Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Is there a bobblehead for every skill or just luck or what?

There's one for every SPECIAL stat and some that grant unique perks, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It was worth it to me if just to give a good weapon a boost and to get suppressors on everything I could. The latter is the thing I really wanted it for. If you don't mind going loud I think it loses some of its appeal.

In terms of customize energy weapons it didn't feel worth it. I found enough mods around the world to not need it.

I'm planning on rocking suppressors, so it sounds like I'll at least want Gun Nut. Thanks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

^ And yes, there are skill bobbleheads that are unrelated to SPECIAL in any way.

Volkerball posted:

So we'll be looking at +2 in every skill by the end of the game? Well, I can gameplan around that a bit for less important things that can wait until endgame.

He means:
  • There is one bobblehead for every SPECIAL stat.
  • There is one "You're SPECIAL" book that you can use to put one point into the SPECIAL stat of your choosing.
So on balance you're going to get 8 extra SPECIAL points if you pick them all up: one for each stat, and one that you can assign wherever you like.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 9, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Lifegiver looks awesome, 1 point in Lifegiver = 4 endurance points as far as HP is concerned, and also comes with health regen on the last level. It should pretty much completely negate the ill effect of having low END (unless you want those sweet high END perks of course, but they make sense only if you think you'll actually get hurt a lot which I plan to avoid by stealthing around and crit killing the poo poo out of things with a fully modded laser musket or whatever)

Do you not get HP on level up this time around? If so, then yeah, Lifegiver is probably crazy good. If not I could see it only being really worthwhile for the regen.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Having the conversation typed on screen then having the voice read the exact same thing you just read is dumb and no modern game does that. Name whatever game you think has great dialog and writing (mass effect, witcher, life is strange, walking dead) and literally every single one is doing the "pick the sort of response then the dialog expands on it" route instead of "the man reads the thing I clicked" like old games did.

Even if we're going to accept the premise that dialog wheels are a good thing, this is an exceptionally lovely implementation of it. It allows for at most four responses at every prompt (Mass Effect's allowed for six, though I'll grant it didn't always use them) and very, very short summaries of what you're about to say. When you're using a dialog input method that is always criticized for "the summary didn't give me a good idea of what my character would say," the answer is not "make the summaries even shorter and vaguer!"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Let's all go back to choosing from 1-27 paragraphs of text in a little scroll box.

This, but unironically.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

I wasn't being ironic, and was thinking specifically of things like Planescape and Icewind Dale, as well as Dragon Age Origins, their inheritor.

Imagine how much more nuance we could pile into our Commanders Shepard or Johns Fallout with that system. It's good. It is good unconditionally.

Yeah, I'm pretty much completely on board with that. I actually don't really see the need to have my character be voiced in a game like this. I'm not coming to Fallout or Dragon Age for a "cinematic experience." I understood it in Mass Effect, because that game's entire premise was "old school sci-fi movie," so making the dialog system more cinematic made sense. Stapling that onto every single RPG with a dialog system isn't the way to go, though.

I'd like to see a game like this try to add a little nuance into persuasion and intimidate checks, too. Instead of having grayed-out persuade and intimidate options that activate when you have the requisite skill, or percentage checks that you can try and possibly fail regardless of your skill level, have Speech skill silently add new options to the dialog menu without indicating that they're your persuade/intimidate options. Let the player figure out those are the better options. It's still not much--read the options and you can probably see "this one seems diplomatic and good and is probably my persuade option"--but it adds a layer beyond "pick the one flagged [SPEECH 70] for a better outcome!"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homullus posted:

It would need to have a toggle, because some people really worry about their *~*immersion*~* and some people really get mad when they can't tell what the optimal choice is unambiguously.

Two different difficulty sliders: combat difficulty and, I dunno, "roleplaying immersion" or whatever. The higher the "roleplaying difficulty" you pick, the less information you get that your character wouldn't have.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homullus posted:

Well, there you go again, talking like a rational person.

Actually it would probably be better to have that "immersion" slider just be a checklist so you can pick and choose which ones you want. I could see someone wanting to not have speech checks flagged but still want quest markers or whatever, so putting that on a continuum wouldn't make sense.

