Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xehgV6VcMT4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I hope this gets a PS4 release. I'll only be getting 1/4 of the worth without the option for mods, but even with mods FO3 was decent dumb fun, and if that trailer is in-game it's going to be a great-looking game. I really really like the softer look they got going on.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I need to pay more attention. :downs:

I'll change my wish then to hoping it runs well on PS4. The Witcher 3 runs beautifully while looking very nice, and I hope Bethesda manages the same feat.

Generic Monk posted:

Yeah, if I had to compile a list of poo poo that no one asked for or particularly wanted out of a Bethasda game; 'voiced protagonist' would probably be at the top. Considering their record with most characters it wouldn't even be playing to their strengths. With any luck it's just for the trailer, or at the very least they have a female voice option too.

Skyrim was surprisingly popular with women who didn't usually play games of the type becasue it a)was fairly accessible and b)wasn't super heavily marketed towards an adolescent 'hey boobs/blood' male audience, with creating the character that represented you (or your cat/lizard alter ego) not having any effect on the gameplay. for all of skyrim's myriad flaws it was a nice (if inadvertent) boon.

well, I guess we can look forward to the paid moe anime player voice packs at least

Given how awful they wrote the main character in FO3 (the available dialogue options in the main story) I'm actually kind of excited to see the new depths of terrible writing now that they're having the main character voiced.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mackintosh posted:

Agreed. I think for a lot of people NV was too far into the future setting-wise. I think a lot of players wanted Fallout's setting to be in the early post-apocalyptic days, as opposed to 200 years in the future. Fallout 3's art direction and map design made it feel like the bombs fell recently. Which, obviously, was at odds with the entire Fallout lore.

Doesn't FO3 take place in the same timeframe?

e: I looked it up and yeah, NV takes place only a few decades after FO3.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

DC was a better setting because it's the goddamed capital of the US, and its strategic nature meant a lot of bombs would fall on it, ensuring that everything-is-rubble look would remain even 200 years down the line.

The nest NV expansion/mod/whatever was the one, unsurprisingly, that was a big corridor of ruined buildings. Fallout being post-apocalyptic, not post-post-apocalyptic, who would've thought.

No, the best NV expansion was the one with the crazy robot scientists.

And the capital wasteland looking like the bombs just fell doesn't make any sense. On it's own it wouldn't be so bad, but it's just part of many big and small issues with the writing that just makes the game grate on you after a while.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Whatever you define as 'Good Story Telling', it sure as hell didn't make New Vegas better than 3. Sympathetic but mundane good guys (NCR), unsympathetically evil guys (Cesar) fighting over a low-scale/low-impact thing (Hoover Dam). Yawn.

Compare to walking behind a giant gunmetal Optimus Prime, shouting anti-communist slogans, throwing nukes like a football, against remnants of the US Government, in order to purify the water for the entire east coast of the setting. loving awesome.

fnv is cool, fo3 is what twelve-year-olds think is cool hth

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

i hope we can turn him into a cyberdog like the one from fnv

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I've had enough of the Boy And His Dog poo poo from Bethesda to be honest. I don't have a PS4 or a tough enough PC to get Fallout 4 bur if and when I do get it I will be killing every single dog I see, even- no, especially- ones that are non-hostile and named.

lol if you think every npc isn't going to be unkillable

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Not sure what system to pick fallout 4 up for if i get it. PC or ps4. pc has mods and my computer can run it, but it will probaly be buggy as poo poo, and i hate tinkering around in mod menues and game crashs. So maybe ps4. Idk.

if you go console you'll trade bugginess for straight up crashes if the previous console ports are any indication. tho given this doesn't seem to be much of a major graphical upgrade, and the new consoles are much better/less weird apparently, that might not be an issue. who knows.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

megalodong posted:

I don't know how people can play fallout on consoles without the more realistic wasteland females mod.

you mean the one that gives them dongs, right?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I just started playing it for the first time and think I prefer 3 more as is, so far. Mostly because I think goodsprings and the surrounding desert isnt as interesting as fallout 3s intro but also because I think its weird that before even leaving the doctors shack you already have four sets of full condition armor and like ten weapons.

p2w ftw

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I assume it's fake if only because I'd like to believe someone isn't stupid enough to do that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Well that's what I did, including Boone, but then it comes back to the fact that the Capital Wasteland has much cooler things to see than the Mojave does.

