Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Fallout 4 is going to turn out to be all a dream world created by a man that could not cope when his baby died. He put a plastic baby doll in the crib and pretends it's his kid, and then the dog from Ghosts infiltrates his dreams and has to pull him out.

Here's a portion of that 4K picture from the OP and they are using all over the Internet. I stole it from the GBS Fallout 4 thread.

Bethesda was tired of all the developers making pre rendered real time trailers so they made all the promotional material from the worst platform,The Xbone One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Bholder posted:

You'd be surprised how many people actually wanted this for Skyrim... and the amount of people who would flay themselves if that happened.

The player character in Skyrim is voiced.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Republican Vampire posted:

Because it's a lazy way of giving the protagonist pathos and ignorance of the setting, but the necessarily brief glimpse we get of his life before the story proper starts undercuts our ability to care about what he's nominally lost.

How is it lazier than giving the player character amnesia in your favorite Fallout?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

sout posted:

There's always a vault. There's always a man. There's always a guy who says "war never changes."
So you're saying this is in the Bioshock canon?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

1stGear posted:

Bethesda's main problem is that we live in a world where The Witcher 3 exists.

Nobody can make a game as lovely as The Witcher 3, but I'm sure Bethesda will try.

Republican Vampire posted:

The Courier doesn't have amnesia. He or she is just a totally blank slate who can be as ignorant or aware as the player wants.
Also known as amnesia.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Ahahahahahahaha

Not only does everybody in this shot have the same skeleton, it's the same animation from Fallout 3.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Also note that its the exact same run animation they've been using since Oblivion lmfao

That dude on the left is using the same crouch animation.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

SunAndSpring posted:

I heard the lead animator for Bethesda Studios was a college friend of Todd Howard who got hired despite the fact that he failed his computer animation course at college twice.

You failed making good posts but that never stopped you.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

I just started a rumor that Seth MacFarlane will be doing multiple voices in the game. Interesting if true.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Information about Fallout 4 was leaked 11 months ago and it turns out the leak was true. It's really long so don't be afraid of splitting your pants by going to Reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/28v2dn/i_played_fallout_4/

quote:

Before you all say: "TROLL!" "LIAR!", etc, you can all can your mouths and ask one of the Bethesda Employees about Me (my username is my name) and they will confirm I worked for Bethesda. I am strictly posting this in "Revenge" for them firing me.

Anyways, I worked at Bethesda Game Studios in Maryland up until last month before I was fired for releasing confidential information (but it was an accident!) and so here I am, sitting unemployed with my 2 kids thanks to those fools. So, I wanted to say: I worked on, and played, Fallout 4. Yes, I did.

I want to confirm that the recent leaks about Fallout 4 are true. In Fallout 4, you are in Boston, and it takes place in the year 2287, exactly 10 years after Fallout 3. In Fallout 4, mixing things up, we are making the game more "Story Based" and the player character will finally talk, and narrate his storyline.

At the beginning of the game, you create your character (You can only be a male in the main story), and afterward, you start the game with a blast. After the blast, you awake to see the building you are standing inside blown apart and your wife, Lydia, dead. Robots and Androids are storming the place, killing and kidnapping the people inside. You, known as "The Officer", must escape and get revenge.

LOCATION: Fallout 4 is set in and around Boston and the surrounding countryside.

The downtown area is entirely controlled by "The Institute", a group of techies and scholars, as well as researchers, who devote their lives to technology. The countryside area is a "Wasteland" with small towns and settlements, as well as vaults here and there. Logan International Airport is taken over by the Brotherhood of steel, who are there trying to control the technology, and are currently waging a war against the institute, as they both have disagreements as to who should be in control of the technology in the area.

Meanwhile, Vault 79, located outside of Boston, is under the control by "The Railroad", a group of people dedicated to helping Androids escape the institute.
The map of Fallout 4 is about 3 times the size of Skyrim. The reason for this is to make a much more realistic and interactive world, that players can always find new things, even if they have played it for years after release.

FACTIONS:
The Railroad returns from Fallout 3, where you only had a small glimpse of it during the "Replicated man" quest. In this game, they are a full faction and are much larger.

The Brotherhood Of Steel returns and control Logan Airport. This BOS is not the same as seen in Fallout 3. Instead, a similar BOS to the ones seen in the classic Fallout games as well as Fallout New Vegas make an appearance, only caring about technology, and will obtain it by force if they have to.