Every RPG should have an "Ironman" mode like X-COM where it autosaves constantly and you can't quicksave/load to get yourself out of a decision that turned out poorly. (Not a Bethesda game or really any game built on one of their engines because you just know it'd lead to a bunch of saves that run into gamebreaking bugs and then you can't reload an earlier save. :v:)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hosed up trying to play early with VPN. It "unlocked" and then I closed the window instead of immediately opening it and now it says Pre-Load instead of Play and no matter what I sent my VPN to. I had my chance and I ruined it. :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have begun playing through as Sterling Archer. I'm going to get all the gun perks and some sneaking and generally go on a wasteland rampage. I figure if Archer was in a post-apocalypse he'd get pretty into it.

MisterBibs posted:

Fallout is post-apocalyptic, not post-post-apocalyptic. The whole setting is "humanity survives and rebuilds, but doesn't rebuild that much." Logic about everything being hunky-dory 200 years later isn't true in this setting.

When stuff gets too well preserved or 'normal', you get New "PLEASE PLEASE care about this random city that doesn't have the Enclave or Super Mutants to threaten it" Vegas.

But New Vegas was the poo poo and I did indeed care because there were still threats and a compelling power struggle over a source of clean water. I don't see the problem.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

New Vegas will likely be ignored, story-wise, because nothing of import happened, if you look at things from the perspective of anywhere else in the setting. Some folks fought over some landmark for some reason, but who cares cuz there's a Super Mutant/Enclave remnant /Something Significant attack right here.

What, the potential expansion of the NCR or Caesar's Legion (or a very painful defeat for one/both) isn't of import? A landmark that is also a reliable source of clean water doesn't matter?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

Not on the east coast it isn't, no.

Well, sure, but his claim was New Vegas will never matter in a future Fallout game, not that it wouldn't matter specifically on the east coast. (Yet. You better believe the NCR wants to get there eventually, assuming it doesn't collapse under the weight of its own bureaucracy first.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Slo-Tek posted:

Holy poo poo the UI is trash. How did "poke one of these three buttons to accept, different buttons for different tasks though" and "poke these other three buttons to leave...also different buttons depending on what screen" even happen?

How difficult is it to make escape drill back and enter...you know, enter, consistently throughout? Is that something that can be modded?

I'm playing on PC with a controller because apparently the keybinds for favorited weapons/items are completely nonsensical. Even then the UI controls are pretty awful.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

Anyway, I'm sure the events in New Vegas will matter in some way the next time Obsidian touches the series if they ever do.

I'd love to believe we'll get an Obsidian-made follow-up to Fallout 4 but after the Metacritic score debacle and Obsidian heading off to Kickstarter land, I really don't expect it at all.

I want it real bad, though. :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Is Fallout 4 dissapointing so far? Should I avoid buying this if I could get MGSV and Witcher 3 on the same day, hypothetically?

It 100% depends on what you want out of a Fallout game or, more broadly, an open-world exploration RPG. If you want to run around a large-ish world, shoot raiders, get loot, and all that stuff, you'll probably dig Fallout 4. If you're in it more for character interactions or you like your RPGs with complex quest design, Witcher 3 is probably going to be a better bet.

Fintilgin posted:

I'd settle to a kickstarted Obsidian spiritual followup to the Fallout games done on the Pillars engine. It wouldn't even need to be post apocalyptic (maybe better if it isn't), but just a successor in terms of gameplay style and philosophy.

I'd back the hell out of that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Questions that I somehow didn't think of while I was playing yesterday:

1. Do random critical hits outside of VATS still happen, or is the critical meter the only source of criticals?

2. Similarly, do headshots count as critical hits for the purpose of the Better Criticals perk?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

Questions that I somehow didn't think of while I was playing yesterday:

1. Do random critical hits outside of VATS still happen, or is the critical meter the only source of criticals?

2. Similarly, do headshots count as critical hits for the purpose of the Better Criticals perk?

So from Googling around and asking on Reddit, I'm hearing that you don't get random critical hits outside of VATS. Headshots, sneak attacks, and critical hits are all separate things and don't really work together. So I guess only invest in Luck if you plan on using VATS a bunch. I'm not sure whether I plan on that myself or not.

(Also I'm perfectly willing to be corrected if someone knows otherwise. Reddit isn't always the best source.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phenotype posted:

How do I make a guy that can use energy weapons? The only damage perk that looks remotely close is Radiation damage at INT 9, which seems like an enormous investment. Does "non-automatic rifle" or whatever apply to anything, even if shoots plasma?

