fleet of Dell Precision workstations with 8-16 GB RAM and SSDs.

I feel really bad now after reading the last page of this thread. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nah, it's a fairly small shop. The company's only about a hundred people, more than half of which are network and voice guys. So the VP of IT is really "executive for 65% of the company".

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

sneakyfrog posted:

yeah sharepoint spawned the current one.

We hired an actual sharepoint developer and I have never been happier to be free of maintaining something internally.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

There's two pots lines left in my environment and both are fax machines.

I've had enough hell with the fax machine + ATA + SIP trunk combo that I'm okay with still having them.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Not emptyquotin' this.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm doing a migration for a customer next month where I get to kill an SBS box. :unsmigghh:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Digital_Jesus posted:

Only thing that "tames" windows 10 is having enterprise licensing so you can actually turn half of it off.

To the surprise of exactly no one including the people at the tautology club, the workstation edition of an OS is the workstation edition of that OS.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Secret Server works well but the licensing model is... questionable.

Your user account licenses are separate from your per-user support licenses, but the user account licenses don't activate if there aren't an equal number of support licenses.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Now I'm hoping our label maker craps out so we can get one of those.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

email/calendar/etc - Office 365
end user hardware - don't really care as long as they're all the same vendor and that vendor isn't Lenovo
file storage - OneDrive
im and internal video conf - uhhh honestly my experience is almost entirely with Cisco so I'm not opposed to WebEx Teams
external video conf - fine we'll do WebEx
phones - we're already buying everyone a laptop they're inevitably going to cryptolocker, might as well give them an iphone they can make homegroan with
accounting - not a bean counter, don't ask me
legacy database that has no easy saas equivalent - VM in Azure, RDG to that
helpdesk - anything but spiceworks, and not OTRS unless it's my helpdesk and I'm selling them a juicy MSA for five years
huge archive files - tapes in a salt mine glacier and go with god

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah I don't think you can pass an ICC profile for an RDP session through or something like that, so that's right out.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

pixaal posted:

The only VPN isn't working call I've gotten is from people that were let go and their boss didn't call to tell them. I'm kind of wondering if I should expect that equipment back and when.

Good thing repo isn't your problem.

I hope.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Moey posted:

Look into Meraki as well. A Z3 would probably fit your needs for a firewall that can take a USB LTE modem for failover. They are pretty cheap and dead simple to manage.

List price on a Z3 + 10 years of licensing (which is probably longer than it'll be in support for / than Cisco will keep the brand alive for) is $1395 USD, which means that actual pricing is probably half that.

That's pretty drat cheap for what you need.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rick posted:

Any ideas? Really isn't an option to improve the speed without switching ISPs, which is a tough sell because the ISP is a donor.

When was the last time you updated your resume?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Synology folks: A DS418j is just a DS418 with half the RAM and a 32-bit SoC instead of a 64-bit one, right? I've got a 418j with a dead bay that I need to do a HDD migration to a 418 with and I'm pretty sure they're the same chassis with a different SoC but I'm only like, 90% positive.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

The only problem I have with deploying a local server is now you need to have "what do I do when this thing fails" sorted out.

"Suddenly take a week of vacation time you banked" is not always the answer, but sometimes it can be.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Our HRIS automatically sends an email to our service desk when HR marks someone as resigned/terminated. If someone gets shitcanned and the email doesn't come through, it's because HR hasn't done their job right, and it's always a beautiful day when you can make HR the scapegoat.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

You mean they're running XenServer on bare-metal EC2 instances :negative:

More like No Thanks Ants.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

If you want a nicer experience you can try Universal Print, assuming Xerox have some integration with that. I think the way it's licensed is a bit mad though.

I should tell my sysadmin about this. Our print infrastructure has always been a total shitshow and I think some of the execs are still complaining about the shoddy printers on their floor at HQ because our GPO based solution has proven kind of temperamental ever since full WFH started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

You're fine until you start putting the 80km optics through 2m of cable. Attenuators aren't expensive though:

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/88058.html

Oh, that's cool. I'll poke my team lead tomorrow and recommend we order a couple of those for each of our field kits.