Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So what's going to happen when we see the before and after pictures of the graphics and then have to deal with the "downgrade" for console plebs and then Utanyan comes and shits up the whole thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lord Chumley posted:

Is. Denver is mentioned in that state many times in NV.

The Legion dog trainer at The Fort in New Vegas grew up around Denver where his tribe worshipped the animal gods before Caesar kicked their asses.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm wondering if putting the game in Beantown will mean we get some hockey references. I'd love to see a bunch of Super Mutants set up shop at TD Garden and arm themselves with sticks and skate blades.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hihohe posted:

Nothing beats Old World Blues. THE BIG MT! ROBOSCORPIANS! NIGHTSTALKERS! LOBOTIMITES! MUGGY!
The best DLC

[Intelligence]: I HAVE BEEN UPLOADED WITH THE BRAIN OF DOCTOR MOBIUS!

Dr Klein: That is the most insane thing I have ever heard.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really wonder what would happen if the NCR or the hardline West Coast Brotherhood landed out east.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So with the conflict between the Brotherhood and the Institute probably forming the central civil war quest of the game, which side is going to take which nazi traits? The Stormcloaks were all Aryan superiority Kristallnacht against the elves while the Empire had the Altmer SS officers committing Nord holocaust.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SunAndSpring posted:

Did Bethesda ever explain why they never go back in time with a new game, only forwards? Because while it makes sense for a series like TES, where there is so much documented history in-universe that doing a prequel becomes a huge clusterfuck, Fallout has enough blank spaces on the map where nothing is known that they could easily turn the dial back some years.

Didn't stop Bethesda and Zenimax from making ESO and creating a new secret history nobody had ever heard of to justify having a faction system.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think that the worst thing about that metacritic stipulation was that it was out of Obsidian's hands when it came to bugfixing. New Vegas's biggest criticism was that it was a buggy mess of a game, which affected the score. But Obsidian only did initial bugfixes, Quality Assurance was to be handled by Bethesda, whom we have established at this point to be completely loving terrible at bugfixing. Hell, didn't one Obsidian dev come out and say that several features were working as intended when they sent NV off to QA, only for them to come out on store shelves completely broken? Okay, apparently this was an NPC that was supposed to be set as Essential.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 12, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Raygereio posted:

A common conspiracy theory that follows out of this is that Bethesda intentionally sabotaged F:NV.
Which naturally is complete nonsense. I mean in order to do something intentionally, you have to have some measure of competency. We're talking about the company who for their own game refused to fix bugs that would have trivial to fix (for example just replacing a > with a <) and introduced backwards flying dragons with a patch (which is a pretty strong indicator no one bothered to actually test stuff). And let's not forget the whole "Woops. We broke how the game handles memory. Oh well. Time to end patch support!" practical joke they pulled.

And I'm not saying that I follow the conspiracy theory. Never attribute to malice what can be explained through incompetence and all that. Bethesda just loving sucks at bugfixes, and sadly Obsidian took flak for it instead because of their past issues with buggy releases.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ShadowMar posted:

The Witcher games have a short sentence paraphrasing it the dialogue. Usually longer than Mass Effect but not the whole line but it's easier to know what it'll make you say and the tone.

Witcher 2 first dialogue options
"Roche offers you his hand while you're handcuffed"

Geralt chooses the option that says "funny"

Geralt says gently caress YOU!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So how about that Bethesda.net distribution platform then? Get your five dollar fishing mods right here!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I'm downloading the new GTX 960m driver. Tried starting the game without the update and I got a flickering screen before I shut the game down and then it refused to launch after that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This game presents itself as an idiot's guide to Fallout, assuming the player has never played Fallout before and knows absolutely nothing about the setting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did they get rid of weapon deterioration?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Man, the Gun Runners really need to expand their operations out east. These guys have got crap to work with. When we finally get to the point where the East and West Coast games intersect, the East Coast is gonna be in deep poo poo.