The Institute returns from Fallout 3, and is headed by a man named Thomas Littleton. They are the primary antagonists of the game, and control most of Boston Downtown. Their patrols in Downtown Boston are the counterpart in this game to the Super Mutants in Downtown DC in Fallout 3.

Talon Company also returns, but in a much smaller force. They base operations outside of a bunker located in Downtown Boston.
Raiders return too.

CREATURES:
Super Mutants return, in the same form as the ones from Fallout 3, keeping in line with the "East Coast" mutants.

Feral Ghouls return as well.

Vicious Dogs return.

Feral Cats are new, and exclusively located in one of the vaults.

Spore Carriers return from Fallout New Vegas, and are located in sewers.

RETURNING CHARACTERS:
Madison Li returns from Fallout 3. 10 years prior to Fallout 4, she left D.C after the Loss of James and having thought she lost the lone wanderer as well. Having had enough, she left to Boston, as it is home to one of the biggest Scientific facilities. Madison will once again be voiced by Jennifer Massey.
Three Dog returns as well, although he is only heard on the radio, and not seen in person. People believe the radio is not actually live, and that it is simply a looped recording. (Based on the fact that you CAN kill him in Fallout 3.) He is voiced by Erik Todd Dellums.

Bryan Wilks returns from Fallout 3. Yes, the little boy you saved from Grayditch. He is now 19 years old and is a mercenary, working with Talon Company. He bases his reason as to working with them on "Once someone saved me, and I wanted to be just like them!" He is voiced by Jerry Jewell.

Other Fallout 3 characters return as well, but only through save transfer (Detailed below).
PLATFORMS:
Fallout 4 will be available for a wide range of platforms after launch. The first version that will be released is being developed for Playstation 4, Xbox One and PC. This version uses a brand new engine built from the ground up to take advantage of the power of next gen systems. Absolutely everything is new, and no assets or scrips are being used from Fallout 3/NV or Skyrim.

Fallout 4 will also be available on Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. This version is also being developed by Bethesda Game Studios, but will release a year after the advanced version. This version runs on the Creation Engine, the same engine that powered Skyrim. This is being done so that PS3/360 users can play the game without problem. Everything will be the same in this version as the advanced version, except for the graphics, gameplay and some additional features.

Also, Fallout 4 on PS3 and Xbox 360, last I knew, was around 20GB+. This means that it will most definitely require install. Also, players of the PS3/360 version will be pleased to know that Fallout 4 will be able to import your Fallout 3 save, and adapt choices you made from that game for Fallout 4. This means that some additional characters could pop up, depending on if you killed them or not in Fallout 3. Also, some story references from Fallout 3 will be mentioned. Did the BOS save the capitol wasteland? Or did it fall? Did Sarah turn on the purifier and die? Or did the lone wanderer do it? It might get mentioned depending on your choices!
DEVELOPERS: Fallout 4 is being developed by Bethesda Game Studios, the same developer behind Fallout 3.

GAMEPLAY:
Fallout 4 plays similar to Fallout 3 and New Vegas. You can play in Third Person or First Person, or on the PC version, a new "Classic Mode" that will put the game into birds eye view and play similar to the classic Fallout Games. (Although by my experience, it actually looked and played more like the PS2/Xbox Fallout: Brotherhood of steel.)

Unlike Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, you can only play as a man. This is due to the storyline requiring it. However, after the main story is over, you can have a gender change. BGS did not rule out Females for possible standalone DLC, however.

Additionally, full support for Trophies/Achievements are present on all console versions, and full steamworks support is present for the PC version.

PROGRESS: By my estimate, Fallout 4's PS4/XboxOne/PC version is about 40% complete, while the PS3/Xbox360 version is about 15% complete. Both versions are being developed by BGS.

RELEASE DATE: BGS has a "Roadmap" already planned out for Fallout 4 and a spinoff. I already was informed about it from the studio when I worked there, and I read it. Basically, the roadmap is this:
June 2015 - Fallout 4 reveal at E3, trailer only
July 2015 - First gameplay trailers
August 2015 - More information
October 2015 - PS4/Xbox One/PC release
November 2015 - First DLC
December 2015 - Second DLC, as well as PS3/360 version release
January 2016 - Third DLC
March 2016 - Forth DLC
April 2016 - Fifth and Final DLC
June 2016 - Fallout Spinoff revealed, in development by Behaviour Interactive.
October 2016 - Fallout Spinoff released for PS4/Xbox One/PC
PROOF:
As I said, ask about me, but don't ask about this. If you do, it will 100% be denied. Bethesda will not comment on rumors.

