Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I just got laid off from my NOC/Sysadmin (really sysadmin, but our titles were in the NOC) job at a very very large MSP datacenter, and honestly I kinda want to find a small shop to work for. So much poo poo is done wrong because "that's how it's always been done" at my old job and I feel like in a small shop at least I might have some possibility of the higher ups actually listening to me and implementing changes that will, you know, increase productivity. And decrease downtime. And maybe make stuff secure, because... well let's just say that I wasn't completely comfortable with the security at my previous job.

Depends on the shop but most smaller shops never have enough people to cover their clients, clients who never want to pay to do anything properly so you have the dreams and freedom do things right but not the time or resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

McDeth posted:

Is it a one-off case? If so, then I'd say you have the ideal solution. There's no reason to go out and spend abhorrent amounts of money on some virtualized solution or equipment for this one guy to be able to use Indesign from home. Unless you're expecting to scale out I honestly wouldn't worry about it. If so, the only real answer is GRID/Shield (somewhat joking here).

On another note, the 'Mac Only' shop has invested in their first PC Laptop! Yay! Say what you will about MacBook's and Mac OS X, the crapware is non-existent, which unfortunately, cannot be said about this loving HP EliteBook. It's honestly a joke; I'm sitting here on a brand new account having done nothing other than turn the loving thing on and log in and it's using 50% CPU.

What's the verdict on HP-installed bloatware? Nuke it from orbit or is it worth keeping?

No business should run the bloated OS installs that companies sell you, make a nice prepped clean image.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

dox posted:

You're living in fantasy land. It seems a lot of businesses under 75-100 users buy OEM machines and manually set them up, especially if they are serviced by an MSP. It's just too much overhead to maintain a unique image for each client, not to mention the fact that clients think buying a volume license of Windows isn't beneficial.

What you do in this case is use MDT with a variety of scripts (such as my HP Bloatware removal script) and it automates the entire setup process (Ninite, bloatware removal, updates) as a Post-OS Install Task Sequence.

For those of you interested, here is my HP Bloatware Removal Powershell script.

I work for a msp and this is exactly what we do its not that bad at all even for our small clients. You don't even need volume licensing we just use abr to migrate the activations automatically. Mdt or wds don't take long at all to setup and the benefits are worth it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

adorai posted:

how thin are msp margins that it makes sense to do that yourself?

India phone/remote support and the random starting out of people's garage companies are running prices into the ground in many markets. We've had several customers go to those and come back several months later with horror stories.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Beefstorm posted:

What is everyone's thoughts on N-Able/N-Central? I've been playing with the trial and its really nice. Seems to do a lot of stuff for you.

Plus that automation engine is pretty nice.

Highly dislike, their remote desktop tool is awful, everything you want to do feels like a surcharge, want to run scripts on your Computers surcharge, want decent inventory reports, also surcharge. It is super easy to setup and install at the very least and their automation tool is kinda innovative I will give them that but we did a year contract and are certainly not renewing it. Actual monitoring isn't too bad it's the same SNMP/ up/down stuff every RMM does, it does have issues with our ESX servers it can't read the drives right I suspect that is a config issue on our end.