Haha, Boston Rad-Sox.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

revmoo posted:

San Fran would be rad.
Isn't Shi-Town from the old games in the ruins of San Francisco? It's population was descended from Chinese POWs.

Obsidian at one point said they'd like to make a game set in the Los Angeles Boneyard, right in the heartland of the NCR. Considering how bad the NCR is at managing their trade routes from raiders, you could still maintain that lawless feel.

Does Preston not know who or what the Vault Dwellers are? It always seemed like common knowledge before, but Preston only gives a cursory challenge to your character's questions. "You don't know what a loving Ghoul is? You're not from here, eh?"

Is it too much for me to expect that Shaun's kidnapping actually happened decades ago and I was frozen again before escaping. That's probably giving Bethesda too much credit.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 11, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PantsBandit posted:

The laser musket is one of the coolest weapons I've seen in recent memory. It's really a genius way to essentially make a bolt-action laser gun.

Now, the whole idea of turning a crank to "charge up" a laser is a bit silly but I'll be goddamned if it doesn't feel so loving good in combat.

I demand somebody mod in the "Pop Goes the Weasel" tune to the Laser Musket.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mostkillingest posted:

Game makes me motion sick, first game to ever do so. I have tried changing the FOV and removing mouse acceleration but this isn't helping. Anyone else have this problem, and been able to solve it? I can do about 10 minutes and then can't stand it anymore. I can play all other Fallout games and FPS with no problem.

Have you turned motion blur off? That always makes me dizzy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I always liked how in New Vegas, higher Survival would not only increase the benefits of food, but also their defects as well. So while a low survival would provide a +1 Charisma and -1 Intelligence, 100 level Survival made you +4 Charisma -4 Intelligence, making you an unintelligible womanizer who can meet Dog/God on an intellectual level.

Two questions: One, how do you scrap weapons? Can I only scrap them from the weapon mod workbench?
Two: why the hell do they not give you exp for kills made by your companions?

Upgraded my hunting rifle into a nice sniper rifle. Why is the bolt on the left hand side though?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 13, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bholder posted:

So from what I coukd gather, this is the first Bethesda game where food is useful without mods?

Skyrim had some insane soups and stews you could craft that basically gave you infinite stamina.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do they ever explain just what the Super Mutants are doing in the Commonwealth? Are they the ones from Washington just migrating throughout the east coast? Or was there yet another FEV experiment going on?

I miss the Nightkin.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

King Vidiot posted:

The only thing I don't like about Stimpaks in this game is the stupid animation. I don't need that poo poo in the middle of a fight, like I guess they added it for "realism" but that's all negated if you use it from your Pip Boy anyways so what's the point.

Nah you see the Far Cry series decided that real time healing was cool, so we need is for *Immersion*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay Bethesda, I thought you learned your lesson when you made all locks pickable in Skyrim regardless of lockpicking skill.

So why the gently caress did you gate off the ability to pick better locks behind level caps and Perception requirements?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Andrast posted:

Because it's supposed to be an RPG and it's normal for RPGs to gate abilities behind ability scores/skills/level

Skyrim just made the lockpicking skill useless since you could always pick every lock no matter the character.

No, Skyrim made lockpicking easier if you leveled it up, but it didn't prevent you from trying. The perk tree also gave you better look and extra bonuses to make Lockpicking easier. I just don't understand why they have to go back to the godawful "you cannot even try this lock without the requisite perk" method of fallout. For a game that has taken a list of must have New Vegas mods and incorporated them into the main gameplay, why the hell they didn't provide alternative methods for lock opening is beyond me. Grab a stick of dynamite or some grenades and blow the lock off.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Andrast posted:

The lockpicking minigame in Skyrim (and consequently in Fallout 4) was always trivial and there was no point to locks at all in that game because of it.

Also, New Vegas didn't allow you to pick locks without high enough skill.

