Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Yeah I agree, the prewar stuff all looks bad but I think the rest looks okay. Maybe they did the prewar scenes in a rush for the trailer

Yeah they've been working on this game for 4+ years they sure are rushing this :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Caidin posted:

Honestly the only part of the trailer that looked bad to me was the guy and the dog at the end. I mean yeah I wasn't amazed but the shots otherwise looked decent.

My only real concern is that I might have to hang out with that dog.

gently caress dogs.

Just shoot the dog then.
*Dog is unconscious*

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Torgo2727 posted:

I have some friends that were excited about the trailer, and, in order to hype themselves for Fallout 4, are playing New Vegas. :allears:

I mean yeah why not? Playing that WOULD make you more excited if you didn't remember they aren't developed by the same people. It's probably better they remain ignorant. They probably love Fallout 3 just the same, though.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

khy posted:

I like the idea behind Radiant quests

What miswiring do you have in your brain to enjoy randomly generated quests over handmade ones? Are you a big mmo-fan?

khy posted:

Which lies exactly should I not believe in

that fallout 4 is worth purchasing

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Roobanguy posted:

look at the release date ;)

Ahahaha I see it now. What the hell is the 23rd month?

khy posted:

Why is reading so difficult for you that you can't finish reading the entire sentence I made that statement in? And while you're at it try reading the sentence directly after that, it's quite relevant as well.

And if you could please explain the rear end-backwards leaps of logic it took to interpret my words to mean that I like radiant quests more than questlines I would appreciate it. I can't really wrap my head around how you managed to come to that conclusion based on what I posted.

The fact that you think "Go to X and find Y" quests have any kind of potential is kinda weird dude

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Shugojin posted:

I don't know why you guys are arguing over what caused the war, Mothership Zeta made it clear it was the little aliens :confused:

Yep. According to Zeta aliens stole the launch codes and (probably) started the war.
~canon~

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The abduction happened while the nukes were already flying so at best they just added a little more glassed landscape to the planet as opposed to starting the MAD chain reaction in the first place

The Enclave and Shi say that China launched the nukes, and there was nobody else alive back then close enough to the conflict to tell so that's all we have to go by.

It's still dumb as all hell

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

There's a handful of pretty cool places in FO3. And the city of DC itself with Talons, Mutants and BOS fighting it out is cooler than anything I ever found in NV.

You keep saying this but you've never listed any interesting places in FO3.

compare
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_quests
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_quests

fallout 3 has 11 main quests 17 side quests
new vegas has 12 main quests in one line, 14 in another line, 10 in a third, and 9 in a fourth. It has 77 side quests

All of fallout 3's quests loving SUCK
go get a violin from a vault hahaha no thanks lady

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sharzak posted:

new vegas was better written and fo3 was more fun
there, everybody's happy

Except fallout 3 has no reason to be played except as a good reminder as to why new vegas was better and fallout 3 belongs in a trash heap

Rope kid I know you're reading this hire me I'll be your professional Obsidian PR guy pm me

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

khy posted:

Does New Vegas ever have anything on par with the Dunwich Building in FO3? God that was good.

A building with spooky ambient noises? Yeah FNV has tons. FNV also has places with atmosphere and story like Vault 11, something FO3 writers couldn't ever think up.

Remember, Fallout 4 isn't made by the company who fully fleshed out eight companions with quests and backstories, it's made by the company that thought "A vault of clones named Gary" was the pinnacle of zaniness XD

Die Laughing posted:

FO3 is the more "fun" game. So much wacky poo poo,

I agree. Sometimes I mix up my Invader Zim DVD's and accidentally pop in FO3. It's the same kind of dull boring humor I can't really tell the difference between them.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I would definitely like (or at least feel like I would) Fallout to have "gunplay" that feels more punchy and visceral, like Far Cry 3/4 or STALKER or Metro 2033. The thing is, I also feel that the character's stats should continue to influence things like accuracy, weapon sway, and even damage, because these mechanics are important to the RPG aspects of the game. In other words, if you're playing a frail egghead with a low weapon skill (and you're not willing to invest points into combative skills), the player shouldn't be able to use his/her own skills to completely circumvent the lack of skill points. There are a fair number of Fallout 3/NV mods that make the shooting a lot more like STALKER--guns kill in a few hits, accuracy is separated from weapon skill, guns have significant range boosts, etc.--and they trivialize a lot of the character building/growth process and the game economy. There's no real point in investing into Guns/Energy Weapons/Explosives if you're basically as dangerous at Level 1 with 20 points in a skill as you are at Level 30 with 100 points in that same skill; if even cheap weapons are deadly, there's no real point in searching for higher-tier weapons or buying them; if enemies die in fewer hits, then your ammo pool lasts a lot longer and any sort of item scarcity vanishes.