Energy weapons use the same damage perks as ballistic weapons. So Gunslinger, for example, works for both normal pistols and laser pistols.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are there suppressors for energy weapons? I kinda want to be a laser sniper man. Energy weapons feel really good to shoot this time around and the laser musket is cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

I've always liked, if not the depressing post-apocalyptic Fallout vibe, than at least the World of Tomorrow aesthetic / divergence timeline.

Despite the bugginess, I'm still tempted to get it.

Is the PC stuck wearing that vault suit for the whole game or does Fallout 4 have all the weapons / clothing options of the earlier games?

Lots of weapons/clothing options. You can ditch the Vault suit within like a minute of leaving the vault.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, because I modeled and named my character after Sterling Archer, I now need a good Archer build.

I don't really want to rely on VATS too much, so I'm reluctant to invest heavily in Luck, but Archer is like the luckiest man alive. Normal "spy" skills are a given (Sneak, Locksmith, maybe Hacking to represent him using devices to get around electronic things), but beyond that I'm not too sure.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

I haven't ditched it, though, unlike every other numbered Fallout. The extra energy resistance plus my armor's physical resistance balance out quite nicely, and I can see it being useful for a while yet. It's a good way to encourage using the thing, for once.

Yeah, I'm definitely still carrying it around. I haven't modded it much yet or worn much armor over it, but maybe that'd be a good idea.

I need to find a suit or a turtleneck or something so I can finally look like Archer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Didn't get a chance to dig into the game yet, is there an easy way to get a silenced sniper?

Also, can you silence the laser musket?

I don't think you can silence energy weapons. :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

alpha_destroy posted:

I can see the reluctance about luck, but ricochet seems like a very Archer trait. I'm trying to figure out if you should grab animal friend based on his love of ocelots or not since his rule against dogs.

Lady Killer? Archer's charisma is tricky. It feels like it should be 8 or 3 depending on your viewpoint.

For Charisma, I'm definitely doing the low-Charisma, boost with chems and clothes thing. Archer's super abrasive and awful but he can be charming under very specific circumstances.

What kind of weapons, do you think? I mean, Archer's a spy and pretty good at sneaking, but you don't see him snipe very often, which is definitely not my usual playstyle (I usually grab sniper rifles and go to town). Maybe get Gunslinger and Commando and use the Luck VATS perks to rampage when my sneaking inevitably fails?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

rap music posted:

I thought I would do a playthrough using stealth/melee. Having played for a bit, I no longer think this.

Is the problem with sneaking or melee, out of curiosity?

I've seen some people expressing frustration that stealth is just not worth it this time around (scripted events and enemy placements making it extraordinarily difficult to go undetected), but I haven't really started even trying to sneak yet so I don't know.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

No Pants posted:

That perk actually works even if you have the dog with you. :v:

What? It does? That makes it a lot more attractive. I like the idea of running around as just a dude and a dog and if I can get big bonuses for it that's even better.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there a better way to keep your power armor with you than "wear it every time you fast travel?" I eventually want to make a very Science! sort of dude who uses power armor a lot but it seems like it'll be a pain to make sure I actually have it available.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Not at all. You're shown you were in a stable, loving relationship with a wife/husband and a child, and both are taken from you.

I was shown that in only the most minimal of ways.

Bethesda does not do a good job of creating "personal" or "emotional" stakes in their stories and yet they keep building their stories around them, often to the detriment of the entire game's structure. When it comes to an open-world RPG built around exploration and adventuring around a rather wild wasteland, I much prefer the New Vegas approach of setting up a tenuous situation and throwing in the player as a wild card. Leave it up to me to decide what my character's motivation is and what his ultimate goal is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Given how some people couldn't grasp/accept the basic motivation of "my father escaped the Vault and I'm going to find him" from 3, I doubt any developer can fix Beep Boop Why Is Family Important in some people.

(paradoxically, I imagine this is the point where you claim NV made you care about the titular city, heh)

I didn't have to care about the city on a macro level. That wasn't the point.

I did care about Goodsprings, because they were nice to me and I helped them out with bandits. I cared about the doctors trying to work in New Vegas because I got to interact with them for a while and do quests for them. I cared about stopping Caesar's Legion because they were assholes to me and I saw them hurting and killing good people throughout the game. The game didn't say, "Your character is affiliated with these groups, here are some lines of dialog, remember that they are important to you." It let me decide which parts of the Mojave I gave a poo poo about and, in perhaps the best thing about the game, it let me (to a respectable, if constrained by the medium, degree) manipulate events to benefit the people I cared about, even if it meant leaving behind good people who might've benefited from a different outcome.

