Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I might play this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Fallout 4: Probably won't be as good as New Vegas

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Shugojin posted:

Yeah that contract was idiotic and it hosed them out of royalties and pretty much any chance of doing another game for Bethesda.

Basically everyone at obsidian (Sawyer, Avellone, Feargus) said they would jump at the chance to do another fallout game so really it's up to bethesda. The media/fans made a way bigger deal out of that metacritic thing than obsidian did tbh.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

But apparently the Witcher 3 is the Best Game Ever Made now or something.

I don't know if it's the best game ever but it definitely set a whole new standard for me. It feels like the game that Inquisition desperately wanted to be.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah they even ignore it when NPCs say hi to them.

NCR Ranger: "Hey there"
Follower: :stare:

Then they just follow the NPC with their eyes until they walk past.

Although Boone will murder every Legionnaire you come across. If that's not a reaction I don't know what is. :v:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

SRM posted:

Install Nevada Skies, it has dust storms, rad storms, thunderstorms, and you can set it to the "Apocalypse" preset if you really want it to go nuts.

I installed that mod and it was annoying as gently caress.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Him and Tenpenny just rode a boat over.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

2house2fly posted:

They wanted a nuclear desert wasteland and they also wanted to set it in DC, but Bethesda apparently has a rule where every game has to be set after the last one, and they wanted to call it Fallout 3, so it also had to be set after Fallout 2. Their hands were tied, really.

It's really impressive how they managed to tie their own hands behind their back. Do they have double joints or something?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

khy posted:

I think the CW is still a wasteland which hasn't regrown is attributed to the radiation in the water, but maybe I'm wrong about that? Is it ever mentioned? I know that in F:NV they say that radioactive water is killing off plants so I would assume that is also the excuse for why the CW hasn't regrown much vegetation. It's not good science, in fact I think it may be totally incorrect, but it's the only thing I can recall about it.

I did a science project when I was in elementary school. I took 3 bean sprouts. One I left alone. A second I bombarded with microwave radation. A third I bombarded with X-Ray radiation (My father's a dentist, x-ray radiation was easy for me to get ahold of).

All 3 were buried at the exact same depth in soil taken from the same bag of dirt, given the same amount of water (measured via eyedropper) and placed side-by-side on the same windowsill when not being tested.

The x-ray radiation plant grew fastest. Then the microwave one, while the 'control' bean grew slowest. I don't know what the effects of Gamma radiation on plants would be, but given that Chernobyl is not a desert I would imagine that the whole 'Radioactive water is killing the plants' thing that FO3 and New Vegas both say is overstated if not outright wrong.

They've explicitly said that fallout radiation does not operate under the same rules that real world radiation does.

Shugojin posted:

It was really recent, yeah. The Securitrons showed up (probably beat them up a fair amount) and made an offer. Benny tells you about it if you let him.

Benny mentions shanking the dude who originally lead the chairmen too. :v:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I still kind of like Fallout 3 because I grew up in the DC area. Also the Rock-it launcher was silly fun.

The metro system is exactly as hellish as Fallout 3 depicted it.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 11, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

This sounds so much like a phrase that a Dungeons & Dragons DM would come up with when he gets the idea to make a literal medieval corporation for his game.

Feargus Urquhart might be the most scottish name I have ever heard.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Nerds have made a bigger deal out of that metacritic thing then anyone actually involved in creating the game.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

hemophilia posted:

I really agree with people who favor Fallout: NV, but the dividing line on that seems to be if you played the first two in their time or not. I've not met anyone who came in with F3 and doesn't prefer it to new vegas.

For me, Fallout 3 has a lot of problems and is the lesser game, mostly because Bethesda isn't very good at story or dialogue. Fallout 3 was still good to me when New Vegas didn't exist though. the Capital Wasteland absolutely was not a cohesive world, and the story elements don't hold up to scrutiny, but it was definitely a fun post apocalyptic rubble simulator in the pre-2010 world. I still enjoy playing Skyrim now and then several years later, despite having almost the same loving issues F3 has, so I figure I'll probably be able to enjoy Fallout 4 just as much.

I share the gooniest views about the quality of these games compared to each other, but I guess I just don't hold them with enough sincerity or conviction to bitch and moan that Bethesda hasn't just handed the series off to Obsidian. I'll be happy with what I get, and I hope some of the original Fallout 1/2 guys get a chance to work on another Fallout title at some point down the line v:shobon:v

I haven't played the first two games and I prefer new vegas over fallout 3. Hi how are you

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

NMA make good, valid points about the various Fallout games before saying that it ruined the series FOREVER and Fallout 1 is the only true Fallout game and other spergy crap. They said Fallout 2 ruined the series forever, they said Tactics ruined the series forever, if Van Buren came out they would have said that ruined the series forever, they said Fallout 3 ruined the series forever and their view of New Vegas is that it's better than Fallout 3 but still not my true Fallout because Fallout 1 is the only true Fallout game! :qq:

Nevermind that Fallout 1 had a ton of flaws that were terrible even at the time of release.

Like the loving companions for one. :argh:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I don't know who NMA are but I think I'm better not knowing.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Fallout 4 looks cool. New Vegas will still be better written(probably).

