Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I cannot wait to listen to troy baker go "hunh...." or "lookie what we got here..." every time I go through a box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TheBuilder posted:

Uh, so, is there going to be controversy if you can't choose your sexual preference and or identity with your prewar partner because this is looking a little too traditional for the internet's taste.

I can literally, literally guarantee there will be. 100%.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ten bucks says they're gonna pull the "well Fallout takes place in a post-ALTERNATE REALITY 1950s, so they're probably actually really progressive" card. The fact this was not true in earlier iterations of the series will likely have no bearing on this decision.

:v: "Nrgh... sorry Elizabethmeat... I was just thinking of my husband.... huff....... he was the best man I ever met..... our son was so beautiful"
:dogge: <Weren't you alive in the 1950s Troy Baker?>
:v: "Yes Elizabethmeat I was...... but it was a different 1950s than the one most people know.... (wink and nod at the audience)... much more progressive for sure....."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'm gonna play the f4llout and I'm gonna enjoy the f4llout, maybe after a few bugfix patches, but definitely eventually.

:agreed:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, this would totally be out of place. Fallout certainly never did this before. There were certainly not established lore-based situations where, for example, women were part of the army pre-war. Not at all. God drat Bethesda ruining the lore by following the idea that it was an alternate version of history that expanded out of the 1950s, not Literally The 1950s.

It also had people being killed in the streets for being gay and made "you are gay" be an unlockable character perk so shrug

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PerpetualSelf posted:

Wait people are bitching about this? It's a Bethesda game. Someone will loving mod the stats get the gently caress over it.

Bethesda is so far ahead of the curve in developing actual gameplay in their games it's ridiculous. I'm stunned.

The gameplay in Fallout games is loving garbage, and I'm not talking garden-variety "oh it's a bad game", I'm talking a clunky, bug-ridden, poorly thought out mess with amateur animations to boot. Even New Vegas, the one people say is the good one.

edit: And this is coming from someone who has like 200 hours in New Vegas and almost as many in 3.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The new trailer did look much better than the first one and the player seems to no longer steer like a boat on choppy waters, so who knows, it might not be crap. Sure, it'll sell a bajillion copies regardless of whether it's actually a good name or not because it's got the word Fallout and the number 4 in the title, but I would like to hope. Good gameplay does not excuse poo poo story, which is half of what Fallout games are about, so let's hope the story's not as poo poo as it sounds.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

No Mods No Masters posted:

There are only four dialogue options max and your character is almost certainly a replicant, so I'm certainly not expecting any miracles

That is a shame. I really don't like giving the main character a more established backstory than "grew up in a vault" or "was a courier". Fallout 3 had you play through your childhood and it was one of the best parts of the game, I feel, because it allowed you to shape your character's history. This game, from what I've read, just GIVES you a history and you have to shape the character around that. Which sucks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So if I can't connect with the character than I already don't give a gently caress. Nice Bethesda.

OK yeah gently caress this game. Maybe I'll buy the next elder scrolls.

On the one hand I don't agree with giving the player a concrete backstory and think that's incredibly stupid, but on the other, the character doesn't have to be exactly like you for you to be able to connect to them. If they do then you might want to think about broadening your horizons a bit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Until about 5 mins into the game, and then you're just some shmuck crawling around in the dirt doing a side quest to get parts for this sex bot so you can infiltrate this night club to get some sweet cash.

What I'm saying is the main plot/starting point of these sorts of games are all kind of easy to ignore.

Sure, but ignoring it doesn't mean it's not there. You really think the game's gonna give you that background stuff and not utilize it by itself?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

crawlkill posted:

broaden your horizons...into being the most generic real-world American imaginable?

Broaden your horizons into identifying with a character that's not like you, yes. Surprisingly enough it's possible regardless of whether or not the kind of person the fictional character is is common in our real world or not.

crawlkill posted:

imagine how the broader audience would react if you were required to start out as a divorced gay female-to-male transsexual, unemployed because of his alcoholism, whose kids hated him. YOU might say "you don't need to be like your character to connect to them," but how much currency do you think that argument would carry in general if the default were thoroughly queer?