That was some cool poo poo.

At no point in Fallout 3 did I, as a player, care about my character's father. It takes more than a game telling me "your character cares about this other character" and giving me something like 20 minutes of actual time with that character (in a 50+ hour game) for it to count as motivation for the player. I can suspend my disbelief a bit and figure yeah, okay, my character cares about this virtual family, but it doesn't extend to me, the player, unless the game does some more work to make that happen. I don't think an open-world wasteland exploration RPG is the right place to even try that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why can't you decide that with this game?

You can, but the game isn't structured around it and, if I want to play some kinds of characters, I have to actively ignore the entire setup behind the main plot. My choices of motivation at the beginning are some combination of "find out who killed my wife," "find my child," and/or "get revenge." Like, that's great and all, and I'll at least get to decide how I interact with people as I go, and I'm sure I'll get some say in how events turn out at the end, but no matter what, I am playing as "Man/Woman who is out to find his/her child" from the get-go. That's inherently limiting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, in an RPG I like being able to set my own character motivations. Since that's literally what RPG means. Playing a role. So Bethesda makes a game where I'm a predefined character with a distinct motivation and background. Okay, sure, I can work with that. But then they don't make it to where I care about my motivation or my background. I'm briefly introduced to a person who says nice things about my character and shown that there is a baby there as well, and that's supposed to carry me through the entire storyline. Which it doesn't. So I'm left not really caring about the main plot, which is unfortunate. I didn't care about Martin, I didn't care about Dad, I don't care about Shaun, and yet the game won't stop bringing them up and making the plot revolve around them. I'm totally involved in the plot of Me Wandering the Wasteland With My Dog, but they seem determined to remind me that that's not the game I'm supposed to be playing.

The Witcher 3 has a pretty similar plot, all told: go find your (adopted) daughter.

And, for all its faults, it pulls that part off so well. We get a flashback where we don't just see Geralt bonding with her, we play as Geralt bonding with her. We see that she's an actual character. To be fair, the game's structure does cheat a bit by letting us play as Ciri whenever Geralt hears a story about what she's been up to, but that's part of what makes it work--we care about Ciri because we get to spend that quality time with her.

But, also, I don't really want that from a Fallout game. They might've been able to do it well in Fallout 4. I actually kind of like the idea that your character was in one of those social experiment vaults this time, and the idea of playing someone from the pre-war world who is totally lost in this new, post-apocalyptic version of his old home. But the writing doesn't support that. I've noticed very few dialog options that let you be confused or scared or despairing at the state of the world beyond the "hey, what's a ghoul?" exposition options, so I can't even really play that character.

MisterBibs posted:

So, yes, you're paradoxically saying that the fate of random towns, for a dude whose job keeps him from putting down roots, is somehow stronger than "My literal father left me" and "My child was stolen from me and my spouse was killed".

Yes, because this is a video game and not a movie, and I was allowed to (in my own time, while playing the game) connect with well-written characters and become involved in their fates. I get such a tiny amount of time with the father in Fallout 3 or the family in Fallout 4 to actually care about them beyond the game basically telling me "you care about these characters." There is a wide gulf between character motivation and player motivation, and I'm saying that Fallout 4 does an exceptionally poor job of motivating the player to care about it.

Other games have made me care about familial relationships by letting me actually play the game within those relationships. I cared about Geralt and Ciri's relationship in The Witcher 3 despite never reading any of the books. I cared about Joel and Ellie's relationship in The Last of Us because the whole game is structured around it. Fallout 4 does not do this. It gives you five minutes with a barely-characterized spouse and a can't-be-characterized-because-he's-an-infant Shaun and then takes them away to serve as a MacGuffin. That's not how you make a player give a poo poo about a character in a video game. It takes more than that to get from "this is the character's motivation" to "this is my motivation as a player."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I might be Playing It Wrong but I have barely used Vats at all the time around since the guns are so accurate when used manually. Maybe it is just because I can mouse aim it, controllers may be different

I feel like they're pushing VATS even harder this time around than in Fallout 3 (just look at the sheer number of VATS-specific perks, like fully 60% of the Luck perks), but you're not playing it wrong if you don't want to use it. The shooting in real time is better than it's ever been so I haven't been using it that much either, despite stupidly investing in Luck.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jack of Hearts posted:

Yeah, I am really getting to dislike the male protagonist in this game. He's characterized (and voiced, ugh) just enough that it keeps me from projecting an arbitrary personality onto him, but the level of characterization we get is also so little that I don't give a drat about the guy they force us to get to know for five minutes before the world ends. I enjoyed playing the Courier in NV, because he was whatever I wanted him to be. I enjoyed playing the specific role of Geralt of Rivia, because Geralt is cool and interesting. This guy kinda just sucks.