The problem for me is then: How can you maintain the RPG mechanics of the game while making guns feel more tangible and satisfying to use? It's definitely a difficult thing to achieve, but I would still love it if somebody figured it out.

It's hard because the last game of this type to have static weapon damage and varying accuracy was Morrowind and people vehemently hated that combat. Even though it was RPG-like as hell, literally internal d100's rolling for every action, people hated it because it didn't have that punch that 100% hit chance does. A game like Oblivion can have scaling weapon damage with player skill and get away with 100% hit chance easily, you can attribute the lower damage to having tiny baby biceps (low weapon skill). Fallout3/New Vegas can't use that excuse because a gun does the same thing no matter who uses it. One mod for NV flattened all gun damage but made the scope sway wildly with lower skill. I thought that was maybe a bit too much, but for the game to slide back a few notches from weird FPS to good RPG something like that seems necessary.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Most pre-Oblivion open-world RPGs tended to feature beef gates and no level scaling though. It makes going back to areas rewarding and gives a nice edge to exploration, because it's actually dangerous. Clearly Bethesda's style resonates with people, but let's not pretend there aren't alternatives.

P.S. : New Vegas went overboard with the geographical limits. Having roughly two routes at the beginning feels too limiting for a game released just two years after Fallout 3.

Hahaha look at this guy who thought there were only two routes.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

20 bucks says Legendary Weapons and Enemies have no real distinction from their baseline asides from higher stats; a Legendary Raider looks and acts as a normal raider with the only distinction being that he has a better gun that looks no different from a regular gun and you'll need to shoot him for a week to kill him.

How much do you want to bet the legendary enemies are actually called "Legendary ______"

No backstory, nothing special, just legendary as a prefix and bonus stats

don't take this bet

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I cannot kill dogmeat or tell him to get bent
I cannot kill the first group of people I meet in the wasteland
Base building is really boring

I'm 3 hours in and this is a solid 4/10

I'm coming off playing Destiny for the first time so the gunplay feels like trash as well.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

[Sarcastic] Looks like Bethesda released another winner.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Settlements are pretty much retarded time sinks for wanna-be architects to minecraft endorphins into their pea brains. If the UI/controls weren't bad maybe it wouldn't be so loving maddening. I bet it ends up as a lovely tower defense mode. What is even the point in getting tons of people in settlements?

The armor situation is hosed even more so. I think you equip a base armor?? Then equip other pieces on top of that? When you select a new piece of armor it only says whether it has higher or lower values than your current armor. It could be +1 physical but -10 energy defense but all you'll see is "+++" and "---"

But all of that is also pointless because power armor is free at the beginning of the game. A tiny bit of scavenging means you never have to leave your "turn the wasteland into a burning hosed-to-death pile of caca" suit. Basically ever.

Ghouls are mega quick now. Maybe too quick. They're neat though.

6 hours in and the game still disappoints me with quests. Guy at quarry wants water drained. Why? I dunno but he does rofl gl. Drain the water and mirelurks come out. "Thanks for the help here's 50 caps" TELL ME WHAT YOU'RE DOING YOU gently caress WHY ARE YOU HERE

The biggest positive I can give this game is wowee at that loot interface. That only took a decade.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

pro tip for anyone having trouble early on (not really spoilers but I'll spoil it anyway)

do the brotherhood of steel quest at the police station southeast of the starting location. You get his laser rifle and it's basically a free legendary. Because he's an invincible NPC you never have to fire a single bullet and you collect the free gun

a few hours more into it I think I might upgrade it to a 7.5-8/10. The writing is weak but if you play it like fps diablo (aka destiny) it gets a bit more fun. Bethesda REALLY wants you to read the 100000 data logs in terminals to read their stories. I don't know if anyone actually does, but just a heads up: they are not great!

They're much better with visual storytelling using item placement etc.

mbt fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 11, 2015

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

is there anything neat in kendall hospital other than the loving deathclaw that spawns at the bottom

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

looooool all negative reviews on the store page http://store.steampowered.com/app/377160/

haha
http://store.steampowered.com/app/22380/

Fallout 4 has more negative reviews than NV
and 24000 less positive reviews

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Eonwe posted:

i cant wait for a mod with a good story

some crazy dudes made a great mod for fallout 3 called new vegas, you should check it out

I played some more and had some more okay experiences and some other really weird/bad/disappointing ones, which seems to be par for the course at this point.