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

"we can't write for poo poo, let's put everything but the kitchen sink in it"

The Saint's Row solution has an actual chance of working (not that GTA had decent writing since san andreas)

San Andreas was written well?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Count Canuckula posted:

I really hope there is low intelligence dialogue options where Troy Baker makes stupid loving noises in response to every dialogue choice.

Where am I?
How can I help?
Can I buy something? <---
Who are you?

"HNNNGG ME WANT THINGS BLUH"

If there wasn't in Fallout 3 I doubt there will be in Fallout 4. Especially now that everything has a voice attached to it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

frajaq posted:

How does it feel to incentive the literal raping of a beloved video game series?????

good

please don't use rape so casually

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I imagine Bethesda.net will be part of that whole modding on the xbox one thing. Cool if it works though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Okay, Fallout 4 is like having some rear end in a top hat put their quantum harmonizer in your photonic resonation chamber repeatedly against your will. Nothing but constant parabolic destabilization of the fission singularities all the way.

That sounds pretty painful

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

New Vegas had an amazing cast and I hope Bethesda takes note.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

This is a series where wearing pajamas increases charisma, I don't see why armor paint can't increase strength.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Fallout 4 probably won't let you kill every named character and will be a lesser game for it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

It wasn't baffling; it was baffling (if hilarious) that goon/goon-type folks were baffled by it. It's the same reason why the Warrior in Diablo 2 is the one that defeats Diablo, whereas the Mage and Archer/Thief become bad guys: the player is the Combat Guy, the other characters are the Magic Guys and the Thief Guys.

Yeah it shouldn't be a surprise most people prefer the default. A majority of people also rolled human in GW2.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

From other thread:

:gonk:

I am amused that you can send your newly pregnant ladies right back to work. "Yeah get back to work on that nuclear power generator. That won't affect your baby at all."

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

gently caress. That.

"essential npcs", is it that hard to implement a toggle?

Hey companions in New Vegas were essential. Just sayin'

edit: in not-hardcode mode, anyway

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

If murdering everyone in sight is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Hardcore mode was a toggle.

Please email todd howard at thoward@bethesda.net to lodge your complaint.

I don't see how this matters because a)maybe they'll bring hardcore mode back? and b) those who want their companions to be unessential can mod it that away anyway

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 17, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

That's the thing, you are. There's a reason why Obsidian took out the "And the Courier left New Vegas" ending. Not to mention, Lonesome Road is specifically about what your character did before the setting of the game.

That's no different than New Vegas essentially forcing you to walk the long way around to the titular city: to try and get you to feel something for the character/place in question. You can get your average player invested with a familial hook because we all have families and most of us don't hate our parents or something. If anything, NV had to do it more because there's no baseline give-a-poo poo about a fictional city.

New Vegas never forced you to take the long way, they guided you there. They gave you the tools to break that guided path and if you did not use those tools that is entirely your fault.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

megalodong posted:

Mr Bibs is an exceptional gimmick account but you really shouldn't take him seriously.

Ugh, but he's being wrong on the internet.

chitoryu12 posted:

We have seen criticism of:

1. Voiced dialogue, which dates back to criticisms I've seen elsewhere of the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games introducing voice acting for all NPCs causing restricted dialogue choices.

2. Essential NPCs, even NPCs who will make the plot unwinnable if killed.

3. Deciding any amount of backstory for the character.

Literally everything I mentioned in that post is based in actual criticism of Fallout 4 in this thread. It's a bunch of whiny pissbabies who are upset that developers aren't making their preferred hardcore content just for them.

I think most people just want bethesda not to roll back the advancements that obsidian made.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Bholder posted:

That's basically forcing

No forcing is when you demand a player go into a radiation filled death chamber when you have a ghoul, a super mutant, and a robot as possible companions.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is Liam Neeson going to be lending his voice to this?

Turns out he plays the baby. It's really weird.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Raygereio posted:

There's just no way that Bethesda-modding in its current form can work on the consoles. Bethesda needs to either seriously rework how modding their games work (for starters by supplying their own proper loadorder & conflict detection tools), or the mods-on-consoles ends up being Bethesda releasing certain mods that have been selected for compatibility & stability as free DLC.

Or they'll be limited to incredibly basic mods so load orders won't be an issue. Looking forward to thousands of texture mods on the Xbone! :v:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

B button Red (Mean) response: no u

(Award winning story brought to you by Bethesda)

Think of your dead wiiife. Think of your dead chiiiiild feel something

"Should have eaten that baby when I had the chance!" :argh:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Nuebot posted:

So there are literally no RPGs then, if video game writing is anything to go by?

Hey man that one deus ex game was pretty good

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

we could use a break from the same discussions imo

haha how about those video game huh

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Seriously? God New Vegas was great...

The ensuing dialog was great too.

"How did you do that?"
"...I have no idea."

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

KillerQueen posted:

I hope FO4 has more silly poo poo in it that New Vegas did. My favorite quest in 3 was the small town with the superhero in the robot suit and the eeeeevil Ant Queen, and I was always disappointed with NV's lack of intentional nonsense.

Did you not play Old World Blues at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Walrus Pete posted:

Oblivion is more immediately approachable and understandable than Morrowind, which goes a long way. I'm perfectly aware that Morrowind is way better than Oblivion, but I still can't bring myself to play it because of the combat. I'd probably love it if I had played it in its time, though.

You should probably check out morroblivion then.

• Locked thread