PS. I leaked some of the first Fallout 4 info by accident, and it ended up in the hands of Kotaku. Oops.

She does say no assets are reused, and it's pretty obvious they are reused in the trailer, so maybe she's a really good liar?

Edit: OML, read the comments, everybody ripped the post apart and really hammered on the things we know are true now.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 4, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

NightVis posted:

the casting documents leaked (which seem to be accurate) called for both male/female VAs for the main character too

Maybe Todd Howard got angry at the whole GamerGate thing and demanded the player character only be male.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Are you seriously holding up Fallout 3's main plot as a good high quality story?

If we're only going to talk about high quality stories we'll need to stop talking about video games.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Farm Frenzy posted:

This is a cop out. Hairs' a thought for ya: there are stories that aren't brilliant but succeed at what they set out to do (new vegas) and stories that are dumb poo poo for retards (fallout 3). Just a tip.

I've never once played a videogame with a story that succeeds what it sets out to do. They always collapse in on themselves in plot holes and trying to be edgy. It's like George Lucas worked on every video game.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

closeted republican posted:

How are things at NMA?

That has to be NeoGAF. Nobody at No Mutants Allowed can string together a coherent sentence, let alone that many.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

SD87 posted:

really siked for the new fallout! My goodest bud passed away a few years ago and this was his favorite video game series so i'll be buying a next gen system and playing this one for my dead homie! Can't wait!

So you're saying that Todd Howard directly led to his death. If he knew Fallout 4 was coming out 15/15/15 he would have had the will to live. Good job Todd, you killed another one.

The gunplay looked a lot better than Fallout 3.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

SunAndSpring posted:

I thought it was pretty good. I hope the roleplaying and story will be good, but at the very least it might be a fun game to gently caress around in. Don't like that the protagonist is voiced. Feels like a weird choice and the voice actor is bland.

Mod makers are going to have an even tougher time with dialogue. :( Gonna be like Oblivion when the beggars sound like old men and then suddenly have that strong nordic voice.

Edit: I could have sworn there was a dialogue option with more than 4 choices. Somebody look for it for me, I'll be busying counting money from my Zenimax shares.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

SunAndSpring posted:

Wait a minute. Looked through the stream archives. Why are there no skills?

They are in there, they just didn't show them, just like perks.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Back Hack posted:

I honestly don't know what to think about that Fallout demo. I liked certain things about it (customization, new crafting, voice acting, and the none putty faces), but hated hated other aspects of it (gunplay, that conversation wheel, and the base building). The only honest opinion I can say about it :shrug: and the fact they didn't mention anything story wise outside the scripted intro has me worried.

The gunplay looks a million times better than Fallout 3. With the conversation wheel I could have sworn one of them had more than 4 options. Base building will own my bones.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm reading the Stat descriptions and it's starting look like they did that and consolidated them into SPECIAL. Agility says it affects your stealth, Charisma affects bartering rates, and so on. That's really dumb.

Your SPECIAL stats in Fallout 3 also changed your skill stats.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

If they changed skills they probably changed it like Skyrim, where you can't gently caress yourself over by tagging the wrong skills or leveling up with the wrong skills.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Blistex posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Those "700+ mods" are just hundreds of mostly useless things pasted on to a dozen weapons or so. (hoping it's not like this again)

There's 50 base weapons and 700+ mods total.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

SPECIAL is iconic and they wouldn't squander that kind of fan goodwill. My inner sperg was a bit miffed when I saw that all the SPECIAL stats in the screen where you choose them start at 1 though

Too many idiots didn't realize you can decrease the numbers in Fallout 3 and New Vegas even though there's a minus for it and that's how numbers work. Previously Recorded, from Red Letter Media fame, had one hell of a time figuring out SPECIAL even though it told them what was happening in giant letters in the middle of the screen.

