Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dunno about Fallout 4 but Fallout Shelter is pretty decent. I like it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone playing Fallout Shelter? I can't seem to get my 14th dweller. All of my women are pregnant, so maybe it's designed to not give me the 14th until they all pop.

Make sure you also have residential rooms. New guys don't show up to the door very much unless you have a radio to call them over every couple of hours.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They had that big base in Fallout 3 and were prepping to take over territory in Fallout 2; they already had the Navarro base on the continent. But basically they were overly concerened with mutation and were convinced they were the only real humans left so they were even more isolationist than the Brotherhood, so territory-grabbing took a backseat to "keep the United States, all one of them, pure"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Institute being a major player as was hinted in Fallout 3 might be pretty cool. I am all up for entirely new factions that aren't riffs on old ones appearing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, I think that's kind of the point of the Enclave. They're remnants of something much bigger than they are, convinced they're still just as big as they used to be. If they're pathetic it's intentional. But they're not so pathetic that they can't totally ruin your day with pristine pre-War tech.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Haha. In Fallout Shelter I had to restart because my last vault had a bug that kept crashing it.

So in the new Vault I get a Lunchbox early and who pops out of it but James, the hero's father from Fallout 3. He's Level 33 and good at everything.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If food ever becomes a thing in Fallout 4 I hope they bring back the Them's Good Eatin' perk. I loved that thing. Blow up enemies, get food off their bodies.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The new 10mm pistol looks like a pre-modded That Gun. At the least, it looks pretty nifty.

This game is going to make me go crazy in a good way.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

FronzelNeekburm posted:

What's wrong with bat-blacking?! We like it very much!

...Prince of Space reference outta nowhere!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm still curious about the ability to set up caravans between your mini-towns and turrets and other stuff you can make. This is something you don't see in a lot of games period, much less a sprawling RPG like Fallout.

Even if you can only build in designated areas it's going to be pretty interesting.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Am I allowed to say that I just liked the setting of Morrowind at least? It skewed pretty far from Generic European Fantasy World with its architecture, alien wildlife and so on.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One thing that was NOT BS about Morrowind was that completing the main story quest caused an entire class of enemies around the world to die. I liked that.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

This owns. I like Elijah trashing the PipBoy in Dead Money too.

Taking the piss out of the conventions of your own medium is pretty important. Elijah calling your PipBoy a leash that tells you what to do and where to go was a great attack on the necessary evil of objective markers in giant open worlds. I loved it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, looks like the first perk for INT-1 is objective markers.

I wonder what the benefits of pacifying enemies will be. Maybe nonlethal solutions to situations where assholes decide to try to fight you anyway? Hmm.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Animal Friend in NV was great for getting so many annoying enemies off your back, though. There was an entire level of Old World Blues you could walk through because Animal Friend made nightstalkers not attack you.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wondering about running a high-CHA character that looks like Tina Turner. I mean, you can set up caravans, clearly, you run Bartertown.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

GuyUpNorth posted:

Or it's really that Midwestern chapter. I haven't touched Tactics ever, what kind of assholes are they compared to Hardin of Mojave chapter?

Depends on whether or not General Barnaky is in charge of them. If you choose the ending where he becomes the new comptroller brain of Vault Zero, he ushers in a horrible era of oppression against tribals, genetic deviants and anything else that doesn't match his definition of perfection.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah. The Brotherhood were a product of the times that formed them. When they started out they were a bunch of military guys holding onto a huge stockpile of lasers and plasma weapons, the kind of thing you do NOT want bandits to get ahold of, and so their boss handed down commandments that they were never, ever, EVER supposed to share them and should police up any other dangerous tech they knew of. When they started out the world was exclusively full of mowhawked maniacs and themselves, but as time passed, the rest of the world started actually rebuilding, making their mission obsolete. So now a lot of them are just plain assholes who are just justifying keeping all the shineys to themselves.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Heh heh, if I were in charge of silly Fallout quest stories...

I'd have one be the quest for the first color television screen. Punchline: All broadcasts are still in black and white so it's no good.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Obsidion gets a lot of credit from me for turning Nevada into a sandbox of adventure with story-continuity between the settlements. "Shandification," as they call it, where the setting IS the story.

