Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sout
Apr 24, 2014

Look Sir Droids posted:

I've been kicking around a New Vegas run where I have to drink beer and liquor any time I find it. Have to immediately drink it. Can't try to avoid finding it. If I see it, I have to put it in my inventory and drink it. I think it would work out well for a Yes Man run.

But not drugs. My character may be a wino, but he has a code.

Yeah, in my recent playthrough I've just been carrying round one/two of every type of alcohol to reduce my chances of addiction, I'm the Noah of booze.

[I sounded pretty harsh in my other comment but I've probably had a very unhealthy amount of Cokes in one day before so no judging]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

In both Fallout 3 and New Vegas alcohol has a flat chance of addiction so you will always have the chance to be addicted on the first use, the regular drugs have a safe first dose.

Oh well, might as well start chugging constantly then.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

Did Bethesda ever explain why they never go back in time with a new game, only forwards? Because while it makes sense for a series like TES, where there is so much documented history in-universe that doing a prequel becomes a huge clusterfuck, Fallout has enough blank spaces on the map where nothing is known that they could easily turn the dial back some years.

I think the reason I was never bothered by the "200 years" thing in Fallout 3 was because I didn't pay attention to the dates very closely.

But yeah it's dumb, I wonder if they forced Obsidian to adopt 2281 for NV for the same reason, but it's funny how they will only advance the date a couple of years to try and slow the rate at which post-apocalypsia becomes more and more absurd.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Even in fallout 1 bottle caps were explained as being backed by merchants in the hub for its finite amount. Its not realistic but its a cool thing that builds the setting. In fallout 3 they use bottle caps because im a doo doo baby gaga googoo i poop in diapee

You'd think DC would be full of $$$, right?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

GirlBones posted:

F3 was the first game in the franchise I played and I think it's a donkey dick of a game compared to NV.

Same.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Another E3, another "all the panels I would want to watch happen at like 3-5am each day."

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Shugojin posted:

a bunch of idiots

i went to the site once before fallout 3 caem out and found some guy declaring that obviously fallout 3 will be trash because it needs two hands to play so you can't eat a bowl of cereal and play it

What a dumb loving series this is that an autowalk button is a really good feature.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

If you're wondering how people in a 50s-inspired nuclear wastelander eats and breaths, and other :science: SCIENCE! :science: facts, repeat to yourself "It's just a game, I should really just relax."

EYEBOT ROLLCALL

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Woah, apparently Burke was removed from Japanese Fallout 3, therefore removing the quest that allows you to blow up Megaton.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Eonwe posted:

guys calm down i promise you'll see more tonight

stop going crazy and attacking each other over how video game characters eat

How can they chew their food if they can't even lip sync properly!?
Everything's hosed!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Sole Survivor posted:

Bethesda is doing an E3 presentation at 9 PM EST tonight, hopefully we'll get more info then. If not tonight, probably some time this week.

Good old timezones: guess I'll watch all the stuff tomorrow morning: please don't be bad Bethesda, that would be really cool if you managed to do something good.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Okay, just managed to watch it.
What is this loving game?

I'm fairly excited, seems to be some cool stuff shown off and it doesn't seem to be a carbon copy of Fallout 3 at least.
loving weird though, Minecraft and jetpacks I guess.
New VATS looks pretty good imo.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Kingtheninja posted:

So can you only play as a male through the storyline? I know you can customize the female but didn't catch if you could play as her or not, and I thought I heard people saying you could switch after completing the game or some weird poo poo.

No, you can play as a female: hence Todd's amusing little outburst "and of course you can play as a female"

sout
Apr 24, 2014

How do people feel about the graphics now? I thought it didn't look too bad in motion, but then again I haven't played the Witcher 3 so gently caress me right?

also

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah a charismatic liar with a lot of luck but otherwise a wimpy, mentally retarded nerd sounds about right for Todd Howard.
lol

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Oh I'm gunna play Fallout 4 but the collector's edition pip-boy is a step too far for me.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Also I wonder if we'll see a traditional dialogue interface mod, with the subtitle text showing up instead of 4 vague prompts. Should be do-able I suppose.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Also by the looks of it you now have only 21 skill points as opposed to the regular 40(?), but with the abolition of skills I suppose the whole stat balance is changed anyway.

edit: yes I meant stat points.

sout posted:

gently caress me right?

sout fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 15, 2015

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Volkerball posted:

are we gonna start making GBS threads on the most sold game in world history now too

Tetris' story IS pretty flawless.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

zedprime posted:

I was pointing out that revolutionary FO4 is going to turn wasteland plot tropes on their head. You don't eat in FO4 because you are a robot. Everyone else eats your tato plants in Shanty Town because you're not about to eat them as a robot. I then bridged to other hot button topics that could be solved by the simple replicant plot twist.

