Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I love audits that come in with questions at the level where they think we're some gigantic corporate entity that's susceptible to something like SOX, HIPPA, PCI. Like yeah, I'm going to fill out your 500 question tech audit with anything but a big marker and LOL scribbled over it. Our IT department and the necessary administrative staff would need to be bigger than our entire company.

We are not a publicly traded company, but we are still subject to certain SOX-like regulations. It blew me away when I found out that our accounting team is the biggest department in this office, and there are multiple people who's only job is to make sure we are always in 100% compliant to these regulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

sneakyfrog posted:

goddamn it the deeper i look.

8 licenses of win2k16

WHY?

Because windows server is licensed by core now.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Essentials is a dumpster fire though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

That labor line item lists exchange and rds but there is no software or licenses listed.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

sneakyfrog posted:

yeah thats an 8 core.

16 cores is the minimum license amount.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

I was hoping to get some insight and see if you guys might be able to tell me why the IT company made the recommendations they did.

We can pick apart the quote until the cows come home, but if you want real advice we need to know more about the existing environment, what software is used, workflows, etc.

quote:

The same office, the owner is currently using a personal Outlook.com/Office 365 account so as to sync info w/ his Outlook and whatnot.

Get O365 with a custom domain and never look back.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

Start moving your users into the Mail and Calendar active sync apps imo. I don't think Outlook will be a thing by 2020.

This is possibly the most wrong post I’ve seen in these threads.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

At the very least Exchange will be gone. Which would own.

Wtf is wrong with you people.

On prem exchange isn’t going anywhere anytime soon either.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

OSTs is for online cache of exchange mailbox but they're talking about IMAP from gmail so it would use a PST

FWIW, outlook 2013+ uses ost for imap too

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

You could set up your workstations to autologin as a locked down user account with a single shortcut to connect to the RDS server on the desktop/taskbar/start menu labeled "LOG IN" and train your users to click it. That would be fairly seamless.

This is how a lot of thin clients work.

To make it even smoother, you can set the RDP session to launch automatically.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I had done some testing with Amanda at a previous job, but never put it in production: http://amanda.zmanda.com

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Rick posted:

Maybe I should just spin up a little internal php app for this, it would probably ultimately be less work if I can't make this go.

Normally I recommend against rolling your own solutions unless you have a real team to support it, but this is probably the best solution as nearly anything is better than a lovely access dB.

That being said, if you do roll your own solution, make triple sure that you migrate the balances correctly and any balance changes are audited, because even if it’s not real money, lots of people take their fake money point balances very seriously.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

I've only come into contact with Quickbooks, Sage, and SAP and they're all total garbage so I don't know.

There is also Cougar Mountain and Peachtree, but they are also garbage.

I’ve heard freshbooks is good, but I’ve never supported it and it’s a cloud service.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Did you know that if you're installing Quickbooks from a CD, that the install time will be 50%-80% shorter if you copy the contents of the CD to the local HD first, then run the installer from that folder?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

redeyes posted:

CD? It's all downloads from here.

Sorry, that was more of a "Quickbooks is bad" anecdote than any useful advice today, since Intuit's primary distribution method has been digital downloads for at least 5 years now.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Office specifically has special install instructions and licensing for use on an RDS server.

Some other applications have similar special considerations, and others may not work at all.

Some will work just fine with no difference between the rds install and a regular install.

Unless the application installs for single user (chrome can do this, as an example ) you generally only install once on the server and every user has access to the application.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

That’s not an apples-to-apples comparison though

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My biggest issue with Meraki is the total lack of site-to-site vpn support.

If you're not using their AutoVPN, you are a third world country.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Apparently some people in another team are dealing with the site to site VPN issue with meraki . I don’t know all the details but something about he couldn’t connect to more than one site at once (one of the sites being azure)

Moey posted:

Really? I have over a dozen sites connected with site to site VPN via Merkai.