Not to say that Bethesda can't do Shandification themselves, it just depends on who's running the project. Morrowind was pretty Shandified.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

computer parts posted:

That's like how The Smurfs and (I think) Man of Steel made back all of their money before the films even came out due to merchandising tie ins.

Worked for Star Wars.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

After Old World Blues you are a cyborg. Hah. Even going back to "normal" didn't leave you unupgraded.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

7c Nickel posted:

Newest generation of android! BIOROIDS! It's not slavery cause we didn't use human dna!

Hell, Fallout 3 bioroids are explicitly a thing, remember the whole questline about them?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, you always get the vibe from the games and media that it was happy-go-lucky, but if you look at timelines, there was some pretty heavy poo poo going on, even at home. Adding some weight to the pre-war situation will be interesting.

Old World Blues is on the surface humorous and funny but there is some seriously disturbing poo poo going on in the background if you look hard enough. There's an internment camp there with explosive collars!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nasgate posted:

Who? I have never tried killing everyone.

Also hoping for the Blade runner overcoat. And/or a synthetic animal shop.

The two immortal characters are Yes Man, who just transfers to a new robot body, and the Protectron running the Gun Runner weapon vendor stall. Everyone else can be killed at a certain point. House is seemingly indestructible but you can find his hiding place and take him out once you have access to him. Caesar lives in a fortified military camp but you can blow him away the moment you meet him, or at a time of your choosing. The president? Nothing stopping you from deliberately flubbing preventing his assassination. Or carrying it out yourself, depending on who you work for.

Most of the rest of the game's story adapts to this. If you just kill everyone important you default to the Yes Man ending where he sets you up as ruler by default.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lotish posted:

Yeah if there's one thing I abused the everloving gently caress out of in New Vegas it was chems. Give me a perk tree that's all about using and abusing and I'm there.

I think there was a Trait in New Vegas that capped you at level 30, but made you totally immune to chem addiction. It was a Logan's Run reference.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Eh, instead of horses they could always have horrifying mutant lizards to ride around on, Star Wars style.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Most of the important and interesting plot beats of Skyrim weren't advertised either, were they? Things like Nazi Elves and whatnot.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yes, but will he be better than D-Dog? I think not.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

A ghoul in power armor who repeatedly insists that he's a robot despite mounting evidence to the contrary.

Hahahahaahaa, this is legit a great idea for a Fallout companion. Or even just an NPC. I love it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

AriadneThread posted:

everyone left alive in boston is your descendant

Ah, so we're Genghis Khan.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CHA having perks for going solo is interesting. I kinda like it, actually, gives you tactical flexibility. More friends, more benefits, no friends, different benefits?

If this game takes at least ONE page from New Vegas I hope it's Companion Perks and their Loyalty Quests. Here's hoping.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fallout 3 had great setpieces and good visual impact when you hit the wasteland. I also remember there was one room that was basically, "Hey, guys, we made a physics engine!" with a Rube Goldberg booby trap in it. I kinda liked that.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

According to the wiki, the four perks of Lady Killer/Man Hunter give you a bonus to persuasion at one level, intimidation at the second level, and deception at the third.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I suppose it's the difference between being able to reason with someone who's stubborn and the ability to completely smokescreen someone with made-up bullshit.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Survival is by no means a necessary skill in New Vegas but dammit I love some of its perks.

Especially Them's Good Eatin'. Why, yes, I do like getting healing items off of almost everything I destroy!

(Though it's weird that its healing items do not, as the name implies, count as food for Hardcore purposes...)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tried booting up New Vegas again. ... Didn't click. Maybe I've played so much New Vegas I'm still burnt out on it, maybe I keep forgetting how drat boring Goodsprings is compared to everything else.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Police Automaton posted:

Wasn't that also in FO3? How's that new?

Ssssort of. Rad Child regenerated the damage on your limbs and maybe your health, and Atomic! made you faster while in radiated areas, but radiation sickness could kill debuff and kill you. If this perk makes you totally immune to the downsides of radiation, however...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I had nothing to worry about before I saw those videos. Jeez. Yeah, definitely not pre-ordering THIS one... might wait for the actual reviews to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Whatever. I'm just gonna kill some robo-scorpions and lobotomites on behalf of five hilariously deranged brains.

• Locked thread