Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Anyone have any experience with AirWatch for laptop mobile management?

We just got bought and it looks like we're moving away from our active directory setup and moving towards laptops. I need to figure out some kind of cross platform MDM solution. Meraki kind of sucks for this (we're using it for phones and it works well enough for iPhones but the Android/PC/Mac solutions kind of suck).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

incoherent posted:

I use heavily use airwatch for all my mobile devices,which are surfaces and iOS devices. The best thing about 8.1 and 10 is their MDM support built into the OS. Strongly consider standardising your platform on windows 10, as there are a lot more features to work with.

If you think you're getting away from Active directory, just stop right there. I regret not integrating my MDM with my on prem (I was a really EARLY adopter so the LDAP\AD stuff wasn't as solid as it is now) AD as it a pain managing people from two panes of glass. Eventually to full manage a windows device you'll need a AzureAD account configured as well.

Cool things:
Backs up the bitlocker key in the console
Push out standard configurations seamlessly
Bake in the MDM configurations into your Windows images using the new windows imaging toolkit.

Lame things:
Periodically tries to re-run bitlocker encryption to make sure it's encrypted (I think this is a windows limitation with no way to gracefully ask "r u locked?")
You need TWO SEPARATE windows mdm apps (one from the store, one that is a win32 app) as each provide different information back to the MDM console
Windows Mail app saying my workstation isn't compliant with regards to activesync security requirements, even though my Apple and 8.1 Windows mail apps work just fine.

E: also if you're moving wholesale to AW for your iOS devices take the time and effort to enroll your org into Apples Device Enrollment Program. It took a while to get going but I have my VAR and cellphone providers auto sending the hardware to apple to sync to my MDM, bypassing A TON of manual configurations.

That's all awesome info and thank you!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Has anyone here ever migrated from a local file server (Windows 2008 R2) to Google Drive?

It seems like using the Gdrive app won't work, and there's a plethora of lovely websites offering the service.

I guess Ideally it would be a standalone Sync app that I can install on the server to sync to the master account. Double plus bonus if it can sync local ACLs?

I need to move ~3-4TB to the "master account" and then share it out from there. If I have to do the sharing manually then so be it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

That looks like it'll work. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

User Meraki or pay for AirWatch and let people use their own phone/do what they want. BYOD owns.

I'm trying to get my boss to get rid of the company cell phone bullshit and just subsidize people's data because paying for employee phones is dumb as gently caress.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

If the trade off means that I don't have to run to the Verizon store every time a spoiled manchild throws a device, I'm willing to deal with it to some degree. Does your phone support ActiveSync? Does it sync on our wifi? Anything else is your problem.

Yep. That's what I do.

I love how the iPhone 7 gets announce and MYSTERIOUSLY everyone on the company plan is having audio issues and needs a new phone and iPhone 7 please.

Nah son, we always trail one model behind.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I would recommend just getting 2-3 5ghz WAPs and the problem will probably go away.

affordable + reliable option: https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/

Dont forget the cloud key!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

And link it up to Ubiquiti's cloud thing and use the app on your phone/tablet or a browser to check status and do config. It's good as hell.

Heck, I inherited a unifi AP here at work and took it home and run the controller off my unraid server and now I have rock solid wifi at home too.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

GargleBlaster posted:

It's certainly frustrating! At least it keeps me employed.
They've spent the last 2-3 years "postponing for another 6 months" (time and time and time again) a telephone system upgrade. It went end-of-life like 2 years ago and they've managed to fight tooth and nail and find a company that will take over the support contract for another year last time... which is almost up, with no option to renew. So it's getting to the point that they're tight fisted enough that we'll probably be running a system that if it dies, we're completely hosed and they'll have to buy one in (the cheapest poo poo possible) on an emergency basis and enjoy a week or so of being literally without telephones.

I know these feels. Our last office we were chained to a 3COM NBX and finding support was fine because I know a company that keeps stock. But yeah, HP bought them and basically said this is EOL and my bosses said "well it works!"

The company folded and we started a new one and moved to jive and are very happy with them.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

We moved to Jive and are surprisingly happy with them. 8x8 was not very good. The audio quality was especially bad for our office in Europe.

E: the app on iPhone really really sucks though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Yeah, DEP is key. I don't touch machines anymore for my company deployment.

