Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sharzak posted:

Patrolling this thread almost makes me wish for a nuclear winter

This is the thread I deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

They should do that Fallout game set in Florida that got cancelled. I would buy that.

Mutant gators and pythons?

I'd play it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Zzulu posted:

animations are mostly artist based and not engine based

also i tried google image searching "skyrim animations" and got a lot of skyrim beastiality animations :psyduck:

Mods are bad, man. Mods are bad. Come over to the game mods thread we have sights for you to see.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

sout posted:

Yeah, it definitely leads to a lot of save scumming if you can be arsed to waste a few minutes to pass a 10% speech check that gets you 50 caps or whatever.
By the way, was it possible in Fallout 1 and 2 to break locks? Because I made a serious effort never to force locks in 3/NV because of it.

It absolutely was possible to break locks if you hosed up.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mortimer posted:

The fact that you think "Go to X and find Y" quests have any kind of potential is kinda weird dude

Radiant Quests were seriously the single dumbest design choice in Skyrim.

Especially with the quest compass.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I don't know why you guys are arguing over what caused the war, Mothership Zeta made it clear it was the little aliens :confused:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know why everyone says that. The bit that 'confirms' such a thing literally has the guy refusing to give out the codes and dying seconds later.

Because we think it's funny :ssh:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Sheen Sheen posted:

Oh, and everyone complaining about this game will buy it and put 100s of hours into it and blah blah blah

Of course we will but making fun of it for however long until release is more fun than just going OH LOOK AT HOW COOL THIS IS

Also there's currently nothing but a lame trailer that could just as well have been for fallout 3 so it doesn't actually have anything cool to talk about

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's linear in the sense that there are critter walls trying to make you follow the main quest path and around New Vegas you get the opportunity to just poo poo all over probability and get a ton of equipment and make those things not matter anymore.

Dead Money is excellent

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Because they get in the way mostly. The quest are alright, but FO3 was my first fallout game, and I really enjoyed wandering around by myself trying not to get murdered; these games are way more fun in general if you disable fast travel, and turn gun damage way the gently caress up. Can't do that with companions that run into the line of fire for no reason.

But that's an AUTHENTIC FALLOUT EXPERIENCE, maaaaaaan.

Also authentic is getting murdered by Ian because you gave him a 10mm SMG and got between him and an enemy :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I guess maybe you might trust house with the city rather than yourself or the NCR?

I never really finished FNV properly.

Well going your own way leaves the problem where Yes-Man is in charge of a legion of beefed securitrons and you really have no idea what he's gonna do with them I guess.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also, Marcus has a super good point about Caesar. He talks a good talk, but it dies with him. Just look at the rear end in a top hat who ends up in charge if you let him die.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Hahaha :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

The Legate is pretty badass, its also very rewarding to talk him down in the final boss level then again it was also fun to talk down the Master in FO1. I like boss fights that can be resolved in ways that don't involve brute force

Yeah, I mostly meant that no one else share's Caesar's actual vision because he never loving told anybody, so everybody else is just going to blindly bash their way through the Wasteland, hating and fearing medicine and technology rather than growing to use it like Caesar intended.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

My favorite thing about Anchorage is how grabbing the unique power armor could auto complete the quest to get the other t-51b power armor :mmmhmm:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

2house2fly posted:

He probably figures that an important part of his synthesis is that the participants aren't aware it's happening.

Maybe, but that sort of plan could really use a Foundation-style select secret order who actually understand the point.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Obsidian is better at detailed worlds and questlines than Bethesda, Bethesda is better at total open fuckarounddowhatever games. Obsidian is more likely to actually try the detailed things and sometimes they work, and sometimes you get a Dead Money where there's some seriously amazing atmosphere and plot going on buried behind piss-annoying mechanics. Bethesda tries for massive amounts of fuckarounddowhatever and tries to make it so that you can go wherever do whatever and that sometimes results in stupid poo poo like Oblivion's level scaling.

e: I don't know where I was going with this post anymore.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Am I the only person here who liked everything about Dead Money? I thought the tension was kept up through the whole thing, and the sense of uncovering the mystery of the Sierra Madre never got old on repeated playthroughs, at least for me.

I actually like everything too but a lot of people hated them. Well actually I take that back, I despise a couple of the radios in the very last sequence that make it a pain in the rear end. I like the way they make it really tense but it's still pretty annoying.

e: Also the ability to just auto dismember Ghost People when you kill them if you talk to Dog is a goddamn cheat that shouldn't be there but that's super nitpicky.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Gonna try to cash in on Mad Max and get Tom Hardy to voice somebody.

e: But unironically I do hope that they stick a Doof Warrior mural someplace :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

That was probably related to why it occasionally just did no goddamn damage at all, though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I remember a lot of people wanted Troika to get the IP but given how absolutely boneheaded Troika were with the business side of things, I don't think it would have helped much as they'd still have trouble finding a publisher. I think it was a little too early for Obsidian to buy the rights from Interplay too since they were relatively unproven and working on KOTOR 2 at the time.

