Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I just hope the gore system is incredibly silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Watch them keep SPECIAL but make it not do anything at all

Superfluous Programming Effectively Caused by Insane Amounts of Laziness

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Bleusilences posted:

It's to be speculation until e3 which is the 17th.

Watch E3 just be a bunch of trailers.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

sout posted:

Isn't the water still irradiated in Broken Steel? That was probably the first thing I checked.

Yeah. The sweep it under the rug as it just being less irradiated than before. Also the Mirelurks around the water purifier have less health because they thrived in irradiated water.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I always felt 3 had better atmosphere and NV had better gameplay. But atmosphere doesn't make up for a lack of polished or additional mechanics.

Also NV's overworld is kind of desolate. Not in an end-of-the-world nuclear wasteland way, but in a "wow there's a whole lot of nothing here" way compared to 3. And also the random events in 3 made the wasteland feel a bit more alive. Granted 3 copied and pasted a lot of things.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
The shooting in the modern Fallout games has always been sloppy, even with VATS's many shortcomings ignored. It was hard to utilize cover when the objects had less-than-airtight hitboxes so your gun which was clearly poking above whatever you're using as cover would somehow just have the bullets come out of the grip instead of the barrel and hit the thing anyways. On top of the the ironsights being mostly unclear, crippling limbs being mostly pointless when you can just headshot them and kill them right away, and that half the enemies couldn't aim to save their lives even on the hardest setting and the optimal strategy was usually just bumrushing, which the enemies seem to be aware of because that's also all they do.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Neeksy posted:

Reading that article earlier, I don't see the problem with the kids in the vaults still echoing 50s culture or how much of what's out there still having that style. They are completely locked in a space that's (with one glaring exception) never had interaction with the outside world in any meaningful way; their entire cultural text is holotapes from that time period and they don't appear to have the facilities to create new ones. Their education system has literally not evolved in the 200 years since it's started, so there's no real progression there. Even outside the vaults, culture and media only exist in what remains from the old world since the environment is so harsh that most peoples' time is occupied finding sustenance or maintaining what little order they can create. In that situation, who has time to create art? Without the ability to create and circulate new media or cultural texts, people will default to what is already there; oral record is as much as they have. The most advanced they have is radio, and even then the song selections are whatever is left.

Basically the world of Fallout got blasted back to an almost medieval level of communication and strife, but somehow worse because you have even more chaos in the form of a radiation that sticks to water and doesn't seem to have a half-life.

The thing is that every vault that wasn't an outright social experiment had only average people with, as you said, constantly circulated media, incredibly small population, and a soulless environment with no natural scenery, aesthetics, or ecology. There also doesn't even to seem to be a method to facilitate scientific research in most of them, just regurgitating medicine and experiments in texts. So naturally every vault is in a constant state of stagnation and only can produce slight variations on the culture that is and will always be present, that being whatever was common during the time the vaults sealed.

That's an analytical, sociological reason. The practical (and most likely actual) reason is because video games.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Neeksy posted:

Well yes, the real reason is because they want to keep the nuclear optimism aesthetic for thematic purposes for a video game, but the article posted earlier spends a lot of time being angry at Fallout 3 for having that kind of culture, when it's actually pretty easy to explain in terms of either sociological reasoning or for aesthetic/theme.

Oh sorry, I missed that. Could you give me a link?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I actually didn't even notice that I shot and killed Follows-Chalk because I was using Bloody Mess, and when I hit him with the ATR he just turned into a pile of gore and slid into the canyon. I also did it so fast that the message saying I failed a lot of the missions didn't show up, or I at least didn't notice them because I was still getting the messages from the start of the quest.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Fallout 4 looks like a fun game that I will pay attention to during its development and potentially purchase from a location which sells video games with the money gained from my personal income to play on my video gaming platform of choice.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Yaos posted:

Might as well take it out completely since it's not fun at all to spam a door until it magically unlocks for you.

A skill check would be nice.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

cthulhoo posted:

a great game

for a clown to play

in the circus

I'd trust the opinion about whether something's fun or not from a clown.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

mackintosh posted:

One thing I'm curious about, having watched the presentation just now - why go to all the trouble of naming the baby, if your family supposedly gets incinerated, or dies via some other means? Seems like an awful lot of attention to detail for a short opening sequence.

Probably a plot twist where they're also alive or something.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

MisterBibs posted:

What boggles my mind about this whole thing is that whenever the next game in the Fallout series rolls around, 80% of what you might've done as the previous character is lost to history, in-universe. Sure, you defeated A and saved B and known throughout the Wasteland as C, but nowhere is it memorialized the little details. Maybe it's just be, but I could never bring myself to kvetch over the role-playing part of things without a ME3-style system in place.

That sounds like it would be nice on paper but you need to consider that Fallout is a series that spans over three platforms now. A little questionnaire or something at the start would be neat, though.

I just thought of something, though. Do you think this Fallout will reference the others like New Vegas or 2 and even 3 or will it just be another self-contained kind of game?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Steve2911 posted:

Your character somehow doesn't age for 200 years so it's hardly a massive stretch to assume something similar could happen to the babby.

Vault 111's experiment will probably be cryogenics.

Somebody should compile a list of these Fallout predictions people are throwing out and repost them when the game is released.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I really hope the "evil" voice lines makes your character talk like some evil Batman wannabe.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

SunAndSpring posted:

I hope that the Institute is a faction that sees using androids as cheap labor as a good way to build a stable and functioning society for humans, even if some androids might not like being slaves, instead of a bunch of evil assholes who want to gently caress the Boston wasteland with their robot dicks.

Nobody's robot's that long. Not even Long Robot Johnson.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

ToxicAcne posted:

I wonder when they said that they picked 1000 of the most common names for the protagonist, are they all going to be Western European names? I understand that it wouldn't fit the setting but my own name (Muhammad) would be cool to have included.