I'm tired of telling people I'm gay whenever this argument comes up but here goes anyway. I'm gay. I know what it's like for there to be no characters "like me" in video games. I don't define myself by my sexual orientation or my gender, but my personality. If you can't connect to the character's backstory then fine, but the game is still going to let you shape their personality, and though I think the backstory is stupid, I can guarantee you they're going to let you make your person still be whoever you want them to be personality-wise. Saying you can't identify with a character solely because they don't share your life's characteristics is not particularly close-minded because the character's not real, but it is still being stubborn.

Broaden your horizons. You have to remember that the game is going to let you make your guy or girl whoever you want them to be except for the things you can't change. It sucks that it is that way and I wish it wasn't, but writing the whole game off just because of the backstory is not keeping everything the game has to offer in mind.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

gently caress that. I have never been able to connect to any media that uses missing/dead spouse/children as a 'thing'. it's lazy and bullshit.

This I agree with. "My X is dead waah" is an overused and annoying cliche.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

crawlkill posted:

yes, fellow human being here, I wasn't actually asking about you! did you read what I said? I said THE BROADER AUDIENCE. it wasn't about you!

Yeah and I'm using my own self as a way to say that your argument is flawed. You and the other poster assumed I was a straight dude and I'm not. Read my post instead of just quoting the first line that offends you. The broader audience would be pissed because there are way more straight people than there are many other kinds of people but what I'm saying is that that obviously means nothing on a person-by-person basis.

edit: made my post less rude

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 15, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

crawlkill posted:

n...no, my post made no assumptions about you. my post was about the audience. you were the person who spoke as if queers were expected to embrace the normals; I pointed out the normals wouldn't act that way if asked to identify with queers. it wasn't about you. it was about your implicit suggestion that we, the "un-normal," should gladly immerse ourselves in explicit "normality," where the "normal" would probably reject being immersed in anything us-like. that only works if it's a two-way street, and it'd be great if it did, but I don't think it does in the society we live in.

if you don't wanna sound like a (douchey) straight white dude, don't use their arguments. but I know better than to make any kind of assumptions about people who post on the intertimes.

Like I said though, "their" arguments are sound and yours is not. You asked me what would happen and I said exactly what would happen; people would freak out, rebel against change, and so on and so on. In a perfect world the game would allow you to choose your own orientation and it may very well do that, we don't know yet; or better yet, not have the arbitrary backstory at all. But obviously we don't live in a perfect world.

It's not about what is or is not normal. I don't care about what's normal in this discussion. I'm saying that you, a not straight person, just like me, a not straight person, should not write off what could very well be a good video game just because the protagonist is straight. You can't identify with their sexual orientation but there's a million other things about them that you COULD identify with, and if they let you shape your character's personality, then ANYBODY could potentially identify with them. That's literally all I was implying in that post I made where I talked about myself. I agree with you that "un-normal" people would be better off if straight people were more accepting of non-straight people not just in video games but in general. It should be that way. But even if it was that way, you'd still have to deal with identifying with straight people in other media, just like they'd have to deal with identifying with us.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 15, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

crawlkill posted:

you think it's unreasonable for minorities playing a game in a series that has traditionally allowed them full (if largely in-their-own-heads) representation to be disappointed that a sequel would strip that by forcing a particular identity and strongly identity-linked history on the player character?

to extrapolate, you're saying it wouldn't be okay if women were disappointed if the protagonist were mandated to be male. "bad people from the wider [target] audience wouldn't like it if the character was [required to be] a woman, so that makes it okay for THE WOMEN to act like that." well, yeah! yeah, it does. the point is it's a pointless exclusion that erupts from nowhere and breaks the Fallout tradition of the cipher player character.

you gotta try harder.

