Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

AHungryRobot posted:

Witcher 3 says otherwise.

Yeah man, can't wait for a Fallout game with two dialogue choices per conversation, where half of the conversation is out of the player's control, sounds loving sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Reason posted:

So like Fallout 3/NV?

You should probably play Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas before comparing things to them, I think.

AHungryRobot posted:

Oh no! Not my masterfully written Bethesda dialogue! gently caress off.

lol

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 4, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I put on the big boy testing pants

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Everything that's been 'leaked' so far that's been corroborated by the trailer has been stuff that people have been assuming was going to be in Fallout 4 since Fallout 3 came out.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Uh, like the character design for the main character? That's something that people thought would be in Fallout 4 since Fallout 3 came out?

Sorry, I should have specified, but when I put 'leaked' in quotes, I meant all the bullshit stuff, that's obviously fake outside of 'it's set in Boston!!! The Insititute!'

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Oh wait, if you mean the Reddit stuff, that's all obviously bullshit. I thought you were talking about Kotaku's leak.

The Reddit stuff and there's been other similar stuff before.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

I'll be pretty disappointed if their e3 stage demo doesn't have a section going over the ways they improved the gun combat.

At the very least, I'd hope they've incorporated the changes New Vegas made.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

lmao at no skills and Mass Effect style dialogue.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

drat, I'm so stoked to play the follow up to the Fallout First Person Shooter Brotherhood of Steel.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

turboraton posted:

Thanks for posting this man. So many people jerking off to NV, as they should, but they keep forgetting that your character had a backstory.

Your character had a premise, like every RPG character does, and they used it in different ways to give you a wide variety of options to expand on you character as you wished. Fallout 3 doesn't do that and Fallout 4's premise doesn't lend itself to that.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Why not?

You can play whatever character you like in fallout 3 and I don't see why you wouldn't be able to in fallout 4?

Not to the same extent that you can in New Vegas, and the concessions Obsidian made were for better reasons, and ended up in service of a much better story, than the more extreme ones in 3 and likely 4.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

How many dialogue choices do you get on average in New Vegas in each section where you make a choice? Not including "Tell me about these backstory topics", because even Mass Effect just let you switch to a new section of the dialogue wheel to ask about those. Actual times where you need to make a choice in the dialogue tree.

I don't think anyone's going to count them out for you, because that's a bit silly, but there are situations that allow for more choices than this system does, inherently.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Has there been a single RPG developer in the last ten years who hasn't made the 'this game's so big, holy poo poo, even I haven't seen everything!!!' claim?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

PST is the one game everybody cites as a proof of old games being much deeper, and it still isn't very good as a work of fiction, interactive or not. At least by embracing a more cinematic and conventionally paced approach, RPGs have found a media form they can more comfortably inhabit.

It's interesting that you would say that, but you're wrong.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

This isn't funny.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

rap music posted:

how about a thread where you go to hell!

...what the gently caress!?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Bholder posted:

Guys, you should allow to have some criticism about Fallout 4, it is far from a perfect game and all of it's flaws should be bought up.
But don't you dare touch New Vegas, the absolute well being of perfectness, there's no way you can bring up anything that's wrong with that holy program, you must be trolling and my poor aching heart cannot take it.

You should be locked in a car on an exceptionally warm day.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That's really cool. I like.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cool stuff, guy.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Geoff Zahn posted:

So what do the other bobbleheads do in the game if there aren't skills anymore? I'm assuming there will be 20 again like in FO3. Would they just add a level in a specific perk?

They're just good to have.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

I'd put money on it that the same people who complain about the % based checks forcing them to save scum also reload and set their skill levels up to pass skill checks in NV all the time, too.

That's a bad bet, bitch.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Fallout 3? 'tis a fine game, but 'tis no pool, English.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

VideoGames posted:

i really enjoyed the Dunwhich Building, the nuka cola quest, THOSE! the two superheros, the quest where you fix the election and wandering around the ruins of DC (like the museum). maybe my standards are lower.

I liked most of those.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Any word on the console performance?

