Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I voted for the goons never change thread title. :colbert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SERPUS posted:

Why would you preorder this?

Because fallout is the best series of video games in human history. Fact.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

1stGear posted:

Bethesda's main problem is that we live in a world where The Witcher 3 exists.

magic and potions are gay. gimme guns and nukes

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cargohills posted:

If you don't want to immediately killed by Cazadors or Deathclaws, that is true.

It's actually pretty easy to get to Vegas immediately. I did it the first time I ever played the game because I saw Vegas in the distance and was like gently caress going south. The route is basically Goodsprings Cemetery - Sloan - Neil's Shack, then just head north along the cliffs while not getting close enough to the 1-2 deathclaws up there to aggro them. Usually I can pull it off in one go.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Xavier434 posted:

That part is true. If VATS were designed as simply an optional tool that the player can use if they find it more enjoyable then it would be great. The fact that they tied in perks and other stats to the system is what sucked about its implementation. I generally prefer not to use VATS but I do use it regularly enough to the point where I would miss it if it were gone.

There's not like a whole shitload of VATS perks. You can easily make a great build that doesn't rely on VATS at all. If you like VATS, you can take perks that enhance VATS. If you like energy weapons, you can take perks that enhance energy weapons, etc. It adds choice. It's not like they shoehorned you into using it. There's 117 perks and you can choose 25 of them.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

It's almost like .... none of the Fallouts were very good games in the first place

get out of our clubhouse gringo

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

Witcher 3 has retroactively made all Bethesda games bad.

They used to be good, but in a post Witcher 3 world they are bad.

It's been like 5 years since the last fallout.

derra posted:

The VATS perks aren't great and aren't remotely desirable in a min max build anyway. A lot of them don't work well together anyway. So you really need bonuses to hit legs, head and torsos?

If you have some compelling need to take them go ahead but they aren't the most desirable perks at all.

Sniper and Commando combined own a whole lot.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

I don't even dislike regular Bethesda games, Skyrim/Morrowind are good. It's the marriage of Fallout setting and Bethesda game that doesn't do it for me. Something about it just seems fanfiction-y in the worst kind of way

Really? I'm the exact opposite. Huge RPG with guns is awesome, but then you change the guns to bows and add dragons and elves and magic and you lose me.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hot Jam posted:

Yea, and all signs point to us getting a game running on the same engine.

don't know the implications of this and i couldn't care less. fo4 will own and own hard and it will be the best game on the market until the next fallout comes out.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Raider posted:

i will never understand goons love of new vegas or even obsidian in general. sure their writing is alright but their games are so ugly and retardedly designed as to barely qualify as video games at all

fallout could be 2D and i'd play it. the graphics aren't why it's good. no other games give you an open world that you can mold like that. you're just now getting the option to choose dialogue in other games, which fallout has had since 08. i'm expecting big things from fo4. the kind of game you can play for hundreds of hours and still think of something new and fun to try.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

Faction based is just as dumb, in fact. There's no difference between them, they're reskins of each other

i agree. give me a guided story where your side is picked for you, as are all your allies.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

Or don't include factions at all and don't try to tell a narrative story

What you're describing is literally a choose your own adventure fanfiction.net style Goku vs Superman story, replacing Goku and Superman with organizations from the original Fallout. Which I guess is fine if that's your thing, but it's not mine

it's more like a goosebumps choose your own adventure book combined with mad libs. owns.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

So it's a bad story for children at best, and spergy nerds at worst. A Good Post :tipshat:

It's a fun game with tons of poo poo to do and choices to make. Sorry you can't appreciate it. :shrug:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The thing is it's really hard to predict anything about FO4. We can look at fallout 3 (2008) and FNV (2010) and use those as a point of reference, but how useful is that really? FNV was so much more open ended than FO3, and they made huge improvements in basically everything in just 2 years. Now, they've had FIVE years to let their imaginations run wild on the possibilities of what they can do to expand the game and make it work. I don't really think saying "I don't like FNV because X, so I probably won't care about FO4" is good logic. There's going to be a lot of things in the game that are completely unrecognizable.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
hmm yes i dislike fallout because it's so ~steampunk~ but i'll go root through dwarven ruins in skyrim all day.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

One of favorite surprises in NV was finding out that there was a fairly extensive sewer system with people from around the slums of New Vegas living down there.

that place was huge and there was like 1 mission that went there. :sigh: westside was such a wasted opportunity. it was at least as big as freeside.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Blitzball kicked rear end tho

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

pmchem posted:

Yup, truth.

I played Wasteland as a kid. I love Fallout. I love what modders can come up with and the open-world environments. I enjoy the Bethesda games.

But I hate how buggy Bethesda releases are, and I hate how early patches create major, new problems and it's not a one-time thing. Bethesda management seems to place little priority on QA, or fixing problems found by QA, whatever it is.

So much love/hate. Given that the reddit leak pegged October 2015 as the release for FO4 over a year in advance, I can only fear that there are major QA issues that will go unaddressed in order to hit a ship date. Tempting to just wait for a steam sale months later or a GOTY edition, when stuff is fixed and mods are flourishing.

To be fair, fallouts have to be a bitch of a game to test and patch. Every combination of decisions you make presents a different game to whoever plays it, and the potential for new bugs. If you count each piece of dialogue, there's got to be thousands of different ways to do a playthrough.

"bob, did you check that mission where you discuss turning in chief hanlon and he commits suicide after you killed everyone at all the ranger stations because you started working with the legion after you already started that mission once you were done with forging the misfits performance results like i asked?"