The plot is you're The Replicated Man and you go to the Capital Wasteland and just wander around Rivet City for 18 hours after the intro sequence.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

"What............ Food?"

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Rinkles posted:

There's sprinting.

Raggghh this breaks the Fallout canon :argh: or something.
Seriously this is good, do we know if it runs off AP or some seperate stamina thing?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Are we gunna talk about the revolutionary new feature: the health bar now drains from right to left instead of into the middle.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Cephalocidal posted:

I'm at peace with this, I just wish they wouldn't try to push the third person camera as an option with a straight face. F3/FNV third person was basically first person, but with a shittily rigged Fullsail freshman project pinned to an invisible selfie stick floating in front of you. Skyrim was a slight improvement, because basically anything would be. This looks like it continues the trend, being marginally better than marginally better than utter loving dogshit. It's still not a selling point.

I never really tried to use third person for gameplay, especially combat, usually just to see myself doing a funny backwards diagonal moonwalk or to check if my character was wearing his sunglasses or not.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Fallout 4's at the xbox stream, but are they showing anything new?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Some story stuff happening

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Zeron posted:

Couple bits of new footage. New news is Xbox One will be able to use mods from PC.

My friend just bought a PS4, partly for playing Fallout 4. Heh.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Schurik posted:

He can't actually be your friend if you let him go through with that.

He's playing the Witcher 3 right now. He wasn't going to get a PC anyway.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

SIR, YOUR FAMILY IS DEAD

A: Happy
B: Sad
X: Trade
Y: Melancholy witticism

edit: huh, wrong thread, still applies

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Schurik posted:

Which thread did you want to post to?

The New Vegas one where someone mentioned the prologue drama being cheap

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I still think the protagonist is a replicant and the reason Mr. M'lady McFedoraTipper from Vault-Tec wanted your SPECIAL stats so they could accurately recreate the protagonist.

I doubt it but that sure would be neato.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Strap a power fist to a front paw.

I'm going to buy my dog two Collector's Edition Pipboys

sout
Apr 24, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

Same. Dogmeat is played out.

Also this is possible, because he's called "Dog" when he is approached in the trailer and "Dogmeat" in another gameplay section.
I hope the robots also have my dog's name pre-recorded too.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

graynull posted:

I wonder if there will be an option to turn the character voice off. Not that it sounds bad at all, but sometimes the voice doesn't fit the character you're making (or you're playing again and the voice has already embedded itself as belonging to another character).

Fallout has typically had multiple audio sliders so I would suspect so. Also it sounds like you can view conversations in first person too if you don't want to see your guy's dumb face.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Do we know if weapon condition returns?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

closeted republican posted:

It's loving NMA. If a Fallout game isn't the grimdark survival simulator they think Fallout 1 is, they will despise it.

I hope Bethesda start calling them "Todd Howard's Fallout 5" because that would be really funny.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

The base building stuff seems fairly neat but for someone with very little creativity like me I imagine I'll throw up 4 light panels and a staircase, call it a day and start searching caves and poo poo.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Fallout 4: 100% Daily Value of Salt

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

Well, even New Vegas had details about your past before the bullets assigned to you, even down to an antagonist, so you are even more right in that respect.

I think the only problem people have is the idea that you have to have been married up to the bombs going off and this implies your character sexuality more than before.

If the games angle is that you were an android though, those complaints kinda drown out.

Is the android thing based off of anything besides "that would be cool" because it sounds too convoluted. Seeing as the old leaks already seem to suggest the player is cryogenically frozen, that provides enough of a sci-fi reason for why he's alive 200 years later.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I'm pretty excited for the game, there's definitely some cool looking stuff in there but I am totally bummed out at the speech system and dialogue - while I don't mind a voiced protag this is their casting call dialogue.

Also I don't understand the levelling now, people think it will be like Skryim, but I don't even understand how it could be (doing stuff levels it up) when there's not even a stat screen to tell you what your skills are. We know at least there are barter bobbleheads etc, so... I dunno, it's all weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

I think it's that in the previous games once you left for the adventure, you left your background behind, and were no longer bound by any ties to the past (debatable). In FO4, with the PC returning home to his robot, there being an implied plot about his family etc., it seems like the plot will be at least partially about the character reclaiming his pre-war background, rather than about escaping it - so in effect there will be less of a space for player self-actualization. It's all speculation, but it's natural, given how prominently the character background features in all promo materials.

it's not gay if was 200 years ago.

• Locked thread