ShadowMar posted:

That UI looked pretty bad but what else is new for Bethesda games. Hopefully it's easy to mod.
Looked fine to me.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

That one dude is right, there is only a SPECIAL menu and a perk menu on the pipboy. We saw skill books in the teaser trailer though. :confused:

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Volkerball posted:

SPECIAL at least provides some customization that skyrim didn't have anywhere, but i hope it's not a the more you shoot guns, the higher your guns skill is kind of deal.

According to the Pipboy, there are no separate skills from the SPECIAL menu and the perks menu. However, crafting has a weapon mod require rank 1 in science and crafting gives you XP. Most likely it's like Skyrim, except you don't have skill levels that increase with use. I'm guessing each level up gives you one point to put into a skill (which they call perks now), which either unlocks something unique automatically or opens up something unique you can spend another skill point to unlock.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Praetorian Mage posted:

Something else about the dialogue system: It looks like it's like Mass Effect in that you don't see exactly what you'll be saying. That's not good.

Why isn't that good? Now they can have the character say poo poo without you needing to impulsively read a paragraph of text for every option like previous games.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

Maybe they just include Skills in the Perks tab or maybe Perks are the new Skills and they canned Perks instead, which would make more sense. I barely paid attention to the +5% damage against Cazadors poo poo anyway :unsmith:
Skyrim referred to the things you pick in the level up screen as perks. Another option than what I said before would be buying perks in skill trees, which increases the rank of that skill tree.

Edit: So you buy the perk that let's you talk in public without pooping your pants and your speech skill rank goes up because your pants are not full of poop.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Zeron posted:

Pretty excited about most of the stuff that was shown, but the ingame UI looked awful and the pipboy UI looked like a reskinned version of the awful UI from 3/NV.
Are you joking? http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Pip-Boy_2000

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

I'm going to enjoy Fallout 4 while all you nerds cry about how videogames are art or whatever it is you dummies like to do rather than play video games.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

CJacobs posted:

That is a shame. I really don't like giving the main character a more established backstory than "grew up in a vault" or "was a courier". Fallout 3 had you play through your childhood and it was one of the best parts of the game, I feel, because it allowed you to shape your character's history. This game, from what I've read, just GIVES you a history and you have to shape the character around that. Which sucks.

Your character's backstory is that you are a generic conservative living in the suburbs.

The worst part about Bethesda's conference was the lack of professional dancers and talk about "new experiences". Where were the little kid actors pretending to play a video game? Where was the forced dialogue between a man and a woman that have never talked to the opposite sex? Bethesda needs to get this fixed for next year.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

ShadowMar posted:

I hope they take out the lockpicking and hacking minigames and make them skill/perk checks instead.

They aren't fun in any game.

Might as well take it out completely since it's not fun at all to spam a door until it magically unlocks for you.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm all in favour of Skill Points not being tied to Intelligence, but Intelligence as is seems kinda lame.

Don't bring yourself down like that my main man.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

I watched the Fallout 4 thing again and noticed some buildings you can't see through the windows. :(

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Got a screen or timestamp?

It's in the part where the dude tells his dog he's ready to gently caress poo poo up. It's weird though because some buildings you can't see through the windows, but then next to it is a completely open building that's just as big or even bigger. Maybe those other buildings are not done yet.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

DOMDOM posted:

Ah yes silly me to complain about garbage pre-rendered lighting. Static floodlights don't alleviate this concern.

Has there been any footage showing an honest to goodness flashlight moving and dynamically illuminating an area? I mean it's 2015 so I hope so but I just assumed not. Please link if you got it!
They have to have a dynamic light system for the settlement light system.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

In the Xbox conference they named the player character "Phil Spencer" and gave him 10 Charisma and 3 Intelligence. :owned:

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Bholder posted:

Actually in Fallout 2 your character speaks up unprompted a couple of times.

For me groin shots was one of the defining features of Fallout. Seriously, there was no reason to cut that.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

PerpetualSelf posted:

I'm pretty sure you can still point yur gun at someones groin

I disagree!
http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthread.php?178412-27-Things-About-Fallout-3-and-then-some

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Back To 99 posted:

Hopefully there'll be dialogue options where the PC doesn't sound like an rear end in a top hat.

This thread shows a player character that always sounds like an rear end in a top hat would be realistic.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Deakul posted:

So, I heard FO4's doing away with skills and perks?

Fallout 4 is now a linear cinematic FPS set in the 80's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

From the preview it looks like you can just never talk to the dog and never have it follow you.

You must gather your dog before venturing forth.

• Locked thread