We use Meraki because it's good enough for our needs. I'll reevaluate in a year.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Don't forget, O365 comes with OneDrive which is really not that bad. I like it better than google drive tbh.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

Google Team Drives and File Stream is a good product.

Sure, until they abandon part of it that you end up relying on. Also team drives choke on deep folder structures which sucks when your trying to copy over a server archive.

Google really needs to fix the permissions in Drive for me to like it more. It does work ok.

My point is, there's no reason to look into Box for a small 3 person company when One Drive is included with 365. At the very least, give it a try and see if it works.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The Fool posted:

This is possibly the most wrong post I’ve seen in these threads.

At the very least Exchange will be gone. Which would own.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Yes email sucks and I want it to die but I was talking more about on prem exchange which blows rear end and I'm fine with Google/365 taking over there as long as there's no legal requirement for on prem.

I mainly deal with small shops and I push every time to get people to get rid of their lovely rear end old on prem setup whenever possible.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Accounting software is like communism. It's never been done right but if someone pulled it off it would be something.

Quick books has made me pull my loving hair out on multiple occasions. Especially when Multi User is involved.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I thought intacct was the one that Does It Right (for smb)?

I've only come into contact with Quickbooks, Sage, and SAP and they're all total garbage so I don't know.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The vague errors that Quickbooks shits out with zero help from their poo poo rear end KB and the answer always being "uninstall, reboot, reinstall" was loving maddening. Along with every single .NET update breaking poo poo was insane.

Intuit is easily king of poo poo mountain for me.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

redeyes posted:

I'm not saying QB is good, I'm saying accounts want to see a QB file. Good luck!

It wasn't a shot against you, I just have PTSD from Quickbooks.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Is Meraki really that expensive? It looks kinda great for small branch office situations. I was working with one guy who had to regularly provision 10-15-staff field offices remotely in AMEA regions. He'd ship out a Meraki firewall+WAP+switch combo and a laptop running RODC+WSUS in a vm. User on site would plug it in and as soon as it phoned home he could just manage everything easily, at a low price point. Granted that's not the type of environment we typically need to operate in but in this case sounds like a good fit to me.

I'd rather go full stack Unifi. You can achieve the same thing with a preconfigured CloudKey. No bullshit licensing either.

I love Meraki's MDM but that's about it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

I agree with this 100%. Keeping new spares for anything that a user touches is a good idea. Don't reuse keyboards, mice, mouse pads, headphones - nothing. That poo poo's gross and it makes you look like a stingy, goony gently caress. And I've ran into too many places that do that. I literally walk up to a user's desk with the stuff still in the wrapping and throw away the old hardware in front of them.

I usually drop the box off at their desk and tell them to throw the old piece out or take it home. I'm not touching that garbage.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

GreenNight posted:

That's how I got it back. They tried!

Another, different, laptop:

This one is good.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ugh, wyse. Gross.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Digital_Jesus posted:

Sir this is the HR department.

Printa Nocta

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Look into check_mk / OpenNMD E: openNMS

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I forgot what I moved to but it was decent with an absolutely terrible web interface. Postini was good as hell.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

we went postini -> something terrible that I don't remember -> mxlogic. then mcafee shut down mxlogic and we did proofpoint which was garbage and now mimecast.

Mime cast was it. It's been a few years but I remember the web interface was terrible. If you hit the back button on the browser you would lose all your work. It was a good service though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Freshdesk is pretty great. We use Jira and it's horrible.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Beefstorm posted:

What do you not like about Jira? I am curious.

Maybe it's just how we use it but it's insanely complicated to use with the workflows.

We do force it into all kinds of roles though so that might have something to do with it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'd do Zoom over WebEx. It's pretty good.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

redeyes posted:

I like to give people a call on the phone so I don't have to stare at their face the whole time I am not paying attention.

Most of the time our conferences are voip only without video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I Inherited A Network

hosted mitel situation that has had qos issues since forever. there were no qos controls here at all. I put some prioritization on the edge switch, helped a little but still issues. my next is to put qos on the core switch. what else do I need to look at? I'm not a networking guy

Is there a sonicwall somewhere between your phones and mitel? They tend to mangle voip without some tweaking.