Right outside of boston (which by the way is a pitiful sized actual living city, I think megaton was larger, boston just has more ruins surrounding it), there's this place called something something cul-de-sac, surrounded by locked gates. There didn't seem to be any way in for non-master lock pickers so I naturally found a box with a wall next to it and abused the terrain to jump over the gate. Easy bandits inside, one had a key to the cul-de-sac gates. What just happened? What was the intentional solution to this place? If I got in legitimately I wouldn't need the key that the guy had. :confused:

I found this subway which got me super pumped to fight ghouls (not actually that was a joke) but inside there were 1000 people named "triggerman", which I assume is a large extended family inhabiting this subway tunnel. One yelled "He's here for the detective!" Which I only later found out was related to a quest I didn't pick up yet.

Next I found a place called swan lake, out popped a super mutant with swan boats for armor I thought oh man this is rad I can't wait to see the drops. A few minutes of kiting around trees later, he drops a randomly generated legendary arm piece that reflects 10% of melee damage. At that point I turned off the game.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Prophecy120 posted:

Wasn't Brotherhood of Steel set in the Texas Commonwealth? I'd love to see a modern Fallout set in Texas.

why

there's nothing there

Even Chicago seems like a more interesting setting

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Reveilled posted:

This is several pages late, but do not do this before you get a quest from an opposing faction to do it, unless you're willing to risk breaking the main quest. The game will quite happily let you massacre everyone on the Prydwen, then promptly break several hours later when it's trying to transition from one quest to another.

is this a joke?

I murderboned the BOS and Railroad because those retards invited in a psychopath, but I'm going with institute this time. Maxson and Desmonna are gibbed.

If that makes the quests fail to trigger this might be a step below my already low expectations

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fallout / Gabriel Knight crossover, I'm still hyped

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Someone made this exact post like a week ago.

Synths do not eat or reproduce or age or interact with the environment in any meaningful way. Even if there was some way around this, they don't evolve. Finally, if you were to try and rebuild the world like this, picking random large mammals and introducing them one at a time would be futile. You'd need to start at the bottom of the food chain with synth bacteria and algae and work your way up.

Synths eat and "digest realistically" so they definitely impact the environment in some way. If your goal is to make fake organisms with no nutritional value because they're made of metal and plastic, apex predators are all you can really make.

ie, gorillas, hawks, alligators

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

We've already put more thought into the Institute plans than Bethesda did

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kurzon posted:

What I love about the design of Fallout 4 is that the game never forces you to do anything challenging and thus accommodates many play-styles. The game is non-linear, there is little level-scaling, and enemies always yield XP no matter how weak they are. Thus, you're not obliged to optimize your character's gear and perk build. If you like, you can play a crazy barefisted nudist and grind your way to level 100 by fighting only mole rats.

Yes, the story is poo poo but the gameplay is excellent.

I never thought I'd read "lack of difficulty" as a selling point :shepicide:

There is level scaling :ssh:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kurzon posted:

There is some but not much. It's not like Oblivion where every bandit scales to your level and eventually sport glass armor. I'm level 56 now and I enjoy swaggering through the Commonwealth casually whupping every Behemoth that crosses my path.

This sound as much fun as turning on god mode

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kurzon posted:

Just start a new game if that bores you. I find pleasure in it because I earned that power.

Really? Because I didn't do anything special. I just played the game as intended and became a powerhouse on Survival. Usually that takes extended playthroughs before you become a living god.

Unless you count "loot things" as special

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ending slides
nothing on companions which is pretty lol. "I wasn't prepared for the future, but this time I'm ready, because war....war never changes" I have never heard such a poo poo ending to a game possibly ever.

I don't actually know what the appeal of this game is. "the next fallout game"? That must be it, because there is nothing else here. This is the poorest excuse for a new vegas expansion pack I've ever seen.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

shovelbum posted:

Replaying New Vegas right now and even modded to get rid of the irritating repair system it's just not as fun as Boston. I miss the heftier power armor and the open urban environment so much and the lore and better story just don't make up for the brown empty world.

:eyepop: That's really cool, I didn't know NV doesn't hold up anymore, especially when compared with Fallout 4.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Slowpoke! posted:

Vaults were my favorite part of Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I was also underwhelmed by Fallout 4's Vaults. To me, they are a chance to explore something truly weird and different compared to the outside wasteland, so its disappointing when it ends up being Raider Vault, Ghoul Vault, Robot Vault & Mutant Insect Vault.

Dude, remember when that vault had clones of a guy named Gary :D That was my all time favorite fallout moment.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaarryyyyyy!!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Being accurate isn't always fun. I've ridden on the DC metro countless times and every time I play FO3 I see one and think "oh wow that's neat" then try my best to never step foot in one again. Except that's impossible because invisible wall rubble blocks your way.

