Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

strong bird posted:

Reported you loving monster. Enjoy your time in fart gently caress hell. Nobody kills a dog.

what kinda soft serve bitch made princess playthrough did you do in nv?

need dat dog brain for my robo pooch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
why boston?

DC was the capitol and had historic landmarks.

vegas was cool cause of the elvis crew and the mr house story.

there is nothing interesting or likeable about boston.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

What if...all of your dialogue was dad jokes, making it superior to Bethesda's usual writing

Only option for body type is "Dad Bod"

Female characters get a selection of mom jeans to chose from.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

It's possible and that's definitely something to talk about when the game is released if it isn't there but as of now I'm just assuming it is.

I hope it is; I almost never take it but it is funny to see people go 'wait wait I thought I'd be pounding sliz why are dudes hitting on me now?'

Why would it be in Fallout 4? NV was made by Obsidian. It's never been a perk in any of the Bethesda games. I think it's safter to assume it's NOT going to be in the game.

Also there's no relationship mechanic in any of the Fallout games and I can still bang a dude and a dude robot without the confirmed bachelor perk so it's pretty meaningless.

e-

It's meaningless if you're using it in a sexual identity kinda way.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sylink posted:

hey guys you aren't entitled to anything sorry

gently caress you I'm entitled to having my shotgun casings eject from the gun in a realistic way in my game with lasers, gently caress robots, ghouls, and aliens.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

this is not a promising trend for bethesda games to take, though. even if there was a plot twist that invalidates that history, it'd require a spoiler to clear up what your history is, and some people just don't like spoilers.

even in the elder scrolls the unique thing about them was that you could be a viking that farts fire on his way to victory or a self-hating foofy elf who is also a cocaine addict and the plot just wouldn't contradict either of those outcomes.

Yeah, but Bethesda can make whatever game they want to. It's not like Mass Effect where there's a relationship mechanic that is part of the core gameplay and influences a ton of other stuff in the game.

Player sexual identity has never been a part of the Fallout games beyond having sex with prostitutes or being fisted (or fist?) a robot named Fisto. And given F4 is the first game where they're explicitly giving the player a backstory including marriage, I don't see the point in adding the option to be gay. It would have made more sense to have it in the previous games where you play more of a clean slate character, but there's already a backstory in this, so getting all riled up like that person did a few pages back is kinda pointless.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

Orientation was a thing in New Vegas. You had two gay companions, and if you chose the perk to be gay there were a handful of really interesting dialog options that would become available that fleshed out the world in a really interesting way. The different factions had different thoughts on homosexuality, and different characters had views too.

So basically, New Vegas was one step removed from disgusting furry pandering bullshit I guess?

If people think relationships are a bad idea in this kind of game... They are! If people are wary of Bethesda treating romance with any sort of grace or competence... I am too!

Basically all I have to say on the subject is that New Vegas got it right, and it would be cool if Fallout 4 followed suit. It's a pity that is apparently seen as some sort of laughably naive hope for Bethesda.

You can still bang dudes without the perk if you were a guy. The perk didn't make you gay, it gave you some additional dialogue choices with both sexes, but that's about it. NV handled the gay NPC really well, but sexual orientation was nowhere near a focus of the game as it is with other series. So asking F4 to have a gay option where none of the other Bethesda Fallout games had it, and we're given protagonist with a backstory, is kind of pointless and would make it feel forced rather than natural.

Also Obsidian made NV, so we can't really assume that F4 will carry over much, if anything, from it.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

When I first saw this thread I was like 'nah bro that's a bad idea' but here I am, bookmarked it and everything.

Stupid November needs to get here already I want XCOM2 and F4 and snow.

No Metal Gear? Shame on you.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

homeless poster posted:

i demand the ability to explicitly define whether my robodad is circumcised or not and i expect this choice to have valid, plot related consequences. anything less is bethesda playing at some kind of elaborate penis-normative propaganda in their make believe game about mutants and robots and gaping metal holes in the ground

I demand a tipping mechanic.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

Being an RPG means making your own character. A story based game with a pre-set protagonist is an Adventure Game.

I mean what else could you use to distinguish an RPG from other genres? Time was I meant having stats and XP and gaining levels, but that stuff is in every game now. Is GTA 5 an RPG? If it isn't than nether is Fallout 4.

Most rpgs since the beginning of video games have you progress through a narrative as a set character. You're "role playing" as the character.

The whole clean slate build your own character thing is kinda new. Even the previous fallout games gave you some motivation and back story.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

Famous adventure game Mass Effect The Witcher South Park: The Stick of Truth etc and so forth.