I never understood this opinion. The majority of the attractions in FO3 are the same old thing, and the few unique things are usually really stupid (and not always in a good way).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

cargohills posted:

um, actually, caesar's legion was pretty clearly the BAD choice

the NCR is the THIS FACTION HAS NO INTERESTING CHARACTERS APART FROM BOONE choice

while House was the I WANT TO TALK TO SOMEONE INTERESTING OH GOD THE NCR WERE SO loving BORING choice

edit: also the karma system in NV was totally hosed, you could enact loving genocide and then kill a few fiends and you'd be Jesus again

IIRC they made the karma system do essentially nothing since they replaced it with the much better faction reputation thing. I think there's only a few times in the game where karma actually means anything, which is a good thing, since you can totally steal everything not nailed down so long as no one isn't looking.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ghost Stromboli posted:

Personally I'm worried by Bethesda's goal to focus more on a narrative for this one. Fallout 3 vs. New Vegas aside, has Bethesda ever really done an amazing story? My memory's too foggy to immediately recall anything past Oblivion, but Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim kinda has boring main plots. Oblivion's just sucks, FO3's is a bit more solid but gets kind of boring, and Skyrim's has a few neat moments with the dragons but the ending falls short. It would be nice to think they've been getting better at it, but it's hard to imagine.

Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim all have complete garbage plots. Bethesda's writers are dogshit.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

Skyrim was perfectly serviceable.

Eh, for the Civil War plot both sides were absolute assholes, and IIRC you could only side with one or the other in the end. The main plot was a really boring save the world type shlock with a boring villain (at least President Eden was charismatic as all hell).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

On the one hand, gating cities behind a million loading screens is so disliked, and open-city mods so popular, that Bethesda would have to be completely retarded to go that route yet again.

On the other, it's Bethesda.

Edit; Oh wait, I just remembered that this is getting released for consoles, too. So yeah, loading screens galore it is.

Witcher 3 has very few loading screens.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Flaky posted:

What is this guy's problem? There are plenty of trivial answers to his complaint, if only he would bother to continue his analysis past the totally superficial.

- What do they eat?

Uhhh, at least 3 of Moira's main quests (you know - pretty much the only NPC who actually gives you any significant number of quests in the whole drat game) is specifically designed to provide answers to this question. There is practically no crop production in the DC wasteland, because the water is radioactive. This is explicitly stated, just accept that much, please, seeing as you even admit in the article that you wont be holding radiation to realistic standards. It therefore makes no loving sense to have any living plants (or farms!:)) anywhere in DC. People eat by HUNTING, harvesting what little sustenance the wasteland can provide (molerats, mirelurk eggs, DOGMEAT, bloatfly flesh, radroach meat, Iguana bits), or scavenging food left over from before the war and then doing their best to detoxify it (adding wonderglue, making mirelurk cakes, using the FOOD SANITIZER that Moira gives you, just taking lots of RadAway etc.). It is explicitly made reference to that almost everyone is dying of radiation sickness or starving to death or thirst because of this. Nuka-cola (A DRINK) is practically the highest commodity. Wastelanders even (the horror!) revert to cannibalism (for which there is are not one, but several PERKS). Supermutants eat EVERYTHING. Ghouls eat EVERYTHING. Wild Dogs eat EVERYTHING. Especially juicy Vault-dwellers. As if that wasn't enough, at least one FOOD has evolved to absorb radiation (the punga fruit).

So shut up with your idiotic question! Most of the only decent quest in the whole game is totally devoted to SURVIVING IN THE WASTLAND, primarily by teaching the player where and how to look for food. There is constant reference to food, indeed most of the creatures you kill will drop a type of food on their corpse. Just because you didn't eat it because ~Rads~ doesn't mean it isn't there. In fact it is quite refreshing having loot drops that are so worthless that you can leave them behind, because that minimises inventory bloat.

One decent loving quest in the whole game, most of it about FOOD, and this genius's main criticism is that it isn't made explicity clear enough what people eat? For fucks sake why not ask a decent question - like why there are no lasting visual indicators of radiation poisoning or other diseases/mutations on the player, especially when so much effort went into allowing you to customise your character? Wouldn't that be fun? To try to maintain your character's appearance/health/status as non-ghoul by avoiding radiation?

same

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The lack of explanation of food isn't a flaw in and of itself, but it is indicative of how Bethesda's writers are complete poo poo.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I dunno, I'm generally in agreement with how Bethesda does it, and the way they do it makes their open world games critically and commercially successful.

Neither of those say anything about the game's actual quality. The former because games journalists are incapable of seeing any deeper than the surface level of anything, the latter because something being commerically successful doesn't mean it's actually good or creative (see: most comedians).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bullet time VATs is the one good thing they've shown.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Also the robot still being around just fine is retarded as poo poo.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Having there be a use for all the clutter is nice.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Andrast posted:

The combat still looks bad

But Todd Howard says it will be great! How can you not trust Todd Howard?!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Praetorian Mage posted:

I have to admit a lot of the stuff looks good, but I'm concerned about the dialogue system. The voiced protagonist worries me, as does the fact that the dialogue system uses the face buttons. Does that mean there won't ever be more than four dialogue options? I'm also worried that the dialogue system will make modded quests and dialogue very hard to do, but I guess that's something we'll have to wait and see about.

I bet a Low Int character won't be a thing an account of the voiced dialogue. Not that it was all that great in FO3/NV anyway, but it was nice to have some good dialogue options to pick at least.