What's neat is when you DO something with the accuracy, like making the Repconn test site in new vegas a neat place with ghouls who want to go to outer space. It's a real life place (based on the Pepcon rocket fuel plant) AND it's more than just "hey we made this place in a video game isn't that cool"

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Gynovore posted:

If there are any billionaires reading this, please give me $20 million to make Fallout 5. All I'll need are 5 coders, 10 3D modelers, 10 texture artists, 20 world builders, and a license for the latest Unreal engine. I'll do all the writing and playtesting myself, and I guarantee it will come out better that this piece of plop.

You can't make an open-world Bethesda game on this scale without bugs. it's LITERALLY impossible, believe me, I've tried.

Anyone who says they should bugtest their games more, or put more money into writing needs to check themselves and realize what they're asking is impossible.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ranter posted:

Correct, it's impossible to make a Bethesda game without bugs. What did you do when you worked for Bethesda?

I was the project lead and designer on Redguard and other, lesser, projects

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fallout 4 is the best game I have ever played. Previously this title belonged to the Last of Us but now, as I sit tired and addicted, needing to get to class but wanting to spend untold hours of my life on this game, I can honestly say it's the best game I've ever played. I'm supposed to be working on my business. I'm supposed to be working on my script. But drat if i just don't want to fall back in to Fallout. The whole thing just blows me away. The story, the visuals, the creativity and the DEEP care and thoughtfulness that Bethesda took in creating this masterpiece is just too much.
Bethesda is a learning organization, they learned not just from their own failures and success but the successes and failures of others as well. They payed attention to what people were saying and they improved beyond my wildest dreams. I honestly don't know where to begin in my grand list of praises. I could talk about the extraordinary characterizations. I could talk about all the little moments that mean so much. I could talk about the outrageously amazing factions, and your place in them. I could talk about the way the music hits the right notes when you enter different areas. I could talk about the compelling drive to find Shaun out there, and the way I beat Kellog to death with my own to hands. The exceptional voice acting. Taking Psycho, "loving Kill!". Ramming a Super Mutant Overlord off a 4 story structure with Power Armor, and just when he hits the ground and thinks he can breath a bit, I slam down on his chest, with explosive vents. When some punk raider thinks he can run up on you and you put his lights out with the end of your rifle. Trembling as a deathclaw throws you like a football. Making Curie blush. Seducing Magnolia. Flying around Boston in a Vertibird. Talking code with the railroad. That sense of restoring hope. It's all just too much. I'm guess I'm a fan boy for real.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the worst part of those steam statistics is that more people are excited for DLC of a mediocre game than dark souls 3 and street fighter 5

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

A game that had a very 'meh' previous entry and a game that's giving people flashbacks to Diablo 3's launch week.

bloodborne was great, I don't know what you're talking about

Fallout has only had two good games in its whole lineage, neither of which were made by Bethesda.

when's the GECK 3.0 coming out, did they announce that yet

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

...Bloodborne was not the previous entry in the Dark Souls series.

read the fine print, it's "king's field 8: bloodborne", followed by "king's field 9: dark souls: 3"

but enough about kings field, and more on how it's wicked crazy that that idea of cool stuff in the future is making people spend $30 even though they spent $60 with the same logic got them "most disappointing game 2015".

don't believe todd's lies again for the fifth time

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Volkerball posted:

i'm sorry you are allergic to fun. i look forward to hearing your review of the dlc on release day.

fun is just a buzzword when you can't actually think of any real reasons as to why the game is good

I don't own fallout 4 anymore. it wasn't "immersive" enough for me.

I wonder if the DLC is going to be DRM free like the rest of them, just a bsa and an esm. Probably will be, so that's a plus.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

PC can use a controller, your a mad man if you try to play dark souls with a keyboard and "mouse". The game literally doesnt use the mouse, it expects you use use WASD and press keys like P and L. Good Luck with that.

I would think the major reason is you don't see hackers on consoles. For pvp gods that's a big deal, for people like me who think getting invaded is the absolute least fun part of souls games, cheating owns bones, get wreckaroni'd invaders hope you think twice before ruining someone else's game.

Same deal with fallout though, I'd never not play on PC because cheating out some of the dumber parts of gameplay makes the game a lot better.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

However that is among the dumbest quests Bethesda has ever created.

don't tell pete hines that, he'll block you from twitter

personally I can't wait to see what kind of vaults they cook up for this dlc. I'm thinking a call back to my previous favorite vault, except this time it's filled with clones named Larry. LARRRRRRYYYY haha I just can't wait guys, it's gonna be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

radio station ranking

1. Black Mountain Radio
2. Galaxy News Radio
3. Radio New Vegas
4. Pre-quest Diamond City Radio
5. Static
6.Post-quest Diamond City Radio