Probably. The reason for being so either because of the practical reason you'd be better off trying to please the most common person rather than one or two outliers or in-universe reason that it's 50's America if it were somehow even more xenophobic, so people usually wouldn't have non-western names.

But now you've got me wondering if they're going to reuse the westernized names when they localize it for other countries, or actually sit down and look up the top 1,000 most common names in Germany or something.

I also hope that the character's don't just have a gap in their dialogue where it just loads them saying the character's name, because they almost always sounds weird.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Rinkles posted:

You can customize them because you can choose to be them.

They did say that they had a system where the baby would look like both couples.

He actually didn't even touch the customization for the wife, so it's up the air about whether or not the spouse you chose to not play can be customized.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
My god, that camera is nauseatingly close to the ground for a top-down game.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
The plot twist is that you are the child, and your family of three were frozen in cryogenics but it malfunctioned, so your body was destroyed save for your brain, your parent of the same sex became brain dead, and the opposite parent outright died. At the end of the game, this is revealed along with the fact that your brain was transplanted into your braindead parent so you are both your parent and yourself at the same time.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Let's be honest each other, with ourselves, with T. Howard: The game needs crotch shots. Like, I realize that somebody out there is spitting out their Ramune and insisting that head shots are the only thing that really "matter" in targeted combat, but the reality is that the best way to shoot somebody is not necessarily the best way to kill them. Unreal Tournament '99 had a community-made mutator that added "crotch shots" and it was always at the top of THE list.

The game also needs targeted melee, predominately for targeted melee crotch shots.

Let's just cut out the middle man. Pull a Saints Row 3 and just have a button for hitting people in the crotch.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Pwnstar posted:

The grown up baby will be the main bad guy. If you have good karma then he's evil and if you have bad karma then he's good. Either way his master plan is basically the same thing and he will try to guilt you for leaving him.

What if you change your karma mid-story?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

sout posted:

OH HEY BUDDY WHAT'S GOING ON?

I really hope that's just a Dead Space-y death animation and not a grab that they will invariably and constantly use.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

sout posted:

Holy poo poo. I never really even tried rampaging on Skyrim, is ANYONE killable?
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Essential_NPCs

Almost none of the villager NPCs are killable, even ones that you'd have a genuinely good reason to kill, like the drunk who constantly insults you or the theif that tells you to crash a ship and kill everyone on board. It's ridiculous, especially for a lot of quests where if you're trying to play as a heroic character or something, and you get stuck with a quest where a guy is ordering telling you to do some pretty horrible things.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Mordaedil posted:

Despite not needing to and apparently the guy he kamikaze'd somehow survived the radiation overload that murdered your dad in seconds, despite also going to the ground faster than him and being left for dead for as long as it takes you to leave.

Kind of a giant plothole that.

If you watch closely, he injects magically scientific not-dying medicine into his arm.

Which leads to more plot holes Like why he wouldn't just give it to his soldiers so they can go in and guess the very complicated 3-digit code.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
My only problem with the Enclave in 3 was just that they were cartoonishly evil. They had borderline no redeeming value whatsoever, and the only character who outright supported the Enclave without actually being a part of them was some old guy in Megaton who, for no reason, gets captured and tortured by the Enclave.

Granted, he eventually comes back to Megaton and still spouts that he loves the Enclave, but that's just lazy programming. What I'm trying to say is that the Enclave mostly just feels evil for the sake of being evil in 3. If they decide to start running around and messing everything up in 4, I hope it's for a morally just yet misguided reason. Or they're just some neutral-party opportunists.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

frajaq posted:

But they have cool-looking armor!

Well you got me there. Good enough for 4, then.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
A rushed QA bugtesting, an international release, a $60 price tag, and a day-one patch.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

OwlFancier posted:

Hahaha $60 it's £50 here.

£50 is worth about 80 American dollars.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Call me a sociopath, but I'm really happy the gore is returning and I'm curious to see if they've touched it up in any way.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Oh making settlements costs bottlecaps? Now I'll have more caps than the total polygons of the overworld by lategame instead of only mid.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Was the Xbox the most powerful and versatile system of that generation? Everything from back then is just a blocky blur to me.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Skyrim had an awful lot of one-choice dialogue "trees," so four choices seems pretty good to me.

There's so many characters you should be able to backstab, especially the ones that try to convince you to randomly destroy property or kill people just because. And the only response you can give when you "agree" to do them is asking what to destroy and by how much.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Dialogue wheels are bad because sometimes I just want to say "no thanks" but the dialogue wheel says "NO AND ALSO gently caress YOU YOU'RE A PIECE OF poo poo"

My problem is sometimes the dialogue wheels don't summarize what your character will actually say. This was a big problem for me in Mass Effect, where the dialogue wheel would just say "No kidding!" or "Sigh..." but the actual dialogue was something along the lines of, "your observations of the obvious are awe-inspiring," and "I should really just kill you now," respectively.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Phrasing posted:

What kind of Boston themed Vaults will there be?

Vault 142, where the water supply is replaced with watered-down beer.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
About as much as there usually is.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Every time I hear people talking about Fallout and "morally gray choices," I can only think of The Pitt DLC for Fallout 3 which touted that all the karma choices were morally neutral but still had a very distinct "good" or "evil" choice for every decision. Like having to pick between kidnapping a baby and leaving it with an adoptive mother to cure a life-threatening pandemic disease and free the slaves or not kidnap a baby and let everyone slowly rot to death and be slaves.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Do strategy guides count as books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Was there ever an RPG where the random populous initially look down on you early on and then treat you like the freakish muscular meat pile you are late game?

• Locked thread