Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Anyone here use System Center Essentials? I'm only versed in the full enterprise version, but I'm curious if SCE is worth the price of admission. A side gig I work on would be a good fit from a cost/surface area perspective if it isn't gimped as gently caress.

What do you plan on using it for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Inventory and WSUS mostly.

You might want to take a look at PDQ Inventory instead then. It's a brilliant product used by plenty of goons, and the price is nice. It ties in with PDQ Deploy too, which is an excellent - and equally cheap - software deployment tool.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Office is super easy to deploy with scripts (or GPO if you have Active Directory).

There's an official guide here, but super shortly put all you need to do is:

• Download Office install package
  • run setup.exe /admin
  • Select "Create a new Setup customization file"
  • Pick the options you want
  • Save MST-file in the "Updates" directory of the office setup folder
  • Run Setup.exe on clients

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
If you have a Business Agreement can't you download Office from VLSC?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Aunt Beth posted:

If you're using a heat gun, you're doing it wrong... what components are you heat gunning?

probably broken iPad displays. Personally I stuff them in the oven instead.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Buy Dell with ProSupport, make hardware fixing Somebody Else's Problem.

This is sound advice. I've done the same and have had Dell techs go to seaside hotels to swap faulty parts when we had a user on vacation report a broken laptop. It seems expensive when you buy it, but it'll pay you back in less work and C-level goodwill when you order an on-site fix for some hotshot in a foreign country and the tech is there the next day.

Fun story from the first time I bought ProSupport from Dell: I had some machine fail and called the usual Dell Hotline, waited a few minutes and got through. When I forked over the Service Tag the tech gave me a stern talking to about how I shouldn't call the usual number because I'd have to wait in line and that was just awful! Instead I should call #New# number instead and go straight to next available tech. Then he apologized for chewing me out, we laughed a little and I got the machine fixed.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 17, 2015

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Swink posted:

Will it be worth a look then? Is the consumer version less poo poo?

The consumer version is surprisingly decent. The business version is utter, utter crap. We're using Office 365 for our schools and OneDrive is borderline malicious.

MS promised a revised OneDrive client this month which should solve most of the current problems, but I'm not holding my breath.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Halo14 posted:

Make sure you do a sfc /scannow immediately after upgrading. But yeah it's best to avoid doing the upgrade. Clean install is best.

People actually upgrade computers to a new OS rather than reinstall? (in a business). *shudder*

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Just signed up for a crashplan trial for our file server. We do a backup to a NAS, then a backup we take offsite, but an online would be nice.

staring with 80GB of home directories and 250GB of everything else later on. 16 days to upload!

I've been using Crashplan at home for years, and can warmly recommend it. If you're impatient regarding your upload speeds there should be some tips to increase it if you google around. It's been a while since I've bothered with that since I've already got all my stuff backed up. I just set up the new computer, and then remove the backup of the old one once the new one's done. :v:
In short: Read your status mails, and if they're fine just forget about it.

(I have a total of ~6.1 TB backed up over 4 computers)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Riso posted:

Yes, you are supposed to give DCs a fixed address to avoid that.

IIRC you can't even promote a server to DC if it's using DHCP.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

pixaal posted:

Usually you use security filtering if you just want to dump the GPO at the top highest level (domain root, or building) and add users to a group to get them what they need. While it's nice that everyone in sales needs the sales drive, the CFO also needs the sales drive, and oh now billy the new shipping manager used to work in sales, he'll need access sometimes too!

It just removes that entire headache if you add that to root, add the sales security group to the Sales Drive Security filter (or to Drive - S Sales Group if you want to keep the filter to only a single line)

There's two ways to do GPOs using OUs and using security filters, using both is kind of silly pick one. It might depend on the GPO, I find printers and drives always have exceptions and if you try to do it with OUs you end up with an OU for each user after a few years of making exceptions.

I usually assign printers and drives through preferences.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Anyone using the one drive "next gen" client? Is it good?

I just deployed it to ~3000 school PCs. I'll get back to you when the next academic year starts. :ohdear:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

pixaal posted:

...and if they hyper visor runs no services you can run up to 2 copies of that version of server as VMs under the license. If they host runs any service or software that is not Hyper-V it consumes one of your VM licenses.

I'm not quite understanding this. Can you explain that a bit further?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

GigaFuzz posted:

Windows Server Standard allows you to install Windows Server as a Hyper-V host (only), then run two Windows Server VMs on that host, all under one license. If you use the bare-metal Hyper-V install for anything else, you can only have 1 VM.

Got it!

I "won" handling all the licensing crap at my workplace, but I'm only versed in Hyper-V Datacenter Server / cluster licensing.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

incoherent posted:

Remember: you need one for every device that hits your Windows server DHCP service.

..including printers.

No, I'm not kidding.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Beefstorm posted:

Engage the Microsoft Fast Track Center. They have a team that will walk you through the integration.

There's a minimum license commitment. But I believe you hit it.

I think the minimum is 100, but yea.

If you do use Fast Track be prepared to get a TON of calls from Bulgarian peeps who want you to sit in on hour long close-to-useless Powerpoint presentations via Skype before you get to the meat of the matter.

pixaal posted:

Small shop, what ticket system :v:

Honestly we're small enough that I'm rarely doing helpdesk stuff and most of my week is filled with projects meetings and keeping the servers running.

Years and years ago I set up a Liberum install for our small shop. It worked pretty OK (for small places!). Disclaimer: I have no idea if it will work nowadays, but it's super easy to set up so take five minutes and try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Beefstorm posted:

It even connects to active directory so we can store the card information in there. A weird feature, but useful none the less. (So I guess it's not very weird then...)

That's just a good system. Disable the user in AD, and their keys get locked out too (I assume). That sounds like a great feature to me.