Today I learned none of the Final Fantasy games are rpgs.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

In Planescape Torment your character is a blank slate of a sort, you can choose to re-integrate your old life and personality or develop into someone new.

I think you are forgetting about Final Fantasy 1 :colbert:

I any case, yeah RPGs used to be defined as "games with a stat system and XP derived from D&D". But now every drat game has that. Is Call of Duty an RPG? Is Gran Turismo an RPG? If it's not about creating your own character than "RPG" is a basically meaningless term these days.

Mass Effect is defiantly an Adventure game.

No you're literally role playing the character in their world and making decisions in the game world, player created or not. That's where the term RPG comes from.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's dumb to use New Vegas in this argument because;

1. You can have sex with either sexes plus a robot.
2. It's never mentioned whether you're gay or straight or just like loving robots. You decide. There's nothing in the game that forces you either way, and that's not the same as choosing in the game to be gay or straight.
3. Bethesda did not make NV, so we can't expect anything from it to make it into F4.

It would be understandable if people complained about taking out the gay choices in whatever upcoming Mass Effect game since it was an already established gameplay mechanic. But to complain about not having the option in a game where you have an established backstory is pointless. The character creation is completely physical, and has no bearing on the sexual preference of the character and to ask a developer to spend time and money coding it into a game where they have a story and narrative direction that does not fit with what they planned is dumb.

I've been following The Witcher 3 thread and no one is asking why Geralt can't be in a gay relationship. Cause he's a character with a back story. Same in Fallout 4. You're a character in a heterosexual marriage and have a child. Putting in a choice to be gay would seem kind of forced.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hihohe posted:

I wonder if they'll have any unarmed options . A new kind of power fist will be fun
Maybe a taser fist. Aw man a taser fist does more damage to robots. There you go. Modders . Get on it.

We need to ability to craft crazy melee weapons like in Dying Light.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mosnar posted:

Re: gay Fallout RP

Am I completely misremembering that the player character is the potato(e) child of the couple we see in the beginning? Isn't that tabula rasa for whatever character you would want to make?

No you're play one of the parents.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mendrian posted:

Who cares, it's a special mode for people who want to be stuck with their choices anyway.

"Save will corrupt" is a much better reason not to do that though.

Dark Souls does it and it's fine.

People caring way to much about saves itt when you can play the game however you want. If people wanna reload 35 times, fine. If they dont, fine. It doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever.

Also I want the ability to become a prostitute in the game. It'll be a good gimmick. "gently caress a pre-war person!" The player would make so much bank.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Only bug so far on the Xbone is the subtitles got stuck on one line for a conversation. Not experiencing any freezing atm, but I'm just beginning to build the first settlement.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Where do I find stuff to plant? I had 1 corn on me for some reason but I can't find any more.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

busfahrer posted:

Can someone who has played the game on Xbone comment, is the performance bad? Is it playable? :ohdear:

no issues so far aside from subtitles getting stuck on one line during a conversation. when it ended everything went back to normal.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
uh so where do i find crops to grow to feed my peoples?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

Is a mini-nuke actually possible in real life? I read somewhere that nuclear weapons need a minimum amount of nuclear material called "critical mass" for them to explode at all, and thus have a minimum amount of explosive power.

Yes but they were never used in combat.

Most of the damage from nukes comes from the immense heat and force generated by the blast. The explosion itself doesn't do nearly as much damage.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
The minutemen are the only real good guys cause they just wanna help people.

The other factions have their own agendas and will indiscriminately kill people who get in their way.

The minutemen are also the most boring faction.

I wish you can turn your settlements into raider camps and be king of the Raiders.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bholder posted:

The issue I see here is that even if you say no or not interested or whatever, there is still a quest in your log that says you have to do something and you cannot just ignore that.

You can literally just ignore it. You don't have to do it. Just don't do it.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk I've never seen them actively try to hurt non synths or say that helping them was wrong/bad, they just find that the plight of the synths is greater and thus prioritize them because nobody else will. never seen them tell me to go kill minutemen or anything, and the only reference to them I've seen is that they don't trust them to fight for synths. and they're probably right

I've not finished the game yet tho so maybe they do something bad in the eleventh hour

They were gonna kill you when you found their hideout until johnny knoxville vouched for you

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

they're a secret underground organization whom will all die if they are discovered so I don't think that's very surprising

Not very secret when there's a literal line you can follow to go to their hideout where the password is the name of the faction

They stupid as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

I like that Bethesda keeps getting mileage out of their spinning wheel puzzle code. That's economical game design.

I like how in front of the church the plaque has a red arrow pointing to an R and your character goes "hmm it begins with R"

Might the secret password be RAILROAD?!??!?!

It's really dumb and lazy.

• Locked thread