Some hefty frame rate drops on both, maybe worse on PS4?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

PS4 supposedly has the huge framerate drop when using scopes (which we've only seen video of once, and it didn't happen on the PS4 streams I watched) and reportedly some slowdown indoors which I didn't witness either and some folks are saying doesn't exist.

We won't know for sure until the full release. And nothing's really been said about the Xbox One version to compare.

I saw the indoors stuff, it was pretty bad, and people have sai similar about the Xbox.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

It's not a distinction because it doesn't exist. Never in Fallout has your character been a shell to pour your own motivations into. You're always playing a defined character with plot-dictated motivations. The particulars on how you accomplish those motivations are different (and utterly immaterial since 'How you did it' never gets brought up) but you're still playing someone.

There is no way to play Fallout 1 that doesn't lead to V13 surviving, Arroyo being founded.

You're wrong.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Nah he really isn't though.

He objectively is. There's two endings to Fallout 1.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

titties posted:

Sorry if it's been covered already, but does anyone know yet whether you can change your character's appearance after leaving the vault?

You can.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Zerilan posted:

Game so far is managing to run on my PC. Time to have complete decision paralysis for awhile on how to spread out my starting stats. Any perks or stat benchmarks that are really important to reach early? (I also imagine there are some number of stat boosting bobbleheads and stuff again).

Just put four in everything except Perception and one other stat. You can get two stay boosts, one to Perception, right out of the gate and it basically doesn't matter how you build your character at the start.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Or at all, really.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

I never spent eight hours walking through Cazadore alley. Didn't have to, I modded half the preventing-sandbox-play Cazadores away.

They objectively didn't prevent a single thing, you are incredibly unwell and not of sound mind. Please do not lie to myself and my friends on the internet anymore. Namaste.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Apparition posted:

I don't get the difference between these two screenshots..

"Notice behind the ammo count."

The gun's stock is there. It's the big, badly-textured blob of colour.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Apparition posted:

today I realized I am blind

It took me awhile to.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Sorry you are too stupid to comprehend that other people enjoy something that you don't. Maybe try eating some paste it sounds more up your alley.

Calm down, sparky.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

How can you be so loving dumb as to not understand an iron sight?

There are children in Africa smarter than this.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

MisterBibs once wrote several pages about why he doesn't think holographic sights are real because "there's no way to trap light in such a small device".

MisterBibs is incredibly unwell and I'm afraid for him.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Fallout 1: guy finding a water chip
Fallout 2: guy finding a gecko
Fallout 3: guy finding dad

Fully voiced is good but every game except the first had a complete back story for your character.

Those aren't complete backstories.

Reason posted:

But like, all you know is that your person lives with a spouse and has a kid. You can still make up in your head or whatever any of the other poo poo.

Roleplaying games are meant to give you options within the game to act on the stuff you 'make up in your head'. And you know a lot more than just 'has a spouse, kid' as a result of the limited choices available to you in dialogue.

You can choose wether you're angry you don't have the kid you love, or wether you're a bit more sad that you don't have the kid you love. Nothing in any of Bethesda, Obsidian or any other developer's Fallout games has been as constricting as Fallout 4 is with regards to your character, even mechanically.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 17, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

You can pretend you character was raped, is a sex slave, or any sexual preference you want. Nothing is stopping you.

It's really weird that those are the examples you immediately go to, is everything okay at home?

Nothing substantial in the game supports roleplaying either, you have a pre-defined character, who you can't examine, explore or expound upon through different choices or skills because what is there is incredibly limited and homogenized. This game isn't comparable in any roleplaying department to Fallout 1, 2 or 3, and is considerably lacking compared to each.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

I hope this isn't a reference to the removal of skills, because skills were complete trash in fallout and are complete trash in every game they've been implemented in. From video games to tabletop, skills are the worst convention and I am glad they are dying off.

However you feel about them, they were a way to represent and build your character and Bethesda didn't provide a meaningful alternative to fill that void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Tei posted:

Charisma and Agility are awesome. VATS is awesome. Lady Gaga is the most wrong person on the planet.

I have made a collect in my city to have Lady Galatea shut the gently caress up.

Heres the result, many bottle caps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hLohNKwTYM

I think you might be severely mentally ill, friend.

• Locked thread