ImpAtom posted:

This is a huge problem with the game I think.

Your protagonist isn't blank slate enough to be a non-character but they're not developed enough to be even a Commander Shepard. They're a weird in-between.

I think it's just because dialog wheel + voiced protagonist is The Thing You Do now when it comes to AAA RPGs with dialog trees.

It worked well in Mass Effect because Mass Effect was explicitly designed to evoke science fiction movies. It was a dialog system designed to allow for cinematic scenes and it succeeded at that, for a lot of reasons. Alpha Protocol had a similar system for a similar reason: you were supposed to feel like you were playing a spy movie. Now that it's been grafted onto every type of RPG that isn't a Kickstarted throwback RPG, it's starting to really show how limiting it can be.

ImpAtom posted:

Luck has a lot of VATS perk because it is the critical hits thing and critical hits are more Vats focused.

Yeah, and I didn't get that before I made my character. I didn't realize that critical hits only really came from that Crit meter in VATS, so I went for 6 Luck so I could get Better Criticals. But since headshots, sneak attacks, and criticals are all separate now, I kind of regret it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Colgate posted:

Yeah, Witcher 3 did it right, but then again, I won't go into that game expecting a blank-slate protagonist, since Geralt is clearly well-defined in a game with a competent writing staff.

Devil's advocate, but I think even Fallout 3 did a better job in making you care than this game, which really says something. Even if you only cared enough to tell your dad gently caress you when you found him, it was still a choice you were able to make.

No, I think you're right. Fallout 3 didn't make me care about my character's father, but it did make me care about the other Vault 101 residents, like Amata and even the Tunnel Snakes dude. I think it was because they actually had characterization and I was able to choose to a much greater degree how my character interacted with them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also the voiced dialog and limited options is making me really want to reroll my Sterling Archer character. It's impossible to effectively roleplay that kind of character in this system, or at least, I feel like I'm fighting the dialog system to do it. (My girlfriend will be disappointed because she helped me make him look as much like Archer as is possible within the character creation.)

Maybe I'll have more fun playing Laser-And-Science-Man!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of Lasers-And-Science, anyone have tips for keeping your power armor within easy access? It seems like the best way to do it is to leave it at a settlement, explore an area on foot, and then fast travel away and back with your power armor if you need it, but that feels extra clunky to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Colgate posted:

I restarted. I still plan on sneaking, but I'm hoping focusing on pistols is a better choice than melee, which I'm quickly realizing was a bad idea. Also I put INT only at 4 this time, just so I can have access to advanced terminal hacking later, any more seems to be a waste. I want good Agility, Perception and Luck for the most part.

I can't decide if I want to do sneaking.

I plan to play on Hard just to run into more legendaries, and it seems like I can look forward to getting mobbed and ripped to shreds if I don't sneak around. But I also want to use lasers, and you can't silence those, so they have no synergy with a stealth build at all. Not really sure what to do about that.

NWO posted:

I just kind of dumped mine and left it. I keep feeling I should need it, but I can't be arsed. Is it plausible to just go without?

As far as I can tell, yes. I think it's really fun to use but it's a pain to keep it around so you can actually use it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I was wondering if this was an option, also can you customize the appearance of your wife? I didn't even try but I figure you can.

But yeah that sucks, you'd think in this day and age most RPGs have gotten with the program and offer some LGBT options. I mean Dragon Age is all over that poo poo.

Yes, you can customize both the husband and wife regardless of which you play as and the game remembers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How is Hard difficulty? I'm tempted to play on Hard because of the increased chance of running into legendaries, which seems fun, but I also have very little patience for bullet spongey enemies.

I'm also probably not going to sneak because lasers and I'm gathering that playing on higher-than-Normal difficulties without sneaking might just be an exercise in frustration.

Confirm/deny?

• Locked thread