Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Fallout 1 is a good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Fallout 1 was a good game

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
they should spend their money on guns to shoot themselves with

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
The fact that people think bethesda games are good gives me stress hives and heart fibrillation

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
You really wouldnt think bethesda are fans of fallout since they dont seem to know or care about anything thats good about it

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Flaky posted:

I actually think it gets a lot more hate than it deserves. James was a pretty good character (for a computer game) all things considered, and at least adequately voice acted, regardless if you like the choice of Liam Neeson. My main criticism if any was that it was a bit too short (I think there's a speedrun of F3 that takes something like 11 minutes), but then I think I had a good 50 hours of exploring under my belt before I tried to finish the main quest (even Moira's quests would probably take at least 10 hours alone). So let me go through from memory what I perceived as some of the strengths and explain some of the weaknesses.

1) The inherent plot was quite compelling. You are searching for your Dad, ostensibly a good-guy but with a cold edge and some genuinely mysterious motivations (why did he abandon you? was it grief over Mommy, was it because of the subtle hints about him and Dr. Lee, was it because of the repressive Vault heirarchy or simple opportunism or was it to save the day for the wasteland inhabitants?) Either way, that's a more subtle character than most computer games manage, and the voice acting carried it very well imo. Plus that opening - that was one of the best openings to any game in recent memory, right up to the harshness of the first vista over the wasteland, and involved me emotionally.

2) He basically pisses off right at the start, relegating the protagonist to a comfortable secondary role in the narrative until the very conclusion. This actually takes a lot of the pressure off the player; they feel they have time to explore the world and do their own thing safe in the knowledge that Dad probably doesn't want to be found for the moment. This forms a kind of tacit approval for the player to ignore the main quest, which is totally fine and basically what should be encouraged in an open world game.

3) You are actually allowed to just stumble upon Dad at various places (Vault 112, Rivet City) without expecting it at all! This is great because it reinforces the causality of the plot, rather than locking the player out of certain areas until the game judges them 'ready' or they have been forced to experience the required amount of 'content' like most games would have done. It doesn't try to retroactively shove missed content down your throat and manages to remain consistent even if you never go near GNR or the DC ruins (the description of which successfully intimidated me for pretty much the entirety of my first playthrough, even if the reality turned out to be underwhelming)

4) Dad actually travels across a significant portion of the overworld, and you as the player are obliged to follow and fight along side him if you choose. That was a really ambitious and epic journey for me - a huge running battle across half the map. Pretty much the only way that this was feasible was to have James marked as essential, so I forgive the designers for that (I died many times and had to reload and rethink that whole previous quest to have enough supplies to survive the journey intact). It might have been cool to have him take a break at some strategic locations rather than simply bee-lining for Rivet City, but it was still fun and intense as hell and I awarded the game credit for its ambition.

5) Once you arrive there are several quests where you take direct instruction from Dad. Like the trip back to Rivet City this is important because it is a sort of emotional rapprochement between the player and Dad, before the inevitable tragic redemption.

Given that the main quest isn't really where most of the value of the game is to be found I think it did a pretty good job. I was way more disappointed when I finished all of Moira's great quests, and then she was the only NPC to offer anything like as many!!! I was psyched for numerous equivalent-length quest trees.

By comparison, the intrinsic motivation of the courier in NV was opaque right from the beginning, which didn't really serve to involve me emotionally at all. I never really was encouraged to become invested in the story, so I found it didn't really matter which 'faction' I supported. There were no sympathetic characters I can remember. This pretty much killed any enthusiasm for me right from the start. I did manage to have fun, but I didn't hang around once I had explored most areas.

How can mans be so dumb bruv

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
A cool thing about fallout used to be how things were thought through and made sense in context, not realistically but within the universe. Like bottle caps, settlements, developments, everything was explained in a dumb sci fi apocalypse sense. But bethesda doesnt care about that, they dont explain anything because they dont need to. Theres no reason why the east coast would use bottle caps as currency. An eternal village of kids isolated from the world, doesnt matter. And obviously fans dont care either, but its a big thing for me and a big reason I dont like bethesdas dumb n dorky turdgames.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Even in fallout 1 bottle caps were explained as being backed by merchants in the hub for its finite amount. Its not realistic but its a cool thing that builds the setting. In fallout 3 they use bottle caps because im a doo doo baby gaga googoo i poop in diapee

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
nma has always been right

edit nice

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Bholder posted:

Are you guys just looking for excuses to say "the writing is wrong"?

I mean if we are about to sperg how things make no sense, why not complain what Geckos eat? How can huge Scorpions and insects exist at all, because their bodies would not be able to hold together increased mass? How the gently caress are Securitrons considered good design, yes give the robot that's standing on a single tire a rocket launcher, it will NEVER topple over! Where the gently caress do people get electricity? Why are psychic powers considered canon?

youre dumb

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i wish fallout never turned into a lovely fps

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
It would have helped if bethesda was not consistently terrible at everything from making games to thinking to not being hitler

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I get angrier every single day that some people, many people, harbor anything but disgust for bethesdas games. One day it will kill me irl.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

homeless poster posted:

i feel like a lot of people are forgetting that the company that made FO3 and is working on FO4 is not the same people who made FO1 & FO2. F04 is going to be more like Skyrim and every other generic AAA game released for a modern system because that is what the company that is making FO4 does. getting mad or surprised or upset or anything other than just accepting whatever news comes down the pipe is a futile exercise in impotent rage. if you loved FO1 & FO2 then you got New Vegas as your eventual follow-up. there might not ever be another FO game made by (some) of the people who worked on the first two ever again, but even if there was it's not going to be F04. likewise, the people working on F04 might take very tertiary learnings from what NV did well, but don't expect F04 to continue in the direction that NV went because the company that is making F04 has a fundamentally different philosophy for what kind of game they want to make

aduhhhhhhh uhhhhh guhhhhh bllllbbbluhhh

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Complaining about the family thing in fallout 4 is like complaining about hitler not working to preserve historic churches

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Bethesda doesn't make rpgs they make larping tools

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

marktheando posted:

Maybe try criticising the game for what it is, and not for what it isn't?
its a turd and it isnt good

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Need some goonvice. Should i play fallout 4 when it comes out, or should i put my nuts up on a dresser, just the nuts, and then bang them shits with a spiked bat like POW

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
instead of playing fallout 4 i will be choking myself as i masturbate to mail order clothing catalogues

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope the rock-it launcher is back in and I can continue to murder people with dollar bills while wearing a top hat.

epic.... epic for the win

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
gentle criticism is unacceptable

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Bugs have never been why bethesdas games are terrible

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

The Witcher 3 managed to have every single line for every single person you talked to in the world voice by them and Geralt.

cd projekt are competent is the ish here

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Imagine if someone made a thing that did have interesting things to say about these things and then bethesda turned out their version, i bet people who liked that first thing would be mad then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
They should philosophize something else

• Locked thread