You're really good at putting words in other peoples' mouths. First mine, now his. Either stop doing that or come up with a better argument, thanks. You're making "us faggots" look bad (your words, not mine).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

crawlkill posted:

on the internet giving any attention at all to anyone but yourself seems to get called caring too much or trying too hard a lot, gotta apply some filters to try and work out when people are being assholes on autopilot

the sad fact is I hear so little Bethesdahate that I'll forgive almost any annoying behavior just to hear someone agree with me

:irony:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

crawlkill posted:

finally a strong argument

Oh sorry what I meant to say was You said a gay person was using straight person arguments to justify a game having a straight protagonist, shut up and stop posting you moron. How's that?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked that one Mass Effect dialogue choice where the dialogue option says "I'm trying to help you" and Shepard says exactly that except after punching the person when you pick it (or before, can't remember). Looking forward to that in Fallout 4.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rinkles posted:

This bit is icky.

Encourage scavenging not hoarding.

Presumably the reason the player has so much is because it's a dev build for demonstration purposes and all that, and the player won't actually find that many or have that high a max carry capacity in the real game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rinkles posted:

Yeah but literally everything in the base building segment required materials. Optional stuff yada yada

That's not really that big of a change from crafting things in previous Fallout games at workbenches and such, except that now you need a longer shopping list of junk items. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing considering 3/NV have ten thousand boxes, crates, mailboxes, and so on I'll never open because I don't need the junk items that are inside. Giving you a reason to root through that stuff isn't tedium in itself if they make sure it's not tedious by making the amounts you need to craft stuff be reasonable.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Like I said, it won't be tedious if they balance it correctly. Rooting through 20 boxes to find 10 adhesives to make 1 gun part is not the same as rooting through 3 boxes to find 3 adhesives to make 1 gun part.

edit: Forums hiccuped so if this post shows up again a few posts down the page, sorry.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Andrast posted:

Has Bethesda ever balanced anything correctly?

Fair enough. The balanced scavenging mod will fix it if so.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

QuarkJets posted:

The E3 footage makes this game look like boring garbage.

At least some of the environments are interesting but I'm worried that if I keep playing games that only use brown and gray color palettes that I'm eventually going to go colorblind

Like one of the very first things I noticed about this game's aesthetic is that it is saturated and colorful. Your eyes are already broken.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

QuarkJets posted:

I love video games, I've been playing them all my life. The "gray and brown" thing is only brought up when the game is just gray and brown, like Fallout 3 was. It's not a catchphrase, it's a legitimate complaint. You can do some amazing things with game graphics and it's always disappointing when a developer chooses a boring color palette

Some of the initial videos had some great color in them, but then a bunch of the E3 footage was brown grass, brown dirt, grey structures, etc etc. This is worrying. I want the majority of the game to be more like the initial screenshots, with diverse colors

e: The fact that you think that a complaint about boring color palettes is a sign that someone dislikes video games in general tells us something about the sad state of the industry.

Ok good news: The game is very colorful.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SunAndSpring posted:

a bunch of evil assholes who want to gently caress the Boston wasteland with their robot dicks.

Yeah, reserve this for the player character, I feel. Assuming the player really is an android, anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dr. Carwash posted:

Voiced Protagonist is one of the best changes imo. If you like being a retarded mute in every conversation that exhibits 0 emotion idk to say.

So this is your first fallout game, huh

edit: sorry i meant "video game"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Eonwe posted:

i dont know what this means but it sounds like you are super mad about voice acting

LOL

I was saying he's a dumbass for implying that not having a voiced protag means your character can't show emotion

You're a dumbass too hth

edit: i probably should be less hostile

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The writing in this game is killin' me here, holy crap. I'm glad the gameplay is generally better or else I would have a hard time wanting to keep going.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fonzarelli posted:

Yeah its really super boring and dry so far. The main character voice is ruining it for me, i'm afraid to press the "sarcastic" option because I don't know what he'll say and I don't wanna cringe.

Its like, the least engaging dialogue system ever, especially after witcher 3. Game is fun though.

It's exactly as cringeworthy as you imagine it is. Also, because of the dumb new dialogue system, you have no way of knowing whether 'sarcasm' means 'witty joke' or 'insult the fucker' until you hit it. Which is bad.

The new dialogue system is bad. Has anybody said that it's bad yet? If not: It's bad.