The issues that I've personally ran into:
1. Doesn't support IKEv2
2. Doesn't support data lifetimes
3. Can't route non-meraki subnets across auto-vpn networks
4. All networks in a tag try to connect to a non-meraki vpn automatically and constantly.

3 and 4 combine to make the situation where if you want multiple sites to be able to connect to an off-site data center (or azure) you need to have a unique configuration for each site at both ends of the vpn.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yes, but at least the rest API has endpoints for the firewall rules.

No such luck for the VPNs.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The drop in reliability is caused by an increase of complexity, not a lack of manufacturing standards. Manufacturing standards have always been lovely. If anything, the manufacturing process is better now due to improved tooling being available for cheaper.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

I don't hate Win 10 that much aside from all the settings menus and the actual setup of it.

So, really everything that pertains to my job.

Do you not use MDT, or some other imaging platform?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've never used it but my impression has always been "Too Enterprise For My Clients"

I’m at a small enterprise company and it’s still too enterprise for us.

MDT is still worth using for deployments.

Other stuff, use PDQ

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If you’re an O365 shop, check out Defender ATP

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

At $oldJob we had a number of clients using https://www.acroprint.com/ time clocks, they worked fine.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Tapedump posted:

Thank you, but I should have specified a network fingerprint unit, and acroPrint’s are USB exfil only.

QuickBooks integration would be neat, though CSV is just fine, too.

I appreciate your input, though.

Sorry, http://www.timeqplus.com/options/ is an acroprint model line, I don’t know why it isn’t listed on the acroprint website.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jack the Lad posted:

What do you all use to report on Windows Updates?

WSUS or PDQ Inventory

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Digital_Jesus posted:

Get a separate box to run veeam for vm backups then use a cloud service to offsite your veeam backups.

Works like a charm. Though Im not hot on crashplan myself, I have other offsite backup hosts.

I run Veeam locally and then use Azure storage sync to get my backups into Azure.

I even do test restores directly from azure storage over smb and it works fine.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hollow Talk posted:

My dream of collaborative Excel seems so much more achievable now! :downs:

https://www.smartsheet.com/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Might as well https://office.live.com/start/Excel.aspx

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I need to put in a UPS in a tiny office. Are there any good 1-2U UPS appliances? In place: 1 firewall, 1 WAP, 1 server doing DNS/DHCP/SMB file share (it's running on a desktop lol) I'd really only need enough juice to power this for 15 minutes.

we usually get apc smartups but idk if there's something better I should be looking at

Last couple of times I've needed to buy a UPS I've just used the APC selector tool: http://www.apc.com/us/en/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gerdalti posted:

I just got a casual request to make sure we're HIPAA compliant. I don't even know where to start, but we're a small shop with 2 IT people who have never had to be HIPAA compliant, so I can assure you we're not.

Just write an internal policy that says that you treat customer data with confidentiality and you're done.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PDQ Inventory 16 was released yesterday.

It has an installable agent for computers that are outside of your network.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Document everything, automate as much as possible.

The more you are able to automate, the more standardized your environment becomes, the less time you have to worry about putting out fires and the more time you can spend on meaningful projects.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Moey posted:

Use anything but spiceworks.

As a current spiceworks hostage, I can get behind this sentiment.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

Doesn't Domain Users allow read access to just about everything in AD by default?

Yes

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

One of our subsidiaries recently evaluated a bunch of options and selected ViewPoint ( https://viewpoint.com/ )

I'm not involved in the implementation, but haven't heard any horror stories.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

There's loads of really decent little products to take care of various aspects of business and customer management, but a huge amount of them are "what's SAML?" and it's annoying as gently caress

My experience has been "SAML is an enterprise feature and we need an extra couple thousand a month"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have a Brother PT-H300 that I have had zero problems with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

El Grillo posted:

Cheers both. Bloke either didn't know what he was doing or just didn't want to do it. Sorted now though. I've been in his position so I don't exactly blame him that much lol

I would, giving out blatantly wrong information when you don’t know the right answer is one of the worst things we can do.