"...piss."

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
fallout 3 came out 7 years ago fyi.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ShadowMar posted:

no but if you care about anything at all that means you're a sperg because as a goon i can't understand basic concepts

is it really that hard to just run around and be a shooty mans? if you're going to run a fine tooth comb through every game you play and analyze every detail because ~immersion~ or whatever, you're always going to be disappointed. if you find something silly like a bug or an inconsistency, laugh at it and keep going. hell, finding stuff like that is half of the fun of the games, and i don't want it fixed. like when you see rivet city, the correct response is to say "fuckin rights, a big rear end boat city!" not "hmmm, this boat is in a state of disrepair that surely would've led to it sinking over the last hundred years. problematic." you're not going to get novel level detail from a video game. suck it up or go read a book.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The problem is, as an open-world RPG the game encourages the player to talk to everyone, run over everything, and see firsthand how the world sticks together. The problem with Fallout 3 isn't necessarily that it falls apart if you look at it hard enough, but that it's so poorly put together that it practically calls attention to its internal contradictions and flaws. It's a lot easier to tear apart if even the most basic premises of the game don't make sense.

edit: also if you're playing the game just to shoot stuff in a post-apoc setting you really should just be playing the Metro series instead, considering how much better the shooting mechanics in that game are compared to anything either 3 or NV has to offer.

Fallout 3's main story was boring and I don't even remember it, but there were a ton of fun side quests and more than enough motivation to explore the hell out of the map. For what it was, a massive theme park trial balloon, it was awesome. No other console game had anywhere close to the depth that fallout 3 had. It was unprecedented to make a game like that. New Vegas improved upon this substantially in 2010, tying everything together a lot better, and addressing a lot of the biggest criticisms of 3 (lame main story, drab lighting, little connection between communities), and it was one of the best games ever made. I don't get how people can not be hyped for the new one, especially when they're bitching about old rear end games that were revolutionary in their day by comparing them to a game that came out a few months ago. If you want to compare it to Skyrim, cool, but keep in mind that Skyrim was universally applauded and I don't know if there's a game out yet that matches it in sheer amount of poo poo to do. Hell, I hate the knights and elves and not-middle earth theme when it comes to anything, and I still put over a hundred hours into that game. If Fallout 4 is not an incredible, revolutionary game, it will be the exception to the rule. I'm sure goons will find plenty to bitch about, but they'll have to grasp at straws a hell of a lot harder than they will for any other game on the market.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

What I'm getting out of this is that you expect Fallout 4 to be little more than an incredible theme park, which is cool. I think that's cool too. I like theme parks where you can shoot clay people.

Nah, I'm expecting it to be better than the last game they made, which has always been the case. It's also been several years since they released a real game, so there will be a lot of new and awesome things they're going to present. It definitely will be an incredible theme park, but there will also be a lot of progress in tying the game together while also making it more open ended imo. The only thing I'm worried about is what they're doing with online gameplay. I wouldn't mind something in the vein of what Far Cry 4 did at all, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about an mmo.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Witcher 3. The Witcher 3 sets the gold standard in all sandbox RPGs, really and I say that as someone who didn't like the first two Witcher games at all. Not only is there about as much to do in Skyrim, the quests feel more lovingly crafted too and not just "collect 10 bear anuses" or "find the magic dildo in some dungeon that's never been visited and looted about a yard apart from another dungeon which has somehow never been visited and looted".

I don't expect Fallout 4 to be better than The Witcher 3 or even better than New Vegas but I do expect a decent, fun game that has a lot of modding potential and I'm okay with that. I don't really give a poo poo about how every Fallout game sucks because of stupid asinine reasons by spergy idiots who complain that video game elements in a video game ruins ~their immersion~.

Ok, but Skyrim came out in 2011 and Witcher 3 came out not even a month ago. I feel bad for the people who made it. It sounds like it's a good game, and it's gonna sit on the throne for so little time. :(

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicAcne posted:

You will try and then fail because stealth has been the only consistently fun way to play recent Bethesda games.

melee is fun. so is a guns build. and energy weapons.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rabidredneck posted:

Few more hours till Bethesda's pre-E3 show. 10:00 PM EST. I'm gonna watch it on Twitch. Looking forward to seeing what they've got so far.

post a link when it's up would you.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Doom isn't my cup of tea but those melee attacks are hilarious in a good way.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Shut upppp

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The thing about the ending that bothered me was that it was that really lazy style where once you finish the final mission, it just loads the last save you had before you started it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
SPECIAL is still there, gently caress the haters

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You can tell your companions to do poo poo!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Pip boy apps

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Take all my money

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna make a loving sweet compound

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
700 weapon mods. :stare:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I am. I am ready to gently caress poo poo up

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Novemberrrrrr!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Game of the year or game of the decade?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

frajaq posted:

They didn't say anything about Skills did they?

No but it did show him creating his character with SPECIAL.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

graynull posted:

I'm really curious about the modding prospects. Those new systems looked great, but might be hell for players to mod. Still, I'll reserve my negativity until I have reason to think it won't be very easy.

it looked pretty straightforward. a menu where you can go through every mod to see what it requires to build. i cannot loving wait to build a full auto plasma rifle. plus it gives you a reason to not just skim over wonderglue and worthless poo poo that never mattered in any of the other games. did he access that menu through the pip boy? loving better be able to see on the go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BurnBlackJay posted:

Where can I watch thu new trailers?

If they aren't up on youtube yet, they will be soon.

• Locked thread