It sucked in New vegas as well. Honestly the lockpicking and hacking minigames are more frustrating then they are worth. Waiting on a mod to disable them or make them easy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Azhais posted:

The lockpicking minigame has been used in like 90% of stealth shooters in recent memory and is so trivial I don't know why people whine about it. It takes longer to bring up the interface than it does to pick the lock

But then you lock away the ability to unlock higher level locks behind a level cap? It's dumb enough needing to get a perk to even attempt a higher level lock, but to then require you to be a certain level before that perk even becomes available?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

anatomi posted:

I kinda feel that lock-picking/hacking should be available to all characters. It's lovely to be hard-locked out of content (getting different content is awesome, though).

At least provide players with alternative solutions to crack a safe or a computer (automated hack-tool, blow-torch, explosives, bashing, machine-whispering, stupid guesses and so on) in addition to variants (different types of locks, computer systems). Add some penalties if absolutely necessary.

Exactly, take Deus Ex Human Revolution. If you don't upgrade your hacking skill, you can still buy auto hacks to get through high level locks. You pay money but you get results and it allows you to put more points somewhere else.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Where do I put a water purifier? I tried putting one on dirt but it didn't work.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Inon Zur pulled out all the stops for this soundtrack, didn't he? Diamond City's music is loving amazing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm stuck and I can't exit a crafting menu by pressing tab. Is there a console command that gets me out?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know Bethesda pretty much built this game off of the most popular mods, but oh man did they have to take the "dainty lady run" animations as well? Why is the running so goofy in this game?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Great, I'm not trying to follow base building too much outside of Sanctuary, but if I don't look after another settlement, I just get a message that they were all wiped out by raiders. Abernathy Farms got hosed after I did one quest for them. There's no loving resources around there to scrap to make decent defenses unless I haul six tons of material there from Sanctuary, so they all died.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is the 9mm pistol in the game somewhere? I thought I saw it on a loading screen but I've never come across one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm going to assume that the main character only moved to Boston and never actually lived there for a long time before the bombs fell. I ran across a guy looking for Bunker Hill and my character didn't know where that was. Seriously, it would be loving awesome if the game let you play this snobby know it all who remembers where all the cool poo poo from Pre War boston is rather than constantly asking for directions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tenzarin posted:

Russian fallout is called metro lastight, they already have two games out.

I think you mean Stalker. The Metro series is more linear and has less drunken guitar ballads.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Somebody please get rid of that half second transition from hip fire to scoped for scopes please.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Soundtrack needs more Johnny Guitar.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I just did that Supermutant tower quest where you rescue the Shakespearean Actor and his Mutant buddy, Strong. Apparently Strong is voiced by Sean Schemmel, aka Goku.
If I didn't ask Strong to follow me as a companion, where can I find him again if I want to have him later?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ravenkult posted:

Yeah, Bethesda kinda hosed it up because in previous Fallouts they had only just begun rolling that stuff out, while FO4 posits that everyone was driving their reactor cars around and poo poo. So why was there still a war for oil?

Just because fusion powered cars were around doesn't mean they didn't still need oil for other things. It's a too little too late issue, not to mention pre-war America was extremely ignorant of just how bad the resource wars had gotten. Even in New Vegas there are a ton of fusion powered car wrecks.

Is there a way I can stop my settlers from eating all my mutfruits? They've harvested over a hundred corn carrots and tatos each, but I never have any mutfruits in my workshop inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did the quest where you go into Kellog's Brain
Now, I've already been spoiled as to the twist, so I have some niggling questions. If Kellog was kept looking like he was in his forties for sixty years between Shaun's kidnapping and you killing him, he'd be over a hundred years old by the time of Fallout 4. However, his brain stories say he grew up in San Francisco in the NCR. Shaun was kidnapped in 2227, and San Francisco wasn't even part of the NCR by 2241 during Fallout 2. The NCR was still in its infancy while Kellog was growing up.

So Bethesda has no idea how dates work.

• Locked thread