Personally I prefer my games to be remotely playable.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

With our new Radiant Everything Engine, as soon as you start the game everybody dies and everything explodes. The world of Fallout 4 is very volatile, it's like a house of cards or a very intricate domino arrangement and just by entering the game world you set off a chain of events that kills off all life in a matter of seconds. Dogs run off with food, merchants kill the dogs, rats eat the dogs, rats get dog radiation poisoning, rats explode, the explosions kill people, other people get radiation sickness, then pet their dogs, and so the cycle continues.

Better than Fallout 3.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ehhh I'm still a fan of the angry people talking to you but somehow forcing conversation from forever away on the other side of a rock.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

is three dog going to be in this game. i really hope three dog isn't in this game.

It's his illegitimate love child, Four Cats.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Watch them not even have any boston accents and this be the most disappointing fallout.

If it's anything like the pitt it'll have accents from somewhere nearby that sound totally different.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

uhhh fallout 3 has a 91 metacritic and new vegas only an 84, clearly bethesda is better than obsidian at making fallout games

_________________\|

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

crawlkill posted:

which as you probably know cost Obsidian royalties on the game (they needed an 85 or something to get royalties, which is, and they admit it, an INSANE way to do business). they ended up having to lay a bunch of people off over that. so EVEN THE ONE GOOD THING TO HAPPEN TO FALLOUT SINCE BETHESDA CAME ALONG HAS A SOUR TASTE TO IT.

the really irritating thing is that New Vegas is just "Fallout 3 improved in every way." it's crazy that the score is lower, and I hate that we live in this world.

Yeah that contract was idiotic and it hosed them out of royalties and pretty much any chance of doing another game for Bethesda.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mothership Zeta is great there's nothing like an appallingly slow spacesuit sequence and then getting stuck because you decided to make a friendly robot and now it's frantically trying to open a door and causing a dialogue window to pop up every second

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

BillBear posted:

I know NV is way better at questing than 3 but I feel like 3 can do some really cool quests when it wants to. Tenpenny's tower's quest is awesome because there is assholes and good people on both sides and no matter what you do you end up loving poo poo up because the leadership of both groups are terrible. I felt like I did good when I merged the ghouls with the humans but felt like poo poo when I came back to realize Roy simply murdered all the humans and dumped them in the cellar. Poor Dashwood. :(

I forget, does Roy turn immortal once you finish it? Otherwise you could just kill him immediately.

...I still like that he tosses Tenpenny off the tower though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I did have a burning annoyance that the ammo types were stuck as the second hotkey option. :argh:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

I have no idea why Bethesda is even developping games. It's obvious they're out of their league.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

But seriously they're really good at making games where I can gently caress around and mod things to do whatever, but I would like it if they hired some competent writers for their own stuff. I hear writers are pretty desperate and aren't very expensive.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

RPGs I don't mind, Neverwinter Nights is a lot of fun (assuming you play a spellcaster) but fallout suffers I think from trying to have a numbers based game with an FPS interface.

Essentially it has some of the same problems Morrowind had. I'm hoping that with Skyrim and FNV the game might be more of an FPS with RPG elements rather than an RPG with an FPS interface.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're not talking about the original campaign because that's the most tedious poo poo.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

You remember how the original campaign started with you collecting the ingredients for the plague cure?

Yeah just do that I think three more times. Also there's some lizard people hiding from an ice age inside a rock, and they're trying to get out of the rock to take over the world again.

It's... it's not good.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Fallout 3 was just woefully unambitious in its story which is why you got some weird greatest hits of fallout 1 and 2

WATER

GECK

ENCALVE AND SUPER MUTANTS OH NOOOOOOOOOOO

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Here's a theory: Bethesda had no idea what to do with the setting and ended up making a lot of mistakes in regards to world/lore huilding

I feel like they're just too afraid to take any risks and that's why you get bland poo poo like:

MEHRUNES DAGON

SOME REHASHES OF THINGS INTERPLAY DID FOR FALLOUT 1+2, FEAT. POPULAR ACTOR LIAM NEESON

HEY GUYS ELDER SCROLLS HAS DRAGONS NOW

good lord bethesda just actually try to write something interesting

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

i mean their games sell really well because people like loving around in a world

but when people typically just ignore your main quests you should probably like, i dunno

consider trying harder on them

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Filthy Casual posted:

Or continue having a lame main quest and have all the other stuff be that much better.

ah yes a tactic that lead to great strides such as guild quests that take an hour each and then fart around with radiant quests for the rest of forever

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I mean for gently caress's sake Radiant Quests are basically the Fighter's Guild in Oblivion except that actually ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

FutonForensic posted:

Dragons were part of ES since 1998.

Yeah I know but they weren't like, the centerpiece.

• Locked thread