Also worthy of note is that none of the gameplay footage used the female character. Kinda wonder if she was a more recent addition.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

GTA V. Autistic teenagers are the best entertainment.

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Which game did this happen with again, I can only remember it being loving funny as poo poo.

Anyone have a link to this?

KillerQueen posted:

I hope FO4 has more silly poo poo in it that New Vegas did. My favorite quest in 3 was the small town with the superhero in the robot suit and the eeeeevil Ant Queen, and I was always disappointed with NV's lack of intentional nonsense.

you should play the borderlands games

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

frajaq posted:

What? Morrowind is a pain in the rear end to play, at least Oblivion improved on that, and Skyrim made it even better

Morrowind does have a number of issues, but it's the only TES game I personally enjoy playing because it's the only one with anything particularly interesting. The quests are mostly boring Bethesda fare, but the overall setting and lore and the main plot (a real shocker) are actually pretty interesting. That makes Morrowind infinitely more fun and interesting than the more polished, but much shallower Oblivion/Skyrim.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SirDan3k posted:

Please people who love Morrowind are just chumps who never played Daggerfall.

Daggerfall is kinda bad. It's as awkward to play as Ultima Underworld, but with not much interesting to go for it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

They're very good at making bad games that sell incredible amounts of copies.

ftfy

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

When I said that Fallout 5 would be Sims 4, that was not hyperbole. In keeping with the general narrative of "life rebuilds" and T. Howard's "time only moves in one direction (and it's forward)" dogma, subsequent Fallout games can only resemble an increasingly domesticated wasteland. So you start with the first Fallout game (Fallout 3), which is an irradiated green hellscape where NPCs suck condensation off of toilet seats and Raiders eat old building insulation to assuage crippling pica. Then you've got New Vegas: The green subsides to a rusty brown (the dust is no longer radioactive) as civilization rebuilds with corn and concrete and the player assists factions wrestling for the future of society. Fallout 4/Fallout Shelter take this theme one step further, with entire swaths of the game dedicated to literally building and managing towns. Tens of hours will be spent scavenging scrap, pounding hammers to level up, and snatching perks that focus on things like "NPCs in town will be happier (production +10%)" and "Unlock Level [X] Merchants and Doctors".

Fallout 5 will return to the isometric perspective--something that will reduce the NMA community's groveling. That is, until T. Howard storms on stage and reveals that the game will use the same engine as the Sims 4. In fact, it will be the Sims 4, with a focus on managing the homes, interpersonal relationships, and careers of wastelanders. With a smarmy grin, T. Howard looks straight at the camera and says it will take place in the year 2345.

The sequel, Fallout: Wasteland Overseer will basically be a carbon copy of a Tycoon game that takes place in the year 2377--the same year that the Vault 101 PA System claims the US will be habitable again.

you are a good poster

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Clearly the pc didn't realize her preference until it was too late. Sure it's still silly, but it happens irl.

If Bethesda were competent this would be a thing you could decide based on dialogue options. As it is I'd be surprised if even the Lady Killer/Black Widow/etc. Perks make it in as is on account of the voiced dialogue thing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I kind of want to remake Star Control II now, so that you can't see what you're actually saying until you choose from a list of choices.

>Sounds hard.
"Hey, space is a tough place where wimps like you eat flaming plasma death."

I'm going to use this joke to go and tell everyone here to play the Star Control II port made by fans if they haven't played it before.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

Might want to use a guide to reach the interesting bits of the game, as you might expect from a 90s game there's a fair bit of padding.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Can I have some goon opinions on the PS4 version of this? Mainly regarding how bad the framerate is, functionally, like if it does get in the way with fights often, or not.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cool, thanks for the opinions. I'll probably pick it up in a Black Friday sale (or earlier if I get bored with MGSV).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AceSnyp3r posted:

You can get it at least 15% off (I think there's a 20% off code out there still) on GreenManGaming right now. I pre-ordered it on a 23% off deal. I have a feeling you won't see it on sale cheaper for a long time.

I know, but I got to get the PS4 version cause all I gots is a laptop.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Question about stealth; does it only synergize with melee (with some applications with explosives) like in the previous games or can it be used effectively with guns? I never liked how firing once basically made every enemy in the area instantly home in on you.

The Iron Rose posted:

So it turns out that nerds are terrible with money and writing mods is popular, because I've made 50 bucks through donations in the last three days. Holy poo poo I honestly didn't even imagine that anyone would do that, I'm kinda stunned right now.

Writing mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So with all the patches and DLC and stuff, I'm thinking of giving this another shake sometime in the future.

How is the performance on the PS4 version? I'm not expecting it to have been improved from launch so much as wondering if it hasn't gotten worse with the addition of the DLC, like FO3/NV.

Which (if any) of the DLCs are worth purchasing?

How is Survival mode now that it's been patched to be more than just a harder regular difficulty?

• Locked thread