Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Central font management!

We have a team of about 10 people who work on Macs with InDesign and need to share fonts amongst each other. Right now people just source their fonts individually and I'd like to provide a solution to centrally manage them, e.g. have a central server that has all the fonts and whenever someone adds a new font everyone can access it.

I've used Extensis Suitcase Fusion before and it looks like they have a Universal Type Server that will do the trick, but it's $1400 and I want to spend like, $500. Are there other options?

Server side needs to be a Windows VM or it's going to have to be one of the iMac workstations :(

UTS Lite is pretty much the only product that is standalone. You'll also eat it on upgrades if you use Creative Cloud, because you'll need to upgrade the client every year to maintain compatibility with the latest adobe apps.

It is agnostic, and the windows server version will happily serve mac clients and deal with mac type 1 fonts.

If you have creative cloud team edition, and you actually care about font licensing, you can take a look at Adobes Typekit offering. Fonts purchased/licensed there should be available across all team members. I never went that route, so you will need to research and confirm it will suit your needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BonoMan posted:

I'm at home for the second so I'll get this all when I get back to the office but I should note that the ONLY thing they need access to is the files served on the very QNAP that is running the VPN. And that they won't "work" from it. Only pull files from time to time when they need a logo or reference to something we've done in the past. They don't need access to anything else on our network. Just the QNAP. Is the QVPN still a bad solution for that?

Basically "hey I need the Illustrator project for this" "oh it's on the client drive in their folder."

This is an outright lie. They are going to link that poo poo into InDesign and whine incessantly about how badly it performs and how much Indesign will lock up, because adobe products are extremely bad at dealing with slow network connections.

You need to cloud host these files. If you already have Creative Cloud, you should look at expanding the space there and putting them all online.

If you don’t use adobe products, any number of cloud + agent storage solutions like Dropbox/box/ etc will work a lot better and have way more features.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Moey posted:

I'm just starting a rollout with Carbon Black and I don't hate it yet.

We run a very large Carbon Black deployment, and as long as you understand what it does, it’s actually pretty good for controlling ‘unknown’ applications.

Fireeye we have had less luck with, it’s a very heavy client with high resource demands. Not popular inside the company.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Frohike999 posted:

Ok thanks, yeah my initial thought was to tell them to rewrite it to allow for multiple users but realistically that's not going to happen. Ok, well thanks again for the suggestions.

Are these processes running on each workstation, or on some central server(s)?

Perhaps the application could be made to write its logs somewhere shared, or otherwise update its status to a shared location?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

I wish more helpdesks would make it easy to set a “resolved” state when the ticket is complete, send out the notifications or whatever, and then close it a few days later and remove the option to re-open at that time.

It’s the only reliable way to prevent someone just replying to their last case update when they have a new unrelated issue.

Our system does this.

What is does not do is let you (easily) search for a user and get a list of their currently open tickets, sorted newest first. Service-Now is weird.