I do find it kinda funny though that they've embraced the older games' traditional "yes I want to do this quest, no I don't want to do this quest, maybe (I'll think about it)" by having your options literally just be YES, NO, MAYBE with sometimes a token TELL ME MORE for the top option. All that's changed is they've cut out all that unnecessary fluff like enabling your character to have a personality by not including multiple ways to say those things!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 11, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Are you... Megaman?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

titties posted:

tap for melee, hold then release for grenades, it's pretty easy imo

still stupid tho

The tooltip at the beginning of the game says to hold down the melee button to do a power attack, which is incredibly not true. Recalling this tooltip will have disastrous consequences once you get your hands on grenades and decide you want to hit something hard from melee distance.

edit: Holding it down does nothing different from just tapping it, too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You meet the dog in this game at the red rocket truck stop.

They knew, right? They had to have known.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They don't do that because making something truly random means that poo poo can go horribly wrong and the game can either break or become impossible to complete through no fault of the player's. It's a nice idea to have things play out in a truly simulated, random way (as they would in real life), but video games are not capable of doing that with any kind of quality assurance right now. Maybe sometime in the future, but too much can go wrong for it to be worth attempting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Speedball posted:

I do not get the reference.

dog penis

And south park

edit: This is probably the most sophisticated post I've ever made on SA. I'm proud

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 12, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hollenhammer posted:

Well yeah, but when i went and modded the stock off the gun, it went away
e: and its not there for other guns

It's because of the way your character holds the gun. The shoulder clips into view of the camera.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Minorkos posted:

It's pretty nuts how no one seems to really care that the protag is from the pre-war era. like no one wants to know anything. why doesn't anyone ask "yo how do you mix cement? my great great great great grandpa knew how but he's dead"

The writing in this game sucks.

Even when you do get the opportunity to mention it, you get exactly two lines of dialogue: "Woah! So that's really possible! Cool/weird/lovely/gross!" and "Anyway, as I was saying".

edit: I'm agreeing with the guy who said NV/FO3's weapon mod system was better, gently caress the resource micromanagement, it's annoying. Hope you like hunting for loving glue until the end of days.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 12, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Harrow posted:

For a "recent" example, Caesar's brain tumor quest in New Vegas is awesome. There are lots of ways that can go based on your character's skills and stats and some of them are hilarious. You can repair the auto-doc, so you're never totally unable to complete it without having the right stats. You can do his surgery yourself if you have high Speech (to convince them to let you) or even higher Medicine (to show that you have the skills). You can sabotage it and talk your way out of it, or sabotage it and get in trouble. You can blunder through it with 9 Luck and when asked how you did it, say "I have no loving idea." I can't shake the feeling that if that quest had been in Fallout 4, the only option would be to repair the auto-doc.

Don't forget you can also sell Arcade into slavery and he'll fix Caesar instead if you really, really wanna be a dick about it. Almost nobody will be willing to do that unless they're specifically going out of their way to be as brutal and mean of a person as possible in their playthrough. But the fact that they actually allow you to do that and the quest has a response to you asking if you can is much better than anything Fallout 4 has to offer in terms of character independence and personalization.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

peter gabriel posted:

So overall is this game recommended?

Eh, it's okay. Don't buy it for full AAA video game price but do check it out if you liked FO3 or NV.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Protons posted:

You should get a newer computer.

It always looks like that, it's a bug with that specific area and LOD streaming.

edit:

In fact, I just went there 5 seconds ago in my game so here's a screenshot of how totally hosed the area looks for people with the bug, regardless of graphics settings.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 13, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

As much as I really dislike the forced You Have To Be Nathan Drake writing in regards to the player character, when you're actually trying to play that kind of character the dialogue can be sort of fun. Not especially good, but fun, and that matters more imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NESguerilla posted:

Sorry you are too stupid to comprehend that other people enjoy something that you don't. Maybe try eating some paste it sounds more up your alley.

You can choose to enjoy or not enjoy lovely stuff but that doesn't mean it's not poo poo. The game's fine but it has a lot of very real problems that you can't just wave away with "well that's just like your opinion man".

• Locked thread